Aria - Perennial Artisan Ales

good

Perennial Artisan Ales visit their website
Missouri, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.20% ABV

Belgian Style Ale with Brettanomyces Bruxellensis.

(Beer added by: kylehay2004 on 11-15-2012)
Reviews by LambicPentameter:
3.81/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewing from notes after drinking on 11/8/14. Enjoyed out of a 750 mL bottle with no dating that I can seem to find on the bottle, but I do know that it was picked up by Mrs. Lambic directly from the brewery in late September, so it's reasonably fresh (not that it matters for this style). Poured into a large Belgian style tulip glass.

Appearance (4.0) - While this isn't the first time I've had this beer, it's certainly the first time I've enjoyed it out of a bottle, rather than on tap. And I don't know if it's common, but this one is a gusher, like so many Brett-fermented Belgian pale ales seem to be. One hour later (I keed), I've finally managed to get a reasonable pour into my glass, with a stark white head of four fingers towering over a body of murky honey-orange. By this time, the foam has begun to break down, leaving a web of large bubbles akin to swiss cheese or ciabatta. After a good while, it dissipates, leaving sticky patches of lace on the sides of the glass and a pile of stubborn foam forming an island in the middle of the liquid.

Smell (4.0) - A nice blend of aromas going on here. That distinctive funkiness that is quintessential in any brett beer, with a nice fruity complement of tropical notes, with some pineapple and perhaps starfruit coming through. Beneath the yeast characteristics is a pleasant bready base reminiscent of sourdough. I must say I'm a sucker for the aroma on these types of beers, but this one certainly does not disappoint.

Taste (3.75) - Many of the same elements from the aroma are still present, with light fruitiness and some musty funk going on, but all are a bit more subdued than in the smell, unfortunately. Still good, I just wish there were more going on. There is also some dry bitterness as often will be present in this style of beer, but that is far and away the most pressing characteristic.

Mouthfeel (3.75) - Medium body and high carbonation combine to create a mouthfeel I would be tempted to describe as fluffy or spongy, given the dominance of the carbonation. The finish is dry.

Overall (3.75), while there are definitely some elements to this beer I positively love, I have to dock the score a bit for the gushing and for the fact that the flavor just isn't as vibrant as I feel it could be. It's strikes me as one of many Orval-inspired beers, but just doesn't quite recapture the magical funky weirdness of the original. That said, it's an excellent beer that can be found on the shelf at pretty much any time without needing to worry about freshness, given the style. I'm sure I'll find myself drinking it again in the future.

3.56/5  rDev -4%

4.76/5  rDev +28.3%

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

Lively, expressive, crisp, and a touch of funk. Ripe exotic fruit ... dragon fruit. Cracker maltiness, nutty yeast. Some musty funk within. Hint of warmth from the alcohol. Great use of brett, like that there is still a hint of sweetness here though I wonder where this brew would be after another 6-12 months of cellaring. Glad I had it now though.

3.16/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Golden with a bit of reddish highlights. Minimal carbonation. Effervescent carbonation. The nose seems to be a battle of Brett and coriander. I'll give the Brett a slight advantage. The taste is again a struggle between the Brett and coriander and this is a much tighter race. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth. I just don't know that this blend of flavors really works well together.

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter. Shared by schen9303.

Pours a .5 finger foamy white head with poor retention. Beer is semi-clear orange. Lacing is stringy with decent stick. Legs are thin and oily. Decent looking beer but head retention and clarity could use some work for the style.

Nose is coriander, peppercorn, Belgian yeast, honey, and cane sugar with a very mild Brett funk in the back. Pretty clean and appetizing. Appropriate for the style too.

Opens sweet and nutty. Coriander, nutmeg, brown sugar, and Belgian yeast in the middle. Some caramel and walnut flavors floating around too. End is clove and more Belgian yeast with a sweet, honey finish. Good complexity but really a bit too sweet for me overall.

Light bodied with moderate to ample carbonation. Light, fluffy, and a bit prickly in the mouth. Goes down quenching and clean. Messy finish with a long, lingering, filmy finish. I kinda like this.

A nice sessionable beer that tastes nowhere near its ABV. This is dangerously drinkable but overall, the malt body is too much for me here. I'd revisit this one but its by no means one of the better offerings in its style.

3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep reddish body. Clear with a nice off white head. Good retention.

Smell - Fruity. Caramel. Yeasty and malty.

Taste - Malty with a apple-y flavor. Very fruity. Deep caramel in the middle. Dries out in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, maybe medium heavy. High carbonation.

Overall - I don't get the brett at all. Generic maltiness and yeast flavors.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%