Barrel-Aged Abraxas - Perennial Artisan Ales

Wants: 1,362
Perennial Artisan Ales visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Imperial Stout aged 11 months in Rittehouse rye whiskey barrels with cacao nibs, ancho chiles, vanilla beans, and cinnamon.

(Beer added by: Etan on 11-18-2012)
4.68/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at the Great Taste. I still remember the taste of this beer which I got about 4 ounces of. I honestly should not be doing this as a review but I have to share my thoughts on this beer right now for my own record-keeping purposes.

This beer poured out of the pitcher a dark brown, nearly black body with a nice 1cm mocha head that dissipated over a few minutes into pretty much nothing, not even a film. It looked very viscous. As I drink it down, you can see cinnamon particles on the sides of the glass plus a decent bit of lacing. That tells me the beer is sticky as hell.

The beer smells like cinnamon toast crunch with chocolate milk. It smells so decadently chocolatey sweet mixed with straight up vanilla and so, so much cinnamon. I tried but could not get any of the spicy peppers in the nose. It's very strong and pungent, I really enjoyed smelling this beer!

The taste is where the money is at. It's pure cinnamon up front tempered by a sweet milk chocolate flavour. Then there's a burst of vanilla throughout, a sweet kind of vanilla that combines with everything to make this beer sort of taste like liquid marshmallows. And that's not all- there is a not-very-subtle peppery spiciness that burns a decent bit on the back end. It is all in all, a delicious beer and a major improvement on the regular Abraxas- which didn't have that marshmallowy flavour to it.

Mouthfeel is great- very full bodied, creamy and viscous beer with a spicy peppery kick on the back-end. I was so happy with my four ounce pour, I would absolutely accept more but this beer was just so thick, decadent and rich that I was satisfied after 4 ounces. No booziness at all in this beer, and everything was so well integrated.

Overall, absolutely worth the hype. The regular Abraxas is awesome but this took it to a whole other level. That marshmallowy chewiness on top of the cinnamon, peppers and chocolate was just something else entirely. It's not Bourbon Barrel Vanilla Bean Dark Lord but it's not very far off from that either.

Re-review: Batch 2 black wax bottle poured into a FFF/DMC snifter 6/21/2014. Same appearance and mouthfeel as described above. The nose and palate seem to be rather focused around the bourbon barrel-aging and cinnamon sticks. There is some chocolate fudge from the malts, but it tastes like bourbon soaked cinnamon sticks. Which is certainly excellent. Still, I am missing some of the complexities of the base Abraxas beer, especially in comparison to Double Barrel Hunahpu's which we drank just before opening this one. This is certainly an excellent choice if you enjoy cinnamon spices and barrel-aged stouts, but it may very well not be worth the price of admission. As usual, I won't be changing the score based on the initial review, but this would be something more like a 4.55 if I did.. then again, I'm comparing this to a top 5 beer in Double Barrel Huna, so it doesn't reflect particularly poorly on this excellent stout.

Stevedore, Jun 22, 2014

dmsohyea, Today at 04:39 AM
4.4/5  rDev -6.8%

acurtis, Today at 12:56 AM
4.5/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle generously shared by Seth. Dark brown/black pour with a chocolate head. Great lacing. Cinnamon, caramel and fudge blast the old sniffer. Great body with big fudge, rich caramel, and cinnamon notes that give way to the heat from the ancho chilies. Wow, a real stunner. Good carbonation, good balance, great mouthfeel. It’s simply delicious,what more can I say...

dboon, Today at 01:26 PM

Evan, Yesterday at 10:15 PM

Jamie4beer, Wednesday at 03:57 AM

Burntknuckles, Tuesday at 09:14 PM
4.8/5  rDev +1.7%

Picked out by my lovely wife to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary, & that’s about all you need to know about what a fine bride I have. Fifteen years. Damn. 750ML bottle I won in the lottery this year…which I entered once. On a whim. After a drunken tasting. Lucky me!

Pour is black, carbonation active for a beer of its weight. The nose is delicious but hard to tease apart – other than the chocolate, which has fudgy hands all over the aroma. Underneath is gorgeous vanilla, warm chilies, more sweetness from the malts. The balance is exquisite.

Abraxas – Barrel Aged is simply a world-class beer even with one of my favorite ingredients, dry-hopped hype. But hell, the base beer is nearly perfect; how much better could a barrel make it? What’s astounding is that you can swish this beer around in your mouth & identify each lovely taste: strong natural vanilla, artisan chocolate that washes through & around every component of the beer, light cinnamon. Chilies hit the sweet spot in the bat, neither under- nor over-done, providing light without heat, so to speak. Whiskey barrel? Barely visible on the aftertaste, slight enough that it could be missed amidst the harmony of flavors. This is a beer that, if I could get enough of it, I’d drink constantly. This should come with an IV kit.

An elite-level beer: but if you’re not a ticker, steer clear. The barrel really adds minimally to what was already an incredible stout. Get thee some regular old Abraxas, son, & know that you’re not missing much by not having this whale. Except a similarly great brew.

maximum12, Tuesday at 02:16 AM