Bomb Lager - Bomb Beer Company

Bomb LagerBomb Lager

Bomb Beer Company visit their website
New York, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: aerozeppl on 07-24-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bomb Lager Alström Bros

DoubleSimcoe, Feb 29, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -27.4%

sendbeer, Oct 23, 2012

CBPAS, Mar 04, 2012

moelikeit, Feb 10, 2012

WDJersey, Jul 26, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a clear golden straw color with a finger of soapy white head. A very sweet and grainy aroma to the beer. Almost sugary with very little hop or yeast aromas like you might expect from a half decent lager. Just a lot of sweetness. The flavor is a bit bland and watery, despite the sweet aroma. It still is sweet, but not cloyingly so, which I was somewhat anticipating. Not too much really going on, honestly. The body is light and the carbonation is moderate.

womencantsail, Jan 08, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -8.7%

Very pale yellow at the pour with a nice white 1” head. Lacing is excellent for the style with heavy drapes hanging around the glass. A decent whiff of malt and very pronounced sour fruit notes. Any hop presence is noticeably absent.

Pretty sour at the start and a middle that was almost fruitlike. Taste is not unpleasant, but is also rather neutral. Finishes with a quick flash of hoppiness before turning watery and leaving very little aftertaste. Body is thin, which makes it very easy to drink but also makes it easy to forget that you’re drinking. Wish this one had more hops to keep me interested.

Tastes much more like a typical light lager than a Helles Bock. Bomb Lager isn’t undrinkable, but it is rather unremarkable. Put a Naragansett Bock and a Bomb Lager in front of me; I’ll drink the ‘Gansett while checking out the artwork on the Bomb can.

Another6Pack, Aug 22, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

Right now this is $11 a case and it is summer time so why not.

A: Super clear yellow in color. A thin covering of white head with some spotty lacing.

S: The nose is quite tight but clean. Little bit of sweetnees. Touch of malt with a little bit of breadiness.

T: Quite a clean lager. You get a touch of bitterness in the finish but that is about it. An easy drinking summer beer nothing more nothing less.

M: Light body. Soft carbonation.

D: You could drink a few of these. For the price they are great and we have cut the case down over a month tubing etc. Drinks easy just does not have you coming back for more.

aerozeppl, Jul 24, 2011
2.99/5  rDev -3.5%

Clear amber colored lager with a small momentary white colored head.

Smells slightly sweet with a strong toasted grain aroma. Grassy hop aroma. Some herbal bitterness and a faint tobacco leaf aroma.

Starts out mildly sweet with a strong toasted grain flavor. Some caramel edging towards burnt sugar flavor. Slight fruity flavor and a trace of tobacco flavor.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall an OK beer. Payed $3.99 for the six pack at Grocery Outlet fortunate that this was worth its price.

Zorro, Sep 02, 2013

VeganUndead, Apr 10, 2014

civicm87, Apr 20, 2013

12oz can served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear and yellow with a white head that fell to a thin ring.

S - Euro-hop and sour white grape aroma.

T - mainly bitter with a hint of malty sweetness tossed in.

F - lighter bodied with a crisp feel.

O - fairly easy to drink but it's amateur craft beer, if that.

JoeyBeerBelly, Jul 28, 2011

jriggins6, Mar 11, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a pale straw color with a short rocky pure white head that settled into a chunky cap.

The aroma has a husk and cereal grain scent. This is coupled with a limey citrus aroma, which finishes in a green apple note. A bit cidery. Reminds me of a macro over anything else.

The flavor is of a husky grain, not as much sweet cereal grain. An earthy rust like bitterness is present, which might be responsible for producing the limey citrus flavor. Again, there seems to be a green apple note in the finish.

The feel is light and crisp, dry and finishes with a metallic bitterness.

A rather meh beer, a notch above a macro. Would like to see less bitterness but more flavor from the hops. From what I was told, the next batch will be less hoppy and more smooth.

Gmann, Dec 11, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Poured from the can into a mug. Body is slightly hazy straw yellow - looks almost like a wheat beer in that regard. Small white head leaves behind no lacing.

S: Not a lot going on - a hint of skunkines at first makes me think "Euro Pale Lager" - you know, the kind that come in green bottles and end up light-struck. There's a basic scent of grain, a touch of lemony citrus and a basic smell that reminds me of beers I drank when I was younger.

T: Like a cross between a Helles and a Euro Pale Lager, with just a touch of pilsner (German, I'd say) thrown in. Cereal grains are there again, along with a slight malty sweetness. Finishes with an ever-so-faint touch of lemony citrus. Again, it's reminding me of beers I drank in HS for some reason. Leaves an aftertaste I can't quite put my finger on. . . .

M: Heft is fairly light, carbonation is appropriate for the style.

O: Average describes this beer. It's cheap, so ponts for that, I suppose. Better than Macro Adjunct Lagers, but without a lot to interest me, I'd probably reach for one just about as often. Not a bad beer to have on hand to share with non-craft drinkers, I guess.

Kendo, Sep 30, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

AngusOg, Jul 02, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

bradcochran1234, Mar 14, 2012
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #58 (November 2011):

LOOK: Clear pale yellow

SMELL: Hop spice, bready, shortbread, floral, clean

TASTE: Crisp, dry, malty, wet, herbal, hop oil, dusty malt husk, yeast, quick to aftertaste, bready finish

The artsy marketing is great; those are two passions that should meet more often, as brewing beer is an art form. Add that to it being a canned “craft beer” further heightens its level of coolness. On the flip side, to pit it against Bavarian greatness is a huge wall to climb. A stand-up lager, but it is a mere shadow of what a Helles should be, as there is a slight thinness in the malt character. Regardless, Bomb Lager is a worthy quaff.

BeerAdvocate, May 02, 2012
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Semi hazy dark yellow, not quite orange but not quite straw either. 2 fingers of thick white head that fades fairly slow. Some tiny carbonation bubbles seen rising.

S - Got that lager smell. I want to say I smell corn, but I think the company says they don't use any, so I have to assume it's the yeast making that smell. Some slight citrus, but overall it's that typical lager smell you get from the big companies.

T - Not what I was expecting. Can definitely taste pilsner malts, that's a big part of the flavor, there's that slight citrus, maybe lemon, taste still there as well, and what I want to describe as apple.

M - Light body, heavy carbonation, finish is slightly dry with a bitter lingering aftertaste. The flavor associated with the aftertaste is almost like a granny smith green apple.

O - Better than I expected from this beer. The can looks nice and artsy, found out the company makes this one beer, so I didn't know what to expect, but this is a pretty decent version of the style, Americanized of course.

GarrettMD, Oct 26, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

steelreserve69, May 30, 2012
3.76/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

beautiful artwork on the can, excellent pour with a clean golden color, 2 fingers of fluffy white head which left behind excellent lacing, lots of visible carbonation down the center of the glass. smells citiric and bready.. maybe lemongrass? can't really identify the scent. slightly medicinal. definitely a sweet grain bill and definitely sniffing out the yeast. a sweet citrusy taste considering the style.. i like it. it's nowhere near what i was expecting the generic bready helles lager.. but more tangy and sweet. light grassy hops, taste of orange citrus (mild), light sweet bready malt. i could definitely see drinking a bunch of these, definitely a good session ale. light to medium in body with high carbonation .. the sweetness of it makes you want more, but it is definitely a refreshing brew! even though this strays from the typical helles lager style, i believe if this was an option given to a-binbev/millers/coors drinkers, they would switch immediately. too bad it's not available to us, this is a hell of a "go-to" for bbq's and get togethers.

facundoCNB, Jan 17, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +26.8%

A little bit of background on this one: someone alerted me to a stash of CANs that they had come across in the Rochester, NY area but did not see fit to set up a trade with me. I then solicited for a trader from that area and hit upon mcb4538 who is in the process of relocating to the western NJ/PHL metro area. He was going to be coming through my area and offered to do not only an in-person trade, but he also hit upon some CANs of which I was unaware. When he dropped it off, he told me that the CAN itself was worth the modest price and as an aesthete, who would I be to argue? The picture on file does not really do it justice. As Lee Ermey's GSgt. Hartman said about Vincent D'Onofrio's Pvt. Pyle in "Full Metal Jacket", "You're so f**ked up, you could be a modern art masterpiece!" Yo, this beer is Da Bomb, yo!

Nothing f**ked up about the Crack & Glug, however. I CANnot say that it was a masterpiece, but it did produce a finger of dense, bubbly bone-white head with modest retention. The color was an oh-so-slightly hazy golden-yellow. Nose was pure, unadulterated lager with its attendant sweetness and no adjuncts standing in its way. I would have inhaled it if it would not have really put a serious strain on my sinuses, so I decided to drink it, which is generally the preferred method in a review. Mouthfeel was medium and I picked up a grassy Saaz hoppiness on the tongue in addition to the characteristic lager sweetness noted on the nose. Finish was quite dry and I believe that I have hit upon a new winner! Given some previous reviewers' remarks about a relatively low price, this would definitely be a Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually) if for no other reason than its colorful CAN and it would be an attraction at the beach for its curiosity. To (mis)quote Roy Scheider's Chief Brody in "Jaws", I'm gonna need a bigger cooler!

woodychandler, Dec 01, 2011

I recently discovered this fine lager in a can, on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Bomb Lager is a crisp and refreshing alternative to lighter-bodied lagers...with hints of citrus and floral notes, and a nice balance. And at $2.50, Bomb has to be the best beer buy in town! Even the can (designed by a local artist) is cool.

IPABrian2012, Feb 16, 2012

Four across the board. I like this beer. At its price point, the texture, flavor, and aroma far exceeded expectations. I like that it's a light lager with appreciable taste. I don't generally enjoy malty beers, but this one satisfied without overwhelming my palate. I poured it from the can into a glass. There was a citrus aroma at first smell, then a slight bitterness followed hard by a medium malt flavor. The mouthfeel was smooth. There's a rumor the recipe may be tweaked. I may prefer it sweeter. Either way, I look forward to the next batch...

JamalJohnson, Jan 26, 2012

I came across this beer at my local beverage store and I decided to give it a try for about $4 for a six pack. (I'm sorry to say that the flashy can did grab my attention). Basically this tastes like a cross between a full bodied Helles lager and a Marco American lager. Although not the best beer in the world I would venture to say that this is the best tasting beer for the price. Long story short... I went back and bought a $13 case of the stuff a few days later.

Pros- Amazing bang for the buck. Probably the only beer that I can get a $13 case of that I wouldn't be ashamed to offer a guest. Good lawnmower beer.

Cons- seems to be run by a group of artists/ business people not brewers (hence the flashy, youth oriented cans). The beer is contract brewed in PA.

kindogg, Sep 05, 2011