St. Bernardus Abt 12 - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 8,263 | Reviews: 2,621
4.36/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Crests close to a finger, nice frothy head which settles into an even coating across the surface, tan in color, the lacing acts like a coat of mail and just shimmers down the glass sides. Cloudy amber to light brown colored liquid, more yellow near the surface, very difficult to visually inspect the carbonation level. The nose has a regal compactness to it, molasses, rum raisin ice cream, spiced oranges, cola, clove and bubblegum, green apple, apricot and red cherry fruit interwoven, there is also an element of cigar ash and earthiness, definitely does not overplay sweetness. In the mouth it’s medium-bodied and, again, more dense than fluid and expansive. This said allowing for the big foaminess and softly round carbonated mouth feel. Caramel, bubblegum, banana, clove, anise and a slight pie crust doughiness. The cherry, blackberry, plum fruit takes on a darker complexion here without undue sugariness, hint of fig or date. Mild metallic to earthy qualities, mostly as residue. Given its subtlety, few flavors leap out at you to jot down, what you are most struck by is its balance for the category and its confident persistence without raising its voice. You notice it without it having to work hard for you to do so.

Might be the best beer I have ever had. Extremely smooth. I compare it to Chimay Blue and Trappist Rochefort.

3.5/5  rDev -21.7%

Decent but not a style I love

4.99/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a 355 ML bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- big malt and fruit smell, really good
Appearance- Pours a dark brown with a big tan head. Has a lot of sediment and I let that settle before tasting.
Taste- Incredible flavor, malt, hops and maybe some fruit
Palate- A medium bodied beer with mild carbonation. Excellent creamy texture.
Overall- A world class beer, outstanding.

2.3/5  rDev -48.5%

I sampled this beer in a blind taste test. My buddies asked me to try to guess the brewery. I guessed Union Carbide.

4.98/5  rDev +11.4%

Absolutely wonderful. This secular brew surpasses even the most pious Trappist quad.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

Why mess about trying to find Westvleteren 12 when you can have this - brewed by the brewery who used to brew WV12. To my taste it is virtually as good and a hell of a lot easier to find!!

3.88/5  rDev -13.2%

Light, sweet and pretty delicious.

4.49/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look – Creamy, thick head. Unfiltered dirt clay color.

Smell – Like a sweet lager.

Taste – Toned down alcohol throughout but smooth. Malty.

Feel – Expands in the mouth. Has volume. Sticks around on the tongue.

Overall – The look and feel of this beer make it one of the best. It's a flavorful quad but isn't too sweet. I'm glad I had it on draft.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

3/31/15 (Bottle) - Very dark brown pour, generous thick tan head. Aromas included malts, fruits, raisins and spices. Incredibly smooth to drink, light carbonation, beer went down easy despite the heavy ABV, though you did feel it later.Well balanced taste of malts, hops and flavor. Right amount of "wrong", sweet and firm. Overall an excellent beer, one of the best I ever had.

4.46/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First of my big three, definitely worth a try. It has light notes on the nose and goes down smooth winter or summer. Not quite as full bodied as the Rochefort, but still a complex taste for the feel.

4.86/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Perfect beer to drink with the boys

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was my first quad ever. Very smooth for a 10%'er. My biggest takeaway was from the mouthfeel. I loved the level of carbonation which is best described as a delicious ale infused alka seltzer. Great smooth flavors with little to no aftertaste. I'll recommend this one and will definitely quad again.

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

How have I never had this beer before? Just amazing !

I took a nice vacation to Belgium and got to try a bunch of beers while I was there. I went to a small pub in Bruges and the bartender recommended this. I wasn't disappointed at all. Best beer I had the entire trip and contender for the best beer I've ever had. Amazing.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Draught.
Appearance: dark brown. Light tan, thick head. Sticky lacing.
Smell: licorice. Cloves and spices from Belgian yeast. Light in ester.
Taste: medium malt. Dark cherry fruit leather. Light ester. Light cloves and spices.
Mouthfeel: light carbonation. Big body. Sweet.
Overall: balanced very well between malts, esters and booze. Dangerous in the fact that I can not tell this is a 10% beer. Will buy again.

4.73/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The ale of the Gods.

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Understated Quad, especially given the 10% ABV. Very mellow on the palate, which says a lot for the complexity of this beer. Subtle raisin taste, perfect finish, not too sweet like most Quads.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Everything you would want in a quad.

4.46/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great Belgian. Nice toffee color and malty/fruity taste. Not the best I've had, but may have had my expectations too high.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delish. What more do you want from a beer.

4.47/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My 250 rated beer, dont often write reviews but thought I would for the milestone.

Pours a chestnut brown white thick white head, roughly 3 fingers length. Fruity smell typical of many Belgians. Raisan and fruit notes again with the taste. Very smooth for the alcohol content. Cannot taste the alcohol at all. Very impressed and see why this beer has its high rating. Leaves me wanting to explore other Quad style Belgians.

3.5/5  rDev -21.7%

Saigon (bottle)

I am neutral on this beer.

3.47/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just an overhyped beer that doesn't do the job. High alcohol feel and an overall dissapointment.
I drank it at the right temperature in the right glass and with the right mood.
I guess the yeast just didn't do the job well for me.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I decided to do a quad night of the big three and see if I could tell if there was a difference. Hmm...

Appearance: Dark chestnut brown with some reddish notes in there but not completely opaque. The head is of light small white bubbles that linger throughout the pour.

Aroma: Ripe dark fruits, grapes, plums and other northern European fruits, possibly some blackberries notes in there as well or perhaps black raspberries.

Taste: Has some vinous notes with a slight tinge of yeast esters going on. I detect more of the clove and banana notes from the more readily available Belgian beers than in the Westy 12. The mouthfeel is also not quite as clean as in the Westy 12, which to me deducts some points.

Overall: Amazing beer, and considering you can get this one at most bottle shops pretty easily and not all that pricey and the fact that Westy 12 is so hard to come by (I am totally happy I had the opportunity to try it and if I ever find myself in Belgium, I will be heading there for sure!) this one is a dead heat in my opinion. I will say that I did enjoy the Westy a little bit more due to the clean flavor and finish and to me that is becoming a majorly important component of a quality beer. But, this is a very well made beer and do not discount it because its more available, there is only a minor difference in quality that I can detect, but it is worthy of note.

to view more.