2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus Abt 12St. Bernardus Abt 12

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Abt 12 Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,372 | Reviews: 2,442 | Show All Ratings:
Gusler

Arizona

St. Bernardus has been a long time favorite beer and brewery, and is one of only 8 beers from my nearly 6000 sampled life time to get a 5.0 from me. It is a beer that I have a case or two of at all times, and trust me it only improves with age. The beer emerges from the 12 ounce bottle a slightly bemused brown color with a majestic crown of tan to top off the body, the texture is semi creamy, and the lace forms a satin skirt to surround the glass. Nose is sumptuous, nutty sweet, bubble gummy, raisin like, fresh and pleasing to the senses, a most "Sniffable" beer. Front is ambrosial with a nice malt presence, the top is light to medium in its feel to the palate, with the finish congenially dry, magisterially hopped, notably acidic with a pleasant tummy warming sensation to top it all off, a treasure not to be missed if your into "Belgian Ales", and or just like a great beer.

10-09-2002 18:09:16 | More by Gusler
daledeee

Iowa

Bear with me. I struggle with the jargon. This beer is a real treat.

Pours a beautiful carbonated head. Nice dark reddish brown.

Smells good but can't quantify. Maybe banana or citrus.

Tastes so good I hope I can describe. Figs, banana, citrus. Don't hurry 15 minutes later your mouth is still full of flavor. I love the carbonated bite. This is one of the Best Belgians you will try. Alcohol is not overwhelming until you have finished. One will give you a nice buzz.

I have trouble describing the experience of drinking this beer but I know this is an exceptional beer. I like the label also. Do not pass up the Tripel(green label) That is a good one also.

Addendum: I have tried all the heavyweights available in the US. Westy, Trappist Rocquefort. This is the 5 out of the bunch. P.S. This is the only 5 I have given any beer.

04-19-2003 20:56:48 | More by daledeee
goz

Pours a dark brown, with some ruby tinges in it. Head is large, big-bubbled tan, slowly diminishes to some decent lacing. Body has lots of carbonation, and lots of yeasty bits swirling around in it. Aroma is huge, yeasty, vinous, fruity, grapes, raisin, some doughiness, and hints of honey. Flavor is equally huge and complex, lots of fruitiness and sweetness, and changes over time as the brew comes up to room temp. Very full bodied, massively complex flavors and aromas. Very similar to the Westy 12, but seemed to have more lively and lasting carbonation.

05-14-2003 09:11:14 | More by goz
Stingray5

Pours stunning auburn with a thick long lasting foamy white head. Intoxicating fruity aromas, with some banana and clove, multiple spices. I find I'm inhaling the aromas until there is no room left in my lungs. Getting lightheaded and not even a sip yet!
Mouthful is incredible - high carbonation leads to a thick, luscious, creamy, slickness like no other. I can't stop drinking it. 2 sips and all my troubles are forgotten. Nothing else matters now. Why oh why St. Bernardus are there only 11.2 ounces of this sweet elixer in your bottle? Taste is smooth and creamy. Complimenting the wide array of dried fruit and spices is a nice toasted maltiness. A slight sweetness arrives in the finish - just the right amount. Alcohol warmth is here as well.

To hell with hops. I could live on this stuff. Superb.

10-15-2003 01:52:34 | More by Stingray5
moulefrite

To date the best beer I've tasted. Pours a mammoth/iceburg of a head-perfect lace which covers at least 75% of the glass and takes a good five minutes to retreat. The color is that of dark cocoa with some ruby hues. Gobs of cocoa on the nose. Wonderful sweet raisin and prune aromas bathed in brown sugar and butter. Damn inticing! Sweet on the nose, yet with a snappy acidity to keep focus. A dream of a brew to taste!! Full bodied, rich and malty with waves of tangy bitter chocolate, cocoa powder, sauteed prune in brown butter, exotic spice-ineffable?-vanilla, cinnamon, mollases-hard to put down! Add the perfect balance and the fact that the alcohol is so well integrated and I think I've found a perfect brew. Can't ask for any more. Not a complaint-I could sip this into eternity.

11-11-2003 04:10:13 | More by moulefrite
putnam

Tawny port, raisin wine, Indonesian spices, black berries, black plums, black figs, vanilla, hazelnuts, walnuts, pepper, pork fat, slate, creosote, oak, brown sugar, etc. etc.

The texture is viscous and glossy like crushed velvet. It could use some time to temper the elemental crush of flavors and aromas. Think what this beer could be!
___

Update: 24 hours later I ate the thumb-sized foamscicle that had formed at the top of the bottle. It was amazing! I am therefore upgrading the drinkability score from 4.5 to 5.0. No beer, in my experience, has produced such pleasure with so little weight for so long after it was opened. Bravo!

11-28-2003 21:36:23 | More by putnam
Boilermaker88

I was given this beer as part of a St. Bernardus gift set back around Thanksgiving. I finally got around to drinking the Abt 12 after having the other "little brothers"last month. Was I right to save this for the last? Absolutely, as the others - good in their own right - pale in comparison.
Poured from its 11.2oz bottle, the Abt 12 had a murky brick-red and brown hue and a light carbonation-fueled compact light tan head that left nice fine lace on the walls of my St. Bernardus chalice.
The smell was so enticing; a bready malt aroma with scents of candy sugar, dark fruit, molasses, and clove all vying for attention. Some banana and spice notes as well as easily detectable alcohol vapors wafted to the nose.
The taste was shocking in its complexity and in how well all the flavors complimented each other. Sweetness derived of raisins and plums covered in candy sugar layered over a soft yeasty malt flavor in front before a nutty banana and clove flavor made an appearance. A touch of tropical fruit and citrus briefly played across the palate and each sip finished with a alcohol presence that in no way detracts from the flavor profile. The feel was full, rich, and creamy.
An incredibly satisfying beer. The flavors all meld so well; no one flavor washes out any other. Almost indescribable in its drinkability. A masterpiece of a beer and the only one to date that I've given straight 5's.

01-13-2004 17:56:52 | More by Boilermaker88
Crotor

Sweet Jesus, this is a fine beer.

Pours a deep, reddish brown, lifting a delightfully abundant off-white head. As the head settles (which takes ages...) it forms delightful dimples. I also notice specks of brown on it - I don't know if these are chunks of yeast or what, but they make me think of one thing - grated nutmeg on eggnog.

Smells of big malt and fruit. Sour apple, yeastiness, cinnamon. Is this beer *really* not spiced?

Tastes more glorious than anything else. Big, wintery, spicy fruit. Cinnamon and nutmeg and clove and apple - like apple pie in a glass. Frothy, estery caramel goodness. Chewy and malty to no end.

As for the mouthfeel, it's honestly quite like drinking heavy cream. Feels like frothy espresso. Caramely-apple-pie-flavored frothy espresso.

A damn good beer. Few beers would elicit a "perfect 5" from me, but this one pulled it off. Without a doubt, my current favorite beer.

*Note: Also, it's *damn* drinkable for a quadrupel.

12-17-2004 23:01:04 | More by Crotor
neonbrown82

Nebraska

I've had a craving for this beer for quite some time. As I drank this beer I consulted my review, and as it was one of the first beers I reviewed for this site, my palate lacked the sophistication necessary to explain the pure bliss of this beverage. The first time I reviewed this beer I gave it a 4.9, but I believe now that is well deserving of the extra tenth.

The beer poured into my St. Bernardus chalice to a very dark nutty brown color with a massive dimpled foam cap that sticks around throughout the entire glass. This beer necessitates an extra category: sound. Sounds like a bowl of rice krispees, but the carbonation does not produce a harsh mouthfeel.

The smell is very sweet due to a quadruple dose of caramelized malts and fermentable sugars (belgian dark candi sugar, caramel, molasses, honey?). The high alcohol content is also noticable through the smell.

The beer provides an initial taste of all kinds of specialty sugars and spices, and as the liquid is passed from the tip to the mid-section of your tongue, the caramelized malts begin to grab hold of your senses. Finally, the finish shows a tiny bite of low AA noble hops, but just enough to balance out the sweetness.

Seems to be slightly astringent. Some aging would probably do her well, but as I said, I have had a craving for this beer for far too long to wait for a cellared product. The astringency is not overbearing though, nor is the alcohol or the sweetness. The mouthfeel is full and a bit creamy, and the foam is a bit metallic tasting (maybe from the minerals in the well water?)

Very heavenly. I may be a heathen bastard, but I believe that there must be some divine force responsible for this fine beverage. When I drink this beer, I seem to transcend beyond the normal state of drunkenness or sobriety. I only wish I could drink nothing but beers of this quality or higher (I'll have to be the judge of whether Westy is better than this or not, but I really don't see how it can get any better) without taking a huge hit on my pocket book just to drink a beer or two from day to day. It goes without saying that this is very highly drinkable, even though the ABV is quite high. If you haven't ingested this holy nectar, you are a sinner and likely going to hell, regardless if you (like me) don't believe in any religion.

In tradition of the holy bible, I hereby damn John's Grocery in Iowa City for tempting me with this forbidden fruit. Anything as good as a fine Belgian beer has got to be a sin.

12-29-2004 05:22:40 | More by neonbrown82
Troyone

I did not think this was a trappist beer; it says "St. Bernardus - Belgium Trappistenwig, 23" on the bottom of the label. Difficult to find this beer, found a 4 pk at Whole Foods.
Pours a dark rich chocolate black and is not translucent with a three inch head that dissipated with lacing around the inside of the glass.
Very evident rich smell of a cookie roasted molasses malt with a perfume resin, slightly lemon, hop aroma.
The taste pronounces the smell with a moderate, slightly cookie, lightly bready, roasted molasses malt; moderate, slightly grapefruity, herb resin hops; a light horseblanket doughy yeast; and hints of the following: tawny port, slight toffee, brown sugar, licorice, and cola into the smooth finish.
Mouthfeel is one of the smoothess medium to full bodied beer I've ever had, the texture has a creamy dry feel, the carbonation is lively and soft, and the hops has a metallic piercing into the finish.
Drinkability is perfect for this type of style, look out for the ten percent.

12-29-2004 08:58:54 | More by Troyone
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

11.2 oz. bottle with best before date of 20-07-09 poured into my DT tulip.

Opaque mahogany with a massive, rocky, tan head. Head slowly goes down covering the glass with clingy bubbles.

Sweet and malty sniffer. Esters bringing out fruit smells like tart apple and cherry. Nutty bread. Oh, so sweet!

This beer gets amazing as it warms. Not to say it wasn't great when I started, but I'm starting to wish I had the whole beer at this temperature. Somewhere between 45 and 50 F when I started, this beer turns into bliss around 55 F. Those sneaky monks with their candied sugars made a bohemeth of a beer. Malt and hops both aggressive, then subtle vibes of unending complexity. Vanilla, cookie dough, alchohol, all sorts of spices; a monster of a beer.

I had this long ago when it was St. Sixtus, and I remember the St. Sixtus being better, but that doesn't seem possible. I've tried to be constructive, but this beer won me over. I feel spoiled drinking it. Hoo-wah!

02-16-2005 01:39:18 | More by Shultzerdugen
TurdFurgison

Presentation: Drank from an 11.2 oz bottle, poured into Watou brewery chalice. Bottle has a drawing of a balding monk with a very good beer in his hand.

Appearance: In my limited experience, this sets the standard for strong dark ales. A deep orange-brown color, almost completely opaque. The head never really disappears from the top of the beer.

Smell: This beer smells better than the smell of any other beer which my nose has smelled. Smells like fresh bread, with strong malty tones.

Taste: This is possibly the best-tasting beer I've tried to date. If I go fat and bald from drinking this beer, it's worth the price. God bless the monks from Westvleteren, who apparently created the recipe for this beer. God bless also the brewers at Watou who make this intense stuff. The beer is full-bodied, and leaves a coating in your mouth (a good thing). I'm not that good at picking out individual flavors, but I can taste sweet fruity flavors (plums, grapes, and bananas) with malt (chocolate and bread). I poured this below the temperature recommended on the bottle (52-56°F), and I think the taste becomes more intense as the liquid warms.

06-05-2005 16:41:07 | More by TurdFurgison
ikats

This one need an introduction. Today I decided to stop by my favorite spot (The Collins Bar in New York) after work. I was looking for a pint or two of something with a lot of character, something to savor. A good stout perhaps. When I got to the place and reviewed current offerings, a line jumped out: "Belgian: St. Bernardus 12". Sounds good, I thought. And I'll tell you, I was not prepared for this ale. It was pure perfection in a glass!!! I couldn't stay for long, so from the bar straight to the nearest beer store I went. Picked up a couple of bottles which I am savoring right this minute.

Appearance: Dark brown color. Wonderful off-white head of significant size that leaves behind nice lacing.

Aroma: Maybe it's the picture of a monk on the bottle, but "heavenly" comes to mind. Sweet smells mix with hints of sour fruits. The aroma seems familiar, yet it is a challenge to identify all the components of this wonderful bouquet.

Taste: Maltiness and yeast, fruits and caramel, it's all there. Alcohol is there too, but it works with, not against, the richness of this ale. I think this is the first ale were alcohol taste was complimenting the rest. Makes me feel bad that I do not have enough experience describing all the intricacies of abbey ales. Well, this is not the last time I am drinking this ale, so I'll come back to it.

A noble drink. I think I am in love!!!

This abbey ale is presented in 11.2 oz brown bottle that lists both "best before" date and suggested serving temperature. Cheers to that!

08-05-2005 04:38:07 | More by ikats
TastyTaste

Appearance: Absolutely gorgeous, murky brown color huge tan head, and I mean huge. This is exactly what the beer should look like.

Smell: A dark but sweet smell of raisins, brown sugar, yeast, alcohol, toffee, and hints of java.

Taste: Holy mackerel, this is good, taste is dark and complex, lots of mig flavors competing for attention. More sweetness up front, but turn into a drier beer finishing with a good shot of alcohol and hops, buttery toffee, rum, bourbon, plums. I could see aging this for years.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Perfect, this beer is a world class Quadrupel, one that should be tried and enjoyed by all.

10-18-2005 23:13:54 | More by TastyTaste
budsboy

I've grown quite familiar with this beer before reviewing it. Now, I'm so fond of it, the picture of the happy monk on the label is enough to brighten my day. (Oddly, he somewhat resembles my dearly departed father, "Bud").

Dark and muddy brown, voluminous head, leathery, tanned.

Thick, moist bready aroma with hints of exotic spice and alcohol. A distinctive smell. Musty, fruity, wet and beautiful.

Big malt backbone, banana and juicy dark fruit, a slow-growing fire in the gut builds to a fully engulfed blaze, then fades just as slowly as it came. A sharp pear-like fruitiness zaps the tounge before it fades to a gentle bitter aftertaste.

Full and smooth, meaty, chewy. A meal.

An adult beer. Not for guzzlers, amateurs, hipsters, liars, slackjaws, hippies, rednecks, punks, grabasses, politicians or cry-babies. Grabs you by the shirt and demands respect. The world's finest craftsmanship. It's not often you can appreciate the sweat and the beauty of such a thing at the same time. If I find a better beer, I fear I shall be dead. This is the pinnacle, the absolute tip of the spire. Amen.

12-27-2005 04:05:34 | More by budsboy
acrawf6

Louisiana

First off, this is one of my absolute favorite beers. I should have reviewed a long time ago. Its soo freakin good!

Pours out a deep cloudy dark leathery brown. Some light gets through, which shows its cloudyness. Nice 1 1/2 inch head rises from the glass. Thick lacing.

Smells so very good. sweet spiced fruits come up first, i get apple, a little banana (with cloves), and slight raison. Its a little lighter than what i remembered, but great. A very nice sweet smell too i might add.

Taste. Sensational. again, sweet but has a little amount of tartness i dont remember, and almost doenst seem like it belongs. I get dried plums at first. As it sits on my tongue i get a white wine, or better yet a champagne taste and mouthfeel to it. Alcohol is slightly present, but is masked very well. I love the complexity of this beer. As it warms, more and more flavors come out. Roasted malts come through.

Mouthfeel is great. Good carbonation. Excellent balance. So full, and yet so slick on my tongue.

Overall, just one of the finest beers around. I could have this all day long (well, until i pass out) and not get tire of the complexities. However, i dont feel this bottle represents what i have had before (or maybe its just me tonight). Great stuff.

01-27-2006 01:24:52 | More by acrawf6
Avagadro

Picked up the 750mL corked bottle from "Beers of the World" and was excited the whole way home. Served just under room temp into a tulip glass. Upon pouring a large brown head appeared, and remained untill the glass was finished. this beer has the most beautiful color when held up to the light. A deep red that is alittle clouded by yeast. The smell is also incredible. Very floral aroma that in overwhelmingly enjoyable. The aroma of this beer definitely got you ready for the taste. The taste is amazing. Sweet, but not heavy, dry, but not too dry. This beer suprises you with every sip you take. I babied this bottle for almost an hour because I didn't want it to end. It is smooth and clean in the mouth, and I could drink this beer for the rest of my life if I could afford to. Definitely deserves to be in the top five in BA

03-25-2006 21:29:22 | More by Avagadro
HellsBELLS24

One of the best.

Malt flavor and dark color. Beautiful aroma. The best belgian quad that I have ever had. tastes a little better in the 750ml cork bottle over the 11.2oz bottle. A nice winter warmer. I prefer Abt 12 over Rochfort 10 any day. I like to pair this brew with some strongly aged abby cheese. Can drink this at any time of year also.

06-01-2006 02:26:50 | More by HellsBELLS24
Delerium

Maine

A beautiful dark dubbel, that tastes like a quad. I swear if this beer was aged, it would turn into Westy12. Nice, dark look with a sweet belge glaze. Smells nutty and musty. Taste is incredible, by far my favorite dubbel. Mothfeel is lively and effervescent. Drinkability: I could session this beer at 10% in alchol all day and have no worries. It's that damn good! Can't wait for the 60th anniversary!

08-06-2006 16:38:27 | More by Delerium
cyrenaica

Ontario (Canada)

I tried this beer on July 11, 2007 at Cafe Volo in Toronto (only because they were temporarily out of Rochefort Trappistes 10). I was very nervous about trying this....high alcohol content, dark brown, yada yada yaada. Well, try it I did. It poured a dark brown into the glass with a small head that lasted throughout the entire beer. The aroma was thick with bread and hops, and some fruit. It was silky smooth on the tongue with a full-bodied feel. The taste...unlike any beer I've tasted before. There was bread, and malt...and hops. The alcohol was not noticeable on the tongue...but I felt it going down....and this is one damn fine beer!

07-12-2007 03:35:54 | More by cyrenaica
Keitherduder

From the bottle into a proper oversized goblet. Fantasticly intoxicating in it's glorious appearance! With it's big creamy head that sits softly upon it's dark browney color. Hurling out aromas of fine malts, spices and sweetness right up your nostrils, sending you into an epical state of euphoria. ...and you havent even taken a sip yet!!!
Once you finally let your lips and tounge indulge in this masterpiece; You become awakened by this phenomenal array of malts, hops, yeast, and spice. All I can think is that this beer is a perfection of wonders!
Them monks sure know what their doing!!!

07-16-2007 22:52:30 | More by Keitherduder
GbVDave

Poured from a 25.4oz bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours a luxurious looking deep cola brown with mahogany highlights. Sitting on top is a light tan head of an incredible creamy consistency.

S: Unbelievable aromas of caramel, figs, rum soaked raisins, cola nut, plums, and lightly roasted malt. So incredibly complex!

T: Sweet caramel malt, cola, coconut, and the aforementioned dark fruits.

M: Smooth, creamy, like drinking velvet wrapped in silk.

D: Truly, the benchmark for the style. This beer is an absolute joy to drink! One of the few beers out there that's deserving of "all 5's".

09-02-2007 19:56:23 | More by GbVDave
KodyBrannon

I have just found pure heaven in this beer. This beer must have been brewed by the great lord himself. Becuase i have found my heaven in this bottle. It pours a very dark mahogony brown. with a very thick 3 finger cream head. The smell isn't very overpowering, mostly of light malt. But the taste, oh my the taste It is so complex to me I can't fully comprehend it. It's kind of a nutty flavor with the alcohol coming through as the beer warms up. I don't really know how to describe this beer. It was just an amazing experience drinking it. This is by far the best beer I have ever had.

11-15-2007 02:24:52 | More by KodyBrannon
Beercub

Quite simply this has become my favorite beer. The appearance is caramel brown, the smell fruity and sweet malty, the taste is incredibly complex yet fuses together into a wonderful impression - raisins, caramel, toffee... The mouthfeel at first seems a little bit over-carbonated, but as it warms and settles, it is simply perfect.

11-26-2007 17:03:09 | More by Beercub
Deus1138

Georgia

I've had this a few times, but held off on reviewing it until now.

A: Poured into my St. Bernardus Goblet. Pours a nice brown with a reddish glow. Good amount of head that lasts quite a while.

S: Sweet dark fruits, plum, raisin, a little yeasty. It smells thick.

T: Raisin, plum, brown sugar, very sweet (but not too much sweetness). Lots of alcohol in this one, but it's only slightly noticeable. The malts and sweetness mask nicely. Makes me think of fig newtons. Mmmm...

M: Nice and smooth with just the right amount of zest from the carbonation and alcohol.

D: The greatest beer I've had to date. I love this stuff. If the alcohol wouldn't destroy my life, I'd drink this with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and every snack in between!

If you have not had the pleasure, get this one ASAP!

12-02-2007 00:41:51 | More by Deus1138