2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus Abt 12St. Bernardus Abt 12

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Abt 12 Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,366 | Reviews: 2,442 | Show All Ratings:
jvajda

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I bought two bottles a couple days ago. The first was totally skunked and flat, but this one had a big head on it and was well carbonated, so I assume it was OK. I'll try it a third time just to be sure, because this beer did not live up to the hype.

Appearance: Big, thick, three-finger, tan head with specs of brown goodness that stayed for a long time. The beer was a murky dark brown.
Smell: Very malty and banana like with a hint of wine-like acidity. Hints of figs as well.
Taste: This is a super complex, full-flavored brew. The alcohol was well hidden considering the high ABV. It starts with bananas and chocolate and ends with an acidic, wine-like, dry finish. Nuts, bananas, figs, dark chocolate are all highlighted in its body. Excellent candy sweetness as well. A perfect dessert beer.
Mouthfeel: Very creamy in the mounth and sticky on the lips. Low carbonation. A luxurious feel.
Drinkability: A heavyweight for sure, this is a special occasion beer, but perfect for those occasions.

Update: Just tried a third bottle. Review updated accordingly.

Update two: I've had a number of these now, and they've ranged from amazing to flat and stale. This beer is hit or miss. If you get a good, you've got one of the best beers on Earth.

04-25-2004 03:58:46 | More by jvajda
MrBen

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I had a smiliar experience with a brew about eight years ago, called St. Sixtus. While I don't think it was exactly the same beer, the graphic on the bottle was identical.

Anyway, here's a real winner. I dig the tripels and quadrupels, and this one is no exception. This is a big beer, but it's quite balanced and well-presented in all of the right places. At 10%, it really hides the raw alcohol nose well.

Pours very nicely, and the head hangs on. It's lacey and bubbly -- not chunky or rocky. Smell and color are super and the taste is out of this world. You get the dark roasted coffee, the nutty and buttery notes, the dark chocolate ... the works. This is beer that has depth *and* complexity. Highly recommended.

12-03-2004 02:45:36 | More by MrBen
bceaglejoe

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Presentation: Poured a very dark grape color into an oversized wine glass. A two-finger thick off-white head bloomed immediately, and then it settled down slightly. But retention was very good. It was very thick and frothy, showing off a moderate amount of carbonation. On the nose, I caught scents of licorice, but the real dominant smell was a sugary, wine-like grape. I could tell right away that there was a slightly higher alcohol content.

Tasting: Gosh, it sure is hard to describe all the flavors that I experienced! On the front of my tongue, there were flavors of dark grapes and sugars. Across the middle, significant malt sweetness, paired with a miniscule kick of alcoholic warmth, came across. On the back, as I drank, I thought I tasted a bit of dark chocolate, but then it dissipated to a wine-like flavor. I was thoroughly impressed by the complexities of this beer. It is as if this is on a different plane of fermented beverage existence. This was a medium-bodied beer with great viscosity and a full flavor. It wasn't as carbonated as the head suggested. In fact, it was even a little bit chewy. Again, I've never encountered anything like this before. I would certainly want to have another, but the alcohol content (double that of your "average" beer) deters me.

This beer certainly lived up to all of my expectations, and then some. It was a perfect way for me to close out my senior year of college. I would love to try this on tap sometime, since there is a place near me that has it...

05-16-2005 19:48:24 | More by bceaglejoe
rhoadsrage

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

(Served in a tulip glass)

A-This beer had a nice dark brown body with a creamy tan head. It had good lacing with each sip.

S- Notes of dark malt and raisins with some sweetness and caramel notes.

T- The taste of dark sweet malt was very complex. flavors of prune brown sugar, caramel and some nice faint alcohol warmth at the finish. As it warmed it gave more depth with some cidery and vinous notes also.

M- Medium-light mouthfeel with a medium alcohol warmth. No astringency or fizz.

D-Wow. This beer is bold and complex in flavor but nice and light in mouthfeel. The alcohol warmth is not overpowering and really balances the complexity of the malts. I will take another.

10-12-2005 23:51:40 | More by rhoadsrage
bignick

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

On tap at TPH many times.

An absolutely terrific beer, my favorite. It was served in a oversized wine glass. It was a deep and rich black, with only a little light permeating. There was a rich but receding 1.5 finger head. The beer smelled of nuts, rich chocolate, and alcohol. I cannot overstate how overwhelmingly complex this beer is. Drinking it is a joy, because as I work my way through the glass, it is a struggle to try to figure out what flavors are coming through. There is certainly a good deal of chocolate, but there is also a mild fruitiness. I certainly get a good deal of prunes. This is a wonderful beer on the whole.

10-26-2005 22:37:28 | More by bignick
kingjames1

South Carolina

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a dark ruby, with a thick cocoa-tinged head that eventually dissipates leaving a consistent lacing. Smells wonderful, bready yeasts, chocolaty malts, and spice --- mmmm. Taste: does it get any better than this? Rum-drenched raisins, and good, dense (European) bread, brandy and sweet cherries, strong port and dark chocolate. Fantastic! Great carbonation, making it very drinkable for the abv, though one is enough, thank you. Overall, you can't beat this one with a stick. Those crazy Trappist monks know what they're doing!

12-12-2005 03:21:38 | More by kingjames1
bearrunner44

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance- Dark, muddy-brown color. Cloudy to the extreme. Big, fluffy, off-white head completely fills the glass.

Smell- Tangy; full of yeasty aromas and hints of prunes & sour apple. The malt character is full, rich and bready.

Taste & Mouthfeel- Supple, smooth mouthfeel. Full-bodied, but the carbonation lends a delicately light feel. Incredible complexity. Sticky, sweet malt is the first thing to hit the taste buds. A wave of soft, sour flavor takes over soon after. Mellow and sweet. The finish is somewhat estery, with tart prune and clove flavors finding their way into the mix. The warming presence of alcohol becomes pretty obvious in the finish, but by then the beer has already cast its spell. Simply delicious.

Verdict- This isn't a beer, it's an experience.

02-05-2006 06:53:30 | More by bearrunner44
NatureSon

Kansas

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

The only reason this beer didn't get a perfect 5 on all fronts is because I got a little weak in the knees after smelling it.
Probably the best beer I've ever had the priviledge of tasting. I got to drink this serious beverage out of its 750 ml bottle, and enjoyed every small sip of it. From the three-finger head to the last breath of quality, few beers can compare to the quality and flavor that the Abt. 12 brings to the table.
It is so hard to describe something so beautiful; so I feel almost at a loss to even try.
In all reality...epic is the only word that exists in the same realm as this ale; so I will leave it at that.

06-05-2006 02:06:17 | More by NatureSon
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

St. Bernardus is one of my favorites, an amazing beer, and a steal at under $9. It pours a hazy deep red with a huge foamy head that gradually dissipates down to a half inch that lingers, leaving a nice lacing. Aroma is sweet malts, dark fruits and some dry yeast. The taste is rich and complex, nice fruity dark malts, with just a hint of hop flavor and bitterness. There is delicious spicy yeast character and the beer is perfectly balanced. It still amazes me that this beer is 10.5%, its so smooth and not overly sweet, it could easily pass for much less. The alcohol is barely perceptable, even as the beer warms.

06-13-2007 00:15:04 | More by ericj551
garbercury

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I have to say that I am in love with this beer. I had a 25 oz bottle of it at the Blind Tiger in Greenwich Village this past weekend for the shockingly reasonable price of eleven bucks! From there, I was able to get a four pack of it in 11 oz bottles for $14 in Brooklyn. I wish I would have got a case since I am now home:(

A--I poured into my Corsendonk glass and it has dark brown hue with a full creamy head..beautiful..what a sight to behold.

S--The aroma says, "I am a delightful Belgian Quad of the highest quality...drink me" You can smell tones of caramel, chocolate, figs and cherries in the aroma.

Taste--Oh man. I have never had the pleasure of the Westvytaren experience but if it is better than the St. Bernardus Abt, I need to get me some of that. This beer is pure ectasy, smooth and the type of flavor that makes it very hard for me to drink even the best of the rest, seriously. Some of my favorites of the past just simply are not worthy now. This beer has done real damage to my beer psyche.

Mouthfeel--Silky. Just like silk in the mouth. Did I mention how much I love this beer?

Drinkability--I feel selfish and gluttenous to say that I have had several of these in recent days. I seem to be growing an addiction to the beer. Not an alcoholic type of addiction, more like a love affair that is newly blossomed. This is not for the light of heart mind you, this will put a major wallop on you if you are not careful. It is hard to be careful.

I did not give it a 5 because I want to be careful not to do that until I am certain I find the perfect beer. However, this is pretty damn close to being the one.

07-17-2007 00:25:02 | More by garbercury
elmore

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

poured into a snifter from a 750 ml bottle.

gave it a brisk pour which produced a thick fluffy head that showed great retention and left thick lace down the glass. lots of tiny bubbles.

very complex smell - sweet, malty, slightly boozy.

tastes of brown, sugar, figs, plums, with a little alcohol after taste with an absolutely fantastic creamy yet champagne-like mouthfeel.

very easy to drink despite high alcohol content.

Absolutely wonderful beer. I am a big fan of Belgian ale and this is my favorite so far.

11-12-2007 01:28:33 | More by elmore
supascape

Georgia

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I first got my hands on this beer at the Brick Store Pub in Decatur, GA., a suburb of Atlanta. I saw a waiter delivering this gem in a rounded chalice to a group of guys. I asked them what they were drinking. They told me that it was the best beer that they had ever tasted and offered to buy me one. They said that I had to experience it. I had one...and another...and another! This brew is exceptional.

The beer was poured straight from the bottle (11.2 oz.) into an authentic St. Bernardus 12 chalice glass. The pub served the beer at 52 degrees F. The head was thick and foamy. The color of the head is khaki. When the head disappears, it leaves almost no lace. The color is deep, rich brown with hints of amber.

The nose is of fruit. Dates, raisins, molasses and a drop of smoke exist. The smell is awesome and reminds me of my great grandfather's pipe tobacco for some reason.

The taste is simply outstanding. It is complex with dried fruit. Apricots, raisins and dates, oh my! Wow. This is great. The semi-sweet malt is insane. This is like comfort food...for beer drinkers. The body warms after every sip. Trust me, this is a sipper. The 10.5% ABV says so!

The mouthfeel is fantastic. It is so smooth, creamy and rich. Very high-gravity. Almost like drinking milk. This is no exaggeration. It is that smooth.

Drink during a nice meal. The high ABV will prevent most people from drinking more than two or three per session.

12-20-2007 01:05:38 | More by supascape
trkerrigan

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

This is one the best beers I have ever sampled.

Over 10% abv with absolutely no hint of alcohol, mouthfeel is exceptionally smooth. The taste is nothing short of amazing. My palate is way too dumb to even grasp the complexity. For all the adjectives that I could try and conjure up to explain this brew; I know they would just fall short to describe how great this beer really is. The St. Bernardus Abt 12 is a must try period.

02-02-2008 02:11:52 | More by trkerrigan
popery

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

A great beer with a wonderful Belgian flavor.

OK. The appearance took a hit here for reasons unrelated to a normal tasting of this beer. The bottle exploded when I uncapped it, and I lost about half of it. The head looked oddly uneven after I frantically poured the bubbling brew into my tulip and dissipated undoubtedly more quickly than it normally would have, or so I assume.

It's spicy and bready and incredible. There's a lot of aroma, sweet caramel and spiced nuts. The flavors adds in raisins and smoke. There's a lot of carbonation sizzling the flavors throughout the mouth. I could drink this beer for a long period of time, like a fortnight or so.

10-26-2008 05:20:34 | More by popery
teamhex

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Heavy fruit aroma, sweet but sharp.
The head is a reddish caramel color.
Almost a jet black, but you can see some sediment in there, im assuming this is some kinda fruit.
The taste is almost like wine.
This beer is great, easy to drink, dry, and goes down well.
Great beer, one of the best iv had.

01-12-2009 01:29:58 | More by teamhex
CMW

Missouri

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Poured into a Bernardus chalice a deep mahogney with a huge off-white head. Retention of this thing is incredible!. Nice lacing down to the last drop.

S - A wonderful mixture of spices, yeast, sweet malt, and dried fruits.

T - This is one complex beer. Sweet malts upfront provide flavors of dried fruits. Apples, bananas, and pears. The heavy yeast reminds me of sweet cinnamon bread. Finishes smooth with little alcohol burn.

M - Very creamy and just perfect on the tongue.

D - If this was a blind taste test, I would have never guessed these are 10.5%. Easily I could have more than one.

03-17-2009 23:52:20 | More by CMW
dublife1

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

What else can be said about one of the best beers in the world IMHO? Beautiful 2 finger head and luscious smells of dark fruits are present. Taste is of raisins, plums and figs and is so ridiculously drinkable. The ABV is hidden so perfectly. This is one of the great ones for sure. I have had this beer so many times and it never, ever gets old! AMAZING!!!

05-29-2009 03:44:40 | More by dublife1
steveshields

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I'm just going to review this beer briefly if I can.

I usually drink this on tap, but right now I'm having a 22oz bottle. I can immediately say that this beer tastes MUCH more amazing on tap, but I recently found these at the store across the street from my place, so it's a cheap alternative on a Sunday evening.

This beer pours a dark honey-brown. I feel like the mouthfeel tastes thicker on draft and the head lasts longer. This one is super fizzy and I kind of like that. I like good carbonation and this has it. It is super crisp, effervescent. Smells sorta like a bakery- very fresh. *update*- got another one. Getting a HEAVY cherry taste off of this bottle. Not sure why, but it's not bad.

This is an AMAZING Belgian beer. Overall very smooth and tasty. If you can find it, grab one, but at 10.5% ABV, take them SLOW!

07-20-2009 04:09:49 | More by steveshields
davod23

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from the bottle into an oversized wine glass.

It's a deep, ruby-tinged brown color, quite murky. A big, billowing off-white head quickly forms. It sticks around a while as a thin cap, but by the end of the glass is gone, save for a few wisps of cirrus clouds on the surface. Only a bit of lacing remains.

I love the smell of this beer. This is actually the beer that really got me started on craft beer. Thus, it is very nostalgic for me. I will attempt to be as impartial as possible. The aroma is beautiful and complex, with raisins, prunes, figs, sweet malt, and a bit of alcohol shining through. It's very similar to Westy 12, but brighter and more explicitly fruity.

Taste followed the nose. Sweet dark fruits, rum-soaked raisins, some noticeable boozy heat (that does not detract).

The mouthfeel starts off just a little too carbonated for my liking, which reduces the score just a notch. But about halfway through the beer, it's perfect. Thick, chewy, full, it dances on your palate.

Drinkability is fantastic for the style. If I didn't have to work in the morning, I might go have one or two more. But this beer is quite strong, and I see that as being potentially dangerous.

Wonderful beer.

11-18-2009 05:20:11 | More by davod23
tjd112

Presentation - Tapped into goblet

Appearance - Very dark brown colour with extremely small head

Smell/Taste - A lot like cherry cake, very biscuity and malt forward

Mouthfeel - Heavy bodied with a somewhat dry finish

Drinkability - Must be nursed

Overall - A great intro to Quadrupels

01-09-2010 16:03:37 | More by tjd112
donkeyrunner

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I originally bought this after qualifying for the Boston marathon. My plan was to drink it after I ran the race but ended up getting injured. C'est la vie. Drank while baking Coca-cola cupcakes.

Muddy diarhea colored light brown. Large, bubbly tan head exhausts itself down to a decent bubbly tophat and remains that way for the duration of the beer.

Aroma is, to quote Black Rob, "like whoa." Earthy dark fruit, pumpernickel bread crust, steely caramel, molasses. I can smell figs and grapes but it's also like a can smell the dirt they were grown in, the sun and the water that fed them.

Taste is again earthy dark fruit. Chocolate covered black cherry, bread crust and burn toffee. Taste lingers warms and loves. My palette is not worthy. Snappy carbonation. I never would have thought something so complex with such a high abv would be at the same time so accessible and demand sip after sip.

My girlfriend has got me hooked on the show Trueblood and in it 2 people get high on vampire blood and dance around, feel one with nature, themselves, and the world. This beer is vampire blood.

08-14-2010 14:02:48 | More by donkeyrunner
jayhawk73

Maryland

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

A- Poured into my St. Bernardus Chalice. Pours a wonderful dark brown color with a perfect two finger caramel head. Lacing is one of the best I've ever seen. This looks like (and is) a world class beer. It's got that Dirty Harry vibe- "Go ahead and dare to drink me".

S- Smell is fantastic. Lots of fruit, plum, spice, malt. Not quite as strong smelling as I'd like, but that's nitpicking. Great smelling beer.

T- One of the best beers I've ever had. Period. I can count on maybe two to three fingers the beers I've had that are better, and I've been drinking craft beer for 12 years. Definitely get plum, spices, malt, and a tiny bit of alcohol. Everything works in perfect harmony, and I wouldn't change a thing. Thus, the rare 5 on taste. If any beer deserves it, St. Bernardus Abt. 12 does.

M- This beer is super smooth, silky, and feels like butter in your mouth. Can't imagine a beer having a better feel than this one. It melts in your mouth- just perfect.

O- This is a world class beer. Period. I think I reviewed an exceptional bottle, as I've had this beer many times before. This is a good bottle of it for sure. If you haven't had this beer, you owe it to yourself to try it. And if you don't 'get' this beer or the glowing reviews... well, that's more for me! It really doesn't get much better than this. Cheers.

04-20-2011 00:12:35 | More by jayhawk73
skatterbrainz

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I've had this in bottle and on tap and both ways it was very good. A smooth taste that doesn't lean to far towards bitter or sweet, and keeps the malt and hops tastes in balance. I would have rated the small at 5.0 also, but I couldn't make myself rate this a "perfect beer" even though it's pretty damn close to that.

12-16-2011 01:15:12 | More by skatterbrainz
rodney45

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Found the 750 ml in Bayside NY... B&B beverage.
Best before 4/23/16... written on the wire cage over the cork that shot across the room since i didnt open it carefully.

A: Beautiful, intense and clarified dark brown. Profanely creamy with a tan head that sits atop this beer like a mystical pillowy crown. Nothing short of a 5/5 for this. Head retention is top tier, along with the latticework type lacing. Wow, how did they get this kind of retention on a 10 abv...

S: Ripe banana, malt, and granny smith apple. Floral notes. Slight alcohol phenol. The aroma doesnt jump out all at once, but needs to be coaxed.

T: First notes are of pears, Belgian spices (nutmeg, coriander and orange zest) and banana bread. Secondary profile is a very complex malt blend, mixed with a smidgen of hop bitterness. It also has tertiary flavors of canna lilly flower and a huge hit of creamy maltodextrin towards the end of the beer. Non dry finish with returning notes of banana, pear, plum, belgian spices, and cherry. This taste profile is so complex, I was worried I wouldnt be able to pick out each flavor. Im sure there are some that I am missing.

M: Medium to heavy body, with light carbonation. More sweet than bitter and very creamy. Slight alcohol warmth.

O: This is THE beer, top of the spectrum. The alpha. I have had nothing better to date. This is on par with the rochefort 10, probably a little more complex. If you can find this, absolutely buy it and buy some more and ship them to me.

Note: This beer is far too good to be alone. I paired this with a roasted garlic hummus, pretzels and gouda cheese. I could theoretically see you pairing this with a braised brisket of beef.

02-04-2012 10:53:57 | More by rodney45
Markfeldman21

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I bought a 12 oz bottle and drank it like a wine; poured it into Bordeaux glass and everything. I love doing that with "bigger beers." You stick your nose in there and really get a sense of the different aromas. This one in particular is incredible.

Each whiff provides a perfect blend of fruity and spicy notes including bananas, cherries, and plums. The “quad/alcohol” aroma is clearly present but not overpowering. It balances very well with the fruit and rich malt flavors.

The beer is a dark red-maroon like color. For those of us who love dark Belgians, the complexion is flawless. The Abt 12 has a nice big head, which usually settles relatively quickly. Depending on the style of beer, specifically with Belgians, I’ll usually wait for the head to settle; I want get all the good stuff, none of those foam bubbles for me.

The first taste is the amazing. Going back to that whole wine thing, I can’t help but savior every sip. I take my time with it. Not so much that these things aren’t cheap, but mostly because they’re so complex.

Pretty much what you smell is what you get; A lot of dark rich flavors including cherries, raisins, bready caramel notes, and that great unique Belgian yeast flavor, all blending together to make an absolutely incredible beer.

02-24-2012 19:13:17 | More by Markfeldman21