St. Bernardus Abt 12 - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus Abt 12St. Bernardus Abt 12

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 8,193 | Reviews: 2,607
4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The classic! Like the DFH 60 Minute I reviewed earlier this evening, Abt 12 is one of those beers I used to drink weekly and have taken a break from recently. Getting back into things this evening! Poured into my Chimay chalice.

A - lovely dark brown color with hints of red when held up to light, nice off-white head

S - dark fruit, caramel, spiciness

T - raisons, figs, spicy alcohol taste, a bit of caramel

M - medium bodied, great carbonation

D - well of course this is great! It's Abt 12! I can easily polish off a 750 mL of this provided I'm not too full when I begin. Of course I'll be drinking this again. If you haven't had it yet (and I assume your excuse would be that it's not sold in your area) get on it!

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: Fairly dark pour with a decent amount of foamy head that easily laces throughout the tasting.
Smell: Delightful fruity aroma; reminiscent of sweet fruits, some tartness- cherry perhaps? I can tell this is an abbey style ale by the smell alone.
Taste: Fruity and a bit sweet, wonderful complexities here- though no one flavor tends to dominate. Hints of cherry, fig, black licorice. These qualities tend to be more pronounced as the beer warmed.
Mouthfeel: Warming alcohol presence noted, medium-bodied feel- appropriate for the abbey profile.
Drinkability: Based on the taste, I can certainly have more than one; the ABV will certainly limit any ideas of a session though.

Awesome Quad abbey ale! This is a beer that can be appreciated by both beeradvocates and newbies.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

11.2 oz bottle (only 10% abv) poured into a snifter.

A: Dark, murky brown that lightens near the top. Has a lovely two-finger head that lasts for a minute or two. Excellent lacing.

S: Lots of cherries, but in a sweeter way than 3 Philosophers. I get an almost maraschino cherry scent right away, and then some dark cherries come in behind. Perhaps some red currants as well. A delight for the olfactory system.

T: Cherries again, but mostly of the dark variety. Taste doesn't change that much for me through the sip, stays pretty consistent and fades a bit. Doesn't have the somewhat bitter aftertaste of the 3 Philosopher's which is nice.

M: A bit lighter than what I was expecting, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Carbonation is right where it should be.

D: Quite high. I could easily polish off another.

The smell was the highlight of this brew for me. Would have liked to give it a 4.75 and the taste a 4.25, so I compromised on my scores. Taste was real good, though not quite as complex as I thought it would be. I'm sure it will be even more delightful with a few years of age in it.

4.12/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a dark brown with ample carbonation and sea foam two finger head. The lacing is very nice as well. The nose is a little weak but detectable are belgian yeast, malt and candied sweetness. The taste is the same as the nose with the abv masked nicely. The mouthfeel is a velvety light to medium body and the drinkability is high.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured into a cheap chalice - nice rich mahogany color, not a substantial head, but a nice coating over the top that sustained itself throughout. Serious floaties that are visible through the glass. I tried to decant it, but if I stopped when some sediment started to come through, I would have left half the bottle. So, I went for nearly all of it.

S: Very rich aromas of dark fruit, like grape juice, mixed with dark grain, licorice, and clove (?). Very interesting and compelling.

T: Incredibly potent - I can't get away from the adjective "rich" - so flavorful, of ripened fruit, grape juice (again), spices, and plenty of malty. Not much bitterness, but a pleasant finish. Noticeable alcohol, but in balance with everything else.

M: Right like it should be.

D: Again, compelling and a great drink, but I couldn't do more than one at a time.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

My expectations on St Bernardus Abt 12 were high, to say the least. I overherad some guys at the bar saying it was number three on best of BA. Respect. The happy monk label on the bottle is pretty low budget but the beer itself is straight from beer-shambala. It poured with a nice dark blue-red color with brownish head that settled down to a finger. The complex flowery smell reminded me of cheap, artificially flavoured soft candy. The taste is actually a lot like traditional Swedish Christmas must but with a lot more alcohol. Some dry hops emerging in the aftertaste, biting the cheeks. Don't try to drink another brand during the same session!

4.48/5  rDev +0.2%

This brew a deep dark copper-amber with a nice head that sticks around throughout the drink.

Smell: Slightly medicinal, fruit laden nose.

Where do you begin with this one? Mouthfeel is slightly astringent but not too harsh. Alcohol is evident in the finish. Taste is of fresh fruit, slightly acidic on the palate. The only thing that detracts from this brew is the dominant alcohol presence which lessens the drinkability. Still this deserves to be sipped, would be great on a winter day. An excellent brew by any standard.

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

Pristine, subtle, and overwhelming worthy of respect. Hype that surrounds certain beers usually turn me off a bit but I cant be turned away by such desrving fervidity.

Pours a merkey brownish red and retains a fluffy bubbley slightly off white head. There is some yeast sediment in the bottle but not as much as I have gotten in some other bottles of abt 12. The aromas coming from my glass are heavenly. With the addition of typical belgian trappist ale aromas (plum, sweet figs, other dried fruit, I can pick up hints of apple, pear, and the aroma is rather smooth than others i have sampled with less of a present alchol character in its smell. The taste, oh! and the taste, again contains characteristics true to most quadrupels but is set apart with how incredibley smooth and well balanced the flavors flow together. Each characteristic seems to blend into each other and leave you with this aftertaste of a wonderful mix of fruits, mollasses and a ever so slight alcohol warming. The mouthfeel is silkier than expected, but each flavor sticks to your taste buds. This is a beer that needs exploring to really get and I plan to explore. This deserves its recognition.

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%

When deciding which beer I would choose to be my first review, I finally chose this to be the one... and I am confident in my selection. Enjoying this beer begins with the aroma of apples and a hint of other fruits complimented by the dark auburn appearance with a large frothy head. The taste and finish completely mask the alcohol. A sweet, fruity taste with a very crisp and pure mouthfeel make this an exceptional treat that I highly recommend.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into my snifter. I'm not sure why this is listed on here as a quad, it says right on the back of the bottle that Abt 12 is brewed in the Dubbel style...I'm a little bit confused but oh well, I'm not much of a stickler for styles anyways.

A- Abt 12 pours a medium dark brown with a huge 2-3 finger fizzy head. Appears to be highly carbonated.
S- Dark fruit, sweet caramel malts, some spices I can't identify exactly, a little bit of alcohol and maybe even some chocolate if I really think about it.
T- Smooth and mellow, yet big and flavorful. I think that's part of what makes this beer so great. The taste is sweet malts, ripe dark fruits, and some spices.
M- Thick and creamy, highly carbonated. Very little noticeable alcohol presence, even as the beer warms.
D- Goes down smooth and easy.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
St. Bernardus Abt 12 from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV