St. Bernardus Abt 12 - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus Abt 12St. Bernardus Abt 12

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Abt 12 Alström Bros

trubeernick, Feb 27, 2014

nightwing002, Nov 14, 2011
3.74/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: hazy, with a smattering of bubbles as a head. The color was an opalescent golden brown.

Smell: Currants and raisins at first, then more toffee and caramel as the beer warms. Then, on to vanilla bean. Excellent layers!

Taste: The first impression is of the dark fruit and melanoids described anove. But medium bitterness forces its way in with welcome assertiveness, along with prickly pear and white pepper. A but too phenolic. Methinks my bottle isn't the best, considering I've had this before and haven't tasted the phenols like this.

Mouthfeel: Mad carbonation, with prickly alcohol warmth that coats the throat. Medium body. Too dry and harsh for the style, in my opinion, but I've had this before, and I think my bottle this time may be a bit bad.

Overall: This is the second time I've tried this beer. The first time, I was blown away. This time around, I felt like I didn't rember the carbonation being so strong, the finish being so dry, or the alcohol being so obvious. Will have to try again.

BethanyB, Aug 30, 2013

Goofster, Feb 22, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

CK319, Jul 30, 2014
4.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Bubbly fizzy light tan head that lasts a while. Dark reddish copper color. Spicy malt aroma with vinous and cherry notes mixed in. This is a very peppery dubbel with considerable carbonation that gives a bit of a bite on the tongue. Clove and other spices I can’t place are also present. Malt notes are apparent at the start, but sweetness is minimal. Finishes with citrusy hops notes that linger in the aftertaste with the pepper notes. Mouthfeel is medium and somewhat fluffy from the carbonation. Quite a dry finish that is fairly tart. Somewhat warming on the way down.

This one improves immensely as it warms. Spice notes become more subdued, malts become more pronounced, fruitiness picks up, and all the flavors begin to meld together wonderfully. The mouthfeel becomes increasingly smooth. Malt sweetness reveals notes of bread, honey, and dark sugar. Spiciness is still present, but does not seem as excessive as it does when cold.

I typically keep my beers in the fridge and let them sit out for 5-10 minutes before opening the bottle. Evidently, I was a little over eager and opened this one while it was still a bit too cold. I was quite surprised by the changes (for the better) in flavor as Abt 12 warmed.

byrd, Dec 01, 2003

laintringulis, Feb 06, 2012
4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one smooth puppy. Poured a dark and murky brown with a tannish head that faded to thin layer. Smelled yeast, malt, and perhaps some brown sugar. Taste was very good with a predominant malt flavor but perfectly balanced. The beer had a great warming feel to it as the alcohol hit my stomach. Nice carbonation on this full bodied brew. Drinkability is high...I wish I had more than this 750 ml bottle. Excellent beer!

cpn920, Feb 09, 2009

emalc, Jun 01, 2014
4.55/5  rDev +1.8%

I'm staring at a half empty bomber of the stuff and felt like I absolutely had to log on and review this brew.

The cork was a lot easier to jimmy out than some other beers I've struggled with lately. That's certainly a plus. And this god damn crazy monk is giving me the eye and laughing at me for not having a Bernadus chalice like the one he's holding on to. 'It's in the mail, I swear I swear...'

The pour on this one was quite nice. The off white head was one of the most beautiful billowing pieces of art to ever appear atop a beer. Really a spectacular sight. Unfortunately, head retention wasn't that great (and certainly sub-par for a quad, from my humble experience). Lacing, to say the least, was not sub par. My glass now has a ring of head around the beer and some odd shaped continent of head looming in the middle, daring me to drink.

There's a ton of sweet malt on the nose. A little raisin but more grape and most certainly all kinds of apples: Smelling this reminds me of apple picking as a kid with my father and brothers, seeing apples rotting underneath the trees and getting yelled at for picking them up.

This beer tastes great. What else can I say. The sweet malt is ever-present. Raisins, figs, and plums all lay themselves out on the table quite clearly while some spices and coriander try to hide but inevitably come through. There's a bit of an alcohol kick to this one but it doesn't detract from the deliciousness at all.

St. Bernadus abt 12 is a bold beer--medium bodied and intensely sweet at times, the drinkability is really good in spite of the fact that's it's most certainly a sipper. I just don't know if I'll be able to finish the bottle.

Well, cheers--

Twoheartedzombie, Jun 29, 2014

nebuchadnezzer, Jul 09, 2014

BrunoPettipas, Jul 31, 2014
4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: Hazy, dark brown body, with suspended yeast. Gorgeous light-tan pillow of a head with apparently endless retention and the creamiest, richest lace I've ever seen.
Smell: MALT... excellent malt nose, alcohol overwhelms, but this was expected.
Taste: Big strong ale malt, very pleasing yeast support, with a semi-dry wine-like grape/citrus fruit character.
Mouthfeel: Rich, full, creamy. Alcohol warmth is subtle and not at all intrusive. Carbonation level is perfect. Wow this is big.... leaves your whole mouth tingling.
Drinkability: A delicious fire-side sipper! This ale certainly deserves all of the accolades heaped upon it.

DagFishHead, Nov 02, 2003
4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a raisin brown with a frothy off-white head that diminishes to form a skim coat, and some yeasty floaters. Smells of tart fruity esters, candy sweetness, apples and plums, bready, vinous alcohol notes. Tastes much the same. Initially very malty and sweet, becoming more fruity and vinous in character. Lots of bready banana yeast, sugary sweet mixed with a spicy hop bite, and a lingering vinous alcohol aftertaste. Medium thick, moderate carbonation. This is what I envision a quad to be: sweetness, estery, spicy, vinous character and noticeable alcohol. A nearly perfect brew.

gimmehead, Apr 24, 2005