St. Bernardus Abt 12 - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus Abt 12St. Bernardus Abt 12

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Abt 12 Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

I have heard so many good things about this beer, and I finally decided to open one up tonight for my 28th birthday.

The beer is a murky red/brown with one finger tan head that sticks around. The nose is full of dark ripe fruit, toasted caramel and a brilliant sweetness. Something about it screams dry red wine to me (maybe it's the fruit). The flavor is fantastic! Cloves hit your right up front and then there are dark cherries, red grapes, and a moderate alcohol presence. The body is moderate with solid carbonation.

This is definitely a world class beer. Rich fruits mixed with spices, slight alcohol burn and then a sharp dry finish. I love this beer! Probably the best Quad that I have had to date. I sure hope that I can get my hands on a Westy 12 one of these days to compare.

jlandis, Nov 22, 2010

Auztan, Nov 06, 2012

Mahlik, May 20, 2012

Broom, Apr 27, 2014
4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Hands down, the baddest beer that I have had to date and I have had many. I still haven't tried a Westy 12 but I have had alot of Trappists and this beer is way up there in the league with those.

I noted alot of candied sugar on the finish which just lasted forever. A very sweet finish and a very complex beer. I drank it out of my Westmalle chalice at around cellar temperature. The first time I had this beer was at a pub and it was on draft. A shame b/c it was served very cold like the other draft beers and many of the flavors weren't noted.

I absolutely love this beer and would drink it anytime, anywhere. Highly, highly recommended.

RollTide05, Aug 26, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -16.6%

preface this by saying belgians will never be my thing. there's two belgian style beers i love and both are made in america, weyerbacher tiny and lagunitas little sumpin' wild.

pretty color, tons of carbonation, too fizzy, i wound up using my 4 oz taster with a real tight pour to lose some of the fizziness.

smells and tastes apples, pears, little cherry. not bad, but a bit of a chore to finish the 25 oz. very warming and alcohol hidden nicely.

overall 3rd time ive had this and it will be the last. recently got more, better fruit flavor from an absolutely delicious, super fresh sixer of troegenator.

B33R501, Jul 25, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

wells9uk, Jul 06, 2012

udouche, Nov 01, 2013
3.74/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance: hazy, with a smattering of bubbles as a head. The color was an opalescent golden brown.

Smell: Currants and raisins at first, then more toffee and caramel as the beer warms. Then, on to vanilla bean. Excellent layers!

Taste: The first impression is of the dark fruit and melanoids described anove. But medium bitterness forces its way in with welcome assertiveness, along with prickly pear and white pepper. A but too phenolic. Methinks my bottle isn't the best, considering I've had this before and haven't tasted the phenols like this.

Mouthfeel: Mad carbonation, with prickly alcohol warmth that coats the throat. Medium body. Too dry and harsh for the style, in my opinion, but I've had this before, and I think my bottle this time may be a bit bad.

Overall: This is the second time I've tried this beer. The first time, I was blown away. This time around, I felt like I didn't rember the carbonation being so strong, the finish being so dry, or the alcohol being so obvious. Will have to try again.

BethanyB, Aug 30, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Finally this comes back to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Paid $7.99 for the large 750mL bottle

Pours a deep reddish-brown with a nice frothy head. Lots of lacing and long retention. The bubbles are so tiny and creamy looking, so inviting.

Smell is sweet and malty, nice candy sugars. Dark fruit, old wood and alcohol.

In the taste I get hit with dark fruits and malts first. They are many mineral tastes (good) that I have only noticed in this and Westvleteren (which I am lucky enought to have tasted side by side) Not nearly as much alcohol in the taste as I thought there would be based on the nose. It't there though, don't get me wrong. There is a little nutty vanilla in there also, but it is passing as you warm up.

The feel of these beer is awesome, creamy and smooth (from those tiny bubbles I guess) and perfect body for the taste.

I don't know if I like it as much as the Westvleteren 12, but given the relative ease of getting the Abt 12 it is a major hit in my book.

hobbes2112, Jul 31, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Hallelujah, I love trying beers like this for the first time, as they tend to change the way you think about beer. I could tell just by looking at it in the glass that I was in for a treat. It's brown and merky with a big tan head that damn near jumped out of the bottle. As smell and taste are so well intertwined, I will simply say that the malty, banana-like quality of this beer is the stuff of dreams. As for the drinkability... if I had no self-restraint, I'd finish the bottle in about 3 minutes.

Once again, let it be noted that a label featuring a smiling monk holding a beer designates a truly fantastic brew.

86MonteSS, Nov 06, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer pours a deep brown color with mild carbonation.

The taste is spicy with lots of complexity. Lots of fruit flavors hit your mouth- fig, banana, and plum flavors come out. Wonderful aftertaste, and the complexity and flavor hides the ABV although it can be noticed. This is a truly great beer that I may not be worthy of. I prefer it to any Belgian beer that I have had to date (pretty much everything but Westy at this point). I would highly recommend it to others.

gotbeer, Apr 15, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

A- Poured into a tulip glass with a tree finger head. It was a light brown in color. Laced very well all the way down the glass.

S- Has a very good aroma. It starts with a sweet beady malt, follows with raisins and plum. There is a bit of alcohol. Slight notes of spices.

T- It is a very well rounded Belgian quad. It has all the right notes Bread pudding, fruit of plums and raisins. Just a tuck of spicy hops towards the end and finishes with a sweet aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied, Plenty of carbonation. Finishes slightly dry. A slight warming from the alcohol.

O: This is a very good got to Belgian quad. It is consistent and delicious.

DwnTwnBwn, Jul 07, 2009

Shoo65, Dec 05, 2012

jamisonspitzer, Feb 14, 2012

EdwardFortyHands, Jul 09, 2013

Snarf103, Feb 12, 2013

maynard713, Oct 21, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

A: A thick two finger head. Completely cloudy reddish brown.

S: A ton of sweetness in the nose, both malty and ripe fruit. There's something in the smell that reminds me of champagne.

T: Plum, clove, super sweet. A slight citrus note.

M: Oily, plenty of carbonation.

O: I was pretty excited about this beer, but in my opinion it didn't live up to its reputation. It's a really good Quad, but not a great one. Don't not drink this beer, but I highly recommend drinking the Rochefort 10. Better yet drink them side by side.

AxesandAnchors, Jan 02, 2013

HALB, May 20, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

DoomVM, Apr 16, 2013

BlueWinged35, Jul 18, 2013
4.46/5  rDev -0.2%

Light brown color with orange and reddish hues. Tan 2-finger pillowy head that carries medium+ retention and sticky lacing.

Brown bread, molasses, cola, nutmeg, light brown sugar, white pepper and a mild earthiness.

Rich on the palate: root beer and sassafras, dark rich malt, molasses, brown sugar, cardamon, white pepper, light caramel and toffee. There is a little sweetness here, but not nearly as much as the descriptors would indicate.

Medium+ bodied with the alcohol really nicely integrated into the beer. Rich texture with a slight sweetness. The long finish is really nicely balanced.

Excellent.