St. Bernardus Abt 12 - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus Abt 12St. Bernardus Abt 12

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Abt 12 Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

750ml bottle poured into a large snifter. I'm surprised I haven't reviewed this beer. The first time I had it was probably eight or nine years ago, when I was just starting to get into beer, and Belgians were an exciting frontier.

Anyway. Pours dark but not cloudy, rich ruby color, lots of carbonation, lots of head. Very pretty. Smell is yeasty, grassy, dark tart plums in the background. There's a very nice sourness.

Taste is complex and rich, short bright flash of tartness, heaps of sweetness and rich malt, heavy yeast flavor, raisins and dates, dark fruit. Not my favorite style, but one of my favorites of the style.

Mouthfeel is thick and rich but mysteriously airy. Overall, this is really a great beer.

4.86/5  rDev +8.7%

Served on tap into some kind of goblety glass I would assume, too long ago to remember the exact shape, but it was at Rose & Crown in Palo Alto, CA, an excellent beer bar.

A: Dark purple with a mocha head, from my notes, which sounds odd, but I have another bottle and I'll edit this review when I try it again.

S: Strawberry, grape and citrus in the nose. Again, this was too long ago to remember, and my notes from back then were shitty. I do remember that it smelled great, and tasted amazing.

T: Grape and other fruit falvors (god damned old notes). The point is, get it however you have to, it tastes amazing and is well worth the roughly $11 price tag (or more if you're unlucky).

M: Medium bodied, probably average carbonation. That doesn't sound right. Just try it. It's amazing.

O: At the time I had this, this was probably the best beer I had ever tried, but I've since had a few hundred more beers, and this sits very near to my top ten. It's my favorite quad, though I've neither tried aged Rochefort 10 (something I will do come Christmas) nor Westy XII. I have had Rochefort 10 that hadn't been aged, Pannepot, La Trappe, Ommegang Three Philosophers, Ovila Quad, La Trappe batch 7 (Scotch, I think), Avery's the reverend, Gulden Draak Batch 9000, and Bourbon Barrel Monk's Brew. This is still my favorite.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dare I say the most widely consumed true Belgian Quad in the US? Yes, an outstanding beer choice that pours a dark brown color into a bottle. I pout from a 1pt. 9.4oz cage and cork bottle.

To tell you the truth I was expecting an abundance of carbonation such as in a Duvel or Gulden Draak but wasn't as much. It was still sufficient compared to american belgians. It recommends 52-56 degress which I had this chilling at in my wine fridge. Beautiful bouqet of dark fruit. Rasins, plum in addition to traditional malt flavor.

4.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Review 200, 330ml bottle poured into Leffe chalice. Dark auburn colour, 90% opaque, one finger tanned head, decent retention, fair amount of lacing. Aroma was musty grape and booze. Tasted rasin, plum, fig, fudge, molasses, and brown sugar. Quite boozy compared to Rochefort 10. Finish was slightly biscuity and boozy. Well carbonated, light body, smooth but had a slightly coarse edge from the booze. Seemed to mellow as it warmed, got less boozy and the carbonation dropped off slightly. A very good beer rather than a great one, places below Rochefort 10.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV