St. Bernardus Abt 12 - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus Abt 12St. Bernardus Abt 12

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Abt 12 Alström Bros
GJ40

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

I poured this one in a Chimay chalice and it impressed from the start. The deep, dark color had a hint of red and contrasted nicely with a perfect head (about an inch). I paused in appreciation for what the Belgians have done for us.

This is certainly a strong beer. At 10% ABV, it's meant to be savored. I can down lesser beers at a pretty rapid pace (at least the first 2-3) but I've met my match on this one. And who would want to rush it anyway. Well done St Bernardus.

01-23-2008 12:54:12 | More by GJ40
DavidSeanNJ

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Served into my Chimay chalice...

A- Very dark ruby red/dark mahogony color. huge 2 finger frothy creamy off white head.

S- Sweet malts and a lighty fruity essence.

T- Fuity, rich, and very peppery. Deep and rich, some nutty flavors to round it out.

M- Mouthfeel was smooth and tingly.

D- One of the best beers I have ever had. Period. Perfect balance, amazing complexity, impecible flavors.

01-21-2008 15:54:44 | More by DavidSeanNJ
Proteus93

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%

A: A murky, deep walnut - light chestnut brown, with a fabulous creamy head. The lace sticks to the sides of the glass like a champ on this one. Very nice.

S: Deep, malty aromas... touches of fruits. Quite a pleasant, rich scent.

T: Some rich, dark fruits, coupled with the lovely malts. The slightest bit buttery, and tasty.

M + D: A very smooth abbey ale, with a nice, full body. With a bit of a liberal gulp from a goblet, it fills the mouth and goes down with a little added warmth. Quite excellent.

01-19-2008 02:15:13 | More by Proteus93
dedrinker

Kansas

3.7/5  rDev -17.2%

I aged mine for like, three years or so. Murky root beer color with a fast fading creamy tan head. Aroma of donuts, gum balls, and damp packed-down dirt (my grandfather dug his own basement beneath his farmhouse). slightly sweet, store-brand generic raisin bran flavor. Medium body with a slightly tannic finish. The aroma improves as it mellows in the glass.

01-18-2008 04:42:16 | More by dedrinker
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle conditioned. Pours a beautiful ruby brown, with a generous off-white head, which slowly diminishes to a small creamy foam of microbubbles. The aroma is a strong bouquet of fruit and sweet malts - it smells like you should eat it with a spoon. The flavour is divine, and changes as the drink warms. Raisins and dried figs feature prominently, and every now and then a hint of peach comes through. The sweet malts are present from the start, and become more dominant as time goes by, as does the fruitiness of the yeast. Exceptionally creamy on the palate, and with a warming finish, this makes me glad that this is the first bottle of a case of 24!

01-14-2008 19:56:42 | More by bobsy
tempest

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

You know, the last couple times I've had this beer it was on tap and I found it sweet and fruity, but unimpressive. The bottle I had, however, was damn good.

Poured into a red wine glass, its a slightly hazy brown and light tan head. Rich smell of dark fruit malts that gives way to the cherries and blackberries in the flavors that roll over your tongue with a mellow caramel. It finishes with a grassy hops note that stands up to the big malts and adds a wonderful balance. This bottle ran out too quickly.

01-13-2008 21:27:45 | More by tempest
RedBeerHead

4.15/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours dark and cloudy, heavy yeast content. Very prominent and foamy head. The head settles to about three inches, is very carbonated and sort of looks like root beer head. Very malty and fruity smell. Taste is basically what you would expect, heavy and good yeast/fruit flavor. This is a good Belgium trappist. Each one seems to bring something different to the table. Big fan.

01-12-2008 23:34:33 | More by RedBeerHead
wyattgene

Missouri

I was turned on to this beer just a couple of weeks ago at my next door neighbor's X-mas party. I am an Ale drinker but this was my first taste of a Quadruple Ale. This was absolutely hands down the best tasting beer I have experienced. I have tried 3 or 4 quadruples since and I enjoyed all of them. Today my special order arrived and I am just finishing my first bottle. This will be my reference Beer until I try something better. This has it all. I am not yet qualified to get all fancy with my descriptions but this beer poors great, smells great, is awesome on the front end and even better on the back end. This beer fired me up enough to seek it out and buy about a two month supply and join the beer advocate! I have to start somewhere don't I?

01-11-2008 03:47:23 | More by wyattgene
Mudpuppet

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

Thanks to triplecoil for the chance to try this.

A- Poured from a 750 into a Brooklyn wide style Champagne glass. Pours a dark mahogany with about 3-4 inches of head. Clipped the head with a knife like a Belgian bartender and it began to go down.

S- Very light aroma of most dark malts.

T- Starts out strong with malts with light notes of dark fruits. Most of the taste is coppery, metallic though. I enjoy this beer though.

M- Thick and malty. Coats your mouth with medium carbonation.

D- I could drink a few glasses of this. This is a very good quad!

01-10-2008 23:15:09 | More by Mudpuppet
jenbys2001

Japan

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%

This was my first high alcohol content beer on tap. Beautiful in a glass, with a thick frothy head. I found it very creamy and delightful to sip. It has more of an alcohol taste but it's very drinkable. I found it a much easier sipping beer than Delirium Tremens (my first high alcohol content beer, period). After two glasses I was glad I drank it at Mr. Dunderbak's so I could wander the mall and sober up a bit.

01-10-2008 03:01:30 | More by jenbys2001
HombreWing

4.38/5  rDev -2%

11.2 oz bottle ...ballooned red wine glass

Eyes: Deep mahogany, bright. Tiny bubbles. Head leaves unfortunately and unexpectedly.

Nose: Raisins, caramel malts, perhaps caramelized...Spicy yeast....some alcohol

Tongue: Sweet malt, chocolately notes/subtle nuttiness...drying finish on some swallows, but not all ? Full flavored Ale Def alcohol hotness as it warms up..started around 60'F to begin with. Very, very, very subtle autolysis, also can be perceived as the yeast bite.

Texture: Some chewiness..medium body helps hide some of that 10%

Overall experience: It commands a higher price and with good reason. This was a nice treat.

01-07-2008 03:44:20 | More by HombreWing
MTNboy

Germany

3.83/5  rDev -14.3%

Appearance- A dark red/brown body that formed just under a finger of head in my glass. As I drank the wonderful lace followed all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Smell- Sort of rich and complex but very alcohol filled.

Taste- The taste was not as strong on the alcohol as one would have expected but there is a little alcohol bite. It has some dry fruit and sugar tones that are dominant in the taste. Some mild hops finish this beer's flavor off nicely.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and smooth.

Drinkability- Easy to drink, sip and unwind to.

01-06-2008 14:31:34 | More by MTNboy
Lupe

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

Hazy brown in color with lighter rusty hues. Impressive big and fluffy off-white head, which settles to a thin sheet and leaves lots of sticky lace. A few swirls brings the head back up.

Rich malty aroma. Very fruity with spicy clove and dark bread. Banana, plum, and dried fruit are all present. Very nice.

Starts with spicy clove before the sweetness hits. Lots of brown sugar with dark fruit and bready malts. Nice and juicy with grape and banana. A touch of butter shows up as well. Alcohol is barely noticeable, hiding under the sweetness and fruit, and slowly builds a nice warming sensation. Finishes sweet before turning dry.

Medium-full in body, smooth and creamy. I’d have no problem sipping this all night long - goes down way too easily. Excellent.

12-30-2007 22:44:29 | More by Lupe
RblWthACoz

4.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Out of an 11.2 ounce bottle.

Pours a murky ruby brown. Mild nose with slight yeast tones. Touch of grapefruit scents. Flavor seems dominated by the alcohol. A bit of brown sugar sweetness. Basically I feel like this is a bucket of overdone sweetness. Feel is so-so. Carbonation seems to high and I feel it interferes with the flavor. Drinkability has to stay at 4. It just seems too much. I tried the Prior 8 right before this and found I liked it much better. I will concede that I may have gotten a weak bottle and I will plan to try it again in the future.

12-30-2007 11:54:55 | More by RblWthACoz
stemcell001

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev -8.3%

Split a 750 ml bottle with my wife. Served at cellar temp into goblets.

Nice full dark brown with good head and excellent lacing. Strong notes of raisin and cherry. Very nice taste with strong yeast characteristics. Alcohol very present but subdued by the other flavors. I could have easily managed to drink the entire bottle over the course of the night. This is a wonderful example of a Belgian quad.

12-30-2007 00:58:35 | More by stemcell001
sloejams

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

This is an extraordinary beer that I turn to time and time again.

It pours a dark cherry almost brown with a pinky finger head that cascades the glass. The aroma is of dark cherry, plum and dried apricot. The flavor has a cola sweetness to it with subtle vanilla, clove and allspice. Texture is quite creamy. A very full beer that is surprisingly easy drinking for it's high ABV.

12-28-2007 19:05:08 | More by sloejams
Kjos29

4.47/5  rDev 0%

1. Appearance is quit simply thick, creamy, and dark brown texture.
2.Smelled fresh with an aroma of some sort of cream flavor.
3.Little tiny dancing elves throwing taste explosion crystals on your tongue!
4.Same as above although the alcohol amount hides very well so be careful drink two of these in a few minutes at 10.50 ABV and wowie.
5.It goes down smooth but is very very filling hard to imagine drinking more then a few not just because of the alcohol, but the richness of it.
Overall one of the best damn beers i've ever tasted.

12-28-2007 06:55:23 | More by Kjos29
ndolover

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

a: excellent retention and lacing. The beer has a cola color.

s: Plums, and dark fruit. Alcohol and and malt predominate. almost no hop aroma

m: High in cabonation and a medium to full mouthfeel with alcohol dancing on the tongue.

t: Nice belgian malts. Some dark fruit esters with some spice notes.

d: Wonderful example of the beer...almost scary drinkable with such a high alcohol content. I'm at a loss for words at how wonderful this beer is!

12-28-2007 02:21:37 | More by ndolover
joepais

Maine

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

750 ml Bottle poured murky brown off white head goes quick to lace. Strong yeasty plum, raison, cherries are some of the aromas that fill my nose. Sweet and malty along with wonderful sweet fruit flavors, that finishes with a light alcohol burn to it. Mouth feel is warm and bubbly. This truly is one of my favorite Quads

12-27-2007 03:00:44 | More by joepais
mfreire212

3.45/5  rDev -22.8%

I have sampled this beer in the recent past, but didn't review it at the time. So, I decided to try it again for the holidays and pay more attention to it.

A: poured fairly cold (50's) from a standard bottle, into a pint glass. A bit darker then I was expecting, but after the initial surprise, I liked the amber color. The head was average in size and retention, with a slightly off white color.

S: Nice, complex odors as soon as I raised the glass to inspect the color. Sharp at first, followed by a hint of alcohol (which would become even more apparent in a minute). Actually intensified as the beer warmed a bit.

T: Lots of alcohol at first. Almost too much to notice anything else (I guess the proper term is peppery). As that subsided, I detected what reminded me of maybe raisins, or figs. Lingered for quite awhile, too.

M: As stated above, there is a lot going on here. I would describe it as average, once the initial shock wears off. It does have some carryover from one sip to the next (and I recommend sipping).

D: Not bad at all. I can't see having more then one of these per session, unless you were interested in getting hammered. A nice selection to enjoy on a cold night, by the fire.

12-24-2007 18:16:47 | More by mfreire212
blackie

4.15/5  rDev -7.2%

a: Pours a healthy dirty white head with excellent retention and lacing. The beer is a somewhat hazy deep, stained brown in color.

s: Plummy Belgian malts upfront with a clean, papery hop spice. A range of dried fruits mixes well with the requisite Belgian yeast aromas. Just a touch of ethanol heat.

m: As expected, the carbonation is high and smooth. The body is a very smooth medium.

t: Nice Belgian malt flavors and a great, crisp finish of papery hops. Tasty...very clean, yet flavorful. Flavors include dark fruits and clean, dark Belgian sugars. Some banana in the aftertaste. Gentle bitterness.

d: very drinkable, warms the body

shared a 750 at a family holiday gathering

12-24-2007 01:08:12 | More by blackie
avalon07

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

St. Bernardus Abt 12 is an absolutely excellent beer in every respect. It possesses a nice appearance and pleasant smell. The taste - that's why we're all here, right? - is fantastic. The alcohol is masked exceptionally well, and you never feel overwhelmed by it. It's an immensely drinkable beer. Only one very minor quibble: it leaves a slightly bitter aftertaste. This, of course, is no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. On the whole, the Belgians have outdone themselves again with this beer.

12-23-2007 16:32:14 | More by avalon07
supascape

Georgia

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I first got my hands on this beer at the Brick Store Pub in Decatur, GA., a suburb of Atlanta. I saw a waiter delivering this gem in a rounded chalice to a group of guys. I asked them what they were drinking. They told me that it was the best beer that they had ever tasted and offered to buy me one. They said that I had to experience it. I had one...and another...and another! This brew is exceptional.

The beer was poured straight from the bottle (11.2 oz.) into an authentic St. Bernardus 12 chalice glass. The pub served the beer at 52 degrees F. The head was thick and foamy. The color of the head is khaki. When the head disappears, it leaves almost no lace. The color is deep, rich brown with hints of amber.

The nose is of fruit. Dates, raisins, molasses and a drop of smoke exist. The smell is awesome and reminds me of my great grandfather's pipe tobacco for some reason.

The taste is simply outstanding. It is complex with dried fruit. Apricots, raisins and dates, oh my! Wow. This is great. The semi-sweet malt is insane. This is like comfort food...for beer drinkers. The body warms after every sip. Trust me, this is a sipper. The 10.5% ABV says so!

The mouthfeel is fantastic. It is so smooth, creamy and rich. Very high-gravity. Almost like drinking milk. This is no exaggeration. It is that smooth.

Drink during a nice meal. The high ABV will prevent most people from drinking more than two or three per session.

12-20-2007 01:05:38 | More by supascape
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

I feel that this is the saints premier brew. A great example of a quadruple. very strong, and smooth. reminds me of the scaldis slogan. pours dark brown with good head, and good nose. tastes of great dark fruits, and spice. the carbonation is a little higher than i like, but doesnt wreck the brew like it can with some. if you like this brew try urthel samaranth as well, its a little more yeasty and less carbonated.

12-15-2007 04:12:21 | More by AKBelgianBeast
czfreeman

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Im very excited to be trying this one. beautiful mahogany color, fluffy,creamy head that has long retention. instant huge aromas of dried fruits,roasted malts, caramels, figs,holiday puddings. taste-wow! what a palate overload of fruits,vanilla,caramel.ends with a cloying tart finish,alcohol burn in the throat. its so good, I just want to chug, but will force myself to sip.

12-11-2007 06:50:01 | More by czfreeman