St. Bernardus Abt 12 - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus Abt 12St. Bernardus Abt 12

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Abt 12 Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thick, earthy, fruity flavor masks a surprisingly high, take-you-off-guard kind of ABV. Awesome-looking bottle, which might inspire friends to suggest that you have some kind of magic elixir in your closet. The grinning abbeyfellow is occasionally described as "creepy" by my less beer-snobbish friends. Not quite as creamy as I'd expected, but the thick, luxurious head makes up for it. For an instant, you are not a man, but a monk-- a purveyor of divine secrets and holy inspiration. My only gripe is the slightly prohibitive cost- this beer is absolutely worth trying, but save 'em for special occasions.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a murky caramel brown with a generous frothy white head with oily lacing.

The malty aroma is full of dark caramelized orchard fruit and bready yeast.

A dark caramel malt base leads of with supporting rolls from the dark orchard fruits noted in the aroma, ripe pear, dark plums, raisins and figs. Bready yeasts back up the flavors as well while the considerable alcohol being perfectly invisible with just a gentle warmth on the palate.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy and well carbonated.

Drinkability? Like most quality Belgians this beer is too drinkable for the alcohol level, you can easily sit and drink a bottle of this brew. Earns an easy recommendation from me!

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a snifter

Pours a beautifully dark russet brown/mahogany. Massive head which is absolutely gorgeous. A very pretty beer

Smells of malt and fruity Belgian yeast. Spiced and dark fruit most noticeable. Some caramel and brown sugar are also noted. Every inhale I feel as if I notice something else- amazingly complex brew.

The primary taste is of sweet, dark fruits- raisins and plums especially. Then comes the sweet caramel malt notes and the bready yeast flavors. Some alcohol warmth is present but not off-putting in the least. Ends with tantalizing vanilla and caramel tease.

The mouthfeel is excellent, more carbonation than expected but it certainly suits the beer perfectly. Creamy. Abt 12 is excessively drinkable for the ABV and every sip is a delight.

Notes- More Please!

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

A-The thickness of this brew is amazing, watching it as I pour it into a tulip glass is glorious, it has a dark brown head with a ton of lacing and a extremely dark amber color. Yet, what i thought was viscosity is really the cloudiness of sediment.

S- First, I smell the yeasty goodness, then what follows is the smell sweet, sweet stone fruits. Ahhh, but not just any stone fruit, stone fruit that has been dried in the sun, plums, apricots, and prunes.

T-Well this baby, tastes just as sweet as it smells. But now the flavor has intensified into dried cranberry, raisons and currants. I am beginning to get the Finnish of a great tartness. Man is this good.

M- I think i have decided that i enjoy the feeling of the brew in my mouth as it warms up a bit. I let it roll over my tong for a bit and decide to aerate it. If feels thiner than i thought it would be, however still medium body.

D-I am love'n this beer but I am not sure i would be up to drinking to much of it . The flavor is exceptional but the Alcohol might be just a bit to high to drink this all night.

4.15/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured into a chalice, this had an opaque mahogany color with a white head that lingered and laced nicely.

Dark fruits and slight molasses are the primary aromas, coupled with that quintessential abbey smell.

I tasted plum, prune, and ripe apple. It's amazing how this doesn't taste boozy at all. It's dense, but delicate because its flavor layering.

Mouthfeel is a little crisp at first with noticeable carbonation. It's drinkability is strong given then ABV. I wish it was fuller with morelayers

This is a very nice belgian quad. Are there better ones? Probably.
But this one is dependable, always around and solid enough.

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%

11.2oz. bottle poured into a tulip. 13.08.14 printed on the bottle.

(A)- Pours a dark, almost cloudy, brown to purple color. Produced a great fluffy eggshell white colored head that is clinging to the sides of the glass as it slowly dissipates; its leaving behind bits of webbing.

(S)- Some nice ripe dark fruits of plum & grape. Touches of dry clay & biscuits. Finishes with a yeasty horseblanket.

(T)- Some thick bits of banana & biscuits up front that flow into ripe dark fruits. Finishes dry, with plenty of yeasty clay & earth.

(M)- A lively carbonation level that dances to life on the tongue. Good juicy fruits with a classic earthy clay & yeast dryness that almost becomes bitter, but not quite. Crisp. The 10%abv is hidden extremely well.

(D)- A solid Quad that has everything in the right place for the style. A crisp & ripe flavor. I can finally see after having 3 bad bottles why just about everyone has given this good reviews. Its not the best, but definitely a classic example of the style.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

11.2oz bottle poured into a st. Bernardus chalice.

Pours a verydark ruddy brown with a huge 2 finger light brown head that looks fantastic, there is some noticable sediment floating around though. Nose is earthy, fruity, yeasty and ever so slightly boozy.

Taste is a bit sharp and boozy but it should fall off into the background as it warms up at bit. Mouthfeel is very full and crisp. There's lots of earthy nutty notes to this, finish is really malty. Really great representation of the style.

3.92/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a 25.4oz. glass bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a medium-dark brown with some red notes (mahogany?). Forms a foamy off-white head.

S - Sweet, with dark fruit scents.

T - Very sweet, more dark fruit from the nose here -- figs, raisins. Warming finish.

M - Medium-thick, sticking to the cheeks and tongue with a noticeable bite of carbonation.

D - This is a heavy beer, definitely to be consumed slowly, but enjoyable nonetheless.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

One of the first quads I tasted. Poured into a snifter at Belmont Station in Portland, OR. From early 2010 notes. Notes updated on 4/29/10 from a second bottle.

appearance - has a chocolate brown color to it, very dark great lacing, foamy finger head that stays for a bit, good lacing

smell - fruity, raisin, apple, spice

taste - bold, complex, alcohol is dominant from a fresh bottle, dark fruits galore, plum, sugars

mouthfeel - medium body, sufficient carbonation, finishes warm due to the alcohol, finishes with just a hint of dry

drinkability - this was hard for me to get through initially as it was the first quad I'd tried. In retrospect, a really enjoyable beverage for the style, the dominant alcohol makes this the hardest to give a high drinkability rating, but would be great aged. I need to plan on an aged bottle soon.

4.77/5  rDev +6.7%

Figured earning my 'Empty Mug' Karma status deserved a proper beer in celebration.
This is the first Quadrupel I've had, which gives me reservations about making a review -- but I have had plenty of good dubbels, tripels, BSDA and BSPA before, so that helps.

Had this on tap, served into a St. Bernardus Chalice.

And wow, does it look good. Color is a deep, hazy cherry mahogany mixed lightly with plum, with a lightly toasted colored cap on top. The only demerit this faces is that I expected better head retention and lacing.

Smell doesn't disappoint in the least. Candied plums, raisins, a hint of blackberry(?), all mixed beautifully with the heavenly malt smell.

I'm just going to clump the rest of the categories into one grand paragraph.

Tastes literally like sugar-plum fairies (thank you Tchaikovsky) are dancing on my tongue. Carbonation is of superfine bubbles which tingle and only enhance the experience. Alcohol is certainly present, but remains tucked behind the rest of the symphony. The fruit-laced malt flavors are out of this world. A dash of bitterness sneaks in towards the end, and dissipates before the sweet and malty finish.

[Taste is wonderful, but I won't give this a 5 until I've had Westvleteren 12.]

Wow!

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours into a tulip as a nearly opaque orange/brown with a huge tan head that shrinks to a centimeter-thick cap. Tons of visible carbonation.

The nose is sweet with hints of green apples and a hint of dusty yeast.

The taste is immediately very thick and malty with intense apple and banana flavors as well as a brief alcoholic warming. Sweet hard candies and a sharp tartness are in there as well. Silky-smooth mouthfeel and intense but fine carbonation give an amazing tactile dimension to this brew. Fantastic drinkability.

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This has to be one of the most balanced quads I've ever had. There is nothing offensive about this beer. The look is coppery but not thick. The nose is small with hints of sweetness like dried fruits but doesn't play the starring role. I actually think the drinkability is the real winner on this one. Since nothing is standing out as the main influence here it's hard to pick it apart. The high alcohol would be the only catalyst here because I'd be expecting it to go down a little hot but it doesn't. I had this on tap one time at our place and it lasted 12 hours. Definitely one I will get again when it becomes available.

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter - healthy head, lots of lacing. Dissipated to a small spotty layer. Cloudy, mahogany.

Fruity aroma, and yeasty. Getting a strong apple scent, swirling it brought back the head that had previously dissipated. Nice. Bit of raisin bread pudding, sweet and warm, with some spiciness.

Taste is sweet, but with a slight fruity tartness. A smidge of vanilla. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel is slightly carbonated, but not to excess. A delight to my senses. I want more.

I expected far more of an alcohol burn for the ABV. This is an incredibly drinkable, tasty beer. Obviously world class. Beer really exploded with more flavors as it warmed. I wish I had the vocab to really give it justice.

On the bottle - "Bringing Heavenly Nectar Within Reach." Indeed. This one rates on my personal beer scale as nectar of the gods. There is something about the Belgians that really get to my heart. (Future husband, if you are out there, take note. I've just given a hint to one of the keys to my heart, and it isn't flowers)

4.73/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I put this brew off for too long, finally decided to pop open my 750ml on a beautiful Saturday afternoon with no distractions and music-a-pumpin'.

Pour is beautiful, dark blood red with huge 3-finger off-white head on each pour. Head shrinks over time but never comes close to disappearing and leaves great, thick lacing. A bit of sediment.

Smells more fruity than I expected, I'm getting apple, plum, brown sugar, some booze. Smell is much more potent once the head dies down a bit.

Taste is so excellent, dark fruits aplenty mix wonderfully with a generous amount of brown sugar/caramel richness. If I had to pick other particulars, I'd say raisin, plum and sugar cookie. With the flavors I've listed here, you might think this is overly sweet, but it definitely is not. Everything is balanced wonderfully here. Every sip gets better and better. The booze taste is surprisingly VERY well-hidden, it is slight but only adds to the overall taste and leaves a great warming feeling in your face and stomach. The aftertaste is amazing, the yeast really starts to show through and the brown sugar/caramel element is to die for.

The mouthfeel is quite carbonated, but extremely luscious and creamy. Swishing this in around in my mouth is pure bliss. I have a glass of water standing by and I haven't taken one sip, I want this taste to cover my tongue forever.

I personally think this drinks extremely easy, especially compared to other quads I have tried. This is definitely an entirely different beast than the Rochefort 10, more fruity, I have to say I prefer this. Easily the best Belgian I've had so far. A beer that, like most rich Belgians, definitely deserves to be drank respectfully and to be drank in the right mood and environment. If it's true that this is the closest beer to Westy 12, than that has been hyped about 20 times more in my mind. I will be buying a 4-pack of this to age for sure.

*** edit -- 5/4/13

Opened up a 2010 bottle that is a little over 3 years old at this point. Huge dark fruit (red grape & raisin) overtakes other flavors a little bit but still quite excellent and opens more with warmth. Mouthfeel maybe has thinned out a little too but still amply carbonated. Great beer.

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Two full fingers of a rich fluffy slightly off-white head comprised of medium sized bubbles... Very solid retention gives way to a rich creamy lacing... Some quick fast paced carbonation can be seen rising along the sides of the glass at the very tippie top glass... An even inviting aubergine coloring... A glimmer of light sleaks in through the top... A decent amount of lacing clings to the sides of the glass along with a bit of sticky film...

S - A quick whiff a yeast... Loaded with sweet grape juice to start that quickly blends with other dark fruits... Raisins... Plums... Fig... Some subtle bready malts... Hints of cola and vanilla... Complex, but

T - Dark fruits dominate... Raisins... Grapes... Plum... Perhaps even a touch of blueberries... Vanilla... A touch of wood... Slightly nutty... A very very vague spiciness...

M - Medium bodied... Lush and creamy to start... Solid carbonation... Dry finish with a touch of alcoholic warmth... Remarkably smooth all the way around...

D - It should come as no surprise that this is a world class quad offering... Easy drinking... No real complaints, though the alcohol sticks a little more than I would have expected hindering drinkability ever so slightly...

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%

Mahogany brown with a nice smooth tan head that stayed with me the entire time.

Roasted caramel malts, bread, yeast, dark fruits and a bit of vanilla

a lot like it smells but I will say that I got a bit of a taste of metal from this bottle that I do not remember in the past that I was not as big a fan of.

Smooth and medium to full bodied. I loved the feel and could drink this all day.

For me this is a great nightcap and I will continue to enjoy it regularly.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Pours a deep hazel and produces a dense, khaki head that leaves chunky lacing all around my Chimay goblet.
This beer smells of rich malt, dark fruit, mostly fig and raisin, followed by a bready aroma and fruity esters from the yeast. Other notes are of dark cherry, banana, ripe fruit skin, and clove.
The first sip is prickly carbonation from the bottle conditioning, but quickly turns into a creamy sweet malt bomb that then displays dark fruit on the palate, followed up by a dry cocoa powder that plays nicely with a warming alcohol finish.
There is lively carbonation up front but it maintains a creamy mouthfeel and full body.
In my opinion, this is a great dinner or dessert beer. Super delicious!

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

Cracked open a bottle with soupedupdiesel on our Monday off. Put mine in a chalice. Poured the rest in soup's mug because he is a beast.

Popped the cork and gave a gentle pour into my chalice... Wow. Tilting the glass and pouring as gently as I could the head exploded. A rich creamy off white fluffy head. Looks beautiful. I couldn't believe the amount of head on this beer for a 10 percent ABV ale. The most impressive I've seen to date. Lots of good carbonation as well. The body is a deep hazy brown. This beer is beautiful. All sorts of fruit in the aroma. The tasty is a sweet grainy sensation. The alcohol was a bit warming so it did take me a little longer to drink. Quite an amazing beer.

4.23/5  rDev -5.4%

For the first time in 46 days, I can click "Review this Beer" and imbibe in my favorite brews. My choice for 1st beer back, St. Bernie 12.

11.2 oz bottle pours a nice dark cola color with an abundance of spice-flecked foam: very bubbly, has great retention and leaves lacing down my Chimay chalice. Fair bit of sediment floats to the bottom of the glass.

Bready nose with an underlaying of sweet dark fruits, a hint of cola, and light spicing.

Taste blows the nose out of the water. A sharp entry with a load of spicing (cloves) and an earthy, bready base. Touch of cocoa, dark fruits, a hint of booze in the finish. Rich caramel sweetness comes through in the finish as well. Nice, drying finish with a bit of alcohol warming on the way down. Perhaps a little too bubble for me, though without it I can see it could become a little syrupy.

A really excellent world-class quad (pretty sure we all know that going in) whose key words I would choose: spicy, earthy, and warming. Not sure I would grab more than one at a time. This beer makes me think it would enjoy some time in the cellar, could see this being mind-blowing.

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark mahogany hue with a big creamy head that leaves sizable lace ringlets in its wake.

S: Enticing aromas of Belgian yeast, bread, Abbey ale, subtle fruit, alcohol.

T: Fabulous beer. This has been a "go to" beer for me for many years. It sounds appealing any time of day, any time of year. Extremely well crafted, this beer opens up as it warms and tastes incredible. As far as quads, this is second only to Westvleteren 12, in my humble opinion.

M: Very smooth with just the right carbonation. Slight alcohol finish.

D: Highly recommended. A world class beer.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a plum / eggplant color, all most opaque. The head is off white, dense, and falls to a nice top and ring. No real lacing, just lots of bubbles that cling and slowly fall. This is just beautiful when I hold it to the light.

Fruity, sweet , nutty, and spicy. This beer has a very complex aroma. Raisins, plum, cherry, fig, caramel, toasted pecans, toffee, vanilla, and clove. Smells like toast and jam or a good danish. Inviting!

The taste is like the nose. Sweet dry/ripe fruits, spice, nuts, with toasted bread. The alcohol doesn't play into the flavor but does dry out the finish.

Not too heavy, not to light. There is a nice does of carbonation / flavors explode and dance on my tongue. It has a dry finish.

Warming and delicious, this is for sipping, but each sip begs another. This beer is about as good as it gets. IMO

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

St. Bernardus "Abt. 12". 750 ml. 2009 vintage.

Appearance:
This hazy beverage falls somewhere between a muddy brown and faded purple. The off-white head spills foam over the edge of the chalice as it mushrooms upwards magnificently. The glass is coated in lacing.

Aroma:
A spike of cloves, the dense and pleasant fog of malt sweetness, and dark, sun-dried fruits is what it's all about. Roasted malts, nutty, some light floral notes, the pungent waft of light alcohol, brown sugar, a spritz of cola, the smallest hint of sherry, spices and dark fruits galore - dates, plums, prunes and raisins. The dark fruits wallow in my nose, tripping over each other and filling me with a hazy sense of comfort.

Taste:
Clove is first, riding the wave of toasty malt and deep brown sugar. The dark fruit lurks beneath the surface -- plums, raisins, dates, prunes, and suddenly cherry too. Carob flavors -- so much light chocolate powder, subtly hide in the background, while the alcohol takes heart about halfway through the sip. Overall, it's earthy, brooding, fruity, dark, chalky sweet, and spicy too. The finish is smooth and warming, and leaves the taste of dark fruit and mild solvent flavors mingling in my mouth. Quite well balanced -- though a bit on the malty side, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Mouthfeel:
It's all buttery, smooth, creamy and a whole host of other thick and pleasing words. The fruitiness is brooding and palpable -- almost squishy. The carbonation itself takes on a smoothness that is uncharacteristic of it's bite and vibrance. I really felt I was drinking something substantial, and the varied textures made beautiful music in my mouth.

Drinkability:
While the alcohol is evident -- and it really starts to seep in mid sip -- I found it was really well hidden towards the end. The peak in alcoholic punch quickly softens, leaving a happy warming feel. While it's obviously not a beverage to be taken lightly, I had no problem enjoying it in bulk.

Notes:
I'm very pleased with St. Bernardus as a whole after drinking this. I've had the Christmas Ale and their Tripel, and each one was beautifully crafted. The same goes for Abt. 12. Oh, one more thing: I'm not sure if this was a fluke, but the cork was incredibly difficult to dislodge. It took a prolonged and herculean effort to pop it, but I must say that it was worth the time and effort.

On the label:
I find myself pleased by the aesthetics of the label featuring a jovial monk drinking deep from a chalice. On the back of the label it says:

Brewery St. Bernardus was founded in 1946 in Watou, Province of West Flanders in Belgium.

These exceptional quality ales are brewed by using only the finest malts, local grown hops, yeast and artesian water pumped from a depth of 500 feet.

After the brewing process these traditional ales are matured in tanks for three months before being bottle conditioned.

The result is a naturally carbonated "living ale", which can be aged for up to 15 years and will satisfy the taste of even the most discriminating connoisseurs.

"Bringing heavenly nectar within reach"

Abt. 12 - abbey ale brewed in the classic "Dubbel" style of of Belgium's best Abbey Ales. Serve this noble and wonderfully balanced brown ale at 52-56°F in a goblet glass to best enjoy its delicate bouquet.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours a mahogany like liquid caramel. High tan head that is quite creamy, lasting, and leaves lace. Moderate carbonation helps keep the head around as you drink.

S - Complex malt aroma. Sweet caramel, raisins, bananas, with a Belgian spiciness.

T - The complex aroma continues on in the mouth. Starts sweet and spicy, then it is all ripe fruit, ends with some phenols and alcohol.

M - Tingles the tongue, warms the mouth, and although you get lots of sweet fruit and malt in the taste, it finishes nice and dry.

D - It is damn near magical that they have hidden a 10% ABV (according to my bottle, not 10.5%) in this beer. It is so flavorful and balanced, the alcohol warms and tingles but is not harsh in any way. A great beer that should be sipped or it will sneak up on you quick...and it is hard to sip!

4.77/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a dark but translucent brown into my St. Bernardus glass with an initial ample head that quickly dissipates into a fine ring of foam.

Lovely nose with complex aromas of raisins and other fruit, chocolate, ginger and other spices. I am in the bakery here.

Taste is wonderful, sweet at first but finishes dry and crisp. This is one of the great Belgian beer taste sensations. Lots of complexity, with flavors of coffee, chocolate, ginger, cola, hops, pepper, and salty finish. Defies complete identification.

Mouthfeel is medium body, very creamy with good carbonation.

This is a beer I'll drink until it is clear I shuddah stopped. Addictive.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a deep beautiful brown with a fairly thick foamy head that dissipated somewhat quickly.

Aroma is quite fruity and sweet, maybe a hint of spice.

Taste is similar to the smell, this beer is very good. Nice and sweet with some nice malts and with a back note that is a bit spicy, but certainly not overpowering. I definitely wouldn't have guessed the 10.5% abv if someone had given this to me without telling me what it is.

Lightly carbonated, this is not as a heavy of a beer as the abv made me think it would be. Very enjoyable, one of the best Belgian beers I've tried.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV