St. Bernardus Abt 12 - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus Abt 12St. Bernardus Abt 12

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Abt 12 Alström Bros

One of the best.

Malt flavor and dark color. Beautiful aroma. The best belgian quad that I have ever had. tastes a little better in the 750ml cork bottle over the 11.2oz bottle. A nice winter warmer. I prefer Abt 12 over Rochfort 10 any day. I like to pair this brew with some strongly aged abby cheese. Can drink this at any time of year also.

HellsBELLS24, Jun 01, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a dark, rich, translucent brown with mild carbonation and a fluffy, creamy head that refused to subside significantly. I watched a bit of sediment settle to the bottom--was I supposed to leave that in the bottle? Oh well.

Smelled like chocolate malt mixed with champagne. Very appealing.

Tasting this beer for the first time was a memorable experience. The odors translated well to the palate, the malty chocolate flavor with the bittersweetness of champagne, along with the tartness of cherries and a dash of caramel. The champagne and malt prevailed in the aftertaste.

I tend to be heavily critical on mouthfeel - if it burns my tongue, is too heavily carbonated, or leaves a skunky aftertaste, I lay into it. But this one is very easy on the palate. Although I can definitely feel it, I can barely taste the alcohol. It doesn't burn, it doesn't fizz, and the aftertaste is a gentle malty caramel, almost like a classy version of Milk Duds.

I'm still fairly new to the Belgian beer scene, but based on what I've tried, this one reminds me of a Tripel in its champagne-like bittersweetness (I base this interpretation mainly on Westmalle's Tripel) with the added layers of malt and chocolate.

This is an unusual beer, and not one I'd drink on a daily basis, but it is definitely enjoyable and I deeply respect its balance and complexity. It's unusual for a beer with this many flavors to go down so smoothly with no one layer dominating the others.

I picked this bottle up for $4.49 for an 11.2 oz bottle, and I'd consider that a steal. I already had several of these shipped directly from Belgium without ever having tried them, and although I'm kicking myself for not realizing it was available for sale just 5 miles from my apartment, I am definitely looking forward to trying several more.

This is one of the most pleasing beers I've ever had. I'd like to face this one off against the Trappistes Rochefort 10 and see which one I truly prefer. Both are fantastic.

instrumentality, May 31, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +4%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a chalice

Poured absolutly picture perfect. looked pretty much exactly as the one in the hand of the monk drawn on the label does

a rich dark garnet, mahogany with hintgs of gold, pretty damn rich and opaque looking and topped off with a pillow creamy cloud of a head, which at first exceeded the rim of the glass, at a roughly 2 finger height but settled nicely to a thick one finger head.

Scents of dark fruit, perhaps cherry, bready malts, some nutty hints. Wine like alchohol is present in the nose

Nutty brown sugary malt flavors mix with those of cooked fruit bombard your mouth first. Finishes with some complex grain flavors and an almond aftertaste.

Starts off very bubbly then get some what chewy and doughy finishes with a small burst of cabonation very clean and dry finish

The only thing that keeps this from being a 5.0 on the drinkability scale is it's deceptivly high ABV

DaggerEyes, May 29, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle, best before 7/23/10. Pours a reddish brown with a big fizzy head that quickly dissipates.

The aroma is sweet dark fruits, fusel alcohol and some bitterness. It becomes a bit more pleasant as it warms.

The flavor is some sweet and sugary dark fruit with a lot of belly-warming strong alcohol. As it warms, more fruitiness and a slightly bitter, bready yeastiness comes out to balance the alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium with some harsh carbonation.

Overall, a bit of a disappointment. I let this sit for about 15-20 minutes before starting, but it was still a bit harsh at the beginning. As it warmed, it became much better. You can definitely tell all of this breweries' beers are related. Decent stuff, but not all that in my book.

Beaver13, May 28, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -5.6%

Sampled: 3.23.06

Appearance is a cloudy dark brown under a half inch head that fades to a lace in under a minute.

Smell is licorice, wood and raisins. I pick out tangy cider in the mostly malt ridden aroma as a whole. Complex, but mingling nicely.

The flavor is malted barley up front, deeper inspection finds dark fruits and more cider from the nose. A delicious beer. Slight alcohol adds spice to the mix, but never overpowers. The brew is of medium carbonation and sits in the mouth well.

This beer is made to savor, with its ABV and its price-to-quantity ratio considered, but can be drunken at a steady pace if you really wanted to. My advice is enjoy it slowly.

GolgiIPAratus, May 26, 2006
4.18/5  rDev -6.5%

A - Pours dark brown with a light-tan head which leaves plenty of lacing behind as it drops to a finger thick. A thin layer of head retains well throughout the drink.

S - Chocolate, juicy dark fruits, spicy alcohol, caramel.

T - The dark fruits and chocolate are upfront with some caramel and brown sugar in the middle. Spicy alcohol is ever present but really comes forward towards the end and into the aftertaste, but is never over the top.

M - Initially sharp before becoming creamy and then dry into the aftertaste. Low to medium carbonation.

D - Given the ABV this is very drinkable. An excellent beer.

haz77, May 21, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured out of the corked and caged 750ml bottle into a tulip. Poured a dark brown with a nice thick head. Wonderful head retention and lacing throughout the duration of the beer. The smell is more complex than my brain can process. I pick up many fruits (plum, cherries, banana and even apples) along with a nice malt and yeast aroma. The high ABV sneaks into the nose as well but is not overpowering. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with just the right amount of carbonation. Taste is extremely complex. Some sips I will get a delicate combination of fruit while others I will get a darker malt/chocolate taste. These tastes are followed up by a large alcohol kick. This brew gets better and better as it warms up and even more of the flavors come out. Overall, this is hands down one of the finest brews in the world.

cjgator3, May 21, 2006
4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Note: Originally listed as Westy 12 on tap. Uhh, no. Call me a drunken dope. Now under its rightful brew...

I used to be an agnostic.

Pours a dark cloudy brown, with a thinnish cream colored head that has good staying power. The aroma is dark fruitiness, sweet maly, chocolate, and alcohol - huge.

One of those beers that, after you take a sip, you put it down, take a step back, and stare at the glass. Starts off with dark fruity maltiness (sugar plums, apricots and figs) with caramel, toffee, and toast joining in, followed by a bitter-chocolatey sweetness/bitterness in perfect balance. Then the alcohol joins in. This may be the best tasting beer I've ever tried. Simply stunning. The finish is merely a continuance of the taste. The mouthfeel is like liquid velvet. You'd never guess the strength from drinking it until you've had two and realize that walking is now a bit more problematic.

I had this in bottle many years ago,and enjoyed it. On tap it is near perfection. My guess is that the monks don't care about being celibate after a few of these.

sponberg, May 18, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

I had this brew in my cellar for a few months, and after some good news I couldn't resist any longer and decided to treat myself. This was a good beer to celebrate with.
It poured into my Duvel snifter a lovely opaque medium brown with sediment on the bottom, a huge off-white, almost tan head, which had remarkable retention and left some of the most exquisite lacing I've ever seen. It was there until the end of the tasting.
The aroma was fantastic. Dark fruits, sweet fruits, malts, bread dough, yeasts, alcohol, vanilla and spice, clove, mild citrus even. It was heavenly.
The taste was just as complex as the nose. Brown sugar, bread doughs and yeasts, vanilla, clove, sweet malts, caramel, dark fruits, over-ripe sweet fruits, alcohol, rasins.
The feel was a little astringent up front with the carbonation and alcohol, but it immediately smoothes out, leaving a sweet and creamy taste lingering, finally finishing with a buttery feeling on your tongue, almost like eating a buttery vanilla caramel. I've never tasted anything like it.
This was as cose ot perfectly balanced as I've experienced. It was complex, full of subtlety and flavor. I could easily sip this all night long and then ask for another just to start the olfactory and taste jouurney all over agian; because thats what it is. It truly evolves as it warms and as you get accustomed to its nuances.
This is one of the very few that livedd up to the hype. It is excellently crafted and should be tried by any kind of beer lover.

sinistrsam, May 16, 2006
1.93/5  rDev -56.8%

I had high expectations for this beer, I mean, it is one of the most lauded Quads.

What a worthless beer! Let's break down the stats on this guys:

It looks awesome! A deep garnet with a dishwater head that just won't quite! No matter how long you let it sit, the head just won't go away. No matter how much my moustache releases oils that cause lesser heads to fail. Too bad it's all downhill from there.

It smells like curacao oranges. Why in the world would I want beer to smell like oranges?

And the taste? Nasty yeast gets into a terrible trainwreck with curacao oranges, toffee, and chocolate. Terrible.

The mouthfeel is easily the worst part of this beer. The excessive use of sugar leads to a paper thin body -- so what do they do to compensate? Equally excessive use of crystal malts. Sticky sugars mingling with thinner-than-water body. Terrible.

Drinkability? I could barely finish choking down my 8 ounces of it. I'm just glad that my girlfriend was able to take care of the rest of the 750.

Yuck!

shbobdb, May 15, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -9.4%

Good head retention thats lasting the entire beer. Tight bubbles. Smell is somewhat nutty with lots of yeast. Caramel. Taste is yeastier than other 12's. Malty flavor with hints of raisins and caramel. Alcoholic aftertaste with a brown sugar finish. Nice silky mouthfeel. Nice beer

Westsidethreat, May 15, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured from a 11.2oz. bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice.
Best before 13 10 10 on back label.

Fine looking brew, dark brown, auburn in color. Three quarter inch thick clumpy off white head forms. Excellent head retention, and tons of delicate sticky lacing. Mostly smells of malt, ripe fruits, like apples and pears, spices and just a touch of alcohol. Lots of rum soaked fruit flavors, semi sweet and tart, with a slight sourness. I guess a little of everything. Finishes a little dry, leaving a spice and alcohol twangyness on the tongue. I don't know if twangyness is a word, but thats how it feels. A very smooth sipping beer, very easy too drink. A suttle warm feeling fills the belly from the 10% abv. Overall a very enjoyable anad comes highly recommended.

BigDaddyWil, May 13, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a rich reddish brown color lightly tanned lacy head. Retention is good and seems to stick around glass till the end. The aroma is sharp with cloves and ripe fruits. Crisp yet silky body. Sugary malts and slighty ripe fruits dominate the flavor. The alcohol helps sweeting the fruit flavors a bit. Very warming at 10%. Finishes off sweet and semi dry. Awsome Abbey ale!

Luigi, May 11, 2006
4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark brown with a thick beige head that persists as a thin quarter inch layer that reemerges on swirling. Moderate lacing.

Smell: Raisins and other dark fruit, rich malts, caramel, spicy alcohol and a bit of Belgian yeast.

Taste: Like the aroma, the flavors are dominated by dark fruit and rich malts. Flavors of raisins and caramel are obvious. The finish is lightly bitter, with noticeable, but not overpowering alcoholic spice.

Mouthfeel: Tingly carbonation, smooth and medium-bodied.

Drinkability: Very tasty, the alcohol is noticeable, but not overpowering. Delicious and dangerous.

Overall: A really fantastic beer. Easily one of the best I've had.

EPICAC, May 10, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +4%

33 cL crowned bottle, "Best Before End 15 09 09" -- relatively young, I imagine. Poured into an oversized wine goblet. Densely clouded blood red with a thinning and finely attenuated light tan layer of foam. Nose is predominantly port-like, with notes of alcohol heat, maraschino cherries, and yeasted sugar candies. The highly noticeable booziness of the aroma is stunningly masked in the flavor; all I get are dark rum-soaked plums, bing cherries, and a slightly soured date sugar sweetness at the finish. Hearty yeast-flavored aftertaste. The alcohol is slightly noticeable immediately before the finish in the form of a langorous warming at the back of the throat. Mouth feel is chewy and expansive, airy and fluffy with a rapid yet subtle carbonated effect. Without a doubt, ridiculously drinkable for 10% abv. As expected, pure class in a bottle.

orfeu, May 10, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -16.6%

As soon as you pour this baby into your glass you can tell its going to be a interesting beer with it's rich dark chocolate brown coloring and it full thick head.
Cherry, yeasty, alcohol, Cloves, and Coco fill the nose.
Nice moderate carbination with a rich and creamy feel. The alcohol
does take a little bite. So I took small sips.
Taste of carmel, dryed fruits,and alittle strong in the alcohol, but it still tasted dessert like. It is a nice beer to end the evening with.
Recommended for sure.

brushpig, May 09, 2006
4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Had it a few times before....just now getting around to the review....

Looks great in the glass... Nice explosive tan head...medium bubbles....fills the glass nicely, but falls at a decent rate (should have used a wet glass, maybe...). Liquid under is clear red-copper when held to light...looks more aubunr to reddish-brown on the table.

The smell is bready-yeasty, reminds me a bit ofthe crusty brown bread my father used to bake...however, it's a bit spicier, and has some almond and grapefruit notes. Just a slight hint of banana back there somewhere, as well.

Pretty much what I expect form a well-done quad. Nice and spicy up front, slightly sour, with a deep molasses-like sweetness,then a spiciness that returns on the end. Not the most assertive flavour, but very good. There'a a nice chest-warming alcohol as it goes down.

A little oily on the tongue, and the liquid is not thick or hearty at all. Carbonation hits a second or two in, but does not get overbearing.

Were this one just a BIT more assertive, I might give it a 5 on drinkability. As it its, there are other belgians that command my attention a bit more. However, it's not bad, and I'd not turn it down.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, May 08, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -12.1%

Aroma: Belgian yeast, cloves, wet grains, a touch estery. Not all that impressed by the aroma.

Appearance: Murky brown ice tea color pour. Fades to ruby edging. A pillowy tan cap develops and the retention is simply breathtaking. Most impressive.

Flavor: Peppery, rum soaked raisins, hints of smokiness, cabarnet grapes, and a firm alcohol punch. A touch hot but seems to blend together better as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with lively carbonation. Slightly creamy at points.

Overall impression: Certainly a good beer and enjoyable enough but not sure that I would put it in the "outstanding" category. I enjoyed the Abt 8 much more. This seems a touch unbalanced with the alcohol taking too much presence. The bottle suggests aging and I'd be inclined to agree with them. Put this back a few years and I could see this as outstanding. Recommended.

mattcrill, May 07, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -17.7%

This beer pours a red brown colour an d a crude head with a lot of carbonation.
Smell was not very impressive, slightly acidic and almost like red wine. Some tannine and molasses or soy sauce? Off course the usual dark fruit like cherries and grapes, mhh... this sounds an awfull lot like red wine, I am not a fan of red wine, because of the grapes and dry mouthfeel, so does that make me prejudiced?

Taste was dry, but full, slightly acidic again the wine-like acidity and dryness. Mild and very little maltiness and hop bitterness. The alcohol really warms me up and quickly goes up to my brain, numbing it. Almost forgot to mention the most upfront tastes which are caramel and dark fruit.

I can't really say that this beer lives up too the reputation. For me it is too acidic and too strong to really enjoy the beer.

Absumaster, May 06, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

11.2 Oz. bottle marked with a 'Best Before' date of July 28, 2010. I fear this may not have had enough time to mature.

Pours chestnut brown with two fingers of tiny-bubbled foam leaving copious amounts of lace on my St. Bernardus chalice. Aroma reminds me of a concentrated version of the Pater 6...many promises of rum-soaked fruits, dates, figs, scattered alcohol esters, and that beautiful house yeast which resides at the Abbey.

Entry is perfect, with slightly addled carbonation tickling the sides of the tongue and inside of the cheeks. Midtaste features layer upon layer of rich bready malt, ripe figs, and spicy-rum soaked cherries. The finish is a wonderful mixture of St. B's yeasties, biscuity malt, and wonderful alcohol warming on the back of the throat.

Quads have never been a style to make me cross the street...but I'd crawl naked over two miles of broken glass just to get my hands on another bottle of this.

IceAce, May 04, 2006
4.45/5  rDev -0.4%

Highs: Appearance, nose, taste, mouthfeel
Lows: None

OK, I must admit this is a terribly anticipated tasting. I was not disappointed. From the 11.2 oz. bottle dated 1/27/10, pours a nearly opaque brown color that seems more caramel-like in bright light. Also evident in strong light is the suspended yeast from a pour, resuspend, and finish, though the yeast is transparent to the mouth. Topped by a one-finger brown-tan head of small bubbles that fades pretty quickly leaving a thin sheet-like head and plenty of lacing along the sides that persists until the bottom of the chalice. Odor of grapes, definitely a strong and pleasant bready yeast presence and maybe a bit of orange rind. Taste is extremely complex, a bit much to take in at once. Buttery creamy grape malt, fades to a pretty strong alcohol at the end that culminates in a slow burn into a fruity-dry finish. Mouthfeel is substantial but not creamy with heavy but gentle carbonation. The bubbles persist, slowly fading in the mouth, almost melting away. The mouthfeel is absolutely fantastic. Drinkability is good, but at 10% ABV, watch out!

Overall: A fantastic quadrupel. Well representative of the style. Enthusiastically recommended, if you can find it.

jettjon, May 04, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -18.8%

Been sitting on this bottle for a year and a half, I've had other bottles of this since then but not sure what the age will do for it. Best by 20-07-09 though.

What a beaut. In the Bernardus chalice, rich and dark with a creamy half inch head, bubbles so fine that you can't even see them individually. Reminds me of tiramisu. 2 inches of lacing drying on the sides of the glass by the time it is finished, and great retention. This Abt 12 -- so hot right now. Seriously though, you could be a model. And I'm not just saying that to get in your pants.

Smells delicious. Cloves and candy. Raisins. Some sort of cleaner product though lurks in the back, could be the alcohol ... I like how cleaner products smell though. Vanilla, yeasty. Yessir.

Taste is ... not as amazing as its been in the past. Alcohol, sadly the dominant flavor, is sharp; the sweetness isn't delicate and is in fact quite harsh. Nothing is too off, but this is not a masterpiece I expect from St. B. A slight bonus for the times it's been delicious.

Mouthfeel is big, in your face bubbles, not creamy. Maybe this fermented more in aging and powered up the alcohol and carbonation... just speculating.

I really like the brewery and this beverage. I guess I took a chance on aging it, in some subideal conditions, and it didn't work out. I'll have to do another review with a fresh bottle and note the differences. The Pater 6 and Tripel are much better, I think, and they were aged side by side for almost the same amount of time so I don't feel the bottle should be spoiled.

semihobo, Apr 30, 2006
4.35/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this beer into a big wine glass; the color was deep amber with hints of red and a big light off white head. I get alot more phenol than esters in the smell; peppery is the dominant smell with some plum in the background. The taste starts out peppery then hint of orange and plum that give way to a malt, bready type ending. The flavors are all mixed in after each sip, the peppery taste may not be first but it is there as is the fruit and malt. It is highly carbonated and has a medium mouthfeel; the carbonation seems to help mix all the flavors around. I hope I can get more of this soon

orsulacp, Apr 20, 2006
4.38/5  rDev -2%

330ml. brown glass bottle pours a dark mahogany, cloudy brown ale with an ivory inch of bubbly foam head.

Very strong, sweet malty nose with brandy-soaked fruits and alcohol reeling you in for the taste, smells potent and tasty.

Full malt flavor, sweet yet earthy, swells in your mouth with alcohol releasing warmth and more rich malt characture and fruit subtleties, only to be tamed supremely by the hops, what a concoction?! This kind of brew could only take centuries of brewing expirience, to reach a level of this caliber...bless the Belgian's for their expertise here!

Great full bodied quad to be reckoned with. Very strong, but goes down with ease...your mad if you don't try this one for sure!!!

Enjoy and be careful, this ale packs a wallop!

scottoale, Apr 20, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Wow, this is a very nice experience. It pours from the bottle a cloudy dark color. There is plenty of head. The smell is malty, fainlty of citrus, and with only hints of the alcohol content within. The taste is a nice malty slap to the palate. The after taste is nice, with just a bit of stick residue on the glossal apparatus. This is a very, very, drinkable beverage, while the high ABV content may prevent over indulgence.

BadBadger, Apr 20, 2006