St. Bernardus Prior 8 - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus Prior 8St. Bernardus Prior 8

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-27-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Prior 8 Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

3.64/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

murky dark brown in color with suspended chunks. enormous off white/tan head that recedes to an ever-present 1/8" foam. spectacular lacing. huge sweet malt aroma, i'm thinking figs and other assorted dark fruits. silky smooth in the mouth while maintaining a very lively carbonation....just amazing. big sweet malt flavor, full of dark fruit and brown sugar flavors with bready undertones. alcohol is slightly detectable. light on the hops, but a phenolic spiciness finsihes things off well. quite strong, the sweetness keeps it from being much of a session brew. still, a sheer pleasure to enjoy, extremely well crafted with more character than most. highly recommended.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Light head after pour. Foamed up nicely, but came down quickly. Amber/reddish color a little like cream soda. Initial smell is sweet fruit and a touch of alcohol

Taste is malty with a bit of bread on it. Some citrus on the back end and a little bit of hops. Well balanced with alcohol content. The beer is fairly fizzy like a warm soda-it foams just a little bit in the mouth. Not as smooth as it could be because of carbonation. I let it warm just a little bit and the carbonation dies down and a smoother flavor develops with a little sour apple with the alcohol on the finish.

Overall very enjoyable beer but I don't see myself drinking more than 2 in one evening.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One bottle purchased from 2Be, Brugge, Belgium.

.33L bottle served in a chalice

A- Cloudy, dark Amber color; thick course head that dissipated relatively quickly. Mild lacing.

S- Yeasty, earthy tones and a hint of dried fruits; fig, raisin.

T- Sweet malt; heavy yeast and touch of dried fruits and mellow tones of sour berries. Slight bitter aftertaste.

M- Full bodied, medium carbonation; very creamy on the palate.

O- This is a great beer. Has the same qualities as the Trappist ales without the noticeable alcohol despite the 8% ABV.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Apearance - Pours a cloudy mohagany with a dense 2 finger off white to tan head that has great staying power and leaves strong lacing.

Nose- Yeasty spiciness, banana, caramel, citrus bread, dark fruit and a hint at the alcohol comes through. A lot going on.

Palate- Sweet banana with caramel, clove and dark fruits. Very malt driven. Very warming, but not hot.

Mouthfeel- Slightly thinner than expected, high carbonation levels.

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into my Chimay chalice.

Poured a hazy, caramel with a small head. lots of carbonation.

Aroma was of nut, slight caramel....very malty aroma

Very malty ale. A slight spice with hints of caramel, nut...lots of malt. A tad sweet aftertaste.

A very good tasting ale. This one can creep up on ya...glad I bought a 4 pack. I'll have more tonight but keep the other 2 for later.

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

In many ways this beer was pretty much as I expected, being a Belgian Abbey Ale and having an "8" in the title, immediately made me think of the Rochefort 8, and indeed it pours a similar cloudy brown although with a more frothy head, tinged with beige. The nose was malty, with touches of cocoa. The maltiness of the nose came through again in the sweetness of the beer, although the body was on the thinner side of the Rochefort, which while not reaching the heights of those august ales is no bad thing.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

First off, as always - better men than me have already reviewed this beer - yadda yadda. I made a pilgrimage to Vintage Estates this week in high hopes of scoring some Abt 12. They were out. This is the third uber beer place that's been "out" of the 12 ever since I started my quad quest.

So that in mind, I bought an 8, with little hope of it being any good.

My bad.

Poured from a cold bottle into my Chimay goblet.

Excellent, foamy 1" head. Darker caramel color than a dubbel might suggest. Looks pretty much exactly like the illustration on the label. And let me assure you - I am at least as giddy as the good Saint looks from the taste of this beer.

I expected a little stronger version of a Chimay red or maybe even more bitter like Duvel and was pleasantly surprised with an amazingly balanced yet complex assembly of flavors here.

Very "Belgian" base, but then I start tasting some more fruit, maybe apricot, but not too sweet or cloying.

I'm afraid I could drink this all night, and gladly would.

I've had discussions about quads and when I've suggested that St. Bernardus Abt 12 is a great contender to Westy 12 (based solely on what I've read) people have scoffed at that notion. I'll say here that if their Quad is as good as their Dubbel - that scoffing may be completely erroneous.

Just a delightful, tasty as-all-get-out beer. Carbonation and 'flow' are all just right. I'm wishing I'd bought more than one, because we don't have this here.

Sigh.

Live and subsequently learn.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

The beer pours a murky auburn with thin tan head. The nose is full of red grapes, apples, raisins and dates. A well crafted dubbel like this often reminds me of a nice red wine. The flavor is a little unexpected but fantastic. I picked up green apples, dark fruits (grapes, more apples, dates). Those green apples provide a nice tart kick. There is also a great sweet malt flavor. The flavor is dry on the tongue with solid carbonation.

This is a fantastic dubble! I love all of the flavors that mingle so perfectly together, and that dry finish is fantastic.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

It pours a deep, rich mahogany color with a decent head that doesn't leave much lacing on the oversized snifter I poured it into.

The smell has some vinous notes and a little alcohol is evident. Overly ripe fruit and dark chocolate.

The taste is incredibly complex and more than expected. There is chocolate, sherry, and fruits such as plums, cherries, and pears. It gets better as it warms up a little, too. There are also notes of wood in the finish.

Mouthfeel is satisfying and the drinkability is far above average.

This is another winner from Watou. Highly reccomended.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Nice color. A bit cloudy with a resilient head.

S: This one is yeasty and sweet smelling. I pick up alcohol notes as well as some cinnamon and leathery scents.

T: Sweet and nutty. As it warms, fruity esters appear, which for me is the draw to all St. B's offerings. Sherry flavors also appear as the beer continues to warm.

MF: While the mouthfeel is nice and velvety, it is a bit thinner than I expected it would be.

D: Not my favorite of the St.B's beers so far. Pater 6 and ABT 12 come with much higher recommendations.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%