St. Bernardus Abt 12 (60th Anniversary "Special Edition") - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus Abt 12 (60th Anniversary "Special Edition")St. Bernardus Abt 12 (60th Anniversary "Special Edition")

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

From the brewer: The St.Bernardus Abt 12 is recognized as one of the best ales in the World. For the occassion of our 60th Anniversary our Brewmaster Bert Van Hecke created a unique and special variety of the St. Bernardus Abt 12. This 'Special Edition' contains hops from Poperinge: Challenger and Golding, and has been brewed with black, amber, Munich and pale ale malts. Alc. 11% Vol.

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-08-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Abt 12 (60th Anniversary "Special Edition") Alström Bros

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

A- pours a dark tawny color with a finger and a half of light ligh tan head. Great retention. Sticky lacing.

S- GIGNTIC fig aromas with raisin and plum notes. Slight toasty malt notes with a bit of blonde tabacco and and congnac. Spice chracters on the finish.

T- great bready malts with great spice characters. Fresh fig, plum and raisin. Blonde tabacco, rum cake and congnac character but incredibly more smooth. Finishes with a malt caramel and yeast dark fruit flavor.

MF- smooth coating mouthfeel with a light medium body and soft fine carbonation.

D- 100% drinkability

overall one of the best aged brews I've had. Thanks theformula for this one.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

4.83/5  rDev +10%

This bottle is about five years old, and now its supposed to be at its prime. Time for the having!

Looking good. Dark, deep woody brown, thick and hazy as far as I can tell, with a large spongy orange-taupe colored head. Dense bubbly goodness... Not much lace sticks once the head shrinks in size. Aroma is extensive. It seems to go on for exponential miles. There is a whole lot going on here. I don't know where to start. Its hard to begin picking out all the individual scents and flavors because of how they all come together so well. Mmmmm. Everything about this is smooth, bright, malty, velvety, and sweet. Its candy-like, but far from cloying. Full body with a fluffy, satiny, medium feel. The alcohol fits in perfectly with the rest of it, and this certainly does not feel like 11%.

This beer is awesome. If only there were more.

4.6/5  rDev +4.8%

Best Before: 02/05/11 Well...close enough.

Pours a dark garnet color under a thick slab of a head that gradually settles to a creamy covering. Mellow, smoothed-out aroma that initially springs from the glass when pouring, but seems to become much more subtle soon after. Dried fruits like fig and raisin, brown sugar, light toffee, and even a bit of banana bread. Delicious flavors of sweet bread, raisins, caramel, mild spicy phenols. Very, very tasty. Light molasses and really only the slightest hint of age, which is surprising. Some near chocolaty roastiness enters at it warms complemented by a berry-like tartness. So deep and complex, but it all comes together perfectly as one super-smooth awesome beverage. No alcohol save for the warmth in my throat. Creamy and just drying enough to beckon another sip but...must...resist...drinking too fast. This is a luxurious treat! Looks like I need to lay down a couple Abt 12s and hope that they age as well as this. I'm a little sad that I'll probably never have this again...

4.6/5  rDev +4.8%

Shout out to HimerMan for cellaring this so well and offering me 3 bottles in trade. Bottled in 2006, comes in a nice navy tin Special edition package/tube. The guy that I got this from said the actual beer probably has never see the light of day since it was bottled. Back of the bottle/container if came in has a nice description is in Dutch as well; wonder what it says... Crazy, anyway...
Aromas begin with a ton of dark fruit mainly huge raisin and fig smells. When I re-smell I get some nice Belgian yeast esters, banana and a little spice/clove. As it warms I get a little more toffee sweet maltiness and the faintest hint of booze. Really nice; overall kinda like rum soaked dark banana bread.
The tastes begin with really nice caramelized brown sugar and toffee maltiness. Next I get the prune, raisins and fig dark fruitiness I was getting on the nose. As it warms the yeast flavors really come out in full force with a fairly large spice/clove and a much lesser banana flavor which lingers a little on the palate. Wow, this has aged to perfection.
Zero, I repeat, ZERO alcohol taste/flavors; this drinks like a 7-8% Dubbel not a 11% Quad. Ridiculous.
The mouthfeel is full and yet carbonated quite nicely from the Belgian yeast. Really really great. The finish is a bit stickier and less dry then I usually expect/prefer in my Belgian ales, but maybe that's the age/maybe it was always like this. I honestly don't care it's great.
Overall, wow if you have this beer drink it, it can't get any better. If you are a fan of the original 12, you should really try to track this down because it is honestly better. I used to think original 12 was the best Quad I ever had but I can say I like this more. I have had this 3x and have had my mind blown on 3 separate occasions; this stuff is freakin' epic!!! I just got a Westy 12 to compare but damn this is going to be hard to beat.

4.88/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Dark reddish brown with a frothy head.

S: Dark fruits, brown sugar, & raisins

T: Brown sugar, dark fruits, bread, simply outstanding!

M: Perfect carbonation, nice full bodied.

D: For a high ABV, this drinks very nicely!

O: An amazing beer that has held up well. Glad I have a couple more bottles. This was one of the first beers that made me say "Wow!" If you have the opportunity to try one of these do not pass it up!! Great beer!

4.95/5  rDev +12.8%

750 ml bottle poured into mini snifter. Beige head, quickly extinguishing. Aroma dominated by dates and figs. Also prominent is the "aroma of age", which I would describe as brandy or port. Captivating. Taste of molasses, brown sugar, candy sugar, fig and port. No alcohol present. Zero, zip. Amazing. Way too easy to drink, dangerously so. If you ever see this anywhere, buy it....no matter the cost.

4.55/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: This poured a cloudy dark mahogany with fluffy light tan head and some sediment.
S: It smelled like super sweet and rich brown sugar and toffee and powdered sugar, with some banana bread and Belgian yeast.
T: It tasted like sweet brown sugar and earthy milk chocolate and powdered sugar and toffee and banana bread, with some Belgian yeast and dry spices. It had a sweet and spicy aftertaste with lingering deliciousness.
M: It was thick with smooth natural carbonation. Nearly perfect.
D: I had this back to back with a bottle of 2010 Abt 12, and this was far superior. An fantastic brew with great balance and delicate complex flavors. Amazing body too, with well hidden alcohol, so super easy to drink. But this is one that should clearly be sipped. After 5 years, this might as well still be fresh, so it could clearly keep maturing in the cellar for another decade or two. Simply a wonderful beer.

4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Deep dark brown with a slight tint of maroon. Thick, puffy head. Lacing unlike most beers I have ever seen.

S: Yeast; figs, deep dark fruits, alcohol hints as well.

T: upfront is the malt sweetness and fig/dark fruitiness. The phenols and alcohol kick hits you from here until the end, with a slight hop bitterness. This bitterness is one of the main
differences I noticed right away when comparing to the regular Abt 12.

M: Full-bodied and on the light side of medium carbonation. Smooth!

D: So smooth and tasty it is easy to drink a few of these! I wish this was not retired.

Notes: Taken from notes in June of 2007. 750 ml bottle purchased at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by Huhzubendah - a Zealot of Beer in The Halls of Beerdom. Beerdom looks a lot like boredom. Just saying, I was too poor to buy this while it was on shelves in FL, and regretted it for a long time. This quad rivals almost all other quads out there. I still love Westys and also Struise, this is a great great beer. I can't wait for their 70th anniversary.

Beer is brown and hazy with a decent head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate.

Bready and estery aroma with a variety of fruits and malt sweetness in there as well. Smells great.

Beer is medium to light in body with an effervescent palate. The beer leads off with some candy sweetness and the midpalate is dominated by the yeast and the esters and the finish is clean and not dry without an aftertaste. Its really drinkable and the mouthfeel is great. I really enjoyed this beer.

St. Bernardus ABT12 is a solid beer and this one is even better. Who knew?

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

I popped a bottle of this and shared it with Matt and his wife tonight.

A: Hazelnut brown with a gigantic tan head that leaves plentiful lacing.

S: Incredibly wonderful scents of Belgian yeast, dark fruits.

T: Again - wonderful. This is a world class quadrupel. A notch above the standard Abt 12. The yeast character/flavor is just outstanding.

M: Coats the palate and leaves a long lingering yeast aftertaste.

D: Second only to Westvleteren 12 as the best Belgian quad I have ever tasted.

4.13/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a semi-hazy, chestnut/mahogany with a half inch, frothy, loose, cream-colored head that dissipates into a skim and slick. Nose is sweet - dark fruit, grapes, bubblegum and a feint, chemical smell. Taste follows nose, with the chemical character fading and a significant yeast presence expressing itself from start to finish. Mouthfeel is medium-light, with some acidity and a carbonation level that falls just shy of lively. I had the opportunity to try this beer when it was first released, and I have to say that the beer has matured nicely. Unfortunately, I didn't pick up any additional bottles to cellar - big mistake. I think this beer will continue to improve with age.

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to Azurelimits for giving me this bottle as a birthday present.

Pours a nice brown-mahogany color with a good creamy head. Nose brings some dark fruits, fig, dates, caramel, and a bit of booze. Taste is quite good with some dark fruits, caramel, alcohol, and brown sugar. Nice, creamy mouthfeel with low levels of carbonation. Drinks quite well. This has aged nicely.

4.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Got a bunch of these bottles a couple years ago. Been drinking one every once in a while. It's 4 years old now and drinking amazing.

Pours a dark hazel brown with a decent head that dissapated to a nice thin layer. Decent lacing.

Aroma of Belgian candy sugar and Belgian yeast. Figs and rasins and brown sugar are also aromas.

Tastes exactly as it smells. It's drinking so smooth right now. Lots of brown sugar and dark fruits.

Mouthfeel is awesome. Perfect carb and soo smooth.

Overall this is drinking amazing right now so if you have one pop it open. I have a couple more left so I can open them a little later. I'll report back here.

4.95/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance - This is a deep, inviting dark brown in color with an easy head that left some really nice lacing on the inside of my St B chalice.

Smell - This nose is amazingly complex. I'm sure I won't do it justice but I'll give it a go anyway.

The fruits jumped out first so I'll start there. The aroma of fresh dates is so exact that I can almost taste them in my mouth. If you've only had those dates you get at the grocery store in the sealed plastic bags then you don't know what I'm talking about, but fresh dates are loaded with sugar so much so that I use them to make ice cream sauce. This is that smell exactly.

I also get some nice figs, raisins, and mild chewing tobacco. On top of this I sense some wonderful cane sugar and the smallest sense of anise. The spicing is certainly clove with maybe a dash of cinnamon.

The malts have been weathered by the cellaring but they are lightly-toasted and rich with caramel. There are some huge bready notes as well that remind me of a Dunkel Weizen.

Taste - The sugars from the nose explode at the taste and the malt comes through nicely which tells me I didn't over-age this bad boy. They are definitely on the downswing though.

The toastiness is still present and the sugars still carry a good amount of structure. The dark fruits in particular show no signs of waning. There's a candied sweetness that I missed at the nose that lingers forever in the mouth like a long, passionate kiss. I will remember this like my first love.

Mouthfeel - This is full-bodied for sure with some wonderful carbonation that provides an excellent texture to this fine Belgian Ale. The structured sweetness of this ale just makes the salivary glands go crazy. I find myself literally drooling with each sip.

Drinkability - I don't know how this tasted fresh but here after four years in the cellar this is perfect in just about every way. The sugars and fruits just do not quit and the feel in the cheeks is like magic. I would almost swear on a stack of Bibles that this beer isn't 10% ABV. It doesn'feel like it has a drop of alcohol in it. This is an absolute masterpiece.

Note: I bought this in 2006 and cellared it for four years. This seems to be the sweet spot for this ale. Although it will probably cellar well for another two years I would advise drinking now or within the next six months.

4.18/5  rDev -4.8%

Consumed on 9/25/10, after about 3 years in the cellar, I'm guessing.

A: Caged and corked -- took some work to get that cork off. Poured into a Chimay chalice. Body is clear, dark amber with mahogany highlights when backlit. One-finger light tan head settles on top. Plenty of visible carbonation. Some lace.

S: First impression: fruity. Berries and black cherries come to mind, as well as some dark fruits (figs, I think). Waft of alcohol at the finish.

T: Follows the nose - strong on black cherries, with some dark fruit and dark bread underneath it (think brown bread with some sort of dark-fruity jam). At the finish I get a slight bit of oxidation -- not an overwhelming amount that ruins the beer, but I do get a slightly "stale" sense at the finish (after a few sips it's not so noticeable, however). Finishes with a waft of drying alcohol, and heat from the ABV is felt in the belly. Not really noticed on the palate, however.

M: Classic Belgian in feel - fizzy, fine carbonation that creates a good feel of creaminess. Nice carbonation keeps coming throughout. Heft is about medium - a tad bit lighter than I think I want in a Quad, which is why I bumped the score here back down to a 4.5 (at first I gave it a 5).

D: Good. At 11% you need to go slow, but given the taste and feel, you want to go faster.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 (60th Anniversary "Special Edition") from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV