Christmas Ale - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Christmas AleChristmas Ale

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 10-23-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Christmas Ale Alström Bros

This is the perfect Belgian Ale. The 10% ABV creeps up slowly. It is so perfectly balanced with intense caramel and spiced sweet apple, dark fruits, vanilla and notes of banana esters with a lingering tartness similar to a freshly baked apple pie. My concept of perfection, sweet fruitiness, caramelized burnt sugar, and cinnamon spice with no hoppy bitterness to spoil the experience. On my death bed I want a bottle of St. Bernardus Christmas Ale. Then at my wake I want everyone to drink St Bernardus Christmas Ale until they pass out to remember me by. Beer Advocate is a great place to learn about beer, but they should allow pictures of beer poured into a glass which is way more important than the appearance of the bottle.

wattoclone, Sep 12, 2012

First thing I must say about this beer is that is was overwhelmingly carbonated. Normally, carbonation isn't the first thing I notice about a beer, but tasting this is just pops off your tongue. It's almost like eating pop rock and a can of cola. I don't want that to come off as a bad thing because it wasn't, it was a very enjoyable beer, possibly one of the best I've ever had. Pours a dark brown decievingly so as you'd expect a belgiany golden color. Also decving is the slight amount of head on the pour which is in no way indicative of the bursting flavor you are going to have jumping around in your mouth. Molasses, apricots and licorice can be found upon hitting the palate. 10% ABV.

This is my interpretation of a perfect Christmas Ale.

Ryanm1, Jan 04, 2013

WillyMac, Nov 21, 2011

dgeebs07, Nov 22, 2012

brewbaker, Jan 04, 2012

dvanhandel, Jan 01, 2014

I was recently in my favorite establishment in Rochester, NY which happens to have over 130 taps. To say they have a great selection would be an understatement.

I came upon St. Bernardus Christmas Ale quite by accident. I had requested a second of my usual amber beer from a well known German brewery that is quite good in its' own right, and for whatever reason the bartender provided me St. Bernardus Christmas Ale.

While it was a bit of a change from my usual beer of choice, I must admit that I was quite surprised by it's appearance, smell, taste mouthfeel and overall quality as my ranking of 5 indicates.

It was as if I walked into my favorite establishment and was swept off my feet by the most beautiful, intelligent, personable woman I had ever met. It was one heck of an experience.

It is important that I mention that this particular ale has an ABV of 10, so I would caution anyone to be very judicious when imbibing this great brew to either be home or have a designated driver. Cheers!

Scooter51, Feb 16, 2013

bigtunk, Feb 27, 2014

I deeply enjoy the ABT12, however I just purchased a few 11.2 oz bottles of this Christmas Ale. For me this is nearly the best ale I have tried. I prefer a sweeter ale with less hops and this is it.

bcholka1, Saturday at 07:00 PM