2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

St. Bernardus Tripel - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus TripelSt. Bernardus Tripel

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Ratings: 2,293 | Reviews: 1,166 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by instrumentality:
instrumentality

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the third chapter in my St. Bernardus exploration. I'm not a big Tripel fan (I prefer quadrupels and, to a lesser extent, dubbels), but I will attempt to judge to style, and hopefully I'll be presently surprised.

My gradually evolving method of reviewing is generally to observe my beer when it comes out of the bottle, write down my observations while it breathes for 5 or 10 minutes or so, and then do the majority of my writing during the first several sips. Then I let it sit and warm up for a bit longer and if anything significant changes, I'll make a note of that as well. I've noticed that a lot of beers didn't really do it for me straight out of the wine cooler (even though I try to keep them at around 50 degrees), but as they warm, it becomes a whole new experience.

We'll see how it goes...

I used my trusty Stone RIS tulip glass for this; my receptable of choice of late.

This one poured a cloudy gold to copper. I think I got a little too excited when pouring it, because I noticed the liquid was thicker and darker at the end, no doubt caused by sediment escaping the bottle. However, it's so murky in there that it's hard to tell. The head filled nearly half the glass, a beautiful, white fluffy masterpiece. By the time I wrote the first paragraph of this review, however, that head had settled to mere lace, with scattered bits of froth clinging to the sides all the way up to the lip.

A little swirl and sniff and...phenols. The first thought that came to my mind was "band aids." Another sniff and I picked up some fruity sweetness, some pepper, maybe a hint of sour citrus, and the slightest suggestion of pine.

First sip: noticeable alcohol burning to start, then a sweet tangerine flavor, then maltiness, and a mostly clean finish that's mildly sweet and a bit peppery and resiny.

These qualities remained constant through the next several sips.

After giving my palate a breather, I took in a small sip and let it roll around on my tongue. I could feel my entire mouth pulsating from the burn of the alcohol combined with the carbonation, but once this subsided, the most noticeable new effect was a sweet carob-like coating penetrating the tip of my tongue.

I'd say this fits the site's description of the style, and vs. other Tripels I've tried, it's more complex than the normal crisp, bubbly, champagny kind of sensation I've gotten in the past. However, I'm not all that fond of it, primarily because the alcohol stands out too much and subdues what appear to be some tasty flavors underneath.

Of course, the same thing has happened to me before with the Abt., which, at its best, is one of my all-time favorite beers, so the Tripel definitely deserves another shot, probably after a little bit of hibernation.

08-11-2006 01:51:58 | More by instrumentality
KrittyKratz

04-20-2014 01:37:50 | More by KrittyKratz
CalgaryFMC

Alberta (Canada)

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured a bottle obtained from a St. Bernardus mixed pack (I wish more Belgian breweries did this) into a goblet. A live pour, although dropping the bottle on the floor first probably didn't help matters, with a ton of white froth that settled out to a more reasonable level. The beer itself presents as a cloudy honey yellow, with an aroma of shortbread, medicinal honey, apples, pears, woody/spicy Belgian yeast a plenty. The taste was more assertive than the smell, with an unusual and interesting butterscotch chip backbone, vanilla brownie, some grape-like lager character, tobacco, candied citrus rind, rosewater, a sweetish nuttiness, and sour green fruit all revealing themselves in a bit of a hodgepodge. Resembles its stablemate Watou Tripel in being on the sweet side for the style, although this one does have more heft in terms of both aromatic alcohol presence and a richer malt character. A touch thicker than other tripels and less fizzy as well. Nevertheless finishes on the dry side despite the initial sweetness, producing a tannic puckering effect on the mouth and thrusting some woody and gooseberry-like hops out there near the end. I like to compare my tasting notes to those of Micheal Jackson whenever possible, both as a reality check and a form of hero worship. In Great Beers of Belgium, he's got this one down as "vanilla, cookies, and sesame seeds, with a tangerine-like finish". I guess I did alright.

04-19-2014 18:48:34 | More by CalgaryFMC

04-16-2014 19:31:04 | More by ramrod666
TrappistDev

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Amazing dark golden color. Poured yeast into the bottle along with the beer. It has a dark, golden, almost amber hue which is clouded by yeast. Excellent lacing, and creamy head that lasted a good while.

S: Not the best smelling tripel, and not many characteristics here. Faint hints of esters from the Belgian yeast, and slight cherries. Sweet fruity aroma.

T: Up front very malty sweet, with a little boozy aftertaste. The ABV is very well hidden by the sweetness, and there are some sweet fruits on the back end. Some raisens, and possibly some brown sugar flavor as well.

M: VERY creamy. This is the thickest tripel I've had. It almost feels like sweet cream with the sweetness of the beer and the creamy head (no homo).

O: A very good tripel, although not the best. I prefer a Westmalle or Rochefort over this due to the mouth feel, but that's extremely subjective on my part. Overall a good example of a tripel.

04-16-2014 01:05:41 | More by TrappistDev

04-13-2014 18:41:07 | More by errrnify
dank203

4.21/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

very drinkable tripel. lot of flavor and a mellow 8 percent. good amt of citrus, grape, apple flavors. lot of carbonation and mellow spicy yeast notes. all melded together perfectly, very elegant drink. not a very harsh tripel at all, while still being complex and interesting

04-12-2014 23:49:04 | More by dank203