2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

St. Bernardus Tripel - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus TripelSt. Bernardus Tripel

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Tripel Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,302 | Reviews: 1,166 | Show All Ratings:
AaronRed

Expensive, but the best tripel I have ever had. I could not find any flaws. An explosion of flavor, yet comfortable and not overwhelming

09-18-2001 17:22:15 | More by AaronRed
putnam

Drinking this beer is like opening a container filled with ripe bananas, pineapples and gingerbead. It is soft and creamy. With repetition, it begins to clamp down. Austere elements reminiscent of black pepper, pine cones and metal shavings begin to offset the sweetness, until, finally, you think there is no sweetness in the beer at all....It's there all right, and the viscous, molten texture indicates that fact the best. No matter whether at the beginning or end...

There has never been brewed a beer better than this one.
It is the DRC Le Montrachet of beer.
I feel as if I've been ushered into another, much more advanced aesthetic paradigm. Why are there candied pineapple and honeydew melon aromas next to savory capsicum (esp. habanero) notes? Why do they work so well together? Vanilla. Why is there cocoa flavor in a blonde-colored ale?
It's as if this brewer, not satisfied with brewing the best brown beers available to humanity, decided one day to eliminate the obscuring color and thereby reveal the inner workings of the yeast politics inside the liquid. Like the giant clock in Prague, which would be impressive enough with a face, with the face removed, it's mind-boggling.

11-28-2003 21:13:58 | More by putnam
dmarch

I must have been crazy when I first reviewed this. 4.9? What was I thinking. This is straight 5's. Hey when a beer is this good, that 0.1 means a lot. This is the beer I think of when someone mentions the word tripel. Deep golden color with a long-lasting white head that leaves a nice lace along the glass. Aroma is spicy and of tropical fruit. Taste is of apricots and pineapple and a little clove. Outstanding tripel. The abt 12 seems to get a lot of attention, but I feel that this is the St. Bernardus beer that everyone must try.

11-30-2003 23:05:44 | More by dmarch
tavernjef

2001 bottle (from what I can guess from the notches on the smiling monk label) - Gorgeously thick and clouded dull orangey-yellow color that you cannot see through what so ever; very syrupy thick body with a very tall off-white, meringue-like, speckled froth that sits on top for a good while before finally settling to a healthy murk of a skim on top that keeps its hold mounting on top for a good time. Great lacing in thickly sticking foamy strings.

Lovely aroma of well rounded deep fruityness bringing in super dulled citrus(citrus without the sour citrus) of orange and lemon, some passion fruit, banana, dried apricots, and pineapple notes intermingle. Way yummy and candy-licious! Very soft musty, yeasty spices barely make an appearance, which I like, most Belgian Triples seem to have way too much of that plastic/phenol yeast thing that doesn't bold well with me. This is soft and subtle, fruity and candy-like, more to my liking. Not overly strong but oh so yummy to wiff in. Great subtle fruits and softness to its nose! Tropical fruit salad any one?

Oh my...and the taste follows suit from the smell. Huh? Wow! This is yummy! The tropical fruityness is fabulous to my tastes; soft, full, bold, yet biting, all that was noted in the smell comes across in the tastes. Great fruits of dulled down orange and lemon with some pineapple and banana. Super fine creamyness and fullness. Mild as all hell yeast and spice just barely make an entrance peeking even more interest within the flavors. Maintains a strangely interesting finish of chocolate and caramel malty thickness which covers over the fruits later on, quite amazing! Far and away one of the best Triples I've enjoyed! Thick, lush, flavorful in fruits and candy action! Yum, yum, yum, this stuff rocks! I haven't had many Triples cuz most I've had I didn't like, but this St. Bernardus is mind boggling yummy!

04-04-2004 02:50:39 | More by tavernjef
MiScusi

A: Poured into a St. Bernardus chalice. A hazy gold, white light but well formed head, didn't leave just lace, left a layer of foam that gripped the walls of the glass.

S: Can't imagine a better balance of Belgian yeastiness, earthiness, and a little sweetness.

T: Just like the smell. This tripel was so flavorful yet not overdone it was ridiculous.

M/D. The alcohol didn't make it too slick, but it had a nice medium-light mouthfeel

This is a beer I could drink and drink forever. So interesting yet it's easy to quaff.

10-18-2007 13:55:31 | More by MiScusi
diamondc

This beer is alive! Right when I popped the cork, foam creeped out, waiting to be poured and consumed. I'm half way through the bottle and its a given. St. Bernardus Tripel displaces Lindemans Cuvee Rene Gueuze as my favorite beer of all time.

Aromas is full of strawberries, banana, kiwi, gingerbread, honeydew and spring flowers notes. Incredible.

Candied dried fruits (especially pineapple), freshly picked spring flowers, nutmeg, milk chocolate flavors (how did they do that without using roasted malts?) with just the right amount of spicy, bitter hops to perfectly balance the sweetness on the tongue. This is Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory in a bottle. The 8% abv is undetectable. This shit drinks like water. Fucking beautiful.

This is the greatest beverage ever created (okay, I *still* haven't tried Westvleteren 12). It's good to be alive in a time where for $13 one can experience true happiness.

Buy or just die.

03-22-2011 10:06:01 | More by diamondc
pkalix

beautiful, sunshine-y golden haze with a fluid, creamy topping of beaten egg yolk-white froth on top. nectar, indeed!
smells of fruits and belgium beer!
taste... i cant taste it yet. i continue to admire the beauty in the Duvel tulip glass (yeah, i know...). it doesnt even lace as i tilt the glass. it bounds fluidly side to side.... that is nice.... i can never express my tastes in the types of malts used etc but i know what i like. and this is sweet. and it is sweet, too! but it's got a nice full, rounded taste. not too heavy. not too fruity (as belgiums can sometimes go), and the head continues, still, on top. i must say, with this experience right now, this has to be my current all time favorite brew. this is exciting. i've heard this is comparable (and supposedly earlier brewed by the same) to the westvleteren which i balked at and missed out on. well, at least the 8. the brick had the 11%, right? i had considered the chimay blue one of my favorites, and for commercial-ity duvel is a stand out; but although i've had this before, my taste buds are literally screaming right now! glad i got the big bottle! i understand 5's should be rare, but today, right now, this is a straight across the board 5. something the hobbits would brew...

01-12-2013 00:22:59 | More by pkalix
brouwer

Montana

4.98/5  rDev +17.5%

Recently bought a four pack of 11.5 ounce bottles. Poured into a trumpet glass. Very generous head with lacing and an abundant aroma. The mouthfeel is wonderfully fresh carbonation and a sweet aftertaste. I find this a great example of a tripel. I would recommend this to anyone with the desire to experience a great example of a tripel.

07-29-2012 21:16:25 | More by brouwer
JimTeal

Nevada

4.98/5  rDev +17.5%

I must come clean up front, I love St Bernardus beers, and shockingly this beer out of the bottle is darn near as good as draft in Bruge. I purchased a 4 pack at Total Wine (glad to see they are beginning to carry good variety of bottled 4 packs of Belgians) and this Tripel is excellent. The pour is delightful, not overly carbonated, really an almost perfect head. The golden haze is classic for a really good tripel. The initial taste is neither sweet nor too dry, just right, without the lemony aftertaste of most Belgian blondes which have their own category. The smell is as good as it gets for tripels, great balance, hint of banana/caramel, but really a clean and fine flavorful beer and the moderate alcohol makes this Tripel worth a try. I plan to enjoy this particular brew many times in the future, especially now that I don't have to buy the 22 oz expensive model every time. I am occasionally torn about the overall price of Belgian beer and I will be glad when our stateside brewers catch up, which they will. Unfortunately we are a bit short on monks supplying out of the back monastery entrance, but our micros more than hold their own. The St Bernardus range of beers is wonderfully thought out and each has a reason, taste and character for it's existence. So I am happy to include this with their Abt 12/8/6 and Wit.

11-13-2012 23:01:39 | More by JimTeal
hyuga

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

An golden/orange-yellow hued haze of a liquid with a very nice white head that stays quite well without any help. Amazing aroma! In-your-face sweet and spicy with a doughy yeast background. Banana esters, juicy strawberries, and am I crazy, or do I detect some mango in there as well? Slight spicy alcohol tones as well. Great complexity. And now into my mouth it goes... The first thought that hits me with this beer is the amazingly thick and chewy mouthfeel. Not many beers have this, and for me, it's a highly sought-after quality. Like the aroma, very sweet doughy flavor from the yeast and malt, like a mix between cookie and bread dough. This is perfect with the mouthfeel the way it is. Clove shows up in the spice department, a welcome addition to the other flavors. There is a bit of fruitiness, mostly banana, but it's much more subdued than in the nose. Hop bitterness plays a slight role, balancing everything out well. Alcohol warms all the way through. More targeted hop bitterness in the finish. Overall, a wonderful, wonderful beer. This one goes on the "must buy in massive quantities" list. My favorite tripel, even above Unibroue 10 and New Belgium's "Trippel".

01-28-2003 02:54:54 | More by hyuga
KarlHungus

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

This brew pours a semi-cloudy orange color with a nice white head. The aroma is strong. Orange peel, and spices. The taste fantastic. Fruity and juicy with spicy undertones. The mouthfeel is juicy and well carbonated. Overall, this is a great brew. Very refreshing.

09-15-2005 02:38:57 | More by KarlHungus
MAB

Alberta (Canada)

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

The only thing I was disappointed with was the label, which is kind of corny and cartoon-y. The beer transcends the label though, which is a good rule to remember: Just because the label looks bad (or good) that doesn't mean that the beer inside will also be bad (or good).

This Belgian trippel, to me, is exactly what I would expect and demand of the style. The pale color and thinner but longlasting head makes it look beautiful in a glass. It is not as highly carbonated as many other Belgians I've tried, and that is fine with me. It feels wonderful in your mouth and even better going down the throat.
It isn't particularly aromatic, with hops at least, although there is a nice malty sweetness that comes off of it.
I find it tastes a bit on the sweet side which means I like it just fine, thank-you, yet it is still very complex in flavoring. As it warms you can start to pick out more spicy notes and citrus (?) flavors.

If you like Belgian beers then a four pack won't be enough...

11-01-2005 23:53:53 | More by MAB
nortmand

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Orange, slightly cloudy pour with a huge white head that leaves alot of nice, intricate lace.

Perfumy flowery smells intermingle with some nice ripe plum notes.

Semi-dry tasting up front, this soon gives way to an underlying sweetness. Throughout there are flavors of lavender, tree ripened peaches and cheddar. Ends with the subtlest hint of alcohol, just so you know you aren't drinking a light beer.

Mouthfeel is dominated by that awesome Belgian "overcarbonation" wonderfulness that leaves the tongue tingling. Very drinkable, if only it weren't for the price tag. Such is life.

09-25-2006 21:52:26 | More by nortmand
beertunes

Washington

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured gently into chalice. A cloudy pour with less than 1 finger of head (this is how I prefer it, more head would have been easily obtained). A light amber/dark yellow color. Very attractive with nice lacing. Very pleasant, welcoming aroma. The taste is pleasantly bold, without being overpowering. As you work through the glass, the fruit flavors become more apparent. Full, enveloping mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable, you could settle in with nice assortment of meats and cheeses and drink several of these very easily.

12-13-2008 01:49:24 | More by beertunes
atlasproaudio

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

What a great tripel. I think St Bernardus is one of the best breweries of the classic trappist style, even though they are no longer actually a Trappist beer.

The balance of this beer was excellent. Big, fruity and yeasty all in very good senses of those words. As expected from the style, low IBUs. I can't say enough good things about this beer, I need to get a keg of it.

My only gripe was that the head size and head retention was over the top. I had to pour it in two seperate well oversized glasses (and this was carefully pouring down the side of the glass) and wait close to 10 minutes for it to settle. No big deal, and perhaps necessary to the style.

Note this was from the 750ml bottle, have not tried the 11.2 oz.

05-08-2011 03:01:13 | More by atlasproaudio
freneticamnesic

Netherlands

4.96/5  rDev +17%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Bronzy gold, thick head, plenty of lacing

S - Spices, yeast, and citrus

T - Everything in the aroma comes back, plus honey and roast malts,some nutty flavours, and floral hops

M - medium bodied, lots of carbonation

O - Very very impressive. Definitely up in my favourite tripels: loving the complexity that goes into this beer without completely warping it away from the 'classic' tripel feel.

06-25-2013 15:55:50 | More by freneticamnesic
asabreed

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

One of the best tripels out there for sure, and I know it as I keep drinking. Seek it out.

Appearance: Not as much lacing as I would've wanted. And the head isn't as huge and foamy as I wanted, but the head still tops it off as I drink it, and there's at least enough of the white head to cover it without dissipation. Maybe it's my glass, and I'll review this again, but appearance is hurting it a bit.

Smell: Wonderful. Cloves, cream, banana, pepper, cirtus zest, spice. The cream aspect seems to be extremely high for tripel, and it adds much to the aroma.

Taste: As with many tripels, banana comes through (at least for me) mostly. Some lemon or lemon grass, slight cream (though there's more in the aroma). The spice does nothing but enhance all the flavors, and is perfect. Pretty incredible for sure. The aftertaste is amazing, yeasty, full, creamy, and coating. Oh, and the slightest amount of hops is present with the aftertaste also.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation explosion at the very first, but it soon turns very creamy and full, though medium-bodied. Fantastic.

Drinkability: Not an insane amount of alcohol, and insanely drinkable without being cloying or too much in anyway.

I only have 3 bottles left from my 4-pack. Now it seems I need a case, though that probably won't happen. Pick this up if you can find it.

09-20-2005 01:39:14 | More by asabreed
gotbeer

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

This one pours a darker shade of your typical Triple. Nice white head. The smell is outstanding. Tropical fruits, and a hint of alcohol.

The taste is also outstanding. There are tropical fruit flavors, lemon, apricots, and an incredible bready malt balance with some herbal spice to finish things off. Complex would be understating it.

The mouthfeel has an adequate amount of carbonation, and feels light for this ABV. The drinkability is only limited by how much I can get my hands on.

This is by far my favorite Belgian Triple. Superior in almost every way. If I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life- this one would be solid possibility. Incredible stuff.

08-06-2006 01:33:18 | More by gotbeer
cyrenaica

Ontario (Canada)

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

I tried this beer on August 10, 2007 at The Esplanade Biermarket in Toronto. The beer was a cloudy brown in colour with a short lasting off-white head. The aroma was very yeasty with some spicy tinges in the background. The mouthfeel was medium bodied with a fair amount of carbonation while the flavour was full of yeast and wet bread. Another damn fine product from St. Bernardus!

08-11-2007 02:16:30 | More by cyrenaica
marburg

4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

Memories of this beer's greatness sucked me in while I was shopping for Thanksgiving brews at Putnam's shop. I ... just ... couldn't ... stop ... myself.

Ripening banana colors -- shifts from yellowish to off-brown. A little hazy. Big poofy styrafoam head spouts off a laundry list of aromatic delights: banana, dried orange peel, tropical fruit, yeast, pepper, sweet bread...

Sugary malt sweetness is heavily interwoven with a potent alcohol kick and all sorts of subtlties -- pineapple, cookies, banana, oak. Disturbingly light feeling as it goes down -- very easy to drink -- despite its almost creamy presence rolling around on the tongue. Shazam!

12-03-2003 17:46:30 | More by marburg
santoslhalper

4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearence: Pours a brilliant gold with a nice, thin white head. Tiny yeast particles float everywhere.

Smell: The smell of this beer is spectacular. I can't get over how the grain smell mixes with the fruityness. It's such a perfect combination.

Taste and Mouthfeel: I have to say this is without a doubt the best tasting tripel I've ever had. Smooth, sweet, creamy, fruity, malty, and so much more. The taste is so wonderful and complex yet perfectly balanced. Everything about the taste of this beer is perfect. One of the best beers I've tasted to date. The mouthfeel is full, creamy, and incredibly inviting.

Drinkability and Overall: About as close to Tripel perfection as a beer can get. My first true Belgian Tripel and I'm blown away. I can't say enough about this beer. It's so rich and flavorful, yet so smooth a easily drank. I will be getting more of this very, very soon.

01-31-2005 04:01:56 | More by santoslhalper
benmiliron

4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

From the 4 bottle & glass gift pack. Hazy autumn light brown, bit of gold. Smell is divine, sweet fruit, heavy malt, fancy belgian wheat, hint of orange. Taste is divine. What a beer should be. Spice, orange, sticky malt, caramel. Spice and alcohol both heavy but blend very well. Velvety texture with a microscopic bubble.

A lovely beer, highly recommended.

12-23-2005 20:31:08 | More by benmiliron
atsprings

4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a hazy straw yellow with an abundant head that is lasting and leaves spotty lacing on the glass. The aroma is a very strong blend of sweet fruits, spice, yeast and some earthy hops. The taste is a great balance of sweet malts, spice and earthy hops with an appropriate yeast bite. The beer is medium bodied and crisp with warming alcohol. This is an immensely enjoyable Tripel.

05-24-2007 00:48:49 | More by atsprings
korndog

4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

Beautiful Belgian pour into a tulip. Everlasting head.

Smells of light citrus macerated in spiced candi syrup. I can't get enough of this aroma; it's divine and easily worthy of a 5.

Again, the fruit and spice combine with perfect caarbonation and a honey note to make this one of the worlds best beers imo.

Mouthfeel is near perfect with a lingering bite that cleans the palate and begs for more of the nectar like aroma and front notes.

Near perfect beer experience.

Update: Just had this beer again. How amazing it is to get a beer of this quality at your local Bev-mo. I'm so glad to see the awesome reviews on this site. What a treat. More memorable than their Quad IMO.

10-02-2008 05:10:22 | More by korndog
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

St. Bernardus Tripel has a fizzy, ginger ale-type, white head and a hazy, golden-orange appearance, with lots of champagne fizziness and a plethora of suspended brownish-gray particles floating about. The aroma is of spicy bread, fruit, and sugar candy. Taste is of spicy fruit cake, bread, raisin, malt, and a lot of other stuff I can’t pinpoint. Bitterness is low with this one. The mouthfeel is tingly and medium, and St. Bernardus Tripel finishes mostly dry, tasty, and highly drinkable, which could get a drinker into trouble. Overall, it lives up to its reputation.

RJT