Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

St. Bernardus Tripel - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus TripelSt. Bernardus Tripel

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,223 | Hads: 2,908
3.53/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a. nice bright golden color. nice white lacing head.

s. fruity and bright smell, citrusy and a bit floral at times.

t. nice. i cant help but compare this to my recent experience of the abt 12, which is superb. this is not so impressive, the fruit and hops have a nice complexion, the floral notes linger with the bitterness, but its a little too mellow for what i expected.

m. smooth, nothing really comes out at me to note. its nice, but nothing special.

d. pretty drinkable all in all, not really appealing, but it has its moments. overall its just not a complete beer to me, its lacking major flavor connections and enhancements.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into a cervoise. Best before 08/31/10.

Appearance: Off-white head. Hazy orange body.

Smell: Doughy yeast smell. Little bit of fruitiness behind the yeast.

Taste: Doughy, spicy yeast. A little bit of cloves, apple, and bubblegum.

This is a fine beer. Not great, but fine.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a tulip

A: again, i just reviewed prior 8, i ended up with a borderline obnoxious fat three fingers of fluffy slightly off white head, takes a bit to recide but leavs tons of lacing. The body of the beer is a slightly hazy golden, carbonation bubbles can be seen rising from the center of the glass... Looks clean compared tonite prior 8 w/ no real sediment to be foud floating around in the glass

S: I get the bready and floraly notes that I found in the prior 8, must be due to the bernardus yeast strain, I also get some lemony citrus notes, along with some grain.

T: much like the nose I get bready and floral yeastyness right off the bat. Along with a bit of grain... Then I get some light citrus notes and a touch of sweetness. Along with some light notes off apple/pear.

M: nice and creamy body that is a touch on the heavy side of medium. Creamy and lush carbonation that also brings a touch of sharpness, very nice mouthfeel, dry in the finish.

O: a decent beer, the grainy character if this brew reminds me of a wheat beer, with some bready and floral yeast and some light hints if citrus and apples

3.55/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured this from a bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice. At first glance, it looked pretty good: Clear yellow color, large pillowy head which dissipated slowly into connected islands of clumpy yeast.

The aroma is very nice, but not really the smell of a tripel I think. Definitely included the yeasty smell of all St. Bernardus beers though, which I like.

The taste was very good, but I rated it 3 because it didn't taste like a tripel to me. No real fruity flavors were present, and this had nowhere near the sweetness I'd associate with tripels.

All in all, this is a very good beer which I'll probably try again.

3.56/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a goblet. There is a best before date of 19-07-10 on the back label and it was sampled on 7-1-09.

Appearance: Its head is bright white in color and about one finger in thickness. The light foamy head fades quickly down to just a small ring of foam that makes slick lacing on the glass as I swirl and sip. Under this head is an orangey tan colored liquid which is cloudy and full of tan yeast floaters.

Smell: The aroma has notes of fresh peeled apple skins, funky yeast and a touch of apple cider vinegar.

Taste/Mouth: There is a slightly astringent, citrus and hard apple cider flavor with some spicy phenolic character as well. The finish becomes bone dry with flavor notes of dry powdery yeast and some mild leafy hops that add just a touch of bitterness. The carbonation is light and just tickles the tongue. Its body has a medium to full feel and its texture is a little bit thick, almost chewy.

Notes: I found this Tripel to be just a little ruff around the edges, heavy and well, just a little bit above average. I'm not sure if I just got a bad bottle or maybe it could use some more time to condition in the bottle or maybe less.

3.56/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the third chapter in my St. Bernardus exploration. I'm not a big Tripel fan (I prefer quadrupels and, to a lesser extent, dubbels), but I will attempt to judge to style, and hopefully I'll be presently surprised.

My gradually evolving method of reviewing is generally to observe my beer when it comes out of the bottle, write down my observations while it breathes for 5 or 10 minutes or so, and then do the majority of my writing during the first several sips. Then I let it sit and warm up for a bit longer and if anything significant changes, I'll make a note of that as well. I've noticed that a lot of beers didn't really do it for me straight out of the wine cooler (even though I try to keep them at around 50 degrees), but as they warm, it becomes a whole new experience.

We'll see how it goes...

I used my trusty Stone RIS tulip glass for this; my receptable of choice of late.

This one poured a cloudy gold to copper. I think I got a little too excited when pouring it, because I noticed the liquid was thicker and darker at the end, no doubt caused by sediment escaping the bottle. However, it's so murky in there that it's hard to tell. The head filled nearly half the glass, a beautiful, white fluffy masterpiece. By the time I wrote the first paragraph of this review, however, that head had settled to mere lace, with scattered bits of froth clinging to the sides all the way up to the lip.

A little swirl and sniff and...phenols. The first thought that came to my mind was "band aids." Another sniff and I picked up some fruity sweetness, some pepper, maybe a hint of sour citrus, and the slightest suggestion of pine.

First sip: noticeable alcohol burning to start, then a sweet tangerine flavor, then maltiness, and a mostly clean finish that's mildly sweet and a bit peppery and resiny.

These qualities remained constant through the next several sips.

After giving my palate a breather, I took in a small sip and let it roll around on my tongue. I could feel my entire mouth pulsating from the burn of the alcohol combined with the carbonation, but once this subsided, the most noticeable new effect was a sweet carob-like coating penetrating the tip of my tongue.

I'd say this fits the site's description of the style, and vs. other Tripels I've tried, it's more complex than the normal crisp, bubbly, champagny kind of sensation I've gotten in the past. However, I'm not all that fond of it, primarily because the alcohol stands out too much and subdues what appear to be some tasty flavors underneath.

Of course, the same thing has happened to me before with the Abt., which, at its best, is one of my all-time favorite beers, so the Tripel definitely deserves another shot, probably after a little bit of hibernation.

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

A: Beautiful clear golden w/ a big white head, multi finger action.

S: Perfumy and boozy with a bit of soapiness.

T: Taste follows the smell, smooth, gets better as it warms. Definitely getting some booze and a bit of banana.

M: a bit chewy, especially for a tripel.

Overall, this is a serious Tripel, it's dangerously smooth and I could see myself drinking several before feeling the pain

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

For such a well-regarded beer, I must admit my expectations were a bit high and, unfortunately, not met. Poured slightly hazy amber-tinged gold, with lively sharp carbonation and a short-lived head. Bright in the mouth with prickly carbonation. Flavor profile was a bit flat and one-dimensional with apple notes. Lacking the peppery and phenolic notes I associate with the best examples of the style.

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured into my Duvel goblet, with a perfectly smooth, billowy white head that filled the glass to the rim. The magnificent sight ended a few minutes later when the head settled into a permanent 1/4 inch layer with some nice lacing to boot. The beer is a beautiful rich golden color, kinda looks like I have a glass full of honey, and smells almost as sweet. The smell is sweet and fruity, without the alcohol prominance of other tripels. Almost smells like a fruity wine at times.
The taste is a bit milder that I expected. There's a hint of alcohol, and a crisp sweetness, with a subtle tartness that suggests apples. Based on some experience.. this seems more like a strong pale ale than a tripel. The sweetness may compromise drinkability a bit for me.
While a good beer, it's not my favorite tripel.

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

A nice coppery-tan with much haze. Creamy head dies quickly to a creamy film. A smell of sweet fruit is present but light. Flavor starts out with some light fruit and slight bitterness, and an even smaller hint of ripe sourness. Beer turns dry with a slight flavor of alcohol. Very lively carbonation and moderately light body, add to a pretty good drinkability. There are tripels I would rather drink, but I will have this again!

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a slightly hazy dark straw color. Plentiful head sticks around forever...Aromas are sweet and candy like, lots of spice, citrus, esters, white wine, a little barnyard funk and a wee bit of alcohol to follow. Very rich and heavy on the tongue, slightly buttery (diecytal?). This one doesn't come in as thirst quenching as other tripels, and not as sweet in the end, a little too dry. I can appreciate it for what it is, but I'd much rather grab a Fin du Monde or Duvel anyday.

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a pale amber with a decent but fleeting white head and spotty lacing. A bit of haze noted.
Nose is pretty underwhelming, and what is noted has a decent amount of alcohol. Some sugary fruits and typical belgian funky yeast underneath, but surprisingly muted.

The fruity sweetness comes across better in the taste which is probably the highlight. Orange, banana, and I think apricot? Alcohol is noted early and often, but it seems well integrated, almost like the fruit has been soaking in it for some time.

I've been waiting a bit, and swirling a bit, but while the initial carbonation is getting better (lighter) the finish is still a bit too fizzy for my taste. This is a shame because I think I would otherwise really enjoy the creamy full fruit flavors and sharp warming alcohol gliding across my tongue. Drinkability is a bit lower than my favorites of the style. Not bad by a longshot, and very glad I tried it.

3.59/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance: Golden to orange color. Good head at first, but quickly disappears.

Smell: Light fruity aroma with a hint of spices.

Taste: Again, fruity and definitely a Belgian spice was added to this beer. Also, almost champagne like finish to the beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light body

Drinkability: Alcohol is hidden descently and the finish is somewhat enjoyable, so I would have to say that its pretty easy to drink.

Overall: An descent beer that I might get again.

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

Golden hazy. Not a huge head but very persistent bubbles

Pilsner malt character evident in aroma, however, not hugely so. Subtle bubblegum esters. As I drink, these esters turn into other fruit notes that are fleeting, just before I am able to identify them.

Tart up front, with little sweetness to the taste. Bitterness provided by carbonation and alcohol. I would prefer more sweetness.

Mouthfeel is in the Belgian style. Thin, digestible.

High alcohol, and maybe the lack of sweetness have something to do with it, but it is not highly quaffable, IMO.

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

Bought a 355mL bottle of this from Beale on Broadway in St. Louis, MO for $5.75. Poured from the green bottle into a 12oz cup and had a best by date of 01 04 13 on the back.

Aroma- Good complexed aroma. Very sweet and hoppy with nice spiciness. Fruit is of a citrus and may have a hint of banana but could be wrong.

Appearance- Pours a 4 finger head that stays for over the allocated amount of time. Deepest golden color body you can get before it is amber and has good clarity. The lace is very thick down the glass.

Flavor- Very sweet, malty, and has a caramel finish taste. Not much spice here in the flavor. Has a medium bitterness but nothing overpowering.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium bodied, High Carbonation, Sweet, Creamy, and leaves the caramel sweetness on the palate afterwards.

Overall Impression- While picking up this caramel flavor, I am not sure what to think of this Tripel! Not as strong and full bodied as I would like it is too sweet... Wishing there was more spice and body in this brew. Will be looking for again to compare notes but not like the other St. Bernardus beers I've had in their ranks!

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a bottle to a glass.

Look is a faint and cloudy yellow. Big head with good lacing.

Smells of heavy wheat and fruit.

I can't pinpoint the taste but it is spicey and a little fruity (maybe bananas).

Very carbonated and crisp.

Could drink, but might burp it up for a week.

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Either the uploaded picture is distorted, or the bottle I purchased is a lot skinnier. This is my first shot at a Brouwerij Sint-Bernardus brew and I expected a wonderful brew.

Pours a cloudy orange with a healthy white bubbly head that falls quickly to a thin coating of bubbles that cling nicely.

Smell is subtle. Orange peel and prunish with a woody spice.

Taste is just as subtle. What comes to mind first, and oddly, is "beery" -- not a full-bodied, wow beery, but a gentle 'ol beery. It's pleasing, warming even. Fruity on the front, bitter on the finish. The beeriness lasts for a good while.

Carbonation seems just right, but a little lighter than expected.

Goes down smooth. I could drink many of these, if I could afford it. Pricey, this one.

I expected wonderful and got damn fine. It is a damn fine brew, but not really one I'll trot off to find. I'll definately give Brouwerij Sint-Bernardus another go, but I won't expect as much going in.

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into St Bernardus chalice.

Pours a hazy golden color with a solid finger and a half of white head. Appears to have moderate carbonation. Light lacing occurs.

This has a characteristically Belgian aroma to it. When I think of a Belgian beer, this is it. It has a spicy, coriander presence to it complemented by some light citrus (lemon). Has a somewhat bubblegum characteristic to it. The yeast characteristics dominate the aroma. No hops detected in the aroma. Some sweet malt.

Actually doesn't match the aroma as much as I would have thought. Lots of coriander in there, with the signature Belgian flare. Citrus and a few other fruits, making it slightly sweet. Actually, as weird as it sounds, one of the dominant flavors is carbonation. This was more carbonated than I thought and it gives it a little bit of sharp, but brief acidic flavor. Some sweet malt too, but in the background. Some warming alcohol on the finish.

As mentioned above, carbonation is a little higher than expected. Medium body. Fairly drinkable though for 8%.

Not as impressed with this beer as I was with the other St. Bernardus beers. Still a solid beer, but I think a little too high in carbonation. For tripels, it finishes right above average for me.

3.61/5  rDev -14.7%

11.2oz bottle poured into a St. Bernardus chalice.

Bleck, tons of floaties even with a very calm pour, hands down the worst part of belgian beer is all the damn floaties!

Pours a cloudy golden yellow with lots of the aforementioned floating sediment & yeast - gross. Nose is fruity and sweet, standard tripel nose.

Mouthfeel is nice and rich, not nearly as nice as Westmalle Tripel but still good and full. Taste is sweet and rich with tons of spiciness. drinkability takes a hit due to floaties.

3.61/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Review transcribed from February 2009 notes.

Bottle poured a hazy golden color with a big white head.

Yeasty and malty aroma with sour apple and candi sugar.

Flavor is more of the same, sweet malt and sour fruits, maybe some spices. This had some similar sour/funky flavor to their Abt 12 that I can't quite put my finger on. Taste is yeasty with some funk and green apple-like flavors.

Lively carbonation with medium body.

It's good but not as drinkable as others in the style. Man I am just not a huge fan of St. Bernardus relative to the whoever has been driving their ratings way up. This tripel is good but not great.

3.62/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours a cloudy dirty yellow, with a big fluffy head. Smells of apples and other fruit. Tastes of apples, a bit of lemon, lime, honey, and who knows what. Problem is, there's just not that much flavor there--what there is is pretty weak, almost like you took Duvel and diluted it with 30% water. It's drinkable in the way that a light summer beer would be, but the flavors are so weak that it's not really that complex.

3.62/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle into a matching St. Bernardus goblet. The brew appears a pale golden yellow color with a rich finger of white froth that slowly fades leaving a wall of lace sticking to the glass. Despite the most careful pour, a serious amount of yeast makes it's way into the glass making this look like one chunky brew. A swirl agitates about a finger back to the surface.

The aroma has some sweetness to it reminiscent of belgian candy sugar coupled with some pale fruit notes like apple and pear. There is a very mild yeasty spice almost like pepper also present before blending into a more familiar aspect of clove. A trace amount of herbal hops are also felt across the backend of the brew's nose.

The taste is a bit sweet and bready with notes of pear and apples with a complimenting fruity alcohol note contrasted by some herbal hops. Like some of the other St. Bernardus offerings, this one collectively almost comes off with a medicinal aspect to it. There are some earthy notes coming out of this mixing with yeast as the brew warms up.

This is a medium bodied brew with a moderate to lighter level of carbonation. Overall not bad, but not a tripel I would drop my pants and run to have again. Worth a try if you never had it before, but this one was a little underwelming for me. While it offered some nice complexity, it just was ok.

3.62/5  rDev -14.4%

I purchased this single bottle on a trip last summer to Milwaukee. I have kept it in a cellar since and have been looking forward to trying it for some time now. The weather outside right now is negative 30 degrees and I think this will warm me up right. Let's find out.

Appearance - Poured into a snifter the body is golden orange and the head stands tall at almost two inches. The frothy head is pure white and slowly retreats.

Smell - Soapy aroma but images of apricot seem to fill my head.

Taste - The flavor is sweet malt and it interestingly migrates throughout my mouth. I taste it first at the tip and then it moved to the top back of my throat. After that it settles in a broad band across the middle of my tongue. The tastes are very similar but subtle differences in each making for a complex tasting tripel. I think this is exactly what the Monks were trying to do.

Mouthfeel - The true complexity in this beer is the feel. After three sips my tongue enjoys a numbing effect starting at the tip and working its way back. It seems to evaporate in my mouth. Truly exceptional!

~ What can I say other than, "I wish I had another to follow this one." Every beer fan must try this luxurious brew. I can't say it's the type I would sit down and polish off a four pack but certainly two would do the trick.

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

A- Vigorous pour into my St. Bernardus goblet. Good finger of head that seems to be dissipating quickly. Color is of murky dark yellow or light brown. A minute or two after the pour it settles to a light bubbly top that seem to have some staying power.

S- Very light scent on the nose. Ever so slight apricot smells with some yeasty notes. Thats all I got. Bare in mind I did drink a strong IPA before this. Addition: I decided to let this sit and warm up before I start drinking it and now the fruit smells are starting to come out much stronger then before. I am now getting some apple in addition to the apricot.

T- Nose is on the tongue. Apricot apple flavors with some light lemon notes.

M- Super bubbly! Tingle on the tongue is amazing. At 8% ABV, this goes down nice and easy.

D- Overall a nice beer. I don't drink many Tripel's and this one makes me want to change that and start drinking more!

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

This is the 4th on my St. Bernardus tour.

Apperance- Light orange, not as much head as other bernardus. Murky base, not very transparent.

Smell- Sweet base, citrus with both lemon and orange. It has a faint aromatic citrus hops smell.

Taste- Smooth, malty, with lemon and orange fruit taste. The carbonation stings the taste buds almost making the flavors mute if swished around. The initial taste is simple and sweet.

Mouth: Lots and lots of carbonation is dead on, from what I've seen in other reviews. St. Bernardus is typically highly carbonated. In this case I think its makes a negative effect because it overpowers the late mouth feel. The initial mouthfeel is smooth, but then the carbonation and alcohol overpower.

O- I enjoyed it, but I prefer the Abt. 12 or Witbier over the Triple. It's sweet, smooth, and simple, but very carbonated.

St. Bernardus Tripel from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV