2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

St. Bernardus Tripel - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus TripelSt. Bernardus Tripel

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2001)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Tripel Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,297 | Reviews: 1,166 | Show All Ratings:
brouwer

Montana

4.98/5  rDev +17.5%

Recently bought a four pack of 11.5 ounce bottles. Poured into a trumpet glass. Very generous head with lacing and an abundant aroma. The mouthfeel is wonderfully fresh carbonation and a sweet aftertaste. I find this a great example of a tripel. I would recommend this to anyone with the desire to experience a great example of a tripel.

07-29-2012 21:16:25 | More by brouwer
FoundersFanatic

Not even going to fully review this beer. It was such a huge disappointment. From a reputable dealer so I know nothing was wrong with it either. It is way too carbonated and fizzy, so plain tasting, and I dare say it tasted like a slightly better Budweiser. Nothing about this beer tasted good or of anything interesting. Now, it's not disgusting or horrible, but it was borderline bad. I'm giving it a 3 because I don't want to rip such an apparent "legend" but it was worse than that. Super disappointed :(

01-19-2012 01:26:10 | More by FoundersFanatic
LVituri

Brazil

4.69/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Me impressionei com essa tripel. Eu estava esperando menos e encontrei um grande cerveja. Seu excessivo amargor me agradou e eu gostei de sua rusticidade. Acredito que ela seja uma respeitável tripel, que agrega muito valor para a cervejaria St. Bernardus.

01-16-2014 17:19:28 | More by LVituri
AnswerInQuestion

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Cloudy, goldenrod-amber color with a 1/8 inch layer of fine, small bubbled foam.

S: Crisp apple and a hint of dry grass

T: Light citrus (orange/apple), fresh spice...coriander?

M: Well carbonated, dancing on the tongue in the front-center of the palate.

D: Deceptively light in taste and small in bottle serving, this beer is soothing going down the throat. If it was free flowing, I couldprobably drink quite a bit before I realized I was getting blitzed. Even the burps from this beer are pretty tasty.

01-27-2010 23:03:08 | More by AnswerInQuestion
BleedBlueUSAF

Germany

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured this one out into my Trappist Westvyleteren chalice, it's the first beer to be poured into it! I drank this brew pretty cold, not sure the effect on the taste.

This drink pours out a hazen golden brown, slightly orange and hardly transparent. Atop it sits a strong one inch layer of head and when it melts away it leaves a confused and random layer of lacing. Pretty good presentation, i'm pleased!

The smell is a little more timid then i'd expected but still floral and delightfully charismatic. Figs, nuts, a certain sweetness and i'm picking up a slight caramel tinge. Candy sugars as well, this is a sweet beer.

Taste - When it hits your lips it's perky and refreshing and fades to a mellow, with a smooth slightly caramel slightly fruity aftertaste. It's taking me a minute for this array of flavors to build on my palate and every drink i take of this brew it gets bolder. It's definately a triple and I can taste the sweet wheaty flavor in this the more I drink it. Good brew, very well balanced.

Mouthfeel is smooth and mellow, filling but still active on the tongue. I enjoy it!

Due to the sweeter nature of this beer the drinkability isn't through the roof but still very good for a triple.

good brew!! A !

04-16-2008 19:14:03 | More by BleedBlueUSAF
yourchoice

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Bottle enjoyed poured into a St. Bernardus tulip (from notes of last night).

A - Slightly cloudy dark straw pour. A head that is very close to pure white. Nice lacing.

S - Fruitiness, sweet spices. Swear I pick up banana. Alcohol is noticeable on the nose.

T - Some fruit (citrus and banana), spice and an awesome touch of what seems like toffee or caramel...maybe a robust honey. The toffee/caramel/honey makes this absolutely fantastic...Wow!

M - Medium body, ample carbonation. Alcohol noticeable on the nose, but not as much with the mouthfeel. Very nice.

O - Simply outstanding. A great tripel, probably my favorite thusfar. Again, Wow!

03-14-2011 01:45:01 | More by yourchoice
benyerd

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

(A) Very hazy burnt orange color. Absolutly zero clarity. Small amounts of yeast floating though out the beer with some left in the bottom of the bottle. Mild head retention that left a very slight lace that faded.

(S) Very sweet smell that was not over powering but but was just about right for this style.

(T) Awesome taste! Mild in flavor but fits almost perfectly with this beer. Very impressed!

(M) Medium bodied and a medium mouthfeel. Slightly disappointed but still matches well.

(D) Very Drinkable and truely classic. One of my favorite but felt as if it could use a little something extra to really put it over the top.

10-21-2010 08:07:45 | More by benyerd
gloriousglo2

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

This one gets a fair amount of hype, and I like this style, so I wanted to try it. So this being PA, of course, I had to shell out about a gazillion $$s for a case. Frankly, a little disappointing for the money, but I think my expectations were a little high. A typical tripel with a big head, flavorful, fruity, hides the ETOH fairly well. If I had to do it again, I'd get a case of La Fin Du Monde for about 60% of the cost.

04-11-2010 16:53:31 | More by gloriousglo2
moshiric

Japan

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

A- slightly cloudy gold. Thick white head with a good amount of lacing.

S- The nose is very fruity. A lot of strawberries. The smell is very enticing.

T- strawberries at first then moves into some bread/ yeast.

M- a decent amount of carbonation. General taste, not one specific flavor stays on the palate.

O- this is one of my new favorite triples. A bit more drinkable than westamalle's, but equally delicious.

05-08-2011 09:10:56 | More by moshiric
ThaneMcC

Kansas

4.19/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Poured a cloudy, gold color with huge frothy head with excellent lacing as the foam resolves. Nice cloudy, cider like appearance.

S: Bouquet hints of fruit (apple, belgian yeast, caramel, fresh grapes),

T: hoppy up front, followed by fruity esters, hint of sweetness and acidity results in clean finish.

M: Highly carbonated which contributes to its mild acidic/bitter taste, clean finish. good mouthfeel

Another incredible beer from Brouwerij

05-12-2013 23:37:25 | More by ThaneMcC
ndolover

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: golden yellow color, with a few fingers of head that faded quickly leaving some good amount of lacing.

Aroma: The beer has a yeasty sourness with some malt, with alcohol in the background. Low hops present

Flavor: yeasty and sour with alcohol noticable but not overpowering. While I could taste hops, it was not the star. The delicate malt balance is what impressed me. How can so much alcohol be hidden behind the pale malt veil.

Mouthfeel: Full of tiny bubbles that di not overpower. medium mouthfeel.

Overall: This was an excellent example of a triple. I had a gusher with this one...as I have had in the past. That is really all that I can fault this beer. As it is a really great beer.

12-28-2007 02:04:24 | More by ndolover
beerindex

Missouri

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

This nice yellow-orange colored beer had an impressive healthy head that was white and cloudy, and lingered long enough to please. I can't quite place the smell, though it was fairly pleasant, and I do believe I detected hints of citrus and some mystery spices.

As to the taste, I was somewhat disappointed, having just days earlier tried the Karmeliet. Still, judged strictly on its own merits, this was a rather drinkable tripel that I'd be happy to imbibe in the future. Well carbonated and fruity with some spice, but not enough for my taste. I think if anything, the mouthfeel was too comfortable, and not really a tasting challenge.

04-25-2009 00:53:15 | More by beerindex
drumline

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bomber poured into a Chimay chalice.

Appearance - Pours a hazy gold, with a thick creamy white head, and incredible lacing.

Smell - Very fruity nose. Hints of apples, pears, and a slight bubblegummy sweetness and peppery spice.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Fruity malt tastes up front that mirror the nose, with a spicey and dry hoppy finish. Yeasty/bready flavors throughout. Mouthfeel is excellent, with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - Very pleasant to drink; the ABV is hidden really well. At the end of every sip, you're left wanting more and more. Dangerously drinkable.

Definitely one of the best Belgian tripels I've ever had.

01-15-2007 01:24:55 | More by drumline
scubahood

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Presentation: 25.4 oz brown corked bottle. Served at 47.8 degrees. Date on bottom is 8/16/2010 but I don't think I will wait that long...

Appearance: Complex honey color with reds and appears thick with slow moving carbonation. Thick head that lasts as long as I wish this whole bottle would.

Smell: Spicy and fruity a bit like banana and clove.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Heavy enough to weigh down the tongue but not enough to be considered exercise. Instantly notice how balanced the beer is as a whole with intense individual stages: Starts with a sweet malty base that is bridged by the notice of alcohol but not any warming. It ends with a fruit and hop explosion that is enjoyable but shortlived.

Drinkability & Notes: A quality beer in which you can taste the craftsman shift. I would love to try off the tap at the brewery. Not as full and bold as I expected and the flavors really didn't linger in the mouth- maybe it just tastes so good I don't want it to end. All in all a must try.

05-03-2008 01:48:52 | More by scubahood
beldin96

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Look - It poured a dark yellow, into a chalice glass. It had lots of champagne like bubbles. A long lasting head.

Smell - Bananas, honey, and clove. There was a little yeastiness in the back ground.

Taste - There were bananas, with some earthiness to the taste. There were lots of long lasting fruit flavors, clove and pepper. Just a little alcohol or spiciness at the end.

Feel - It was a medium to heavy body. It had lots of carbonation, and good effervescence.

Drinkability - Smooth with just a little alcohol bite on the end. Over all it was very good.

01-18-2011 21:18:44 | More by beldin96
ewurm

1.53/5  rDev -63.9%

My first Tripel style beer, I spit it on my counter. The flavors of fruit combined with a bitter aftertaste left one bottle down the drain, and three still sitting in their case. Anyone near me is welcome to the other three. While I am confident in the quality of this product, this style is definitely not for me.

11-26-2006 00:59:25 | More by ewurm
whiterascal

Arizona

3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

Picked this up at DiCarlos in Mundelein, IL

A: bronze gold. Tan head, good retention. Lots of floaties... A scary amount of floaties for me. Some pretty lace near the top.

S: Sweet, bananas

T: mild banana taste, delicious, alcohol on the finish

M: medium with some carbonation

D: I could probably handle two....

01-07-2009 22:54:01 | More by whiterascal
ntatum

2.35/5  rDev -44.6%

Poured a dark golden color with a two finger head (pretty aggressive pour).

Smell was more faint with some yeast and fruitiness.

Taste was a bit of a surprise. The only thing I could get out of this tripel was a banana/clove/nutmeg flavor (heavy on the nutmeg). These are not really flavors that I like in my beer and that's all my mind would focus on.

Beside the taste it was a drinkable beer, as it wasn't a heavy beer to me.

Unfortunately not one of my favorites. You can't like'em all.

03-08-2011 03:15:32 | More by ntatum
Mdez

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this at a kiosk (Kiosk #25) outside of Luquillo, Puerto Rico. It was one of several great beers they had down there.

Had it straight from the bottle (they only had plastic 6-oz cups), so I couldn't really judge the appearance aside from me holding the bottle in my hand...which did look pretty good.

It smelled great, but tasted even better with a great mouthfeel, but this was all expected because of the brewer's reputation.

It was a very good beer, but note necessarily the best Tripel I've ever had; it's close to the top, but not the best.

I'me very glad I found this to try!

04-30-2013 19:01:39 | More by Mdez
RicoBrew

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

A- Pours out a very pale straw color. The head is a nice fluffy white that lingers after the pour. The beer itself is a slightly hazy golden color.

S- A bit of belgian spice hits the nose first, but caramel malt takes over.

T- A slight peppery, spicy note is noticed first, but then it fades to a nice belgian malty profile. A little bit of the spice hits the back of the tongue and hits your nose for a nice after affect. It's very pleasant

M- Not heavy on the tongue at all, not oily either. A slight carbonation sting hits, but it fades quickly away.

D- This is a very nice beer. It makes a good intro beer to belgian beer virgins :)

12-02-2008 23:18:47 | More by RicoBrew
AARomanov

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Lively golden color with fair amount of turbidity, very simular to a heffe. Lovely white head that lasts a few seconds as well.

Ar: I fucked up and used a glass that reeked of dish soap. Fuck.

T: Mouthfeel is pretty much perfect. Effervescent enough to keep it interesting throughout, but not overwhelming. Best word I can use to describe the overal taste is clean. If you take a break after a couple sips, you can feel some of the alcohol come back up in your breath. The finish is creamy. I'll have to re-review this again, the glass is definitely keeping me from getting dat full flavor.

D: dangerously drinkable. Cold or a little warmed up.

09-08-2011 23:21:21 | More by AARomanov
LordBeardman

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Looks like a Belgian Tripel. Smells like a Belgian Tripel. It reminds me a lot of Duvel, but a little sweeter on the front. A little bit more alcohol taste as well.

One thing to note about the beer is that it is very bubbly. It had a huge head after the pour and never stopped bubbling the entire time I was drinking.

This beer is good and I would get it again. I was expecting it to be a little bit better after trying the quad of the same brand. That beer is definitely superior.

09-30-2013 23:46:29 | More by LordBeardman
vidisad

3.53/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very nice Belgian triple. I got this bottle at Bevmo in Ventura, California. It comes in 330ml bottle. The foam was creamy and reach but lasted not so long. This beer has most of attributes of Belgian triples but it is not one of my favorite Belgium triples.

11-11-2012 07:52:49 | More by vidisad
Underrower

Georgia

3.76/5  rDev -11.3%

12 oz bottle from the mixed pack served in a goblet.

Honey color. More foam than the Watou Tripel. Continuous tiny bubble rising to the top. No floaties.

Smell is very light wheat maybe. Not much smell. As it warms I can smell yeast.

Taste. Very refreshing when cold. Very, very nice for a tripel as far as the hops are balanced and much more subtle than say La Fin Du Monde or Tripel Karmeleit. The flavor ride is quick from the nice Belgian malts up front then the micro fuzzy fizz comes quick then somewhat dry hops then the flavor drops cleanly leaving only a very faint sour ghost that lingers just a bit. This opens up nice as it warms. The depth increases but so does the sourness. Do yourself a favor and take you time so you experience the range from cold to warm.

Mouth feel is refreshing. Lots of tiny bubbles fizzing away on the palate. As it warms it gets more slick and less fizzy.

A fine, fine Tripel but I think it misses the depth and complexity of it's sister the Watou Tripel. I just find that one much more interesting but this one is much more drinkable. I could easily drink more of this, maybe too much too easily. This is by far the easiest drinking tripel I have had. The flavor is great but not overly complex. I would like this in a 750 ml because it just opened up as I finished it.

09-25-2013 00:15:27 | More by Underrower
wonderbread23

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

11.2 Oz Bottle Poured into Tulip glass.

Appearance: Medium tea color with some mild orange hues. Lots of little yeast floaties. Creamy white head that persists. Beautiful lacing.

Smell: Pear, apples, and a little citrus with a nice sweet malty background.

Taste: Malt and spice with a touch of honey. Fruitiness is there, but not as dominate as the nose.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and full-bodied with a nice medium-long finish.

Drinkability: Beautiful beer to sip over the course of 45 minutes or so. Could definitely have a few of these with the over-all alcohol being very well integrated.

09-06-2009 20:50:17 | More by wonderbread23