St. Bernardus Tripel - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus TripelSt. Bernardus Tripel

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Tripel Alström Bros
4.41/5  rDev +4%

Cell phone notes, but still notes on this beer.

The head on this beer has perfect head and retention. It just rapes the glass.

Smell is of banana phenol, coriander, and some orange peel and cloves.

The taste is nicely balanced. The biproducts of the yeast provide a banana fruitiness to the beer. Notes of coriander and orange peel add to the complexity. This beer finishes dry.

Nice dry mouthfeel that is appropriately carbonated.

A damn fine tripel. One of the best tripels that I've had.

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours cloudy burnt orange to slightly amber in color with a thinly laced even head in a 0.3 liter Ayinger Celebrator glass. The head was thick and full with the tiniest of bubbles and subsided rather quickly leaving little, if any lacing. Nose is slight with hints of fruit, apple in particular. Mouthfeel is very carbonated with a light citric tingle. Taste is difficult to describe. It isn’t heavy and you cannot notice the alcohol. Again, I taste the same apple and orange or lemony hints I mentioned on the nose and mouthfeel. Very refreshing tripel and quite enjoyable. I'll be drinking more of this to be sure.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a clouded gold with a white head. Nose is mild. At first the thing that came to mind was pencil shavings (like when you sharpen your pencil with that little 2nd grade sharpener). Very slight citric tone. Overall though, the nose is very quiet. The flavor. Slightly woody tone on the tail end. But overall, it is extremely well balanced. Smooth and even. On the first sip, the feel was like I opened my mouth, closed my eyes, and had someone pour silk into my mouth. Beautiful. Hence the 5. Very drinkable. One to go back to again and again.

Normally when I see a beer reviewed so much with such a high score, I approach with trepidation. This one did deliver though. And I am glad to have been able to grab a bottle when I was in the Bay area.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a hazy pale orange hay color with a big fuzzy ---- head that quickly slips down to form some thin lacing around the glass.
The nose is crazy and I get something different every time I smell it. Sugar cookies, sweet lemon, and green apple with a bit of yeasty spice.
The taste is equally elusive. A bit little sweet of lemon zest and sugar cookies with a sharp yeasty-pepper spiciness aided by a more than modest carbonation. But it's also medium bodied and creamy with hints of tart green apples and earthy bitterness around the edges of my tongue.
This was my first tripel and third St. Bernardus offering. I am quickly gaining respect for how tasty and amazingly complex Belgian beers can be. I will greatly enjoy trying to figure this one out again in the future.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: golden yellow color, with a few fingers of head that faded quickly leaving some good amount of lacing.

Aroma: The beer has a yeasty sourness with some malt, with alcohol in the background. Low hops present

Flavor: yeasty and sour with alcohol noticable but not overpowering. While I could taste hops, it was not the star. The delicate malt balance is what impressed me. How can so much alcohol be hidden behind the pale malt veil.

Mouthfeel: Full of tiny bubbles that di not overpower. medium mouthfeel.

Overall: This was an excellent example of a triple. I had a gusher with this one...as I have had in the past. That is really all that I can fault this beer. As it is a really great beer.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz bottle poured hazy orange little white head that turns to some lace. Belgium yeast, fruit and malt aroma, clean mouth feel some light carbonation. The taste on this one is lightly sweet malty fruity start slightly hoppy bitter finish. Not one of my favorite tripel’s but good non the less

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

330ml. brown bottle with a Best before end: 07 05 10 on the back label. It pours a slightly hazy golden amber with 1/3" of tight white head that settles after several minutes, leaving only a trace of lace behind.

The smell at first, was almost nothing, when it warms, smells sweet and fruity. Banana, green apple, peach and a yeasty finish.

The taste on the other hand, was highly amplified flavor of the smell, and as it warms even more so with some alcohol becoming apparent. Over all a bit too sweet, yet it finishes on the dry side.

Fairly smooth mouthfeel with occasional sharp edges of tartness in the cheeks.

Quite drinkable and I do recommend it for the style for sure.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

11.2 oz bottle decanted into a chalice.

A: Pours a clear strawberry blonde and amber with a tightly and tiny packed bubbly sheet white head, nice active carbonation.

S: A very distinct yeasty aroma permiates here with cuts of fresh bananna bread.

T/MF: Initally very yeasty but eventually opens into a mellow orange citrusy character, not too sweet and closes with a good solid malty backbone. Very well balanced overall. The carbonation and the hops are very present in the mouth, this is not really a heavy tasting beer, more of a mid bodied feeling and very smooth. Leaves a very mellow and orange cream aftertaste.

D: I don't know how to feel about this one, I did tripels but I feel like westmalle had more to offer me, that's the one I would reach for time and again.

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%

It comes out a nice golden-yellow with a fairly thick head. (Be careful opening it - when I opened the bottle it foamed like an ever-loving geyser!) Aroma is strong, malty, yeasty, wheaty. Flavor is rather like a good hefeweissen - malty/wheaty with an undertone of citrus. Finish is smooth and has just a hint of hops. Another winner from them monks.

Poured into included St. Bernardus chalice a straw yellow with about a three-finger fluffy head. Good amount of lacing.

Smell is a yeasty sourness with some malt, brown sugar and alcohol in the background.

Taste is almost like a hefe-weizen on steroids (I like!), yeasty and sour with alcohol noticable but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel is about as expected for the style... nice level of carbonation.

In spite of the high ABV this is quite drinkable.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

A- At first sight, this brew is a light, golden brown, more yellowish gold near the bottom of my St. B chalice. Head is of 2-3 fingers of white, super fluffy foam after a semi conservative pour.

S- The nose is to me like this: grassy, yeasty, and malty. I also catch a lemon-like zest along with very, very subtle alcohol.

T- The tastes I pick up are citrusy fruit, again the Belgian yeast, simple syrup and something resembling buttered popcorn. I pick up the alcohol sting in the aftertaste, but not strong at all. The alcohol is VERY well hidden in this brew. It leaves the mouth dry and wanting more.

M- The fluff of the head is nice and soft on the lips. Carbonation is mid to high with a little carb sting on the back of the tongue.

D- Very drinkable beer. I could pound a few of these down with no problems, except on the wallet. This was a small bottle that I got out of the gift pack. Next time, I am going straight for the 750ml.

As with all of the St. Bernardus beers I have tried to date, I am very impressed. This is a great representation of the style. I am ranking this beer up there with just about all of the St. B's and I will be going back for more. Those monks sure know what they are doing, I can say that for them.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

a: Medium golden in color, slightly cloudy. Decanted slowoly to leave the sediment behind. Big white head leaves lots of lace behind. Excellent head retention.

s: Earthy peppery yeast up front. Brown sugar and alcohol at the end. There is something else here I can't quite identify that U.S. tripels lack.

t: Dry sour yeast and a bit of pepper upfront. Some very slightly sweet cloves next, ending with a very dry hop tingle. Warming alcohol notes are present through out.

m: A smallish sip grows to fill the mouth almost instantly, an excellent flavor conveyor. Perfect thickness, abit syrupy.

d: A hearty brew, yet the flavors are still subtle. Not sessionable but I'll seek it out frequently.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle a cloudy peach color with a frothy white head and loads of lacing.

A beautiful combination of Belgian yeast, cloves, apricots, and sweet green apples.

Taste is sweet with the yeast, banana, apple, and light caramel malt. The alcohol is very well hidden in this one.

Light mouthfeel, dry, and moderately carbonated.

This is a very drinkable and easy-to-drink Tripel. Enjoy one when you can.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

A- Pours a slightly cloudy tangerine hue with a large eggshell head that slowly fades to tons of lacing.

S- Smell is sweet and deeply reminescent of Belgian yeast. Spicy and funky with light apricot undertones.

T- Taste is a array of blended spices, earthy belgian funk with a dry, tangy finish that leaves you constantly going for another sip.

M- Somewhat light with a good amount of carbonation that dances on the tongue and tickles the throat as it goes down.

D- This is highly drinkable and even though i'm not a huge Belgian fan this tripel really does it for me. It takes a Belgian yeasty taste that turns me off to quite a few other beers and makes it so enticing its hard to put down.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Carbonated honey with lemonade borders. The crown of foam, as expected, was massive before the first few ounces left the bottle. It's an especially regal shade of alabaster and is smoothy creamy rather than firmly rocky. Shotgun-blasted sheets of Belgian lace stick with authority. I love the look after a second pour adds a smattering of yeast to the glass.

The nose is all kinds of wonderful. Having said that, I'm not tempted to go with the big number. It's chock full of golden orchard fruit and has an ideal amount of yeasty spiciness. Just as I suspected, even a few degrees of warming opens things up beautifully.

Simply put, St. Bernardus Tripel is world-class. It doesn't happen often, but there's nothing about the flavor profile that I would change. It's as if the monks tweaked the recipe over hundreds of years until it was a model of perfectly balanced perfection. Actually, that's probably exactly what happened.

This may be the fruitiest tripel in existence. Each sip delivers a controlled explosion of buttery pears and crisp apples, sun-ripened melon and juicy pineapple. Honeyed pale malt anchors the bottom end with authority. Wrapping it all up in a neat little bow is a perfect (there's that word again) amount of clove and white pepper spiciness. It looks like Tripel Karmeliet has some competition at the top of my 'most favored tripels' list.

How can so many flavors and so many flavor sensations be present at once and how can they work so well together? Tripel is sweet and tangy and bitter and fruit and spicy... all at once. A well-crafted tripel is almost as pleasing to my taste buds as a hugely hoppy DIPA. And this is *definitely* a well-crafted tripel.

The mouthfeel falls a fraction short of perfection. It's medium for the style, with an admirable amount of silky smoothness, but it doesn't quite reach that state of effortlessly creamy expansiveness that is otherwise known as mouthfeel bliss.

Brouwerij St. Bernardus has never let me down. I've enjoyed each and every one of their creations and am especially thrilled with Tripel. It's on my short list of the world's best beers, no matter the style. I plan to stock up whenever the opportunity presents itself. Only next time I'm going for the 750s.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

330 ml bottle poured into my brand new St Bernardus chalice! Tall fluffy egg-shell white head that goes right to the rim of the glass and stays there. Leaves a thin web on the glass as it recedes. Color is a hazy golden apricot.

Smell has a mildly sweet and doughy with a nice yeast aroma. A bit of fruit mingles. Taste is also sweet, sort of like a short bread, but it is not overbearing at all. I can taste the alcohol a little.

Mouthfeel has a nice doughy body but does not seem over filling. Nice carbonation tickle. A very good Tripel

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

DrJay hooked me up with this one as part of BC2. thanks jay!

330ml bottle, best before 05 06 08.

pours orangey amber with just a touch of haze. a huge fluffy white head rises up, falling very slowly and leaving clumpy lace behind.

aroma is great. light alcohol. big floral hops. bit of caramel. light spice - maybe corriander and orange peel. hint of slightly sweet orange and tangerine.

taste is great. medium-low bitterness level. very light spice. great light caramel character. bready malt. great floral hop character. slight orange sweetness. light alcohol. there's so much more depth to this than i can really describe.

mouthfeel is great. light body with a fairly dry finish. medium high well-integrated carbonation level.

drinkability is good. balanced, nice depth, right on for the style. this is a fine tripel and i look forward to finding more of it.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Dark golden color wtih tons of carbonation flowing to the top. The highlight of the appearance is the nice fluffy white head that hangs around and leaves some spiderweb lacing.

First whiff is fruity, citrus and apricot. This is followed by the expected yeasty spiceyness, pepper mostly. The 8% dosn't show itself. Taste has all the flavors you smell but is suprisingly subtle. Fruityness dissapears and the mild spicey pepper flavor takes over. Some bready malt flavors. Finishes bitter which makes it nice and dry.

Overall, i found this one supper enjoyable. It maybe isn't as over the top as many of the "extreme" beers but it's full of flavor and makes for a great drinking beer. I could enjoy this one over and over again.

4.11/5  rDev -3.1%

Carefully poured into my snifter this pours out a clear golden amber with a fluffy white foamy head. Plenty of carbonation rising to the top helps to maintain the voluminous head. Nice thick lacing to boot!

Smells of yeast, white pepper, and earthy hops. Interesting, but not as complex as I would expect from a Belgian tripel.

Ahh, here is that complexity that was missing out. More spices and candy sugar goodness here. I'm noting clove, pepper, and yeast. The candy sugar sweetness is balanced by the hop background. Earthy and grassy hop tones rather than bitter or citrus. There's an air of funk similar to a saison. If you don't like that sort of thing this probably won't work for you.

Mouthfeel is smooth and drinkability is amazing no doubt both are helped by the careful use of the candy sugar. This was finished too fast. I highly recommend this tripel. Only the nose was disappointing, but everything else was great. Another solid offering from St. Bernardus.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Bottle served in a goblet.

I'm not impressed. Let me count the ways...

The aroma and flavor are just basic bready sweetness with a big of yeast and tiny touch of hops. Yes, this beer is smooth and really hides the alcohol, but I find the flavor bland and uninspiring. I had no problem taking my time with this one and probably won't return to it. There are better tripels out there.

UPDATE: 11/8/08 on-tap at Lee Gribbons in Emmaus, PA.
A much more impressive beer this time around. It was a touch on the thick side, for the style, but there was a great range of phenols. I mean this beer was spicy, damn. There were also mellow banana and subtle clove, matched with a sizeable hops bite of herbal lemon and citrus rind. Yum. Very tasty, but I might have trouble drinking a few of these.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Have had this on tap on several occasions here in Baltimore. While always good, there does seem to be considerable variation in the quality of the beer, perhaps based on how long the beer has been on the gas. In any event, had this beer on tap at Mahaffey's yesterday. I believe it was tapped at least several days ago.

The beer pours a hazy golden peach color with very good head retention and excellent lacing. On the nose I get a hint of citrus, honey and gingerale. The beer smells pretty good, but tastes even better. I get some moderate sweetness initially, but the beer finishes with considerable hoppy bitterness, leading to a pretty dry flavor profile. Nevertheless, there are attractive flavors of melon, apple, orange citrus and honey. Mouthfeel is surprisingly light and the beer is remarkably drinkable for the 8% abv. The alcohol is very well disguised in this beer, and this is one of the easier to drink tripels I've come across.

Perhaps not spectacular, but a very nice beer nonetheless.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Pours a yellow stream into the glass. Once in the glass it looks dirty orange. Leave a huge white billowing head. Lots of lacing.
This beer poured into a glass at a pub would be a big conversation starter due to the cloudiness/dirty look. Loved it. Some sediment at the bottom of my glass.

Smells of Belgian beers. Yiest and sugars are blegian. Some apricont and pineapple in there as well as corriander.

Tastes of classic belgian style. Could not hit the belgian style any better. Lots of sugars up front alongside the yeist flavors. Hints of apricot and lemon in the flavors. Lots of bitterness in the mid pallate. Alcoholic aftertataste.

A very complex brew that is a bit dry and bitter in the mouthfeel.
Not my favorite style but this beer is exceptional.

A true treat.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

11oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip glass
A- Pours an opaque, dirty dark gold hue, 3-fingers of solid creamy head that is completely sustaining, big lacing throughout
S- Nose is a great blend of Belgian yeast and sweet malts, some floral and citrus hops in the background, slight spice and alcohol
T- Initial taste is dominated by sweet malts, fruits, and sugar, yeasts abound, tones of grass, hops, banana, apple, and alcohol, finish is sweet fruits, quite a taste adventure!
M- Light/medium-bodied, creamy texture, very lively carbonation
D- This is a truly great Tripel that embodies all the characteristics of the style, very well balanced and complex, quite drinkable but the 8%abv can sneak up
Buy again? Definitely
Personal score- 94/100

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a pint glass. Cloudy golden in color with a very short lived, small head, but that could have been due to the motorcycle ride the bottle just took from the store back home.

Smells quite good with lots of citrus in the nose. Tastes wonderful, powerful but easy to drink, like a super strong hefewizen. The bottle was gone before I knew it.

Top notch like the other St Bernardus brews! Try it!

4.56/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - slight haze, peachy orange colour, thin white head. no lacing.

S - wonderful aromas of honey, pears, lemon peel, floral hops. I REALLY like this.

T - smooth, controlled sweetness. Awesome peachy, pear, apricot flavours. Snappy finish is a combo of spice and hops.

M - Alcohol is extremely well hidden, but it does have a nice warming effect. This beer has very bright flavours, but soft mouthfeel and carbonation gives it a gentleness.

D - Just an awesome beer, I'm so glad I can get this locally now!

I have only previously tried the Abt 12, and I didn't see what the fuss was. However, this is a different beast. I love a good tripel, but this one pushes the envelope with a distinct aroma, perfect sweetness, and a refined smoothness. I love it!

St. Bernardus Tripel from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV