St. Bernardus Tripel - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus TripelSt. Bernardus Tripel

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Tripel Alström Bros
4.11/5  rDev -3.1%

Carefully poured into my snifter this pours out a clear golden amber with a fluffy white foamy head. Plenty of carbonation rising to the top helps to maintain the voluminous head. Nice thick lacing to boot!

Smells of yeast, white pepper, and earthy hops. Interesting, but not as complex as I would expect from a Belgian tripel.

Ahh, here is that complexity that was missing out. More spices and candy sugar goodness here. I'm noting clove, pepper, and yeast. The candy sugar sweetness is balanced by the hop background. Earthy and grassy hop tones rather than bitter or citrus. There's an air of funk similar to a saison. If you don't like that sort of thing this probably won't work for you.

Mouthfeel is smooth and drinkability is amazing no doubt both are helped by the careful use of the candy sugar. This was finished too fast. I highly recommend this tripel. Only the nose was disappointing, but everything else was great. Another solid offering from St. Bernardus.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Bottle served in a goblet.

I'm not impressed. Let me count the ways...

The aroma and flavor are just basic bready sweetness with a big of yeast and tiny touch of hops. Yes, this beer is smooth and really hides the alcohol, but I find the flavor bland and uninspiring. I had no problem taking my time with this one and probably won't return to it. There are better tripels out there.

UPDATE: 11/8/08 on-tap at Lee Gribbons in Emmaus, PA.
A much more impressive beer this time around. It was a touch on the thick side, for the style, but there was a great range of phenols. I mean this beer was spicy, damn. There were also mellow banana and subtle clove, matched with a sizeable hops bite of herbal lemon and citrus rind. Yum. Very tasty, but I might have trouble drinking a few of these.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Have had this on tap on several occasions here in Baltimore. While always good, there does seem to be considerable variation in the quality of the beer, perhaps based on how long the beer has been on the gas. In any event, had this beer on tap at Mahaffey's yesterday. I believe it was tapped at least several days ago.

The beer pours a hazy golden peach color with very good head retention and excellent lacing. On the nose I get a hint of citrus, honey and gingerale. The beer smells pretty good, but tastes even better. I get some moderate sweetness initially, but the beer finishes with considerable hoppy bitterness, leading to a pretty dry flavor profile. Nevertheless, there are attractive flavors of melon, apple, orange citrus and honey. Mouthfeel is surprisingly light and the beer is remarkably drinkable for the 8% abv. The alcohol is very well disguised in this beer, and this is one of the easier to drink tripels I've come across.

Perhaps not spectacular, but a very nice beer nonetheless.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Pours a yellow stream into the glass. Once in the glass it looks dirty orange. Leave a huge white billowing head. Lots of lacing.
This beer poured into a glass at a pub would be a big conversation starter due to the cloudiness/dirty look. Loved it. Some sediment at the bottom of my glass.

Smells of Belgian beers. Yiest and sugars are blegian. Some apricont and pineapple in there as well as corriander.

Tastes of classic belgian style. Could not hit the belgian style any better. Lots of sugars up front alongside the yeist flavors. Hints of apricot and lemon in the flavors. Lots of bitterness in the mid pallate. Alcoholic aftertataste.

A very complex brew that is a bit dry and bitter in the mouthfeel.
Not my favorite style but this beer is exceptional.

A true treat.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

11oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip glass
A- Pours an opaque, dirty dark gold hue, 3-fingers of solid creamy head that is completely sustaining, big lacing throughout
S- Nose is a great blend of Belgian yeast and sweet malts, some floral and citrus hops in the background, slight spice and alcohol
T- Initial taste is dominated by sweet malts, fruits, and sugar, yeasts abound, tones of grass, hops, banana, apple, and alcohol, finish is sweet fruits, quite a taste adventure!
M- Light/medium-bodied, creamy texture, very lively carbonation
D- This is a truly great Tripel that embodies all the characteristics of the style, very well balanced and complex, quite drinkable but the 8%abv can sneak up
Buy again? Definitely
Personal score- 94/100

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a pint glass. Cloudy golden in color with a very short lived, small head, but that could have been due to the motorcycle ride the bottle just took from the store back home.

Smells quite good with lots of citrus in the nose. Tastes wonderful, powerful but easy to drink, like a super strong hefewizen. The bottle was gone before I knew it.

Top notch like the other St Bernardus brews! Try it!

4.56/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - slight haze, peachy orange colour, thin white head. no lacing.

S - wonderful aromas of honey, pears, lemon peel, floral hops. I REALLY like this.

T - smooth, controlled sweetness. Awesome peachy, pear, apricot flavours. Snappy finish is a combo of spice and hops.

M - Alcohol is extremely well hidden, but it does have a nice warming effect. This beer has very bright flavours, but soft mouthfeel and carbonation gives it a gentleness.

D - Just an awesome beer, I'm so glad I can get this locally now!

I have only previously tried the Abt 12, and I didn't see what the fuss was. However, this is a different beast. I love a good tripel, but this one pushes the envelope with a distinct aroma, perfect sweetness, and a refined smoothness. I love it!

3.92/5  rDev -7.5%

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : Fauve-abricot, limpide, mousse de bulles moyennes, abondante et assez tenace, très saturée .
Smell : Arôme bien malté, nez de levure, alcoolisé, très agréable.
Taste and mouthfeel : Goût évolutif, picotant, fruité. Amère, ronde, corps correct. Arrière goût amer assez sec.
Drinkability : Bonne bière d'abbaye de style triple

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from bottle into a glass. Lots of nice, off white head, that lasted a little but, not too long. A- a fruity, citrus? notes. T- a malty, fruity taste with some balenced hops, and sort of creamy. The beer is very belenced, and goes down easy. A great beer, I enjoyed after spending the day moving! A great beer!

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Although a newcomer to B.A., I've tasted my share of diverse beers over the years, in the US and overseas. I must confess that this is one of the most memorable beers, especially from a bottle, that I have had. I tried this beer in part because of the high rating it received on this site, and I was not disappointed. While the appearance and yeasty smell are good, it is the taste and mouthfeel that make this beer a true pleasure. As it should be! This bottle-conditioned brew has a moderately cloudy, straw-yellow color and a solid but unexceptional head. The color is deceiving, however. This beer has an extremely full and well-rounded taste, somewhat alcoholic but fully pleasurable. I found it challenging to pick out any distinct flavors because, for me, it was so full and balanced. There is a slight fruitiness, and a slight twinge of black pepper in the aftertaste. Beyond these, it is simply good, round, and with a real presence in the mouth.

The mouthfeel is reminiscent, to me, of much darker, heartier beers, like a good porter. It does not taste at all like a porter, mind you, but it fills the mouth with a creamy fullness that reminded me of porter. The taste evolves in the mouth, moving forward to the tip of the tongue. I opened my large bottle right out of the refrigerator (a sin, I know) and was greeted by a taste somewhat sharper than the fuller flavor of the warmer second half. Do yourself a favor - allow this beer to develop its full potential at a cool, not cold, temperature. I definitely prefer this to Bernardus' "8" but maybe it's a style thing. This is a beer that will definitely be part of my regular stash from now on...

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%

This was a hearty beer, good flavor almost a coffee taste to it, I was pleasently supprised by the overall taste. The initial taste left me wonering if I would even like it, but by the end of the bottle I was very surprised. Great beer overall, I have 2 other bottles for the most part and am looking forward to drinking them.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

11.2 oz bottle best before 03 08 09
Dark golden color with a thick white head.
Smells of a fragrant rock candy, bubble gum, light clove and some spice to it as well. (Nice!)
Taste as it smells, with some carmel and green apple. Kind of sweet, but crisp. Alcohol is hidden. Finishes clean. (Can’t wait to take another sip.)
Mouth feel is light and creamy.
Overall I’m really impressed with my first authentic triple and will be seeking out more. I loved it. Recommended!
Cheers!

A: Poured into a St. Bernardus chalice. A hazy gold, white light but well formed head, didn't leave just lace, left a layer of foam that gripped the walls of the glass.

S: Can't imagine a better balance of Belgian yeastiness, earthiness, and a little sweetness.

T: Just like the smell. This tripel was so flavorful yet not overdone it was ridiculous.

M/D. The alcohol didn't make it too slick, but it had a nice medium-light mouthfeel

This is a beer I could drink and drink forever. So interesting yet it's easy to quaff.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Picked up a bottle at Julio’s Liquors in Westborough, MA.

A: Thick and rich white head. Deep gold hue. Poor clarity. Visibly effervescent. Belgian lace.

S: Yeasty. Ester aroma is banana like. Perfumy hop character comes through. Some subtle alcohol aromas. Not particularly spice – no phenols. Sweet. Overall very pleasing.

T: Yeasty. Clove and some limited pepper phenols are strong. Sweet candi sugar and alcohol flavors. Hop bitterness noticeable on the back end. No fruit esters. Dry finish with a lingering aftertaste.

MF: Medium light body. Highly carbonated – spritzy. Slight alcohol warming.

D: A great tripel. Worthy of listing on Best of BA. Not overly sweet, well balanced and complex – many different flavor pints. Drinkability is good but it will jump up on you.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Orange-gold body with a thick lasting white head

S: Various fruits, yeast and pale malt sweetness

T: A well balanced blend of fruits and malt with a hit of hops and spice. a very pleasant flavor profile that hides the 8% ABV very well

M: Light and velvety ... carbonation flows throughout

O: A joy to drink!

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a hazy apple cider color, a heavy white head that settles relatively slowly, leaving some very thick lacing on the glass. Aroma is very fruity sweet, hints of raisins and apricots. Taste is somewhat sweet as well, with hints of apple, and a somewhat oakey flavor. Bits of yeast flavor as well. Mouthfeel is very smooth, creamy. Just the right amount of aftertaste.

I really enjoyed this beer. It doesnt appear to be as "spicy" as other belgians i've tried. Very nice. I think the more I try, the more i want to try. I'm becoming more of a fan of belgians with every one I try.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

750 ml corked bottle poured into my St Bernardus chalice (same one thats on their website so i suppose this is the right glass). I think this is my ~800th time to drink this beer but first review. St Bernardus might be my favorite brewery, so pardon my homerism if I get carried away. Pours a cloudy yellow with some light orange/gold tints. A massive pure white beautiful head that has some serious retention. Smell is pears, yellow grapes, sugar, candy sugar, citrus. Taste is very smooth, sugar, very bready, biscuit, light citrus and fruit. Mouthfeel is thin, but perfect and creamy. I dont know how they subdue the intrusive phenols (contrary to something like Maredsous which is also a wonderful beer) so well and make such a clean high ABV beers and this is no exception. A masterfully crafted beer. I might not be typical but I can session these. This is one damn fine beer and perhaps the finest commercial example of the style. YUM! The perfect way to wind down a long day before Monday night football.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

A: The beer pours a hazy, light orange color. The head is about a finger thick and settles quickly. Excellent lacing and retention.

S: I'm getting fruit aromas, all citric. I think this is fairly standard for a triple.

T: The beer is a bit creamy and tangy with lots of fruity flavors. I'm getting yeast, citrus, and subtle hints of hops. The alcohol is not noticeable. I'm getting an aftertaste of bananas.

M: The beer is medium to full bodied. It is very creamy.

D: This beer is extremely drinkable. Easy to pair with any meal.

4.09/5  rDev -3.5%

11.2 FL oz. $4.29
There was a "Best Before End" of FL 25 01 10

A) White head. Head falls down the side of the glass. Slight cloudiness with floating chunks of yeast (I think my bottle had been continually jostled being temporarily stored in the door of a small hotel-fridge). Pink in the heart of the beer.

S) Big-time Apple Cider. Spicy notes and a twinge of sour in the nose.

F) Apples. Hint of cotton candy. Yeasty. Bready. A balanced beer for the most part. Sweet up front and bitter in the end. Neither seemed to dominate.
It was apply cidery for me through the end

M) High Carbonation. Medium Mouthfeel. Quite drinkable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got a 25 oz. bottle of this for $12; busting it out for the special occasion of leaving the country for two years. Pours a light yellow-orange color, crystal clear, with two fingers of frothy white head on top. Leaves great lacing as it drains. Surprisingly clear, although the later pours were a little foggier. Nose is tons of spice, bread, cotton candy, light lemon as well. Mostly sweet, spicy malt. Great nose. Flavor is great as well, and improves drastically as the beer warms. Refreshing citrus. Not even a hint of alcohol. Tons of lemon, with some breadiness. Candy sweetness. Carbonation is good and bubbly, spicy and refreshing - it might actually hide a touch of the flavor, although it eases as it warms. Really liked this one, although I must recommend letting it warm up A LOT. A very tasty tripel.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

A beer rated this highly must be really good, right?

A: Quite a beauty. Bright gold haze with a beautiful creamy head and lacing galore.

S: Assorted lighter fruits and sweet candies.

T&M: More of the sweetness. It's kind of like a sunny summer afternoon near a candy apple stand. Carbonation is perfect. Medium-bodied.

D: Good enough. I wasn't dying for another sip, but it's very satisfying. I will surely get it again in the spring.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

A- A beautiful, slightly cloudy golden liquid with tons of streams of carbonation. The head is about .75" thick and seems to last forever. Leaves some outstanding lacing.

S- Apples and bread, with some banana and pineapple tossed in. Very light and pleasant.

T- Very light and fruity. Not harsh at all- just very pleasant Belgianness. There is a hint of zestiness.

M- Very light and creamy with a nice bubbly carbonation.

D- Delicious and went down fairly quickly for an 8% beverage. Very enjoyable.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

I wasnt surprised that this was a very good brew- poured bubbly and effervescent huge spicy aromas with some sour yeasty undertones. There is a very earthy flavor, slightly sweet but also a hint of grassy hops. Very smooth and not as heavy as I would expect from a tripel but this one is obviously well crafted. There is a craminess to it, some slightly carmelized malt that amps up the flavors. The belgian spiciness is subdued but definately thre. The finish is dry but doesnt leave a sour note as some do. Very well done- cant wait to get into the rest of the series from Bernardus.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle purchased at Jasper Liquors, 08/07

Appearance: Gold. I'd truly describe this beer as gold coloured. A little cloudy with sediment and a 1 one finger on the pour that decreases to a slight bubbling top afterwards.
Smell: Banana and apple. Black pepercorn as well as sourdough bread.
Taste: Sweet and much like the aromatic end of the beer. Light frutiness and spicy. The alcohol lends a sweetness which contrasts starkly with the yeast sourness.
Mouthfeel: Low-moderate carbonation. The carbnation s such that the flavours are presented where they should be...Sweetness at the front and bitterness at the back.
Drinkabiltiy: This is a doosie beer. 8% is too much to drink a few of, but the alcohol flavours are so subdued that they could go down quite easily.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

I purchased my hoard from Liquid Solutions in Oregon City, Oregon. After working my way through a selection of domestic and Belgium Tripels I decided it was time to take on the beer my friend imacoug declared to be the best tripel he had ever experienced. With that hype in mind, I poured a 330 ml bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a hazy, warm, creamy light orange color. The head began about a finger thick and a sticky clean white that settled down quickly leaving a modest cover across the liquid and a slight lacing on the glass.

S: Warm fruit aromas, with a hint of plastic (phenolic). No single aroma dominates and there is nothing outstandingly wonderful or repulsively objectionable.

T: Very creamy and slightly tangy, with definite fruity flavors. This is a really complex beer with lots of different flavors hitting all parts of the mouth at different times. There is the expected taste of sweet yeast, combined here with citrus (mandarin orange) and some hint of hop bitterness. The alcohol is barely noticeable. The beer leaves a pleasant aftertaste of malts mixed with sweet oranges and ripe bananas.

M: Medium to full body. Very creamy and smooth. Fills the mouth with flavor. Well balanced between the creaminess, carbonation and alcohol. None dominates, each complements making this a joyful experience.

D: Extremely drinkable. The complex and well balanced flavors make it attractive to this a beer to savor. I will return to this Tripel often.

Comment: This beer largely lived up to the hype. Imacoug is typically a restrained beer lover and he went head over heals for this gem. I concur, for the most part. I could use a bit more head and a tad more aroma to complement the fantastic taste and mouthfeel.

St. Bernardus Tripel from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV