St. Bernardus Tripel - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus TripelSt. Bernardus Tripel

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Tripel Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a very enjoyable tripel that was very complex and had some very unique character. It poured a copper hue with a nice one inch thick foamy head. It smelled of hay, ripe fruit, apples, light spice, malty sweetness, and a little bit of alcohol towards the bottom. It tasted great it was very complex and had sweet malty flavor with hints of apples, ripe fruit and a nice level of carbonation. Overall give this beer a definate try its great.

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Caged and corked 750ml bottle poured into a St. Bernardus chalice. Pours a pale orangish yellow color with thin layer of white lace. Fruit dominate the dry crisp nose. Lively carbonation contributes to a dry crisp mouthfeel. Taste is much like the aroma in that it has an array of fruity notes that finishes dry. Overall, this is another good brew from St. Bernardus. I will be honest, I was expecting a little more from this excellent brewery. Definately not a bad brew, I just think it could be better.

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

[4.95 IIRC at Downtown Wine and Spirits in Somerville, MA. Best before January 30th, 2009.]

Pours a hazy pale gold with a stupifying angelic head that lasts and laces tightly. The aroma has a lot going on. Plums are the dominant fruit to me, with cotton candy, bubble gum, and yeast mixing in a bit. Pepper and cloves keep it from being too candy-like. Sweet at first, this is very soft on the mouth. Doughy with a lingering hop tingle and sparkles of lemonpepper. Absolutely perfect feel. Seamless. This is heavenly nectar.

This beer reminded me of how Schumann described the music of Chopin: "Guns buried in flowers." This is a light colored, fluffy, flowery beer that secretly has powerful aroma, flavor, and alcohol.

Poured from an 11.2 bottle. A dark honey color and fluffy head that dissipated rather rapidly. It gave off a sublte, yeasty aroma of clove and spices. The same characteristics do well in describing the taste, along with some maltiness and a faint trace of citrus--and an uncharacteristic absence of alcohol. A light but satisfying mouthfeel, resulting in extreme drinkability. A very solid Tripel overall.

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

Murky golden color, slight candy nose, light hops with earthy taste but a clean creamy body, after taste bitter and sweet in the back PalateMurky golden color, slight candy nose, light hops with earthy taste but a clean creamy body, after taste bitter and sweet in the back Palate

3.63/5  rDev -14.6%

750ml corked bottle with adrink brfore date of 1/24/09 stamped on the bottom. Pours a slightly hazy medium gold with a hude fluffy white head and very nice lace. Smells tart with a fair amount of wheat malt smells. Fruit aromas are also present with some apple and pear. Initial malt are fairly intense but are quickly followed by a decent hop bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste. initial flavors also include the juices mentioned above as well as some yeasty undertones. Alcohol is hidden nicely. A fine beer that I think needs some aging still. It seems like tha flavors just don't blend like they should, so I think I will purchase another and open it in about 2 years. It shold be very nice then.

This much anticipated tasting left me underwhelmed, I’m afraid. Don’t get me wrong; it’s a good tripel, just it’s no Abbt. 12.

Pours into the cervoise a pale golden color with many small bubbles coruscating. Thick head that fades at a fairly rapid clip to a good cap with plenty of lacing. Nice looking appearance. Nose of bready yeast and spices, mainly cloves and coriander. Smells like a good white ale. Taste delivers what the smell hints at, namely cloves, yeast, sweetish malt, and a faint grape juice flavor. I didn’t taste any hint of alcohol, which is impressive considering 8% ABV. It would have been welcome, however, to further enhance the flavor. Overall, the flavor is solid and straightforward. Mouth is pleasantly watery, semi-creamy, and bubbly enough to be interesting without becoming annoying. Drinkability is good; it goes down easy, but something seems to be missing.

Overall: Is this a good beer? Yes. Is it great? No. Try it yourself and see.

3.55/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the third chapter in my St. Bernardus exploration. I'm not a big Tripel fan (I prefer quadrupels and, to a lesser extent, dubbels), but I will attempt to judge to style, and hopefully I'll be presently surprised.

My gradually evolving method of reviewing is generally to observe my beer when it comes out of the bottle, write down my observations while it breathes for 5 or 10 minutes or so, and then do the majority of my writing during the first several sips. Then I let it sit and warm up for a bit longer and if anything significant changes, I'll make a note of that as well. I've noticed that a lot of beers didn't really do it for me straight out of the wine cooler (even though I try to keep them at around 50 degrees), but as they warm, it becomes a whole new experience.

We'll see how it goes...

I used my trusty Stone RIS tulip glass for this; my receptable of choice of late.

This one poured a cloudy gold to copper. I think I got a little too excited when pouring it, because I noticed the liquid was thicker and darker at the end, no doubt caused by sediment escaping the bottle. However, it's so murky in there that it's hard to tell. The head filled nearly half the glass, a beautiful, white fluffy masterpiece. By the time I wrote the first paragraph of this review, however, that head had settled to mere lace, with scattered bits of froth clinging to the sides all the way up to the lip.

A little swirl and sniff and...phenols. The first thought that came to my mind was "band aids." Another sniff and I picked up some fruity sweetness, some pepper, maybe a hint of sour citrus, and the slightest suggestion of pine.

First sip: noticeable alcohol burning to start, then a sweet tangerine flavor, then maltiness, and a mostly clean finish that's mildly sweet and a bit peppery and resiny.

These qualities remained constant through the next several sips.

After giving my palate a breather, I took in a small sip and let it roll around on my tongue. I could feel my entire mouth pulsating from the burn of the alcohol combined with the carbonation, but once this subsided, the most noticeable new effect was a sweet carob-like coating penetrating the tip of my tongue.

I'd say this fits the site's description of the style, and vs. other Tripels I've tried, it's more complex than the normal crisp, bubbly, champagny kind of sensation I've gotten in the past. However, I'm not all that fond of it, primarily because the alcohol stands out too much and subdues what appear to be some tasty flavors underneath.

Of course, the same thing has happened to me before with the Abt., which, at its best, is one of my all-time favorite beers, so the Tripel definitely deserves another shot, probably after a little bit of hibernation.

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Absolute great looking beer... hazy... orange/straw in color... Quite nice head... excellent swirl... lots of stickiness. Wonderful cap.

Aroma is right on. Orangey/malty/yeasty/spicy/bready/peachy... tons of smells everywhere. Near perfect.

Great fruitiness upfront, almost tart. Appley and peachy... fades across the palate into a nice malty mix with yeast notes on the backend... followed by a mellow hop/fruity finish. Wow. A nice spicy afterward and some excellent bread-like qualities linger and linger in the mouth. Wow. Balance, balance, balance... Wow.

Palate is bubbly... creamy... a slight alcohol burn. Very nice.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Nice straw gold appearance with rocky, meringue like head that dissipates quickly into a thin but resiliant white layer.

Nose is of pre-baked Pilsbury biscuits, clean lemon, and miscellaneous herbs.

On the palate this beer is well-carbonated with a rising, zesty citrus flavour followed by a sweet and tangy bite that leads to the finish. Citrus baked goods come to mind, such as pies.... lemon, maybe key lime, very citrusy.

Finish is long and rather tart, perhaps a touch bitter as well.

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured the 11.2 oz glass bottle into a glass tulip-shaped goblet (11.5 oz). Date on back 09-07-07.

Appearance - Amberish straw coloration. A very large immediate head (about three fingers) that dissipated quickly to a lasting fine layer, velvety head. Lacing all the way down the glass. Contains a cloud of "floaties" and the beer itself is quite hazy.

Smell - Sweet, with a strong prescence of fig and raisin, right off the bat. The end has a background chocolate and coffee malt scent. The alochol aroma is almost non-existent.

Taste - Again, very sweet. The figs and raisins I smelled are not nearly as predominant in the taste. The taste is much sweeter than the smell, with a slight alcohol burn following through to the finish. The flavor is very complex, yet I have difficulty explaining it well. Extremely satisfying, though. Indeed, an exquisite flavor.

Mouthfeel - Almost perfect! This beer has absolutely the most perfect amount of carbonation I have ever felt in my mouth. The mouthfeel is just PERFECT!

Drinkability - For what this beer is, the drinkability is superb. It is smooth, not overpowering in the least, very flavorful, complex. The mouthfeel is sublime. Excellent.

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

After trying this is a bottle last night, I knew I had to make a valiant effort to find this on draft. I had heard that the nearest Belgian cafe in Garden City, about 20 miles to the southwest, had this in its rotation, so i made a trip to find this majestic tripel.

I found Waterzooi be a warm welcome home to the Europe I left last summer after my brother's wedding in Lyon, France. Among the neatly arranged taps was the smiling monk waiting for me..

The pretty bartender poured me a healthy goblet full of the butter colored ale, which led to the first taste without a thought....it was amazingly good. It was even greater than I had anticipated as I watched the rings of lacey foam decline into the glass.

The malty triple had more great tastes than Sybil had personalities.
I had the bizarre impression of bananas and milk shakes while I couldn't detect the alcohol at all.

I thought this ale would be great with broiled duck or just by itself in the company of friends.

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

This one pours a darker shade of your typical Triple. Nice white head. The smell is outstanding. Tropical fruits, and a hint of alcohol.

The taste is also outstanding. There are tropical fruit flavors, lemon, apricots, and an incredible bready malt balance with some herbal spice to finish things off. Complex would be understating it.

The mouthfeel has an adequate amount of carbonation, and feels light for this ABV. The drinkability is only limited by how much I can get my hands on.

This is by far my favorite Belgian Triple. Superior in almost every way. If I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life- this one would be solid possibility. Incredible stuff.

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

I first had this a few weeks ago at Belgium Comes to Cooperstown. I let it warm to around 45º F and served it in my Westvleteren chalice.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden with a foamy, creamy, white head that thins to a quarter-inch layer, that fades to a persistent film.

Smell: The nose is fruity with notes of banana, yeast and a spicy graininess.

Taste: Fruity banana upfront, with a nuttiness in the center. The finish is grainy and citric with spicy alcohol and a very light bitterness,

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation, creamy, light to medium-bodied.

Drinkability: The flavors are good but strong, as is the alcohol.

Overall: This is a delicious Tripel. The sweet fruitiness is moderated well by the alcoholic spice and light bitterness.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

750ml silkscreened bottle with a best before end of 6/14/10 on the crown. Pours a hazy golden yellow with a massive off-white head that retains impressively and incredibly active carbonation. The aroma has some tropical fruit notes upfront, along with spices, biscuit, candy sugar, and the traditional St. Bernardus yeast character. The flavor is initially yeasty (typical st bernie yeast), with some tropical and citrus fruit notes, some candy sugar, biscuit, light spices (corriander, anise) and some herbal hops. The mouthfeel is on the light side with moderate carbonation, drinkability is very good with little or no alcohol noticeable. A very good tripel, not overly medicinal or spicy like many beers of it's style.

Outragously active, Bubbles rushing up from the bottom. Looks like jet in a hot tub. A crazy amount of carbonation. Medium golden amber, massive frothy 3" thick head. Amazing retention and nice lacing.

Yiesty, lemmon, sweet malt.

Taste has a lemmon tang effect with minor hop bite, malty sweet & sour.

Taste's light and bubbly, evaporates on the tongue. Frothy head gives it a smooth effect as well.

I could drink it all day, if I didn't have to get in a car that is.

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

The St. Bernardus Tripel pours into my tulip glass with a deep golden effervescence and an arid bubbly white head on top. Some little yeasties make their way into the pour accidentally. Aromas of sweet pale malts with nice fruity tones. Somewhat spicy with a dash of vanilla in the mix and floral undertones.

First sip brings a nice, somewhat sweet pale maltiness with a light fruity flavor. I get quite a bit of vanilla as well as some spicy yeastiness on the way down. A touch of hops rounds out this tasty tripel.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with a tight bubbly carbonation. Goes down nicely and is quite a tasty tripel overall. This is one I'd definetly pick up again sometime and another feather in the cap for St. Bernardus. Worth checking out if you're a fan of the brewery or the style.

I thing St Benardus is my favorite Belgian brewery. I've loved all of their beers. Had this in a wine glass (that's all the beach house had). Just a little bit of a head. Yellow, straw color with a strong floral and yeast aroma. Not overpowering. Much different than Allagash Tripel Reserve, which is great in it's own way. Taste has some banana. Can taste/feel teh alcohol, but it doesn't detract fromt he beer. I great example of a classic Tripel.

The pour reveals a golden brew that leans more toward an orange hue. A big white head came up off the pour and faded away leaving some thick lace that looks soapy and bubbly on the rim of the glass.

The nose is malty and sweet. Yeast is quite detectable. This actually does smell a bit like caramel underneath the fruity sweet candy sugar tones that flourish. It seems to have a peppery aroma that encases these sweeter and more dynamic notes.

The flavour has some tasty banana fruitiness. The yeast is present and gives a chalky, buttery aspect to the flavour. Banana, caramel, butterscotch, and that bit of peppery spiciness come together as a package with the candied aspects that add another dimension.

The mouthfeel is medium. It feels a bit thick and syrupy, which works well here.

Drinkability is easy. No problems here. This is good, but really nothing super impressive.

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

From the 33cl capped bottle.

Pours a hazy, deep golden hue. An inch thick frothy head that leaves sheeting lace. Smell is fruity and lightly spicy (Clove and vanilla). Hints of oak.

Taste is fruity and caramel malt. Really rich maltiness for a tripel and that oak is there again. Notes of sherry and candy sugar too. There is prominent alcohol n the mouth that helps to dry out the finish. Creamy and smooth, surprisingly drinkable and tasty.

They do nothing wrong. I am slavishly devoted to drinking St. Bernardus beer.

Pours from the bottle an orange amber with sediment floating all around. Creamy white head that leaves abundant lacing. Consistant carbonation rising to the surface.

Honey and very sweet light fruits. White grapes, and citrus. Some apple and the yeasty funkiness that is present in all good Tripels.

Very very sweet and light malts. Wheat and honey as well as the obvious citrus fruit. Very very mellow and everything works wonders for every other part of the beer. Carbonation is a bit much though.

Medium body, high carbonation. Pretty refreshing and easy-going on the palate. Not too offensive and very complex. Solid 4's goes out to this one.

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

This beer is Really good looking. A huge amount of carbonation leaves a giant head with great lacing and millions of bubbles in a clear golden color liquid. The smell is a disappointment with only a slight aroma of candy sugar. The taste isn't as sweet as other tripels,but there is a definite candy sugar taste along with flora, coriander, and malt. This is very good and subdued for the amount of alcohol in it. The m/f is light and very well mixed. A classic beer that should not be missed.

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Got this one from the St. Bernardus gift pack. I love drinking beers from the brewery glass... this one pours a hazy, pale straw yellow with lots of yeast bits swirling in the glass. A fine, tenacious, inch tall head crowns the top.

A nice sweet, floral smell comes from the glass. Has that typical unique Belgian yeast smell. Nothing unusual in the aroma however.

A long sip yields classic Tripel. I really dig the Tripel style, and this is a great example of one. There's the spicy pear and banana flavor, and then some mild tannins and a hint of hops. Some dryness is present, along with a warming sensation from the (quite hidden) alcohol. Good stuff, very drinkable. Finish is moist, mouthwatering and reminds me of white grapes.

Mouthfeel is tangy and spicy, but full. Mild carbonation.

This is a pretty straight-up Tripel, everything it does it does well. I was expecting a little more complexity, I suppose, but for what is there I couldn't find much to complain about. Allagash still makes my favorite Tripel, but you certainly can't go wrong with St. Bernardus.

11.2 oz bottle.
10/24/08 - best before date

Hazy yellow, modest head. Belgian yeast, spices, coriander, pale malts, slightly fruity..plenty of carbonation, and rather lively on the tastebuds. This is certainly an easy drinker, and I had a couple around the campfire the other night. You almost have to force yourself not to drink this one too fast to enjoy the subtleties of it. Has no perceivable alcohol bite despite the impressive 8% abv. This is just a classic Belgian tripel from a stellar brewery.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours out a nice slightly hazy orange hue with a white head.

Smell. Initially quite sweet and fruity- apples and peaches as if they are in a cobbler. Has a rich creaminess, almost as if i were smelling a warm fruit pastery.

Taste. Not as sweet as the aroma would make it appear, or others in it's style, but still a bit sweet. One interesting thing i get is roasted malts as i let it sit on the top of my tongue and warm up. I remember fruits playing a bigger role in the past, but no so much in this bottle. Aftertaste has a small hint of the alcohol, but it is still pretty well hidden.

Mouthfeel. Body is very nice and creamy as the beer really seems to fill my mouth. Though creamy, it still has tons of carbonation. Very nice.

Overall. Excellent beer. Mouthfeel stands out the most, imho, but i dont believe this beer has any shortcomings. great one for after dinner.

St. Bernardus Tripel from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV