St. Bernardus Tripel - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus TripelSt. Bernardus Tripel

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Tripel Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured this from a bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice. At first glance, it looked pretty good: Clear yellow color, large pillowy head which dissipated slowly into connected islands of clumpy yeast.

The aroma is very nice, but not really the smell of a tripel I think. Definitely included the yeasty smell of all St. Bernardus beers though, which I like.

The taste was very good, but I rated it 3 because it didn't taste like a tripel to me. No real fruity flavors were present, and this had nowhere near the sweetness I'd associate with tripels.

All in all, this is a very good beer which I'll probably try again.

3.53/5  rDev -16.9%

The drunk monk on this 33 cl bottle enthuses me for this brew.

Pours yellow-to-slightly orangish with a ¾ inch white head that dissipates after about two minutes to an ultra-thin film. Chalky yeast persists near the bottom of the glass as mild carbonation makes its way to the surface. The nose is slightly tropical and fruity but really quiet tame. Apricots and toffee make up the bulk of the taste while mild phenols roll over the tongue. Very, very drinkable. Smooth and mild.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

This Tripel had an outstanding pure white head, atop a medium-golden amber-colored body. The lacing was very delicate. The first thing that jumped out to me about the bouquet of the beer was a faint hint of banana balanced with yeasts. The taste first revealed what I had already smelled, but then began to come alive as it warmed, giving hints of candy sugar, hops and more complex fruit flavors. There was just enough carbonation to balance the creamy taste and mouthfeel. I was extremely impressed with the complexity of taste and feel on the palate. Most certainly one of the best Tripels I’ve had in recent memory.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from the 11.2 oz bottle into my Duvel tulip glass. Appearance is a slightly cloudy golden hue with bright orange highlights, topped by a one-inch creamy white head. Simply beautiful. Tiny bubbles of carbonation keep on coming. Sweet aroma of Belgian yeast, bubble gum, a touch of hops, a little bit of banana, and a whiff of alcohol.
Creamy, slightly foamy body holds a palate of lightly sweet malt, Belgian yeast, and a touch of hops. Notes of banana, bubble gum, treacle, and a little bit of clove. Mouthfeel is creamy but then oddly dry on the finish, with more of an alcohol presence. I remember this being a bit tastier in previous encounters, but it's still good stuff.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from 330ml bottle into Chimay chalice. Bottle had a neck label (unlike picture) and a best before date of 28/01/08 on back label. Purchased from John's Grocery in Iowa City.

A - Rich, cloudy gold with a thick two-finger head when poured. Head lessens but some remains throughout. Lacing was dense but dropped quickly.

S - Sweet and fruity (light fruits), a hint of alcohol

T - Tasted a bit more alcohol than I smelled, but it was still well disguised. Lots of fruit flavors and bunch of sweetness. A nice touch of bitterness at the back of the tongue to contrast with the sweet taste up front.

M - Nicely carbonated, a bit tart at times, but feels great going down.

D - Very good, delicious and complex enough to be interesting. Definitely a sipper, but the alcohol is hidden well.

A damn fine tripel.

Note: Bottle says 8% alcohol

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a very mildly hazy gold with a puffy white head.

Smell sweet and spicy. Clean scent of ripe banana, cinnamon and cloves. Pleasant scent of honey, coriander and flowers. Alcohol carries a pleasant scent of black pepper and pipe tobacco.

Taste is sweet and fruity. Tasty honey and brown sugar dominate at first, then the spice gets stronger. Coriander is up front in the spice flavor. Nicely balanced flavor that doesn't let anyone aspect take over Mild acid shows up in the finish.

Mouthfeel is good, creamy without getting choking.

Excellent drinkability. I would drink this every night if I could find it and afford it! Probably THE example of what a Tripel should be.

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a very light and hazy gold, kind of odd if you ask me. A champagne white head grows then falls quickly with tiny lacing.

S - Smells very light, not giving off a lot, I'm starting to think I got an odd bottle.

T - Ok, now the taste is redeeming. Sweet and bitter are fighting back and forth trying to make their presence known on my tongue. I'm getting fruits and spices, lots of pear, very nice.

M - Hits the mouth very, very sharp with it's carbonation with a touch of the alcohol. Not what I'm used to, but I like it.

D - I can see myself getting this again, the ABV is very high, and you sure can't taste it. This is a very good tripel although at first I didn't think it was.

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

One of the best tripels out there for sure, and I know it as I keep drinking. Seek it out.

Appearance: Not as much lacing as I would've wanted. And the head isn't as huge and foamy as I wanted, but the head still tops it off as I drink it, and there's at least enough of the white head to cover it without dissipation. Maybe it's my glass, and I'll review this again, but appearance is hurting it a bit.

Smell: Wonderful. Cloves, cream, banana, pepper, cirtus zest, spice. The cream aspect seems to be extremely high for tripel, and it adds much to the aroma.

Taste: As with many tripels, banana comes through (at least for me) mostly. Some lemon or lemon grass, slight cream (though there's more in the aroma). The spice does nothing but enhance all the flavors, and is perfect. Pretty incredible for sure. The aftertaste is amazing, yeasty, full, creamy, and coating. Oh, and the slightest amount of hops is present with the aftertaste also.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation explosion at the very first, but it soon turns very creamy and full, though medium-bodied. Fantastic.

Drinkability: Not an insane amount of alcohol, and insanely drinkable without being cloying or too much in anyway.

I only have 3 bottles left from my 4-pack. Now it seems I need a case, though that probably won't happen. Pick this up if you can find it.

4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

This brew pours a semi-cloudy orange color with a nice white head. The aroma is strong. Orange peel, and spices. The taste fantastic. Fruity and juicy with spicy undertones. The mouthfeel is juicy and well carbonated. Overall, this is a great brew. Very refreshing.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

this poured a hazy copper, thick frothy head with great retention...left broken puffs of lace all the way down.
smell was fruity and complex, some raisin's, apricot, maybe some pear.
taste, again kinda a raisin up front taste, complex fruits, alcohol warmth..
mouthfeel was bubbly crisp, and tart.
drinkability, is awesome! one of the best brews I've ever had!...but...it IS sippin beer, to be enjoyed and savored, as I am doing, got it in a St. Bernadus chalice as well, ...Whoa HO!

2.6/5  rDev -38.8%

A - Pours a cloudy copper with a one finger white head that dissipates in a minute. No lacing. Visible chunks of brown sediment float about in the beer. Very dark for a tripel, and chunks are not something I like in my beer. I hope this isn't spoiled. The flecks of sediment are a really, really big turnoff.

S - Dates, barley, molasses, apples and a bit of citrus. Smell is alright, the citrus clashes with the molasses and dates, but individually they are all pleasant odors.

T - Tastes very strongly of barley and sweet molasses. Nothing else except when the sweetness turns into a ascerbic aftertaste. It isn't that bad. But it really isn't that good.

M - Ugh. It is thin, carbonation is biting on the tounge (even though it doesn't foam or bubble like it is intensely carbonated) and leaves a film in my mouth. Sure, it quenches my thirst, but at what cost?

D - Either this is a bad bottle and this tripel spoils amazingly well, which I doubt (bottled 2004), or this is simply not a beer I enjoy. I have yet to taste a tripel that I would not choose over St Bernardus.

Golden orange with a big ol white head. Light floral and honey aromas. Spices also. Grassy and citrus flavors abound (I said abound). Well carbonated. Dances across the tounge. Touch of alcohol in the finish. Very nice beer. Would recommend to anybody, especially at he 3.50 per bottle price tag.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Appears a glowing orange/amber with a solid 1 finger white head that lasts for a few minutes and fades into a soapy white film and collar. Lots of sticky lacing.
Smell is of delicate pear, vanilla, and fruit coctail, making for the classic tripel aroma.
Taste is the same as the wonderful aromas with a classic taste.
Mouthfeel is smooth with a mild fruit and alcohol bite.
Drinkability is decent. Slight alcohol presence keeps it from being better than just good.

3.63/5  rDev -14.6%

A nice coppery-tan with much haze. Creamy head dies quickly to a creamy film. A smell of sweet fruit is present but light. Flavor starts out with some light fruit and slight bitterness, and an even smaller hint of ripe sourness. Beer turns dry with a slight flavor of alcohol. Very lively carbonation and moderately light body, add to a pretty good drinkability. There are tripels I would rather drink, but I will have this again!

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured a cloudy golden color with a medium head that left nice lacing. In the aroma I detected some orange, wheat, yeast and some slight coriander. Taste started off with fruits such as orange, lemon, starfruit... at that point it became carbonated and there was a dry, woody taste. Very little alcohol was noticible.

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Pours almost completely clear golden straw color with about a half inch of mousy head at first pour. There are lots of bubbles rising throughout to maintain the head. The appearance is cleaner than just about any other Tripel I have ever had, though the head was a bit small compared to others.

Aroma: Lots of Lemony citrus and some sweet candy-like flavors. It is really clean with some noticeable spiciness. As it warms, you can start to pick out a HINT of the alcohol, but the beer is blended so well that you really have to look for it.

Taste: Damn this is a good beer! Where do I begin? There is a host of citrus and fruit that starts out the profile. There is a boatload of carbonation that makes this beer practically swirl around on your palate. The flavor just washes over you leaving you with your palate singing, and rendering one almost unable to pick out individual flavors. The citrus starts out ruling the profile, but this flavor makes a subtle retreat to let some malty/sugary sweetness make it through. Finally the finish is only slightly dry from the attenuation and carbonation. Excellent!

Opinion: I believe that this is the best true to style Tripel that I have tried. It is an excellently crafted beer, and one that everyone should try at least once even if you don't like Belgian styles.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Part of a 4 pack bought at AJ's for 14.99 at the end of July.

Poured a cloudy golden color, three finger head which has retained a half inch, highly carbonated with floating belgian yeast-very interesting! Nose is of fermented fruits and spices. Taste is a nice complex medly of fermented fruits and peppery spices, wheat, and hops. Mouthfeel is lively on the palate and fairly full and pleasing for the style. Drinkability is perfect as one cannot detect the high abv in this brew. Totally smackable brew!

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a cloudy amber/orange, huge white head forms, goes slowly, impressive lacing until the end, nice legs. Smell is malty sweetness, honey, spices, apple. Taste is yeast, sweet malt, honey, wheat, spices, light fruits. The mouthfeel is very full, medium high carbonation, very clean and very dry. An excellent beer.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured a dark honey/deep orange colour with a faint bubbly head. The head was gone before I could put away the empty bottle. This is my second bottle of this beer and I could have sworn the last one retained at least a little bit.

The smell is pleasant, belgian yeast, champagne, sweet but light fruits.

There is a whirlwind of different tastes in a mouthfull of this beer. A sweet toffee like flavour, a tart citrus, a sour and bitter finish. The ending lingers on the back of the tongue and leaves a warm alcohol trail. While the tastes range from just okay to great, the overall effect is good.

The mouthfeel is what one expects from a tripel. It is almost sticky, and has a fairly aggressive carbonation. I wouldn't say drinkability is a strength for this one. It isn't hard to drink, but I don't see myself drinking more than one.

I can't say that I've hit on a tripel I would call my favorite yet. I had high hopes for this one, but it hasn't stood out for me.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Hazy amber, with a diminishing head. Lots of carbonation, just a pleasure to look at. Smell is spicy, yeasty, and has that Belgian malt odor going for it. This tasted more like a strong pale with a dry spiciness that barely let any fruit flavors come through. Mouthfeel is medium and satisfying. An easy to drink beer...recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a hazy golden peach color with a tall white head that leaves sheets of lace on the walls of the glass as it slowly recedes. Nose is quite floral with aromas of honeysuckle and perfume as well as a strong spiciness with notes of coriander, clove, and white pepper. Taste begins with tropical fruit, bubblegum, and a bit of medicinal phenols followed by some bready and yeasty notes. Flavors of raw honey and vanilla make an appearance towards the end with a bit of warming alcohol in the finish. Wow, very nice beer here.

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Presentation: Poured a translucent (cloudy) orange-amber color into a tulip glass. A rapidly rising head immediately sprang up, and retention was great throughout the drinking of this beer. It showed a rather high amount of carbonation right off the bat. The scent was one that blended grapes and red wine, with slight floral (rose) hints. There was a heavy malt presence in the scent, and it enveloped my nose. This could be one of the best beer aromas I've ever encountered.

Tasting: A slightly citric flavor came across on the front, followed by sweet malty characteristics, finally concluded by the warmth of alcohol. It was a sweet, sipping beer with a virtually nonexistent hop profile. There was a strong bread-y aftertaste as well that lingered in my mouth. The beer itself had a medium body. It was wonderfully complex in that every flavor that I had expected from the style came across. There are some beers that I've seen that use an overpowering hop presence to mask imperfections in the beer, but this beer blended all its elements extremely well. There was no harshness on the tongue, despite the high alcohol content. It rolled across very easily. This beer gets better as it gets a little warmer, too.

This beer is highly drinkable as a sipping beer, ideal for a wine and cheese hour or for dinner. The higher alcohol content may catch some by surprise, mainly because it is so well hidden by the flavors. At $3.99 per 11.2oz bottle (where I found it), this beer is meant for special occasions (or tastings at home, where I reviewed it). Definitely one of the best that I've ever tasted.

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out in a St. Bernardus glass with aa cloudy orange color with floaties and a big head of thick meringue. Leaves a nice lace as it fades, but not quite as much as the Abt 12.

Smell is spicy with citrus fruit and a big yeast presence.

Taste is rich with the same yeasty, doughy flavors, orange and lemon, even some sugary sweetness. The spices are all there and couple with some hoppiness to give it a nice little bite. The overwhelming maltiness gives it a really solid backbone, and I really enjoy the taste.

The mouthfeel is solid and robust, and it really complements the big flavor well.

Overall: Great tripel that has a huge flavor. St. Bernardus still hasn't done me wrong.

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

Color of a field of wheat. Thick, cannot see through the beer. Aroma is slightly sweet with hints of banana. This rain is ruining my mood for this beer. I am trying to be fair in my review. I have another bottle and will have to re-review it later. Flavor is pretty complex. Picking up some wheat, some breadyniess, and then there is a whole bunch of fruit flavors with a big fat banana as the predominant fruit. Lots of yeast. A very bubbly beer. Almost sletzer like until I let it sit for a few. Full body with an almost creamy feel to the finish. Goes down smooth enough--but like I said this weather is not for this beer.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Came in a small 330 ml brown euro-type bottle, part of a 4 pack, green label with the happy St. Bernardus monk holding up a golden chalice of the tripel found inside. 8% abv listed on the label.

Pours out a hazy nectarine sunset, capped by a billowing smooth sponge white cloud of head with serious retention. Bread, fruit, spice and yeast in the aroma, most noticably I can pick out pepper, ginger and tropical papaya, even a touch of sliced pineapple along with ripe green apple peels. The more I inhale this, the more sugary sweet the fruit characteristics become, putting me into a tropical tiki drink frame of mind.

Bubblegum. That's not the first flavour to hit me on my first sip, but as so much wells up from this tripel to be tasted at once, that's the initial lasting impression I received. Things then tend to smooth out a bit. Bready at first, but like light French breakfast pastry, an underlying butteriness that is then topped by light spices and sweet juicy fruits in the middle, but then drying out towards the finish, picking up the characteristics of bitter grains, nut shells and light herbal hops.

The mouthfeel is light, but smooth and creamy in its texture, refreshing for an ale of its abv%. I'll be stocking up on more of this, great to see this in Alberta finally. Definitely a tripel that must be tried at least once for the sheer experience of it. I have a warm glow as I finish my glass, and I don't think it's just the 8% talking in that regard.

St. Bernardus Tripel from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV