Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

St. Bernardus Tripel - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus TripelSt. Bernardus Tripel

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,223 | Hads: 2,908
3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Served in a chalice, poured from an 11.2oz bottle...

A: Golden Brown, medium sized bubbles, traces of sediment. No lasting head, small amounts of lace left.

S: Hints of alcohol, fruit, but nothing overpowering

T: Very smooth, warming alcohol on the back end.

M: Great carbonation on this one, it did not take away from the flavor, but was present throughout.

overall, a great beer, would buy this one again.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

served in a maredsous goblet, not too cold. has a lovely apricot color, and is opaque. nice white collar that fades quick but stubbornly retains the whole way down. minimal lacing. nose is sweet and very fruity. little alcohol and mild clove notes. first taste is a little tart up front with some biting alcohol, but nothing extreme. mellows out nicely, pears are prevalent as are apples. sweet. got some coriander in there. finishes fairly clean with a lingering alcohol "mintyness". not overly complex, actually pretty straight forward for a tripel. mouthfeel is exceptional. very smooth, great carbonation, but not enough to distract from the flavors going on. an easy drinking trip for sure.

Served in a Unibroue tulip

A: Golden with a white frothy head leaving traces in the wall as it retreats. Almost no visible carbonation.

S: Citrusy, hoppy, sweet, bread.

T: Same citrus and bitterness I got from the smell that leaves a coat in the mouth, a tad watery for my taste.

Overall a very good beer from people that have been doing this for a long time.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

750 ml corked bottle poured into my St Bernardus chalice (same one thats on their website so i suppose this is the right glass). I think this is my ~800th time to drink this beer but first review. St Bernardus might be my favorite brewery, so pardon my homerism if I get carried away. Pours a cloudy yellow with some light orange/gold tints. A massive pure white beautiful head that has some serious retention. Smell is pears, yellow grapes, sugar, candy sugar, citrus. Taste is very smooth, sugar, very bready, biscuit, light citrus and fruit. Mouthfeel is thin, but perfect and creamy. I dont know how they subdue the intrusive phenols (contrary to something like Maredsous which is also a wonderful beer) so well and make such a clean high ABV beers and this is no exception. A masterfully crafted beer. I might not be typical but I can session these. This is one damn fine beer and perhaps the finest commercial example of the style. YUM! The perfect way to wind down a long day before Monday night football.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a Rochefort goblet

A- Golden orange with soft, light brown tints. One finger of white head. Looks great.

S- Belgian yeast, orange, wheat, some spice, a hint of coriander, flowers, hops. This is a great full yet light smell.

T- Very carbonated when it hits the tongue. Lots of orange and wheat with lingering taste of yeast and some hop bitterness. Honey, slight clover, white grape which seems to be in this and also the Prior 8. Great stuff.

M- Medium leaning towards a little heavy. The taste hits full on after the carbonation settles but then it slides off easily. Very bubbly and belch-inducing.

D- I could probably drink a 4 pack of these quickly and easily, which is bad since it's 14.99 for a 4 pack.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into my lovely St. Bernardus goblet

Appearance: Cloudy clove honey. Bountiful white head. Beautiful as usual.

Smell: Lots of banana dominates. Also a good amount of yeasty clove. Awesome smell from world class yeast strains.

Taste: Creamy bitter bananas. Also the taste of lemons without being particularly tangy though it does have some sourness on the back. Good amount of spiciness, mainly clove and black pepper. Super complex and very good, though the tastes are not my favorite.

Mouthfeel: More than medium body, great carbonation, and a bit mouth drying. Nice.

Overall: Very great brew that is expertly crafted asd I expect from St. Bernardus. The gift set has been one of the best beer investments I have ever made.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

11.2 oz bottle dated 6/2/17. Poured in St. Bernardus chalice. Golden color, with medium head that doesn't last very long. Smells very pleasant; sweet fruits and spices. The taste is great, even though mild alcoholic hints are evident. Citrus flavor, with other fruit notes. Carbonation is on the high side. Overall, very good.

3.92/5  rDev -7.3%

Light flowery aroma with some lighter straw and fruit aromas.

Pours a clear golden color with lots of head.

The taste is mostly sweet but has a light bitter bite on the end.

Very light bodied and effervescent.

This was quite pleasant not too sweet like so many tripels, the dryness in the finish i was also fond of.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

My pleasant, balding friend greets me with a smile, gaily offering a glass of the same tripel I have poured into an inappropriate piece of glassware, a Dick's Last Resort stein.

750ml from a local Indian Package store. $8.99.

Cork pops easily and smells a lot like champaigne. Yeasts are very evident with the first whiff from the neck of the bottle. Head is fiercely bubbly and dissipates in under a minute. Loads of lemon in the scent and in a sip of the head, which is very pleasant. Body is murky from yeast and pretty dense carbonation.

Taste is lemony tart to the point where my novice tongue has difficulty describing any of the undertones. It's a good, friendly, taste though. Tart, but not as dry/tart as a white like hoegaarden. Definitely just the right amount of sweetness. Also, definitely not as spicy as allagash's tripel, which was more towards the duvel side of things. It strikes far fewer points on my palate than similar brews, but I find this rather refreshing.

The final pour adds a lot of the yeast base to the glass, which churns with larger chunks of brewing flotsam than before. Texture is noticeably thicker and creamier. Slight warming has little effect. Still very refreshing.

I'll definitely come back to this brew at some point, but most likely in a 12oz bottle. You don't have to pay too much attention to what's going on. Definitely a good starter brew for the genre, if you want to introduce a friend to a rather neutral tripel/belgian without all sorts of fancy spices to describe.

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Strange one this. Not what I'd really call a Tripel, more like a strong Witbier. Lots of yeast from start to finish with a chalky creaminess to match. Very smooth with a slightly sweet but dry finish.

I get the feeling that this beer is as confused about its identity as I am! Still a great tasting beer but not what I was expecting from a tripel.

Update: This one has grown on me since my first tasting (over 3 years ago!) and has now become a regular staple in my household. The missus loves it and I now agree. I don't know if it has changed or I have (probably the latter?) I find myself drinking tripels quite a bit these days and I never refrigerate them. This one I just crack open and pour straight from the cellar into a tulip glass. A classic tripel and probably the best from St.Bernadus!

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a medium yellow straw color with a nice firm white head with a bit of cloudiness. The scent is green apple speice and a touch of banana. The taste follows the nose quite closely but again is more intense than I expected from this beer. Seems to be a characteristic of St. Bernardus. Great carbonation and very cleansing. Excellent tripel.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful carbonation! Yellow/orange. Thick white head that goes away quickly but hardly leaves lacing or film. Murky. I have to say, the gorgeous color and carbonation of this tripel almost make up for the lacking in retention.

I smell that Belgian yeast right away. A tad metallic. Light notes of pineapple or apricot. Maltiness. Faint hops.

Definitely taste that apricot right away and to a lessor extent pineapple. Breadiness and bitterness from the hops (more than I was expecting, but I like). I can just barely detect a metal taste :( . Tiny bit of alcohol but that is very well hidden. Perfect amount of malt sweetness. Cloves.

Mouthfeel is medium to thick and is very smooth. The carbonation keeps it crisp and lively and there is just a touch of effervescence from the alcohol.

Pretty good tripel from this brewery, though I enjoyed their dubbel more. This one was very well balanced. Will probably buy again.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Released into the glass with a slightly opaque early-harvest orange, birthing forth with a touch of lively carbonation. The head wanes after a minute or two to well under one finger's width, light lacing that quickly sinks down the sides of the glass to settle into a sea of off-white with fine bubbles reflecting some of the liquid's apricot glow. Refreshing and crisp on the nose, this brew is playful on my tongue and quite light for its 8% abv - the alcohol well concealed amidst summer's slightly tart apples. An excellent drink to be sure, and thankful that I have one bottle left!

4.57/5  rDev +8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a St. Bernardus goblet: Thick white foamy head that faded slowly into a thick white top and sticky lacing over a cloudy orangish liquid with noticeable yeasties settling to the bottom. Smells like a triple should with nothing in particular standing out: yeast esters/tropical fruit and perfectly balanced hops and malt. Tastes like banana kiwi, citrus, slightly more bitter than sweet (which is good!), slightly spicy. It's soft and fuzzy, like a delicious pillow in your mouth (which is also a good thing!). Better than some trapist triples. Overall, a fantastic beverage from a fantastic brewery.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%

Been wantin to try this beer. I chilled it slightly and popped the cap off with my trusty machete.

A- it pours out a nice cloudy orangish gold. pretty bubbly stuff. white head.

S- belgian yeast strain and slight light fruits.

T- typical belgian yeast, but the other flavors were harder to describe. maybe light fruits.

M- crisp and clean

D- easier than others but still a sipper.

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a cloudy golden blonde with particulate caught in a sort of static dance, permanently placed in equilibrium throughout the beer. A tall retentive head, about 1/2 the height of the liquid persists for a couple of minutes before fading. Mild aromas of clear candies, with hints of spice and perhaps some very subtle fruits come off the pour. Similar to the aroma, the taste is creamy, full of the clear candy with hints of spice and fruit--very mild throughout. Not much complexity, which is to be expected for the style; however, compared to the St. Bernardus siblings, I find myself left wanting more. Moderately full in the mouth and smooth through the swallow and finish, leaving a slightly sweet aftertaste. It remains true to the Tripel, but lacks some character, best to stick with the Abt 12 and Prior 8 IMO.

3.53/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a. nice bright golden color. nice white lacing head.

s. fruity and bright smell, citrusy and a bit floral at times.

t. nice. i cant help but compare this to my recent experience of the abt 12, which is superb. this is not so impressive, the fruit and hops have a nice complexion, the floral notes linger with the bitterness, but its a little too mellow for what i expected.

m. smooth, nothing really comes out at me to note. its nice, but nothing special.

d. pretty drinkable all in all, not really appealing, but it has its moments. overall its just not a complete beer to me, its lacking major flavor connections and enhancements.

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

I must come clean up front, I love St Bernardus beers, and shockingly this beer out of the bottle is darn near as good as draft in Bruge. I purchased a 4 pack at Total Wine (glad to see they are beginning to carry good variety of bottled 4 packs of Belgians) and this Tripel is excellent. The pour is delightful, not overly carbonated, really an almost perfect head. The golden haze is classic for a really good tripel. The initial taste is neither sweet nor too dry, just right, without the lemony aftertaste of most Belgian blondes which have their own category. The smell is as good as it gets for tripels, great balance, hint of banana/caramel, but really a clean and fine flavorful beer and the moderate alcohol makes this Tripel worth a try. I plan to enjoy this particular brew many times in the future, especially now that I don't have to buy the 22 oz expensive model every time. I am occasionally torn about the overall price of Belgian beer and I will be glad when our stateside brewers catch up, which they will. Unfortunately we are a bit short on monks supplying out of the back monastery entrance, but our micros more than hold their own. The St Bernardus range of beers is wonderfully thought out and each has a reason, taste and character for it's existence. So I am happy to include this with their Abt 12/8/6 and Wit.

3.52/5  rDev -16.8%

A - a cloudy ruddy amber color with a very large head that sticks around for the whole experience

S - a fruity (pear?) aroma with some definite spice from clove and coriander

T - very biscuity and sweet like a candied fruit with notes of spice and slightly peppery hop taste with a dry finish

M - strong complex body with prominent notes of alcohol.

D - drinkable with an interesting complex flavor, but definitely not my favorite tripel

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very good beer. Not my all time favorite, but very good. This beer is better than Pior 8, but not by a long shot. Good head Amber color. Complex flavors of a good Tripel.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

I haven't had a Tripel in years. Found this one at Lukas Licquors in Ellisville, MO.

Poured a golden, lighter than expected, tan color with a beautiful thick, creamy, long lasting head.

Very fragrant, sweet and fruity scent, almost honey-like with a hint of spice.

Astonishingly rich, sweet, and malty flavor. Finishes much cleaner than I ever imagined. Alchohol is there but, barely makes its flavor known. It seems to me that in these higher alcohol beers that the key is to make the taste of the alcohol as unnoticable as possible. If this is the case then this beer does a superb job.

Some of my past involving Belgian Ales:
I tried some Belgian Ales about 5 years ago. At that time I totally disrespected beer. I tried to chug any that was put in front of me in order to become intoxicated. Needless to say I was greatly missing out on the enjoyment of beers such as this. One must sip a Belgian Tripel to enjoy the complexities and find all the little subtleties therein. I am so glad that I started respecting beer and was able to discover a new world of good beer such as this one. Thank you Beer Advocate.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

The beer pours a hazy golden color with a minimal head and not much laching.

Small note of alcohol with some spice/clove type aromas.

Great drinking beer with good mouth feel and a small drying effect on the pallet.

An all around enjoyable almost session type beer even with an 8% ABV.

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Beautiful Belgian pour into a tulip. Everlasting head.

Smells of light citrus macerated in spiced candi syrup. I can't get enough of this aroma; it's divine and easily worthy of a 5.

Again, the fruit and spice combine with perfect caarbonation and a honey note to make this one of the worlds best beers imo.

Mouthfeel is near perfect with a lingering bite that cleans the palate and begs for more of the nectar like aroma and front notes.

Near perfect beer experience.

Update: Just had this beer again. How amazing it is to get a beer of this quality at your local Bev-mo. I'm so glad to see the awesome reviews on this site. What a treat. More memorable than their Quad IMO.

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%

Best before date of 16/08/10. I've been cellaring this one for about a year and a half.

A bit less fruity than a fresh bottle, but equally delicious and perhaps more "complete". Very harmonious and complex.

Oh so creamy, with a nice faint caramel note. Great balance and long finish. The yeast flavors are front and center, but filled out nicely by malty notes and a touch of Styrian Goldings.

A unique and classic tripel; one of the very best.

If I could afford it, I would be drinking this every night.

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

750ml with best buy on side label and notes on the back "can be aged up to 5 years "

A- hazy light amber with alot of depth as the upper part of the glass is darker and the botton lighter. not much head or lacing.

S- slightly phenolic banana minimal esters yeasty and malty.

T- banana, vanilla, smooth dry malt and a little alchohol.

M- maybe mine is a fluke but I felt the mouthfeel was a little too carbonated I stored at 50 degrees in my beer ref. which may have contributed. and med-full body.

d- very drinkable i enjoyed very much.

St. Bernardus Tripel from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV