St. Bernardus Witbier - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus WitbierSt. Bernardus Witbier

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-06-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Witbier Alström Bros
dragonx2099

02-26-2013 06:21:07 | More by dragonx2099
yas

05-30-2012 05:28:56 | More by yas
goochpunch

1.55/5  rDev -62.8%

Best before 9/28/07.

Pours out like a cloudy, melted creamsicle. Head is small and disappears quickly. Lots of protein chunks. The yeast stands out in the nose but there isn't much spicing, I find. I get some stone fruits and pale wheat. Flavor is of a Dino Flinstone Vitamin with a salty/mineraly finish. Coriander is around there somewhere, but the chewable vitamin overtakes everything. Mouthfeel is light to moderate and rather flat. Mouthfeel is kind of slick from the soft tasting and mineraly water. Drain pour.

05-20-2007 00:17:30 | More by goochpunch
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

2.05/5  rDev -50.8%

There is minimal head on this dirty-ditch-water beer. This is maybe the most unappealing color I've ever seen. The aroma is very hefe-like with huge bubblegum dominating over clove, lemon, and pepper.

The flavor is opressively heavy with some kind of mineral taste. once someone said Flintstones vitamins", it was very hard to think of anything else when drinking this beer. That is totally what it taste like. I get some spice and orange pith in the background. Aftertaste is awful...like I've been chewing notebook paper to make spitballs.

Mouthfeel is flat, save the mineral astringency. I found this beer almost undrinkable, and wit is one of my favorite styles. It was interesting, but not pleasant. I'm wondering if we got a bad bottle, but the freshness date said it was good for a few more months. Guess I'm just not into this.

05-28-2007 15:39:13 | More by JudgeRoughneck
kojevergas

2.33/5  rDev -44.1%

33cl bottle served into a St. Bernardus Goblet. Reviewed from notes.

A: No head at all. Cloudy non-transparent lemon-yellow colour.

Sm: Lemon citrus ester hops are muted by present. Aroma is mild in strength.

T: Muted lemon-orange esters and bland barley. Very muted and simple for a witbier. Where's the flavour? Badly built and of mediocre balance.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Far too wet; borderline watery.

Dr: Easy to drink, but of poor quality. ABV is average. Nothing special here.

09-15-2011 05:13:03 | More by kojevergas
dsegel

2.5/5  rDev -40%

03-11-2013 13:39:26 | More by dsegel
ThreeWiseMen

2.7/5  rDev -35.3%

Picked this up at Nona's in SLO. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours out nearly white. Once settled, the body very cloudy, and a strong pale yellow in color (kinda like lemonade). Light carbonation can be seen around the sides of the glass. Head is initially large, white, and fizzy, but fades fast.

Smell: Lemon peel, clove, sweet cream, and sour Belgian yeast. Sweet and smooth.

Taste: Mouth-puckering sourness: all lemon and yeast. Neither Jorge nor myself enjoyed this too much. The sourness seemed to fade out as the session progress, but maybe it was just the taste-buds being numbed by the high carbonation and lemon-like sourness. Good amount of spice and some doughy malts as well. Tastes like a cheap lemonade mimosa. Medicine-like.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and actively carbonated. Kinda chalky, kinda creamy. Lots of tingling results from the carbonation. Flavor leaves the mouth pretty quickly, leaving only remnants of lemon.

Drinkability: This bottle may have been tainted. First off, I stored it on it's side but set it upright prior to the pour, allowing any yeast that may have been there to mix into the beer. Second, this bottle came from Sidewalk Market (a.k.a. Nona's) in SLO, which is a breeding ground for sunlight-damaged beers. All that said, I thought this tasted like a cheap lemonade mimosa. No, thank you.

05-06-2009 03:58:04 | More by ThreeWiseMen
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

2.75/5  rDev -34.1%

No big deal. Yeasty, thin and boring, no depth, or complexity. Lightly spicy and citrusy, yeasty, lightly tart, with a real stale, stagnant character, really nothing special at all, the flavour is one dimentional, the flavour is very thin, and well, just plain boring. Its drinkable though.

09-10-2003 01:18:43 | More by rastaman
His_Royal_Hoppiness

United Kingdom (England)

2.75/5  rDev -34.1%

10-05-2012 22:13:22 | More by His_Royal_Hoppiness
Enola

2.78/5  rDev -33.3%

I really am trying hard to like this style. But it just ain't working. Code on bottle says 03 03 08 whatever that means. I do not compare wheats to others styles when I reveiw, rather I compare them to other wheats to be fair.

This beer is a lighter orangish yellow color that kindly resembles a cider. There is a few floaters. Minimal head and no lacing. The smell is somewhat sweet but it still smells like bailed hay. The taste is grassy and a little citrusy. The mouthfeel is very grassy and there is a lasting wheaty aftertaste. Not a beer that I would try again. When compared to other wheats I have had, this is average.

09-03-2006 17:31:50 | More by Enola
yapez

Maryland

2.78/5  rDev -33.3%

Thick mouthfeel, creamy. Lemon tartness, bitter orange zest, and some corriander. Compared to similar beers it seems to be lacking in spice. Finished with a funky, chalky, dry yeast flavor. Undesirable aftertaste. There are better witbiers out there that cost significantly less. I won't be buying this one again.

03-09-2010 04:03:05 | More by yapez
petrochile

2.78/5  rDev -33.3%

When I went to Three Floyds I was able to drop in the Liquor Stop and saw a 4 pack of this brew, which I was excited to see. I have not seen it at Sam's or Binny's in Chicago.

A: I poured my in a pint glass where the top half is almost twice the size in diameter in the base. The beer has a pale tan tone that is very murky, with the yeast sediment drowning at the bottom. Kind of a light wooden color that would be found on a hull of an antiquated ship.

S: A light wheat yeast smell emits from this witbier, and slightly sweet. My first reaction to the smell reminds me of a cheese danish from Starbucks, but not as overwhelming.

T: There was no real taste in this beer, I am not sure if I just had a bad bottle or not. The wheat taste I am common to was very subtle and shy, and I could barely taste it. Very bland and dull

M: Nothing special here, my tongue and my mouth were only interested in trying to find the flavor I thought this beer had.

D: Since mine was lacking taste, I could not see myself having more.

I am definitely disappointed in this beer, as it never asserted itself to me.

08-25-2005 03:31:50 | More by petrochile
jar2574

Missouri

2.8/5  rDev -32.9%

Nice fluffy white head, on top of an extremely cloudy yellow beer. Less carbonation than you might expect.

Sweet smelling. Lemon and sugars.

I might have gotten a flat beer. Absolutely no carbonation. Less zest than I'm used to in a witbier. A Hoegaarden would blow this away. There's just not much in the taste department. Just wheatiness, no better than an average wheat beer.

It's not offensive. But considering the source, I'm very disappointed. Might try again, if I'm convinced later that this was just a bad batch.

04-16-2008 00:44:48 | More by jar2574
tjthresh

Indiana

2.88/5  rDev -30.9%

Very delicate aroma. No real spice to speak of, but there is some orange peal. Appearance is that of you typical wit. Very murky yellow/orange, color of peach nectar. Frothy white head. The flavor is subtle all around. Some phenolics. Nothing stands out. Doughy over the tounge. CO2 is light for style. Very quenching.

08-26-2005 13:02:45 | More by tjthresh
Chico1985

2.95/5  rDev -29.3%

11.2 oz into my flute/tulip hybrid of sorts. Best by date is 2/24/12.

Pours a very light hazy yellow/tan, white head turns to a swirly cap and thick ring leaving a bit of lacing.

Smell is a bit chemically, almost minty for some reason. Band-aids, toothpaste, and lemon?

Taste seems a bit off too...still getting a chemical vibe, spicy tart lemon and wheat. Seems closer to an American pale wheat. When the bottom yeast gets poured in, nice bread notes appear in the aftertaste, or it could just be from warming. Tastes a little sour at times.

Mouthfeel seems pretty thin, carbonation is medium.

Quite expensive for a witbier, this was a disappointment, St. Bernardus is usually quality stuff.

08-20-2010 03:55:06 | More by Chico1985
Segelstrom

2.96/5  rDev -29%

A - nice clear golden pour w/ lite/little head

S - light, nothing noteworthy

T - wheat beers are just not my thing. the tartness is not becoming. not full body and rich

M - so so

O- I will grant you this my not be a fair review. I dislike wheat beers -- stouts and IPA's are my thing

03-10-2013 23:20:03 | More by Segelstrom
DarkLordPsycho

02-20-2013 03:45:31 | More by DarkLordPsycho
TPSReports

Alabama

This mild looking and tasting beer pours a cloudypale straw color with a tight white, rapidly dissipating head. After only 30 seconds or so, only a slight white film remains over the surface of the brew.

Smells are light and citrusy.

Taste is simpleand mildly citrusy. There is a slight funk or stale tate in the finish. I opened this beer after working in the heat this evening looking for something cool and refreshing to quench my thirst. This beer was not it.

That being said, there is no hint of alcocol -- it would be easy to pound several of these puppies if you didn't think about the aftertaste.

07-06-2005 02:16:29 | More by TPSReports

Kansas

01-17-2012 15:37:55 | More by Kahlerbock
BeerMark

Alabama

After paying $5.99 for my bottle of St. Bernardus Witbier at World Market in Montgomery, I was expecting something fantastic. What I got was an overpriced witbier that didn't taste any different than any other witbier out there. It tasted good with wheat accents but the sticker shock was more than I could stand. I think I'll stick with the Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat or the Sam Adams White Ale. This one's just another overpriced and overrated import.

12-09-2009 01:59:32 | More by BeerMark
brez8791

09-11-2012 00:59:43 | More by brez8791
Travlr

District of Columbia

Pale yellow with fluffy white head forming a plateau. Aroma of bananas and citrus, with a slightly bitter edge. Tastes of bitter grapefruit and bread with hints of black pepper. A fairly standard wheat beer. Refreshing enough, but not the brewer's strength.

10-31-2009 23:29:26 | More by Travlr