2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

St. Bernardus Witbier - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus WitbierSt. Bernardus Witbier

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-06-2003)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Witbier Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,041 | Reviews: 589 | Show All Ratings:
goochpunch

1.55/5  rDev -62.8%

Best before 9/28/07.

Pours out like a cloudy, melted creamsicle. Head is small and disappears quickly. Lots of protein chunks. The yeast stands out in the nose but there isn't much spicing, I find. I get some stone fruits and pale wheat. Flavor is of a Dino Flinstone Vitamin with a salty/mineraly finish. Coriander is around there somewhere, but the chewable vitamin overtakes everything. Mouthfeel is light to moderate and rather flat. Mouthfeel is kind of slick from the soft tasting and mineraly water. Drain pour.

05-20-2007 00:17:30 | More by goochpunch
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

2.05/5  rDev -50.8%

There is minimal head on this dirty-ditch-water beer. This is maybe the most unappealing color I've ever seen. The aroma is very hefe-like with huge bubblegum dominating over clove, lemon, and pepper.

The flavor is opressively heavy with some kind of mineral taste. once someone said Flintstones vitamins", it was very hard to think of anything else when drinking this beer. That is totally what it taste like. I get some spice and orange pith in the background. Aftertaste is awful...like I've been chewing notebook paper to make spitballs.

Mouthfeel is flat, save the mineral astringency. I found this beer almost undrinkable, and wit is one of my favorite styles. It was interesting, but not pleasant. I'm wondering if we got a bad bottle, but the freshness date said it was good for a few more months. Guess I'm just not into this.

05-28-2007 15:39:13 | More by JudgeRoughneck
kojevergas

2.33/5  rDev -44.1%

33cl bottle served into a St. Bernardus Goblet. Reviewed from notes.

A: No head at all. Cloudy non-transparent lemon-yellow colour.

Sm: Lemon citrus ester hops are muted by present. Aroma is mild in strength.

T: Muted lemon-orange esters and bland barley. Very muted and simple for a witbier. Where's the flavour? Badly built and of mediocre balance.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Far too wet; borderline watery.

Dr: Easy to drink, but of poor quality. ABV is average. Nothing special here.

09-15-2011 05:13:03 | More by kojevergas
ThreeWiseMen

2.7/5  rDev -35.3%

Picked this up at Nona's in SLO. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours out nearly white. Once settled, the body very cloudy, and a strong pale yellow in color (kinda like lemonade). Light carbonation can be seen around the sides of the glass. Head is initially large, white, and fizzy, but fades fast.

Smell: Lemon peel, clove, sweet cream, and sour Belgian yeast. Sweet and smooth.

Taste: Mouth-puckering sourness: all lemon and yeast. Neither Jorge nor myself enjoyed this too much. The sourness seemed to fade out as the session progress, but maybe it was just the taste-buds being numbed by the high carbonation and lemon-like sourness. Good amount of spice and some doughy malts as well. Tastes like a cheap lemonade mimosa. Medicine-like.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and actively carbonated. Kinda chalky, kinda creamy. Lots of tingling results from the carbonation. Flavor leaves the mouth pretty quickly, leaving only remnants of lemon.

Drinkability: This bottle may have been tainted. First off, I stored it on it's side but set it upright prior to the pour, allowing any yeast that may have been there to mix into the beer. Second, this bottle came from Sidewalk Market (a.k.a. Nona's) in SLO, which is a breeding ground for sunlight-damaged beers. All that said, I thought this tasted like a cheap lemonade mimosa. No, thank you.

05-06-2009 03:58:04 | More by ThreeWiseMen
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

2.75/5  rDev -34.1%

No big deal. Yeasty, thin and boring, no depth, or complexity. Lightly spicy and citrusy, yeasty, lightly tart, with a real stale, stagnant character, really nothing special at all, the flavour is one dimentional, the flavour is very thin, and well, just plain boring. Its drinkable though.

09-10-2003 01:18:43 | More by rastaman
petrochile

2.78/5  rDev -33.3%

When I went to Three Floyds I was able to drop in the Liquor Stop and saw a 4 pack of this brew, which I was excited to see. I have not seen it at Sam's or Binny's in Chicago.

A: I poured my in a pint glass where the top half is almost twice the size in diameter in the base. The beer has a pale tan tone that is very murky, with the yeast sediment drowning at the bottom. Kind of a light wooden color that would be found on a hull of an antiquated ship.

S: A light wheat yeast smell emits from this witbier, and slightly sweet. My first reaction to the smell reminds me of a cheese danish from Starbucks, but not as overwhelming.

T: There was no real taste in this beer, I am not sure if I just had a bad bottle or not. The wheat taste I am common to was very subtle and shy, and I could barely taste it. Very bland and dull

M: Nothing special here, my tongue and my mouth were only interested in trying to find the flavor I thought this beer had.

D: Since mine was lacking taste, I could not see myself having more.

I am definitely disappointed in this beer, as it never asserted itself to me.

08-25-2005 03:31:50 | More by petrochile
Enola

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I really am trying hard to like this style. But it just ain't working. Code on bottle says 03 03 08 whatever that means. I do not compare wheats to others styles when I reveiw, rather I compare them to other wheats to be fair.

This beer is a lighter orangish yellow color that kindly resembles a cider. There is a few floaters. Minimal head and no lacing. The smell is somewhat sweet but it still smells like bailed hay. The taste is grassy and a little citrusy. The mouthfeel is very grassy and there is a lasting wheaty aftertaste. Not a beer that I would try again. When compared to other wheats I have had, this is average.

09-03-2006 17:31:50 | More by Enola
yapez

Maryland

2.78/5  rDev -33.3%

Thick mouthfeel, creamy. Lemon tartness, bitter orange zest, and some corriander. Compared to similar beers it seems to be lacking in spice. Finished with a funky, chalky, dry yeast flavor. Undesirable aftertaste. There are better witbiers out there that cost significantly less. I won't be buying this one again.

03-09-2010 04:03:05 | More by yapez
jar2574

Missouri

2.8/5  rDev -32.9%

Nice fluffy white head, on top of an extremely cloudy yellow beer. Less carbonation than you might expect.

Sweet smelling. Lemon and sugars.

I might have gotten a flat beer. Absolutely no carbonation. Less zest than I'm used to in a witbier. A Hoegaarden would blow this away. There's just not much in the taste department. Just wheatiness, no better than an average wheat beer.

It's not offensive. But considering the source, I'm very disappointed. Might try again, if I'm convinced later that this was just a bad batch.

04-16-2008 00:44:48 | More by jar2574
tjthresh

Indiana

2.88/5  rDev -30.9%

Very delicate aroma. No real spice to speak of, but there is some orange peal. Appearance is that of you typical wit. Very murky yellow/orange, color of peach nectar. Frothy white head. The flavor is subtle all around. Some phenolics. Nothing stands out. Doughy over the tounge. CO2 is light for style. Very quenching.

08-26-2005 13:02:45 | More by tjthresh
Chico1985

2.95/5  rDev -29.3%

11.2 oz into my flute/tulip hybrid of sorts. Best by date is 2/24/12.

Pours a very light hazy yellow/tan, white head turns to a swirly cap and thick ring leaving a bit of lacing.

Smell is a bit chemically, almost minty for some reason. Band-aids, toothpaste, and lemon?

Taste seems a bit off too...still getting a chemical vibe, spicy tart lemon and wheat. Seems closer to an American pale wheat. When the bottom yeast gets poured in, nice bread notes appear in the aftertaste, or it could just be from warming. Tastes a little sour at times.

Mouthfeel seems pretty thin, carbonation is medium.

Quite expensive for a witbier, this was a disappointment, St. Bernardus is usually quality stuff.

08-20-2010 03:55:06 | More by Chico1985
Segelstrom

2.96/5  rDev -29%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A - nice clear golden pour w/ lite/little head

S - light, nothing noteworthy

T - wheat beers are just not my thing. the tartness is not becoming. not full body and rich

M - so so

O- I will grant you this my not be a fair review. I dislike wheat beers -- stouts and IPA's are my thing

03-10-2013 23:20:03 | More by Segelstrom
TPSReports

Alabama

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This mild looking and tasting beer pours a cloudypale straw color with a tight white, rapidly dissipating head. After only 30 seconds or so, only a slight white film remains over the surface of the brew.

Smells are light and citrusy.

Taste is simpleand mildly citrusy. There is a slight funk or stale tate in the finish. I opened this beer after working in the heat this evening looking for something cool and refreshing to quench my thirst. This beer was not it.

That being said, there is no hint of alcocol -- it would be easy to pound several of these puppies if you didn't think about the aftertaste.

07-06-2005 02:16:29 | More by TPSReports
Travlr

District of Columbia

Pale yellow with fluffy white head forming a plateau. Aroma of bananas and citrus, with a slightly bitter edge. Tastes of bitter grapefruit and bread with hints of black pepper. A fairly standard wheat beer. Refreshing enough, but not the brewer's strength.

10-31-2009 23:29:26 | More by Travlr
BeerMark

Alabama

After paying $5.99 for my bottle of St. Bernardus Witbier at World Market in Montgomery, I was expecting something fantastic. What I got was an overpriced witbier that didn't taste any different than any other witbier out there. It tasted good with wheat accents but the sticker shock was more than I could stand. I think I'll stick with the Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat or the Sam Adams White Ale. This one's just another overpriced and overrated import.

12-09-2009 01:59:32 | More by BeerMark
huricrane47

Oklahoma

3.05/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a little different than most white beers that i have had because its lacks sweetness. Instead it gives us a tart lemon and orange taste that leaves a tangy finish. It also has a smell that is similar to a fresh cut orange. The color is a cloudy gold and white with a white head. This beer is pretty pricey and i would probably spend my money on blanche de chambly, hoegaarden, white rascal, ect.. because they have more flavor and are cheaper. Although, it is good to try if you want a dryer white beer that is made from the brewer of hoegaarden. This beer is okay.

12-06-2009 01:45:56 | More by huricrane47
yeahnatenelson

3.08/5  rDev -26.1%

Appearance -- Pours a well-hazed straw hue with a slim sudsy head that soon fizzles into a white ring. Great hue, woeful head

Smell -- Hmm… Cracked wheat, mild acetic tartness, sea salt, gentle spicing and citrus zest. If it weren't for the spice aroma I would swear this was a Berliner Weisse. I'm intrigued.

Taste -- Okay, back to the usual. Gentle malt, cracked wheat, lemon zest and coriander, mineral-rich waters, mild yeasty tartness. A bit ho-hum, really. Not very dynamic.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with mild prickly carbonation. It's a tad under-carbonated.

Drinkability -- I'm not sure if this bottle was long in the tooth or what, but this did not live up to the reviews I read beforehand nor the pedigree of St. Bernardus.

05-29-2011 21:59:58 | More by yeahnatenelson
mariposafan

Wisconsin

3.08/5  rDev -26.1%

Murky gold with a short, and short-lived, white head. The aroma is pleasant enough - citrusy, a little grainy, a little spicy and with a Belgian yeastiness - but there just isn't enough of it.

The flavor is similar to the aroma but more potent, but there's also a soapiness that detracts from the overal. It's a pity because otherwise it's a fine witbier, a little more citrusy than I prefer but well within the style.

The mouthfeel shines - smooth with just a little zing from the carbonation. Very nice.

Overall I'm disappointed - the soapy taste is just too strong for me to get past.

11-06-2011 22:22:19 | More by mariposafan
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.09/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This brewing company is known for their Abt 12, a beer that is apparently the same (or based on the same) recipe as the Westvleteren 12, the "best" beer in the world. I have had the Westvleteren 12, and it's just OK. Cool story, but requires too much work to obtain a bottle. It has only been available in the United States once… and it was way out of my price range. We have one bottle of the Westvleteren 12 in the cellar, and one day, when we drink it, we will grab a bottle of St. Bernardus Abt 12 and a bottle of Trappistes Rochefort 10 and do a blind taste test. They are all Belgian quads, a style that I have yet to fall in love with. They are good, don't get me wrong… but they sometimes bore me. Anyway, I have not tried the Wit from St. Bernardus, but the BeerAdvocate bros gave it a 99… so it better be good! As much as I don't like quads, I really dislike wheat beers. They just tend to bore me. I blame Blue Moon! Let's see what Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV has to offer in this bottle. Cheers!

In the Glass: The beer actually looks good in the glass. Not as much orange, more a nice hazy yellow. The head was thick, too. A VERY impressive pour for a beer that I don't generally care for. Oh, and last night I helped teach a beer class at Total Wine & More in Scottsdale. It was fun, and we featured ALL canned beers. The AmeriCAN beer festival is coming up in a few weeks. We will be there with the full report! This beer also produces a really nice sticky lace. I hope it smells good!

Nose: Holy coriander. Wow, that is harsh. I expected this to be more fruity… again, thanks to Blue Moon. I know Blue Moon is not a good example of the style, but still. Just to be clear, I did not fruit my beer! Blue Moon, when ordered in a bar, is typically served with an orange wedge. In Europe they use a lemon wedge, but still… fruit!

A second whiff and all I get is coriander. It's OK… but nothing to write home about. I would love to meet those BeerAdvocate bros just to chat about what they like in a beer.

Flavor: Not as much coriander as I expected. It is a bit too carbonated, but finished smooth. Again, not sure why this impresses so many people… because it's just OK. Nothing against the brewery, as they are a great example of Belgian beers… but man, this is just not my style. I am sure this is a good example of a traditional witbier… but again, for $3.49 I could buy a much better (maybe even bigger) beer. The burp didn't really impress me, either.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel here is nice, thick, and creamy. But there are a few too many bubbles for me. I did, on that sip, switch the beer around a little bit in my mouth. I got a blast of lemon zest there, but it quickly turns back to the spicy coriander that I just can't get away from. I wonder if a few ice cubes, yes ice cubes, would bring this beer down a notch on the spice. A lot of beers are served over ice in Europe. Not this one, in particular… but I feel this would be a good one to ice down.

Aftertaste: There isn't a big aftertaste here. The spices stick around, but leave me with a subtle drying finish requiring me to take another sip. I will say, about this style, if you are new to craft beer, this isa good/safe way to start. Nearly every brewing company makes a wheat/white beer. So if you are new to craft beer, start here. Funny story… last night in the beer class, a guy likes the Maui Bikini Blonde Ale more than anything we tried. He would LOVE this beer! Oh well, glad I got to try this. I wouldn't buy this again, but it was fun learning about the Pierre Celis connection to this brewery/beer. Cheers, people!

04-26-2013 22:23:19 | More by rickyleepotts
clvand0

Kentucky

3.1/5  rDev -25.7%

I like the other Bernardus brews, so I figured this one was a necessity to try. Pours a very cloudy yellow color with a very small head (odd) that falls quickly and doesn't leave any lacing behind. I expected more head and lots of lacing. Oh well. The aroma has slight hints of lemon and spice, but there is not much of any of it and the malts take a presence here. Very thick mouthfeel. Seems that there is a lot of biscuit malt in this one. Perhaps I grabbed a bad bottle, but this just didn't do it for me. Not enough wit character in here.

02-24-2005 19:53:34 | More by clvand0
mrmanning

Ontario (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev -24.9%

Bottle at Chaucer's. Pours cloudy hazy yellow with a good frothed bleach white cap. The aroma is full of yeast and lactic components, which surprising. Lots of funk, some fruity esters, very yeasty, a touch of clove. The flavour profile is very tart citrus, some hints of banana, spices, but lots of funky sour yeast. Finishes creamy, in fact almost too creamy, with lots of funky yeast in the finish.

11-03-2009 14:23:44 | More by mrmanning
brewdoc75

3.13/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured into a chalice

A: Cloudy yellow/orange. Strong carbonation. Nice, fluffy white head, dies fast.

S: Some tart, some sweet. A hint of spice and grass. Some haylike character. All of it really subtle though.

T: Tart and slightly sweet. Spicess are there, but very faint. Corriander and pepper is what I get. Some fruitiness as well. The sweetness is honeylike and faint. I do get a lot of grainy flavors and tartness mostly. Really unexciting overall as everything is very faint.

M: Light bodied. Crisp, clean and finishes w/ a hint of acid on the tongue.

D: An average to slightly above average witbier. Better than Blue Moon, but doesn't stand up to some of the others (Allagash White is my litmus). I may try it again if I can get it fresh, but otherwise I will pass.

05-01-2010 23:09:59 | More by brewdoc75
crnipeter

Slovenia

3.2/5  rDev -23.3%

Pours effervescent, hazed pale-straw body topped by thin, airy, semi-stable white head forming sheets of firm lace eventually broken into bands and patches sliding down the walls. Aroma is pleasant pale-malt sweetness with bananaish notes, grainy wheat, zesty citrusy orngeish fruitiness, evident coriander and mild spiciness in the background that could originate from either spices other than coriander, or hops. The beer is gently effervescent yet smooth and creamy thanks to the wheat-ingredient.
The flavor is very soft with tartness resembling mild lactic sourness, unmalted wheat, coriander, tinge of orangeish fruitiness and refreshingly tart, dry finish.Hoppiness is nearly non-existant. (330 ml, freshness date 29. September 2011, into the St. Bernardus goblet).

04-18-2011 21:20:17 | More by crnipeter
BMoney575

3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

Sampled on 7-9-08
Best before 02-02-09

Pours a clear pale gold, with lots of little bubbles that rise to the top to maintain a very pleasant white head.

Smell is light and fruity, with a little bit of Belgian sourness. An outstanding combination.

Taste is quite disappointing. Very Belgian at first, but then thin and slightly metallic, and bready on the finish.

Mouthfeel is poor, way too thin and flat.

Drinkability isn't very good, the flavors aren't that enjoyable.

Overall, not nearly as good as I was hoping or expecting.

07-09-2008 22:33:58 | More by BMoney575
tronester

Oklahoma

3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

Pours a hazy golden with a creamy white head. Smells of old bakers yeast. Taste is light citrus up front, followed by a light grainy bread middle, a hint of bubblegum, and a yeasty phenolic finish. Mouthfeel is smooth, average carbonation. Drinkability is meh, by far the least impressive St. Bernardus beer i've had. For the price this is totally not worth it IMO.

02-07-2011 04:11:39 | More by tronester