St. Bernardus Witbier - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus WitbierSt. Bernardus Witbier

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 01-06-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Witbier Alström Bros

After paying $5.99 for my bottle of St. Bernardus Witbier at World Market in Montgomery, I was expecting something fantastic. What I got was an overpriced witbier that didn't taste any different than any other witbier out there. It tasted good with wheat accents but the sticker shock was more than I could stand. I think I'll stick with the Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat or the Sam Adams White Ale. This one's just another overpriced and overrated import.

3.01/5  rDev -27.6%

Pale yellow with fluffy white head forming a plateau. Aroma of bananas and citrus, with a slightly bitter edge. Tastes of bitter grapefruit and bread with hints of black pepper. A fairly standard wheat beer. Refreshing enough, but not the brewer's strength.

3.02/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A - nice clear golden pour w/ lite/little head

S - light, nothing noteworthy

T - wheat beers are just not my thing. the tartness is not becoming. not full body and rich

M - so so

O- I will grant you this my not be a fair review. I dislike wheat beers -- stouts and IPA's are my thing

3.05/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This mild looking and tasting beer pours a cloudypale straw color with a tight white, rapidly dissipating head. After only 30 seconds or so, only a slight white film remains over the surface of the brew.

Smells are light and citrusy.

Taste is simpleand mildly citrusy. There is a slight funk or stale tate in the finish. I opened this beer after working in the heat this evening looking for something cool and refreshing to quench my thirst. This beer was not it.

That being said, there is no hint of alcocol -- it would be easy to pound several of these puppies if you didn't think about the aftertaste.

3.05/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This brewing company is known for their Abt 12, a beer that is apparently the same (or based on the same) recipe as the Westvleteren 12, the "best" beer in the world. I have had the Westvleteren 12, and it's just OK. Cool story, but requires too much work to obtain a bottle. It has only been available in the United States once… and it was way out of my price range. We have one bottle of the Westvleteren 12 in the cellar, and one day, when we drink it, we will grab a bottle of St. Bernardus Abt 12 and a bottle of Trappistes Rochefort 10 and do a blind taste test. They are all Belgian quads, a style that I have yet to fall in love with. They are good, don't get me wrong… but they sometimes bore me. Anyway, I have not tried the Wit from St. Bernardus, but the BeerAdvocate bros gave it a 99… so it better be good! As much as I don't like quads, I really dislike wheat beers. They just tend to bore me. I blame Blue Moon! Let's see what Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV has to offer in this bottle. Cheers!

In the Glass: The beer actually looks good in the glass. Not as much orange, more a nice hazy yellow. The head was thick, too. A VERY impressive pour for a beer that I don't generally care for. Oh, and last night I helped teach a beer class at Total Wine & More in Scottsdale. It was fun, and we featured ALL canned beers. The AmeriCAN beer festival is coming up in a few weeks. We will be there with the full report! This beer also produces a really nice sticky lace. I hope it smells good!

Nose: Holy coriander. Wow, that is harsh. I expected this to be more fruity… again, thanks to Blue Moon. I know Blue Moon is not a good example of the style, but still. Just to be clear, I did not fruit my beer! Blue Moon, when ordered in a bar, is typically served with an orange wedge. In Europe they use a lemon wedge, but still… fruit!

A second whiff and all I get is coriander. It's OK… but nothing to write home about. I would love to meet those BeerAdvocate bros just to chat about what they like in a beer.

Flavor: Not as much coriander as I expected. It is a bit too carbonated, but finished smooth. Again, not sure why this impresses so many people… because it's just OK. Nothing against the brewery, as they are a great example of Belgian beers… but man, this is just not my style. I am sure this is a good example of a traditional witbier… but again, for $3.49 I could buy a much better (maybe even bigger) beer. The burp didn't really impress me, either.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel here is nice, thick, and creamy. But there are a few too many bubbles for me. I did, on that sip, switch the beer around a little bit in my mouth. I got a blast of lemon zest there, but it quickly turns back to the spicy coriander that I just can't get away from. I wonder if a few ice cubes, yes ice cubes, would bring this beer down a notch on the spice. A lot of beers are served over ice in Europe. Not this one, in particular… but I feel this would be a good one to ice down.

Aftertaste: There isn't a big aftertaste here. The spices stick around, but leave me with a subtle drying finish requiring me to take another sip. I will say, about this style, if you are new to craft beer, this isa good/safe way to start. Nearly every brewing company makes a wheat/white beer. So if you are new to craft beer, start here. Funny story… last night in the beer class, a guy likes the Maui Bikini Blonde Ale more than anything we tried. He would LOVE this beer! Oh well, glad I got to try this. I wouldn't buy this again, but it was fun learning about the Pierre Celis connection to this brewery/beer. Cheers, people!

3.08/5  rDev -26%

Appearance -- Pours a well-hazed straw hue with a slim sudsy head that soon fizzles into a white ring. Great hue, woeful head

Smell -- Hmm… Cracked wheat, mild acetic tartness, sea salt, gentle spicing and citrus zest. If it weren't for the spice aroma I would swear this was a Berliner Weisse. I'm intrigued.

Taste -- Okay, back to the usual. Gentle malt, cracked wheat, lemon zest and coriander, mineral-rich waters, mild yeasty tartness. A bit ho-hum, really. Not very dynamic.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with mild prickly carbonation. It's a tad under-carbonated.

Drinkability -- I'm not sure if this bottle was long in the tooth or what, but this did not live up to the reviews I read beforehand nor the pedigree of St. Bernardus.

3.1/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a little different than most white beers that i have had because its lacks sweetness. Instead it gives us a tart lemon and orange taste that leaves a tangy finish. It also has a smell that is similar to a fresh cut orange. The color is a cloudy gold and white with a white head. This beer is pretty pricey and i would probably spend my money on blanche de chambly, hoegaarden, white rascal, ect.. because they have more flavor and are cheaper. Although, it is good to try if you want a dryer white beer that is made from the brewer of hoegaarden. This beer is okay.

3.11/5  rDev -25.2%

I like the other Bernardus brews, so I figured this one was a necessity to try. Pours a very cloudy yellow color with a very small head (odd) that falls quickly and doesn't leave any lacing behind. I expected more head and lots of lacing. Oh well. The aroma has slight hints of lemon and spice, but there is not much of any of it and the malts take a presence here. Very thick mouthfeel. Seems that there is a lot of biscuit malt in this one. Perhaps I grabbed a bad bottle, but this just didn't do it for me. Not enough wit character in here.

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

Murky gold with a short, and short-lived, white head. The aroma is pleasant enough - citrusy, a little grainy, a little spicy and with a Belgian yeastiness - but there just isn't enough of it.

The flavor is similar to the aroma but more potent, but there's also a soapiness that detracts from the overal. It's a pity because otherwise it's a fine witbier, a little more citrusy than I prefer but well within the style.

The mouthfeel shines - smooth with just a little zing from the carbonation. Very nice.

Overall I'm disappointed - the soapy taste is just too strong for me to get past.

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured into a chalice

A: Cloudy yellow/orange. Strong carbonation. Nice, fluffy white head, dies fast.

S: Some tart, some sweet. A hint of spice and grass. Some haylike character. All of it really subtle though.

T: Tart and slightly sweet. Spicess are there, but very faint. Corriander and pepper is what I get. Some fruitiness as well. The sweetness is honeylike and faint. I do get a lot of grainy flavors and tartness mostly. Really unexciting overall as everything is very faint.

M: Light bodied. Crisp, clean and finishes w/ a hint of acid on the tongue.

D: An average to slightly above average witbier. Better than Blue Moon, but doesn't stand up to some of the others (Allagash White is my litmus). I may try it again if I can get it fresh, but otherwise I will pass.

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Bottle at Chaucer's. Pours cloudy hazy yellow with a good frothed bleach white cap. The aroma is full of yeast and lactic components, which surprising. Lots of funk, some fruity esters, very yeasty, a touch of clove. The flavour profile is very tart citrus, some hints of banana, spices, but lots of funky sour yeast. Finishes creamy, in fact almost too creamy, with lots of funky yeast in the finish.

3.19/5  rDev -23.3%

Pours a hazy golden with a creamy white head. Smells of old bakers yeast. Taste is light citrus up front, followed by a light grainy bread middle, a hint of bubblegum, and a yeasty phenolic finish. Mouthfeel is smooth, average carbonation. Drinkability is meh, by far the least impressive St. Bernardus beer i've had. For the price this is totally not worth it IMO.

3.22/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours effervescent, hazed pale-straw body topped by thin, airy, semi-stable white head forming sheets of firm lace eventually broken into bands and patches sliding down the walls. Aroma is pleasant pale-malt sweetness with bananaish notes, grainy wheat, zesty citrusy orngeish fruitiness, evident coriander and mild spiciness in the background that could originate from either spices other than coriander, or hops. The beer is gently effervescent yet smooth and creamy thanks to the wheat-ingredient.
The flavor is very soft with tartness resembling mild lactic sourness, unmalted wheat, coriander, tinge of orangeish fruitiness and refreshingly tart, dry finish.Hoppiness is nearly non-existant. (330 ml, freshness date 29. September 2011, into the St. Bernardus goblet).

St. Bernardus Witbier from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV