St. Bernardus Witbier - Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

St. Bernardus WitbierSt. Bernardus Witbier

Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV visit their website

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 01-06-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Bernardus Witbier Alström Bros
Reviews: 624 | Hads: 1,384
4.16/5  rDev +0.5%

A-hazy yellow color with a nice white head and good lacing

S-wheat, malt, yeast, citrus, cloves

T-bready malt, wheat, yeasty, orange, cloves, coriander, hint of tartness

F-medium body with nice lively carbonation, smooth

O-nice belgian wit, good flavor and could drink this a lot, even better in summer (307 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

330ml bottle, served in a tulip glass.

Translucent straw and proper apple juice-like colour, small off-white head fizzled away mostly, but
leaves slightly stretchy rings on the glass. Sweet and orange pith/zest aromas, wheat,
slightly grassy with a little funky yeast. Well balanced similar flavours, really refreshing beer. More sour in the fruity sense than the smell, there's also some slight pepper. Medium body, smooth, with a nice effervescent finish.

I haven't had many Witbiers, but I wouldn't think you could go too far wrong with this one. Good value too (for good Belgian beers) when you can find it here. (619 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle that came in St. Bernardus 6 mixed pack. Severed in goblet.

I could see the cloudiness in the bottle when I held it up to the light. Looks golden and cloudy like you would expect from an unfiltered Wit.

Smells of wheat with a hint of salt and small hint of must.

Tastes...funky but not bad funky if you know what I mean. I did not expect that. Hits me at first that this is sort of like a weak sour. Has notes similar to Westbrook Gose does in middle of it's flavor ride. Taking more of a taste, I taste wheat and feel the nice carbonation and then taste slight bit of cherries all in the first second and then it switches to the weak alka seltzer/musty cellar like water taste that slowly just passes away with an elegance till only the mouth feel persists. Interesting beer. Sours are growing on me just because the flavors are so interesting but they are not flavors I can say I totally like yet but like the experience and this reminds me of a sour.

Mouth feel is very nice as it is somewhat glossy or viscous. Does not finish dry but lingers nicely.

Over all I gave it a little higher because it is well constructed, the flavors move along nicely and I know there are lots of fans that love these flavors. If someone offered me one I would be delighted and enjoy it but I would not spend my hard earned cash for what it sells for again when I could buy something else I enjoy more. Good flavorful experience but not exactly my flavors or favorite style. (For reference my favorite styles are big sweet, Belgian Strong Dark Ales, Bruins and Dubbels) (1,573 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Presentation: 330mL brown bottle, served in an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Two finger, fluffy white head, with a cloudy, deep gold color.

Smell: The stronger aromas are of malt, banana, coriander and a faint anise scent in the background.

Taste: Very balanced sweet and sour taste. The more prominent notes are of malt, yeast, anise and clove.

Mouthfeel: It's very smooth and creamy. It goes down easily and has medium carbonation.

Overall: Very well balanced, a great beer all around. It's a very filling and satisfying. so not something you want to have two or three of. It's a beer to sit down with for a while, enjoy the nuances in it and have a good time. (672 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours very light straw/honey color with about a finger of head. Nice lacing.

Smell is cloves, wheat, and a hint of orange. Very sweet.

Taste is a lot more sour than the smell would suggest. Lemon and orange zest, and some clove.

Smooth beer, very easy drinking. Good carbonation. Good beer. (296 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a light cloudy yellow with a creamy white head that lingers for a bit.

Smell reminds me first of cheese, there is a lot of malt, and some citrus, orange and lemon. There is also a hint of coriander, pepper, and apple.

Starts out malty, then citrus notes kick in, mainly orange. There is a bit of pepper as well, and the finish reminds me a bit of spiced apple cider.

The carbonation makes it tingle on the way down, and is a bit on the thick side.

I don't have a lot of experience with this style, but it this beer is any indication, will be seeking it out more. It goes down easy, yet is nice and complex. Would be a nice beer on a hot day, but a good one to savor, as there is a lot going on here. I could easily drink more of this. (744 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle: standard brown 330mL bottle with a pretty tacky-looking Belgian macro label.

Appearance: as witbiers go, this looks pretty spot on. A hazy mid straw-yellow with a two-finger head that drops quickly to a rocky one-finger.

Aroma: a bit sweeter than the usual witbier - Belgian yeasts per the norm, but also lemon citrus, sweet wheat and some earth as well.

Taste: more fruits here than on the nose - definite green apple, lemon zest, orange and that sweet wheat up front. Some spices at the back - cardamon and coriander. One of the better wits I have had to date, but considering it is over AU$140 a case, it had better be.

Aftertaste: the sweetness falls away somewhat to be replaced with those Belgian yeasts and spice.

Mouth feel: medium in body with plenty of fine carbonation. This is a beer that goes down very easily.

Overall: one of the better witbiers I have had to date - well-balanced with citrus, Belgian yeast, earth characters and wheat. Not sure it is worth over AU$140 a case (2013), but one every now and then would be fine. (1,054 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a nonic. Pale straw-colored yellow pour with a small but persistent head, a bit of lacing, and a subtle nose that reminded me of fresh-cut hay, with citrus notes.

Very refreshing, drinkable, and well-balanced. Citrus hops cut with a malty sweetness. I could have a few of these without getting filled up. Nothing outstanding, but a solid summer session brew. (383 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

From the 12 fl. oz.bottle dated 28-02-14. Sampled on June 25, 2013.

Wow! Where do I start? It has a milky pale yellow pour with a foamy white head that lingers.

The aroma emits all of those classic Belgian aromas such as pale malts, Belgian candied sugar, orange, pear, or another citrus note, and downplayed spices.

The body is light to medium and kind of on the smooth side.

The taste is far more sweet than I might have expected with roasted pale malts, Belgian sugars, citrus, and a finish that is low in bitterness. The sweetness is the leader. Witbiers are about midway on my list of favorite styles but I could drink this one regularly. (648 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 33 cl bottle into a St. Bernardus Watou branded chalice

Pours a hazy straw golden with a pure white fluffy one and half finger head. Frantastic retention, plenty of lacing. Light citrus notes, coriander, and just an edge of earthiness on the nose. Smooth and velvety on the palate with just a touch of creaminess. Opens with gentle fruit notes, with some citrus zest joined by clove, and some earthiness. Yeast makes it presences well-known middle palate with most some grain and ample malt. Finishes with some light tart notes. One of the better witbiers available and wonderful beer overall. (608 characters)

This is the gold standard of witbiers. The taste is smooth and intense, balanced and pure perfection. Is it worth 3X the price of Blue Moon? Yes. WillI keep a stash for regular consumption? No, but then I am a dark beer fanatic and only drink witbier for refreshment. A must try to experience the potential of the style. (321 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +18.6%

St.Bernardus
Wit

LOOK: Cloudy brew with a bright gold color. Bubbly, sparkling head formed and receded to just a fine covering. No real lace, a small amount of sediment. Looks the part and I included the yeast purposely.

SMELL: Yeasty and wheaty , but the yeast has so much character. Grape, raisin, musty basement and lemon are all very present in a strong aroma. This is perfect to style, and worthy of being Pierre Celis Signature Selection as the bottle proudly states.

TASTE: Juicy flavor of apple, tart grape, orange peel, bit of funk. Tart to the sour glands, but with a depth of dusty malt character. Funk, coriander, and malts adding a balancing sweetness. Very faint herbal and grassy hoppy bitterness. Has a vague, almost smoked flavor, closer to well done toast. Clove and peppercorn emerge later in the flavor profile.

FEEL: Medium to full bodied, with a sour tang. The finish is appetizingly dry and crisp. Champagne like carbonation. A perfect feel on a Belgian classic. It just does not get better than this feel.

OVERALL: Worthy of being named "Best Witbier in the World". Easily the best example of the style I have encountered. The complexity from the yeast alone was great, but the rest of the flavors were also great. Exactly what a Belgian White should be. Seek this out if you enjoy Wheats, Sours, or Belgian Ales. Absolutely phenomenal wit. (1,370 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle into a Saint Bernardus glass

A: Pours a light, hazy golden color with a finger of fluffy head that quickly falls to a thin film. Average lacing.

S: A strong wheat aroma dominates with cardamom and a bit of lemon zest. A touch of clove.

T: Wheat is still quite strong, but I get quite a bit of orange zest, almost as if there is a slice of orange in the beer. The beer stays dry with a nice spiciness.

M: Medium thickness with strong, creamy carbonation.

O: A nice Witbier, but I'm honestly not sure I could tell this from the BMC versions. It is a bit spicier and drier I believe, but it's similar for sure. Maybe my palate just isn't quite there for Witbier. Either way, I'd take an Allagash White over this any day. (735 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This brewing company is known for their Abt 12, a beer that is apparently the same (or based on the same) recipe as the Westvleteren 12, the "best" beer in the world. I have had the Westvleteren 12, and it's just OK. Cool story, but requires too much work to obtain a bottle. It has only been available in the United States once… and it was way out of my price range. We have one bottle of the Westvleteren 12 in the cellar, and one day, when we drink it, we will grab a bottle of St. Bernardus Abt 12 and a bottle of Trappistes Rochefort 10 and do a blind taste test. They are all Belgian quads, a style that I have yet to fall in love with. They are good, don't get me wrong… but they sometimes bore me. Anyway, I have not tried the Wit from St. Bernardus, but the BeerAdvocate bros gave it a 99… so it better be good! As much as I don't like quads, I really dislike wheat beers. They just tend to bore me. I blame Blue Moon! Let's see what Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV has to offer in this bottle. Cheers!

In the Glass: The beer actually looks good in the glass. Not as much orange, more a nice hazy yellow. The head was thick, too. A VERY impressive pour for a beer that I don't generally care for. Oh, and last night I helped teach a beer class at Total Wine & More in Scottsdale. It was fun, and we featured ALL canned beers. The AmeriCAN beer festival is coming up in a few weeks. We will be there with the full report! This beer also produces a really nice sticky lace. I hope it smells good!

Nose: Holy coriander. Wow, that is harsh. I expected this to be more fruity… again, thanks to Blue Moon. I know Blue Moon is not a good example of the style, but still. Just to be clear, I did not fruit my beer! Blue Moon, when ordered in a bar, is typically served with an orange wedge. In Europe they use a lemon wedge, but still… fruit!

A second whiff and all I get is coriander. It's OK… but nothing to write home about. I would love to meet those BeerAdvocate bros just to chat about what they like in a beer.

Flavor: Not as much coriander as I expected. It is a bit too carbonated, but finished smooth. Again, not sure why this impresses so many people… because it's just OK. Nothing against the brewery, as they are a great example of Belgian beers… but man, this is just not my style. I am sure this is a good example of a traditional witbier… but again, for $3.49 I could buy a much better (maybe even bigger) beer. The burp didn't really impress me, either.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel here is nice, thick, and creamy. But there are a few too many bubbles for me. I did, on that sip, switch the beer around a little bit in my mouth. I got a blast of lemon zest there, but it quickly turns back to the spicy coriander that I just can't get away from. I wonder if a few ice cubes, yes ice cubes, would bring this beer down a notch on the spice. A lot of beers are served over ice in Europe. Not this one, in particular… but I feel this would be a good one to ice down.

Aftertaste: There isn't a big aftertaste here. The spices stick around, but leave me with a subtle drying finish requiring me to take another sip. I will say, about this style, if you are new to craft beer, this isa good/safe way to start. Nearly every brewing company makes a wheat/white beer. So if you are new to craft beer, start here. Funny story… last night in the beer class, a guy likes the Maui Bikini Blonde Ale more than anything we tried. He would LOVE this beer! Oh well, glad I got to try this. I wouldn't buy this again, but it was fun learning about the Pierre Celis connection to this brewery/beer. Cheers, people! (3,637 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A- pale hazy yellow. Big white head
A- coriandee, spice, Lemmon zest
T- Lovely smooth citrus/spiced wheat beer
M- High Carbonarion ended with a really nice smooth and creamy texture
O- Not much bad to say about this one. Strait forward in a good way. very sessionable. Bravo (274 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- pale golden yellow but hazy orange at the same time. Unfiltered.

S- fresh citrus fruits along with freshly baked bread and a hint of spice on the nose. Banana and bubblegum present as well.

T- great belgian yeast flavor, banana, bubblegum, grapefruit rind, bready notes, cloves.

M- moderately carbonated, on the heavy side, crisp, refreshing.

O- My first offering from St Bernardus and I am very pleased with my choice. Great summer beer or even for year round. Extremely refreshing and crisp. Smooth. (511 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nice rocky head of white foam, shows pretty good retention and really nice lacing. Colour is a hazy pale orange, unfiltered wheat. 4.25

S - very full fresh fruitiness. Sweet banana, slight bubblegum, some light yeast in the back. Green apple, and dark malty bread. Some fruity sweetness, and a light lime citrus overtone. Very well intigrated and satisfying. 4.5

T- a light spice prickle before leading to a full sweet malty body, very creamy. Banana milkshake smoothie. Subtle spice and lime notes, a bit sweet and creamy with the wheat influence. Lots of apple and pear fruitiness, some dry coriander in the back. Finish is clean and light, finally a bit of bitterness on the end, slightly earthy with some dry yeast lingering on. 4.25

M - again very smooth. Overall a light and very refreshing wit beer, just some pleasing soft carbonation. With a creamy wheat sweetness leading to a shorter dry finish. 4.5

Such an easy and tasty beer to drink. A very excellent witbier in all respects. Very nicely balanced with some interesting things going on. Great complexity and yet so easy and tasty to drink. I would maybe prefer a bit less sweetness and more hops, the wheat here adds a delicious smooth creamy character. Great beer though. (1,248 characters)

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a brandy snifter. Best before 20 June 2014.

A: Light light head with good lacing tops a milky-yellow paleish, hazy beer.

S: Pleasant, spicy yeast. Typical wit spices (including prominent coriander).

T: A bit tart, which I like, thinnish, lemony, and pleasant. A very refreshing beer, but, again, a typical wit. One of the least flavourful Bernardus.

M: Slightly dry, spicy, puckery, interesting.

O: A solid wit, but unexceptional for the style. Recommended, but not particularly compelling. (526 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

From a 330 ml bottle (dated May 13, 2014) into a pokal.

A-A timid pour produces a monster three-plus finger head. The foam is eggshell in color and sticks around for a bit. The brew is murky and looks like wet hay.

S-Smell is lemon, spices (pepper and coriander), orange zest with a light sweetness. There is a touch of bready, doughy yeast, too.

T-The taste is citrus zest and spice up front with a little wheat tang in the middle, followed by a slightly drying, chalky finish. Nicely balanced, subtle, and drinkable.

M-The feel is lighter bodied and slick up front, with fine, moderate carbonation that dries out on the finish. This brew certainly has the feel figured out.

O-This wit is a great example of the style. As you would expect from a true Belgian, things are balanced while erring slightly on the sweet side. There is no gimmickry or funny business, and none is necessary here to create solid flavors. I would've liked to compare this to the Toyko Wit in a heads-up comparison, because my recollection is that that beer is also quite nice. (1,057 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

Has a brilliantly lively aroma of coriander, orange and a touch of citrus. Quite sweet and spicy. Very nice.

Pours a predictably cloudy golden color with a pretty nice head with good retention in my glass.

Brightly sweet with notes of orange and citrus... It's quite fruity. The coriander is there as well but is restrained when compared to what the aroma was. Also clear it's a wheat beer towards the finish. The sweet seems to carry the day here though with coriander in the back. (486 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: A hazy golden-orange body is surmounted by a thick, dense white head, which retains well. Thick lacing adorns the glass wall in an unbroken sheet. Slight sediment is noted. The carbonation is modest and slow-rising.

Aroma: The aroma presents a dense bouquet of coriander, citrus, and wheat. The citrus notes are reminiscent of unsweetened orange juice, the coriander certainly the most prominent I have ever encountered in any beer I can recall. The wheat offers a sturdy presence, like a rustic farmhouse bread.

Taste: The taste opens with strong notes of coriander and cloves, as well as a very prominent, sweet orange flavor. A distinct wheat bread flavor as present as well, although it is secondary to the other flavors, all of which are far more pronounced than in other examples of the style that I have tried. Finally, the yeast contributes a slight earthy note near the close. Any hop flavors are either quite subtle, or entirely absent.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and very full, velvety.

Drinkability/notes: A magnificent, over-the-top example of the style. Many other examples of the witbier style seem but pale shadows of St. Bernardus Witbier.

Presentation: Packaged in an eleven point two ounce brown glass longneck bottle sealed with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice. (1,322 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

33cl bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice at one of the (terrible) Belgo restaurants in London.

A: Hazy pale orange body with a finger of ultra-fine white head. Ok retention, rather weak lace. Pretty average.

S: Delicate, complex array of orange peel, coriander, wheat, and lemongrass. Pretty much exactly what I want from the style, with its only fault being a slight lack of depth and intensity.

T: Spicy up front, with citrus and grassy notes filling in behing. Clean minerality on the finish. Excellent.

M: Hugely lively, creamy, and fairly light-bodied. Fun.

O: I've been meaning to try this for the longest time, and it was just as great as I expected. Definitely one of the best Witbiers I've ever had.

Cheers! (722 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into my Texels Weizenglass

Murky pale yellow body. plenty of carbonation. gigantic medium bubbled head that is pretty stable. leaves a lacing.

koriander is dominating the nose. some citric notes

typical witbier taste but lacks sweetness. furthermore herbs. some sourness even tartness that sticks to the tongue and almost reminds me of a geuze. little bitterness.

thin to medium body. tickling carbonation. refreshing.

Witbier that does not exaggerate on the spices. That is good. what I miss is the typical sweetness for balance. Not my favorite witbier. (568 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A - nice clear golden pour w/ lite/little head

S - light, nothing noteworthy

T - wheat beers are just not my thing. the tartness is not becoming. not full body and rich

M - so so

O- I will grant you this my not be a fair review. I dislike wheat beers -- stouts and IPA's are my thing (287 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +4.1%

From: Binny's, Champaign, IL
Date: Best by 2014-08-19
Glass: Tulip

St. Bernardus' wit is an excellent example of the style, strongly expressive and well-spiced, exhibiting the full characters of what make this beer remarkably satisfying and easy-to-drink through multiple glasses. While the strong coriander, citrus zest, and wheat malt flavors may be more appropriate for summer drinking, I appreciated them equally well on this cold, wet winter day. My only complaint with this is the price: $4.29 for 11.2oz of a fairly resource-unintensive beer? While excellent, I certainly won't be getting this with any frequency.

Pours a tall, 3cm head of bright, white foam that is made up primarily of small bubbles. The way the bubbles collect and arrange themselves from the rising carbonation resembles a collection of ever-replenishing fish, frog, or insect eggs. Retention of the foam is excellent, lasting many minutes in its decline to a thin cap atop the body of the beer. Lacing is substantial and ever-present, a thick ring around the entirety of the inner glass as the head descends or the beer is drunk. The body is a fairly heavy yellow color, opaque from suspended sediment, with light bringing out pale yellow hues. Carbonation is visible running up the sides of the glass, the opacity limiting visibility from the bottom of the glass, though.

Strong aroma of lemon rind, freshly ground coriander, and smooth and semi-sweet wheat malt.

The taste of the beer is sparkling and bright, with potent orange and lemon zest, freshly ground coriander, hints of grapefruit rind, and a perpetually present, grounding base of wheat malt. Front of palate picks up sweetness, as from wheat and barley malts, along with light coriander and citrus zest (mostly orange, a bit of lemon). Mid-palate finds expressive coriander and orange zest, with a background of sweet wheat malt and hints of lemon zest and yeast. Back of palate picks up some pleasant, crisp, modest bitterness along with grapefruit rind and tart orange zest, continued coriander, and a smooth wheat malt base. Aftertaste is of grounding wheat malts, still expressive coriander, yeast, and citrus rind.

The beer is medium to medium-light in body, with carbonation of medium intensity that foams this up nicely across the palate, without being overly fizzy or harsh. Closes out semi-dry, with little to no residual stickiness across the palate. (2,408 characters)

St. Bernardus Witbier from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV