IPA (India Pale Ale) - Wild Rose Brewery & Taproom

IPA (India Pale Ale)IPA (India Pale Ale)

good

Wild Rose Brewery & Taproom visit their website
Alberta, Canada

Beer added by: MAB on 10-28-2002

Wild Rose IPA (India Pale Ale) is a beautiful copper-coloured ale, rich in caramel malt character and well balanced with plenty of hops. An authentic India Pale Ale, this IPA is handcrafted for the true ale drinker.

Recipe change in 2013 from English to American IPA

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 76 | Reviews: 37
Reviews by Masterkush7:
3.57/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A good ipa brewed close to home. A English style ipa that I like even though I’m a bigger fan of the American style. A good Carmel malt background balances out this ipa that has a nice dark brown color. I enjoyed this brew and will again for that price

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #37 (Feb 2010):

"100% wild by volume," says the neck label. Slightly hazy, golden-colored brew with a healthy, creamy lacing that retains well.

Buttery nose of diacetyl, with a little citrus, minty hops and caramel malt. Smooth, light bodied and a bit thin on the palate. Dry, but slick and buttery, too. Fresh pale malts. Woody, earthy, herbal hop notes, but nothing overly bitter. Watery pine. Mild fruity esters. Dry--very dry--finish, with a mineral aftertaste.

Quite English in its body, flavor and finish. The diacetyl is a bit overwhelming, but overall, this is a refreshingly drinkable IPA that stands out amongst a market flooded with high- alpha acid Double IPA wannabes.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

341ml bottle. During a maelstrom of NHL hockey, NFL football, and WJHC 2009 TV coverage, madly directed by the clicker in my Dad's hand, I needed to go to my happy hoppy place, and I'm in and/or around Calgary, so here we go.

This beer pours a clear medium copper amber colour, with two fingers of foamy, rocky, and somewhat bubbly bone-white head, which leaves a swath of limestone cliff face lace around the glass as things evenly subside.

It smells of punchy grapefruit and orange citrus pith, a further bit of musty lemon juice, a touch of wet pine, and a reserved bready caramel malt. The taste starts with more blended, and quite bitter citrus notes - grapefruit, kiwi, underripe pineapple, and blood orange - a bit of leafy, herbal pine needle, all before being balanced well enough by the grainy, bready, and slightly caramelized malt.

The carbonation is fairly mild, but supportive enough in its bearing, the body a stoic medium weight, and mostly smooth, despite the hop bitterness. It finishes quite dry, the hops gaining an additional grassy nature to fully round themselves out, the balance of this offering taking another minor hit.

A rather fine example of the style, but yet no overt hop bomb, despite the impression I may have just given. It continues to be a frequent go-to beer for me, even since the name and slight recipe change a little while back. I've lost track of the number of times I've picked up a sixer of this brew before going to a party, ski trip, or to see my folks in Calgary. My Calgarian-by-proxy self puts this in the same rarefied Alberta pale ale space inhabited by my adopted town's Alley Kat Full Moon.

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at the brewpub. Golden yellow and lacey, with a lasting though small off-white head. Aroma is only a tad of hops. Medium mouthfeel, a high carbonation. Drinkable, and some hops, but the bitterness can be a lot greater to get it near the average.

3.56/5  rDev -7.5%

A - poured a clear light copper with two fingers of off white head that both retained and laced well
S - the smells are a little too subtle for an IPA. There are some earthy and grassy hops, but the strongest smells seems to be nutty malt
T - earthy hops are nice, the nutty malt is a good balance, and some light grassy notes on the finish, but still a bit too subtle on the hops
M - medium carbonation and a nice hop bitter that dry's out well on the finish
D - although I like a good hop kick, there is enough hop flavours here to test the palate of the average beer drinker but still be enough for the hop heads, and if you enjoy some bitterness it will go down very easy

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

Part of my CanBIF6 box from wordemupg. Thanks!

Wild Rose IPA pours a hazy amber with only a misty cover of off-white foam, leaving a little bit of lacing. I poured pretty hard but this one doesn't seem to produce much head.

The nose seems to be more sweet malt than hops...not a good sign for an IPA. Light, sweet malt and bread with some faint floral hops. Not much smell coming off this one.

The flavour is luckily much better than I was anticipating from the smell. Still quite malty but there are enough hops present to qualify it as an IPA. Light caramel malt supports some decent grassy hopping. This one definitely tastes more English than American. No alcohol presence and the finish is pretty short, not really leaving anything behind. Decent if a little plain. There isn't a bottling date listed on the bottle; I'd hope for this one that it's not at its freshest. The hops are fairly characterless.

The low carbonation (and resulting lack of head) and silky medium body make this one feel almost like a cask ale, which is kind of cool.

This is pretty drinkable but not something to go out of your way to find. If I lived in Alberta I'd probably pick this up now and again. Definitely sessionable.

4.01/5  rDev +4.2%

A- Gave this a fairly hard pour into the glass and was greeted with a frothy, slightly beige in color head that was about two inches thick....from there it settles to a thick cloud like layer over the brew. The color is a mostly clear amber with fine columns of carbonation rising to the top. Lacing is very good here, with an oily looking film of spotty foam clinging to the glass.

S- A well balanced aroma...the hops are at the forefront and smell fresh, but there is an underlying sweet malt smell to counter this. More specifically, the sweetness seems to carry caramel, brown sugar and a yeasty quality. Good marks here for a nice overall profile....possibly just a little more muted than I would like though.

T- Definitely an IPA, with lots of hop bitterness detected on the palate immediately. After this initial thirst quenching flavor, the malt comes through, but not to the point the aromas let on....just more of a modest malt character. The finish becomes bitter again, just more modest and leafy tasting. Not super aggressive which I like....very good overall!

M- Medium/lite in body, with fine carbonation hitting the palate. There is a creaminess to the brew that I like and it helps to keep the flavors sticking to the tongue well....I sense a bit of a viscous film that covers my mouth when swirling this around.

D- Overall I am not offended by drinking this at all...and I'm no hophead by any means. It's quenching, well balanced, hides the alcohol well and would make a perfect mid-summer type of beverage. I'd also think this would compliment spicy Asian and/or Indian cuisine well, as the bitterness would cut through spice rather well. Another well made product by Wild Rose and I will probably get this at some point down the road again. Similar to the old Industrial Pale Ale that WR made!

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Nice copper – not rich or robust or anything – but nice. Bright & clear with lots of rising bubbles, small just off white head. Keeps a solid ring and leaves a bit of lace.

S: Citrusy C-hops. Emphasis on grapefruit – both fruit & rind – so maybe it has some Simcoe too. Pale malt base with plenty of low crystal. US IPA from the late 90s. Very pleasant & good strength.

T: Malts are more pale and biscuit than the nose. Sweetness & caramel are there but less. A hint of grain comes in too. Hops are similar to nose but with more weight on grapefruit rind. Nice rounded c-hops flavor with lots of plentiful bitterness. Not spin the head around, but quite good.

M: Just a frog’s hair over medium body. If it is more, then it is the matched yet stiff CO2 lifting it to make it seem lighter. Only a bit of sticky sugars & malt dextrins, but lots of hop tannins. Firmly hop drying finish.

D: Not imaginative or creative at all, but solid & well done. You won’t be shifting any paradigms, but this gets the job done quite nicely.

3.46/5  rDev -10.1%

Thanks to BigBry for this one.

A: Copper looking beer. Nice head that sticks quite well to the glass. I really this color and the head.
S: Hops. Grapefruit hops. I only get that... :(
T: Grapefruit hops again with some malts in there. The bitterness is nice. I don't get anything more than the hops... a little bit citrus but more grapefruits in my case.
M: Dry, medium body.
D: Easy to drink, this would be a good introductory IPA. Not very aggressive, just enough hops to make a good presence in the mouth. I've seen worse and I've seen better. Average beer which was good to drink!

What amaze me is that craft brewery, even if the beer is ordinary... it is still quite enjoyable... which is not the case for macro... Cheers to the craft brewers out there!

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Served in pint glass at 16-18C (I like 'em warm).

Pours light golden with orange hues, aroma of citrusy hops and delicious english malts. I already know I'm gonna need more. Head rentention is minimal but present, good lacing. Cabonisation on the softer side, not a bad thing at all. Taste, english malts, some caramel lots of bitter hops and aroma hops pull through. I'd call upon this one to introduce people to what IPA is about.

BTW, its a Industrial Park Ale, not a IPA, says so on the bottle ;-)

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%

It poured a lovely coppery gold, perfectly clear, with a bubbly and creamy head that left intricate lacing on my glass. The carbonation bubbles are occasional and individual.

The smell is loaded with floral hops. Underneath the hops, there is some light maltiness, but it's hard to find much that is subtle in here.

The taste is a tad disappointing overall. Very light malty flavours start it out, with some citric brightness. An overall orangey lemony flavour dominates in the middle, with big hops aroma and flavour. Unfortunately, the bitter is practically non-existant. I can't help but wonder if this is intentional in a bottled beer for the masses -- I'm starting to suspect all microbreweries and brewpubs of "Stout Lite Syndrome".

I find the body to be very light as well. It's not the slick, smooth rich beer that I enjoy in my favourite IPAs.

Having said all this, it is extremely drinkable. I mean, I'll have no trouble killing off this 1 litre bottle tonight. The hops aroma is lovely, and the bitter balances the light malt aspect well enough. So it's fairly a balanced beer, I'd say. It's just that it's neither particularly bitter nor particularly malty, and it's not an IPA for me. I dunno. Maybe I'm too picky.

I hear this one's a killer on tap. I'll have to try it out.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

Quick splash of loose, bubbley off-white head. Transparent rustic copper in appearance.

Toasted, almost a bit smokey malt on the nose along with a good dose green grass, citrus and grapefruit. Caramel malt comes out as it warms.

Some bready toasted malt up front in the flavour that quickly gets overwhelmed by dry, grassy herbal hops that then finish with the expected citrus, pine and grapefruit zest. Earthy, toasted notes linger in the aftertase.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel leaning closer to the full side, a bit slick at times, light stickiness on the finish.

One of my regular local go-to IPAs when I'm hankering for a hop fix, I tend to rotate between this and Tree's Hophead. I must say it's good to have Wild Rose's IPA back after the period that it was replaced by the watered down Industrial Park Ale for so long, or at least when the Industrial Park was watered down from the hoppy pleasantness it once possessed. Either way Wild Rose is back on the right track with this one once again.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance - clear, orange color, nice head and lacing, nice looking beer!

Smell - very nice, good aroma hops, nice floral aspect to it

Taste - very hoppy, citrusy, medium to heavy bitterness,

Mouthfeel - not quite as good as it could be, but none the less, not bad.

Overall
I am a big IPA fan, that being said, I did actually really enjoy this brew, over all a nice product.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to wordemupg for this.

Poured fro ma 341ml. bottle.

Appearance: A chilled haze on a light copper body. 3-4 fingers of off-white foam that shows no signs of slowing and has lacing.

Smell: Brown sugar, caramel malt and light hops.

Taste: Biscuity malt, hop resin with a sweet touch.

Mouthfeel: Malt is stronger than the hops with a low bitterness and a bit of thinness in the finish but does have a lingering effect.

Overall: A decent effort. Not a big kick but it's good and satisfying.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I've always thought of Wild Rose products as subpar compared to other small breweries. I saw the Beeradvocate sticker next to a case of this beer last night, and decided it was worth a try!

Pleasantly surprised I'd have to say. I consider myself an IPA hog and this was certainly enjoyable. Not as well balanced as Epic Armageddon, not as hoppy as Smashbomb Atomic, however it was a very sessionable beer.

So far the best Wild Rose product I've tried. Colour was an inviting golden, didn't get to smell it much as the glass was a tall narrow glass. Taste was hoppy, fairly balanced, and didn't have any displeasing undertones. Head remained around until I finished the glass. The finish was enjoyable, it didn't fall flat on it's face or carry on too long.

Worth a drink if you're looking for a session IPA and don't want to spend $5+ a bottle.

3.87/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to Voonder for this one -

Pours light orange amber (tea-like) with a thin off-white head that doesn't last the duration. Minimal thin evidence of lacing sticks.

The smell is of biscuity malt with a citric and floral backing. I'm thinking that in style the backing should be leading the way, but it is pleasant. Smells more like an APA that has not forgotten the hops.

The taste is biscuity and caramelly with a bitter, citric and floral, undertone that pulls through in the finish to get ahead, leaving me satisfied. While the bitter hops lagged behind a bit at the start, they come through ahead in the finishing line, with the malty sweetness rounding it out. The dry, bittersweet finish lingers long enough to be satisfying, as well.
More of an "old school" IPA, or a hoppier APA, or an English IPA with American hops. Whatever, the case may be, it certainly has a nice taste.

While the body could be fuller/creamier/chewier, it certainly keeps above being thin. Certainly, it is smooth. A very easy-drinking IPA, with alcohol being, while not non-existent, reasonably well-covered. Goes down easy enough, for sure, and I could see myself enjoying a 6-pack if it were readily available.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Dark golden color (darker than Keith's IPA). Small, even head, lots of carbonation with thin lacing left behind. Nice, full aroma of the hops, some sweetness and some floral notes. Strong hoppy flavor. Light malty taste perfectly balanced with the hops. Lots of taste, bitter but not super biting and no bad after taste. Another plus from Wild Rose.

4.04/5  rDev +4.9%

I've heard good things about Wild Rose's brews so I picked up a pack with 6 different ones inside. I was in the mood for a hop bomb and the label on this one caught my eye.

Pours a clear, amber color with a half-finger of creamy head that dissipates within a minute or two, leaving some patchy lacing behind. Carbonation looks average. A very hop-forward scent, grapefruit and pine sap; some sweetness. Love the smell, usually beer odour doesn't interest me this much. Like a pine forest after the rain.

Taste follows the smell well; very hop-dominant with grapefruit and pine. There is some malt sweetness underlying this but the hops dominate without being obnoxious. Grapefruit citrus bitterness lingers in the aftertaste long after swallowing giving a very dry finish. Light-bodied; average carbonation allows you to enjoy the flavours. 6% ABV isn't noticeable. If there were more than 2 of these in the pack I'd be tempted to keep drinking.

I am already impressed with Wild Rose and there's still 5 more beers to go. Definitely recommended if you are looking for a great Canadian IPA in the American style. If I see 6-packs of this anywhere, it could become my go-to IPA.

4.02/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a small beer glass.

Appearance - dull copper colour with fast disappearing while head. Virtually no head retention, moderate carbonation.

Smell - aroma of clean malt backed up by the unmistakebly clear hop scents. Slight toffee detected also.

Taste - very crisp, even start. Gives way to a strong hop presence, exactly as the style should have. Nice continuous spicy hop flavour.

Mouthfeel - very short period of straight carbonation activity gives way to spiking hop activity. Once the aftertaste is present it is a pretty smooth finish.

Drinkability - goes down very easy. At 6%, impressively easy. Very enjoyable and decent hop complexity for the style - an excellent choice.

4.01/5  rDev +4.2%

A- This one pours a light copper with 1 finger of white head, some retention, moderate lacing.

S- Sweet malts, floral & citrus hops, toffee. A real nice aroma here!

T- A nice balance of citrus hops and sweet bready malts up front. The finish is bitter and dry.

M- Not much carbonation, medium body, fairly slick and sticky in the mouth.

D- A good example of the style, not a standout, but easy to get down none the less.

Dated:
From: Chris (wordemupg)

A: Dark copper body with light only escaping at the edges of the glass. One finger of white bubbly head which quickly dissipates into nothing. Leaves no lacing.

S: Hops, citrus, getting some maltiness and breadiness in it too. Interesting mix of what seems to be an American and English IPA.

T: Caramel malts and breadiness. Topped with loads of hops and some citrus. Again, tastes like a great mix between the two styles.

M: Medium-light bodied and medium-high carbonation. Leaves a sticky bitter aftertaste which is a little to much for me. No sense of alcohol at all.

D: Thanks again to Chris for this one. It's so easy to drink I couldn't believe how fast I went through it. This is yet another great showcase of what Canada can do. The mixture between what I feel to be American/English IPA is great. Best of both worlds.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

May 16, 2009. Fresh bottle from CanBIF5, c/o the Wildone. This is from their new hop-back.

A: Clear, copper-bronze with a white head, some retention, great lacing.

S: Nice American hop aroma (tangerine & nectarine with hints of pine, grass & floral) with an underlying grainy, biscuity malt.

T: Nice fresh hop flavour: nectarine, tangerine & grassy hops, toffee & biscuity malt with a smooth bitterness. (I'd put the flavour between a 3.5 & 4).

M: Well attenuated moderate body has a little hop acidity and an off-dry finish. Carbonation is on the high side of moderate.

D: Quite drinkable (probably more-so with a little less carbonation).

Original review 10/21/2008.

The label says "Wild Rose I.P.A. India Pale Ale" and has it at 6.0% abv.

A4: Hazy copper with an off-white head; minimal retention, but some lacing.

S4: Nectarine, grapefruit, toffee, nuts & hints of cotton-candy fruity esters. Sublte orange rind and mineral-earthiness. The balanced aroma is between and American & a British IPA... Canadian?

T3.5: The hop flavour isn't intense, but it's well-rounded (grapefruit, piny, grassy, nectarine). North American pale malt flavour (grainy biscuits with hints of toffee). Very slight oxidation (flat cardboard flavour). Decent bitterness. The alcohol doesn't seem that high, it like a really hoppy pale ale.

M3.5: Moderate body & carbonation.

D4: It's not overly engaging, but it's very drinkable

A - Pours a thick bubbly off-white head, clear golden colour, leaving a nice amount of lacing.

S - Sweet citrus, pine needles and cedar sprigs.

T - Bitter off the top, but smooth on the finish. Sweet citrus hops with a caramel malt aftertaste, very nice balance.

M - The bubbly head gave the impression that it might be overly carbonated but it is quite light and smooth.

D - Very drinkable and the slightly higher alcohol content goes unnoticed. Very nice balance of hops and malts. Really tasty and worthy to any IPA fan.

4.01/5  rDev +4.2%

this is my first ever beer review so here it goes.

it pours a nice golden orange colour with about a finger and half of head that eventually dies down to a thin layer which hangs around until the end, it smells fairly light with mostly a citrus and a faint grassy smell, first taste is the citrusy/grapefruit taste of the hops with a bit of a piney taste and then the malts come in with a little bit of caramel sweetness and make for a very well balanced ale, it is nicely carbonated and a tad bit oily, overall it is a very good IPA and a good introduction into the style.

3.01/5  rDev -21.8%

No bottling or 'best by' date, though I'm sure this is an updated recipe. The bottle graphic is new, and the alcohol content is now 6.0%

Freakishly clear, and a very light amber in color. Has a creamy white head & leaves lots of lace.

Smells strongly of hops - lots and lots of grapefruit and a light zesty herbal note. Actually, I can't smell anything else, though I do detect a slightly skunky odor to it.

As far as taste, it's all hops. Lots of grapefruit, some pine. Plenty of hoppy bitterness, too. Hops in the background, hops on the palate, and hops in the aroma. I can't detect much malt or yeast contributions, though there is a distinct biscuit and slight caramel sweetness that initially hits you before the hops take over. Finish is clean. Still, every time I drink this, it just feels like something is 'missing,' and off-balance, though I'm unable to pin it down. I'm unable to determine which hops are used (maybe there are a few different ones). The bitterness has a character that makes me think that the bittering hops are a 'super-alpha' variety, and I don't like the balance between hop *flavour* and hop *bitterness;* the balance in this case being tilted towards the 'bitter' end of the scale

Mouthfeel is actually rather light, and this is a very drinkeable (albeit hoppy) brew.

All in all, I rather like it; though I think it could use a tad more to balance all those hops. Some dextrine, or nutty maltiness would go a long way in my opinion.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »