Microbrew Invitational

Added by Thehuntmaster on 02-04-2014

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
Reviews by Thehuntmaster:
3.71/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

500ml glass 6,5% Abv.
Served chilled in a brewery branded cervoise style glass.
On tap directly from the brewery.

Appearance: Clarens IPA appears an almost clear golden-orange (a bit darker than usual) and is topped by a small white head. The head lasts pretty well and coats the glass in beautiful rings of lacing as I drink.

Smell: This isn’t the hoppiest IPA I have smelled, but it still smells quite nice. There are notes of citrus, some sweet pineapple (rare in a local IPA), a little leafiness and a fairly substantial fruitiness (I can’t seem to identify it) that I often note in local beers and must result from one of the local hops. Light notes of toasted/caramel malt are also present.

Taste: Initially the flavour is somewhat muted due to the beer being served too cold, but after a short while it begins to open up. There is a fair amount of the local hop fruitiness (I am still not a huge fan of this character) as well as some grapefruit a touch of leafiness and some caramel malt that balances the hop flavours. As the beer warms, the maltiness takes on an almost English nature. There is a pleasant bitterness in the finish, but it is a little tame for a hop-head like me.

Mouthfeel: A little over carbonated for my tastes (high level), but it isn’t too expansive and aids the drinkability of the beer. The body is just shy of medium.

Overall: This is a really nice local IPA and one that I will certainly be having again whenever I visit Clarens.

Clarens IPA from Clarens Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.