Starchicken Shot Gun - Greenbush Brewing Company

Beer added by: SerialTicker on 11-09-2013

Ratings: 140 | Reviews: 10
Reviews by lochef81:
3.81/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've had hit or miss experience with Greenbush but this is definitely a winner. The pour is a handsome, crystal clear golden amber with a large white head that gives way to a nice film and lacing. The aroma is a very appealing blend of bitter pine and citrus hops, mord reminiscent of a double ipa than just a regular. The mouthfeel is smooth and a little sticky. Given the dankness of the beer I'd actually like a little more palate coating quality. The flavor is a little less attractive than the nose. The hop flavors come through very fresh but a little too bitter without enough malt to make it balanced. This is not a perfect brew but worth trying. And one of the best I've had from Greenbush.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Star Chicken Shotgun last week for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. I've had this beer before at a Greenbush tap takeover and I thought I would revisit it now that it's available in bottles, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little weird looking, but I guess it goes with the name a little and it's fairly eye catching. It poured a muddy orangish caramel color that took on more of a burnt orange color when held to the light with three fingers of white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings and sheets of lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, the color wasn't the great, but I thought the head, lacing and retention were great and if the color was better it would get a pretty high score for the appearance.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up with some light floral and piney aromas, but it's the citrus hops that seem to stick out the most and they impart some great citrus rind and fresh citrus juice like aromas with a little bit of tropical fruit aromas also showing up. Up next comes a noticeable creamy aroma followed by a light of amount of malts that impart a sweet malt and light caramel malt like aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma, I liked how fruity the hop profile was.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects as they did in the aroma, the citrus hops still stick out the most, but the floral hops seem to show up more than they did in the aroma and it didn't retain that tropical fruit aspect. Up next comes slightly noticeable creamy taste followed by the malts which still don't show up too much, but they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma. On the finish there was a lower amount of high bitterness with a sweet malt, and citrus hop aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, but I wish the malts showed up just a little more.

M- Fairly smooth, not too crisp, clean, slightly refreshing, a little sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied and it had a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was crisp and had some more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was an above average example of an IPA, it was just a little rough around the edges with a couple aspects that could use a little bit of cleaning up, but other than that I thought it was a pretty solid IPA. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too crisp, slightly refreshing, a little sticky, slightly filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I wouldn't mind drinking a couple of these, but I think that would be my limit. What I like the most about this beer was the hop profile, I thought it was pretty good and it was showcased nicely in the aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad, but I found myself wishing it had more carbonation and crispness to it. I would buy this beer again and I wouldn't rule out buying a six pack, but I don't think it will be replacing some of my go to IPA's. I would recommend this to anyone who likes IPA's, I think it's worth giving a try. All in all I was happy with this beer, it was pretty similar to how i remember it being when I had it on tap, but I think with just a little work this IPA would be able to hold it's own against some of the better beers in the style. This isn't my favorite Greenbush beer, but it's far from my least favorite and I still think it's above average for an IPA. Nice job guys, this was a pretty solid IPA, keep up the good work.

3.32/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured clear gold with a slight foamy head that lingered. Right away I'm getting something I didn't expect - banana. Straight banana, no citrus or other fruits. Nothing floral. Not expecting that at all - I had no idea what to expect since I didn't know anything about this beer beforehand. Taste was more of the same, with some bitterness and hop bite coming into play. Mouthfeel was good - which seems to be a constant among the Greenbush beers I've tried.

Overall, very different and unexpected. Wondering if something was "off" with this bottle. Not necessarily bad, but not the profile I've read elsewhere. If Brother Benjamin is supposed to mystify, then this one is just straight up confusing.

3.94/5  rDev +4%

A - Pours a clear golden orange with a one-finger creamy white head. The fades into a thin ring leaving tons of sticky lacing.

S - The aroma is fruity with orange, mango, pineapple along with some biscuity malts.

T - The taste follows the aroma with orange, mango, and pineapple upfront. There is a good amount of sweet malts midpalate. Decent amount of piney hops in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

O - This is a nice IPA with lots of bright tropical fruit in the flavor. Above average and worth checking out.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 4/30/2015. Pours lightly hazy bright orange color with a 2 finger dense and rocky off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice dense soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big mango, peach, pineapple, passion fruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, pine, honey, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of bright citrus/tropical hops and moderate pale malt notes; with good strength. Taste of big mango, peach, pineapple, passion fruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, pine, honey, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine/citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of mango, peach, pineapple, passion fruit, tangerine, lemon/orange zest, pine, honey, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for good bit. Damn nice complexity, robustness, and balance of bright citrus/tropical hops and moderate pale malt sweetness; with a good malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth and fairly creamy/sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warmth lingering after the finish. Overall this is a very nice IPA. All around good complexity, robustness, and balance of bright citrus/tropical hops and moderate pale malt sweetness; and very smooth to drink for the ABV. A very enjoyable offering

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 4/22/15 Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

L- Deep gold, very slight amount of haze, two finger white head.

S- Citrus, orange, bit of mango, the Juicy Fruit gum hop aroma. Bit of Amercian ale yeast.

T- Citrus, medium sweetness, medium lingering bitterness, little added floral.

F- Medium, typical of the style.

O- A pretty nice beer and one of the better hoppy beers I've had from Greenbush.

3.69/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Mango, light grapefruit rind, caramel, sugar, fresh yeast and citrus in the scent. Yeast upfront in the flavor, with mild caramel, some mango, resin, sugar and a little citrus. Definitely worth trying if you enjoy your IPAs a bit more sweet.

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On-tap for something like $5.25 at Boat Works in St. Clair Shores, Michigan.

Appearance: Golden. Didn't notice any haze on it. Finger of a creamy white head. Awesome lacing from top to bottom.

Smell: Very fruity. Citrus, tropical fruits, and things of that nature. Somewhat sweet. Didn't pick up much pine or grass or anything along those lines. A pretty bright aroma on this.

Taste/feel: Judging from the few reviews I saw on Ratebeer, I was just expecting more out of this. Starchicken has a solid bitterness to it behind that fruity start. The mouthfeel isn't that great. There's a medium feel and carbonation that sort of gave me the impression that this was definitely an IPA and not an Imperial IPA. Quite nice and easy drinking.

Greenbush has impressed me more. This is still a pretty tasty beer, but it's not exactly an "Oh my God, I need to find this beer!" sort of brew. It's just a quality, fruitier-than-pinier sort of IPA that won't blow your mind. Still, this is one worth trying if you happen to see it in front of you.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

On tap at Ashley’s in Ann Arbor. Poured into half pint. Golden color with a finger of head and good lacing. Aroma is citrus and tropical fruit hoppiness with bready malt undertones. Flavor is strongly bitter after brief up front malt sweetness. Medium body and carbonation, thin texture, bitter finish.

3.6/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, MFG:4 22.15
A - hazy amber body, thick & frothy ivory head
S - sweet candy-like fruity nose with caramel malt; passion fruit comes to mind
T - big bready malt backbone with a heavy dose of caramel; fruity & piny hops provide plenty of bitterness
M - medium body, a bit resinous, finishes bitter with pine lingering but not as dry as I'd like my west coast IPA to be
O - good IPA, but west coast IPA didn't come to mind as I drank it. Good flavors and easy to drink - I'd have it again - the name and label is weird enough to strike up a conversation anywhere.

Starchicken Shot Gun from Greenbush Brewing Company