400 Divine Rabbits - Greenbush Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 59 | Reviews: 6
Reviews by Morakaton:
3.29/5  rDev -7.6%

I picked up a bottle of Grennbush's 400 Divine Rabbits last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before, but since I'm always down to a try a new beer from Greenbush I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice yellow color that had a slight golden hue to it and it took one more of darker golden and amber hue when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy and sticky lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aromas starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a slight agave like aroma to it followed by a unique fruit aroma that might have something to do with the agave, but there's also some berry aromas with a light peach aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes the malts which are very biscuity, but there's also some sweet malt, and wheat like aromas with some doughy yeast showing up in the background. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, the biscuit malts worked well with the fruity aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a light fruity flavor being the first to show up and it was much lighter then it was in the aroma and it just imparts a light generic fruity flavor. Up next comes the malts which stick out the most with some, sweet malt, wheat and grainy flavors showing up with some biscuit malt flavors sticking out the most. On the finish there's a slightly lighter amount of medium bitterness followed by a sweet malt and biscuit malt aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but it lacked some of those aspects that made the aroma a little interesting and that made for somewhat bland tasting beer.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, a little crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and decent example of the style, I was expecting a fruity American Pale Wheat Ale after that aroma, but when I got to the taste it was a little disappoint and blander than I thought it would be. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, a little crisp, not too filling and that taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention so one is enough for me, but If I didn't care about taste I could probably drink a couple of them. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, those two were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it was just too bland and it couldn't hold my attention. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I would much rather have an Oberon and I wouldn't recommend it either. All in all I was i was a little disappointed with this beer, It just didn't do it for me and it left me wanting more flavor. This might just be one of my least favorite American Pale Wheat Ale and I would for sure much rather have an Oberon. This might be my least favorite Greenbush beer. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me.

4.73/5  rDev +32.9%

Smooth wheat with lots of flavor.

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours fairly hazy/cloudy deep gold color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice Spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of lemon, pear, apple, white grape, wheat, biscuit, agave, herbal, floral, clove, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of pale malt, agave, earthy hops, and fruity/spicy yeast notes; with solid strength. Taste of lemon, pear, apple, white grape, wheat, biscuit, agave, herbal, floral, grass, clove, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Light earthy bitterness/spiciness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon, pear, apple, white grape, wheat, biscuit, agave, herbal, floral, grass, light clove/pepper, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and robustness of pale malt, agave, earthy hops, and fruity/spicy yeast flavors; with a great malt/yeast flavor balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, crisp, and lightly creamy/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very good pale wheat ale. All around good balance and robustness of pale malt, agave, earthy hops, and fruity/spicy yeast flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

4.38/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice agave flavor. Not too sweet

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

$2 single poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance: Yellow-orange with a slight haze. Pours with about a finger of off-white head and a bit of lacing. The label is mostly purple with orange text reading the name of the beer. Pretty eye catching.

Smell: Excellent. First whiff reminded me of Blackberry Witbier by Sam Adams, but it's actually quite a bit different. The agave is certainly there, but there's actually a pretty heavy biscuity malt quality along with it. A bit of a strange combination, but it sort of comes off as a jellied and buttered biscuit.

Taste/feel: Agave and biscuity malts, again. Only 15 IBUs, but I seem to get a faint hoppiness at the end with a slight bitter finish. The carbonation is medium at best with a surprisingly near full-bodied feel. Not a huge depth of flavor, but not bad. Highly drinkable. It really just tastes like a maltier pale ale with agave added, but that's not a bad thing. A bit heavy on the malt for my liking though, as it just seems weird with the agave. I'd have absolutely no trouble drinking more of this in the future, but I wouldn't want more than one. Certainly not Greenbush's best work, but another good showing regardless.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not bad....a light ale with just a hint of sweetness

to view more.