Anger - Greenbush Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 476 | Reviews: 68
Reviews by tectactoe:
3.72/5  rDev -5.6%

On tap at Pete's Garage. In the dimly lit restaurant, the beer is seemingly black, only traced with a wood-stained brown around the very edges when held up to the light. It's capped with a coffee-and-cream colored head that mellows out at a few millimeters thick and leaves small bits of wet, dripping lacing on the sides of the glass.

Chocolate malt is the first thing that my senses pick up on as I take my first whiff - it's got a hefty, dry cocoa aroma to it. Crushed coffee beans, burnt caramel, and some roasted malts make up the remainder of the malt bill contribution. Hops are in full force; leafs, mild pine, and even a small, citrus-filled finish. Reminds me a little of Shorts' Goodnight Bodacious, only this one is a little more tame and not quite as coffee-heavy.

The citric character in the nose is only amplified on the palate - heavy citrus up front; a good helping of peppery grapefruit and tangerine. It's actually almost tart for a brief moment before the leafy and herbal notes start to creep in and take over. The malts crescendo through the background and halfway through, they are in full force; slightly roasted coffee beans, cocoa powder, and some charred wood. The aftertaste is full of burnt hops with a roasty malt and faintly citric flavor combination. Medium bodied, decent carbonation with a slick and almost crisp mouth feel.

I don't know why, but I wasn't feeling the vibe on this one quite like everyone else. It was okay, but not something I would seek out or pick up again, unless I had a super-huge craving for a black IPA and there were no other one's available. I'd take both Shorts' black IPAs over this one (Bludgeon Yer Eye and Goodnight Bodacious). I guess my main complaint with this is that the citrus profile of the hops didn't mesh too favorably with the malt bill. I would have rather seen more herbal, ashy, spicy hops. Wish in one hand, I guess.

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured into becker pint glass; jet black with a huge tan fluffy head that leaves amazing lacing. Smell is bitter coffee and chocolate roasted malt, blending equally with sweet floral, fruity and piney hops. Smell is really hitting all the big notes, let's see if the taste does the same. Yes...yes it does. Starts off with sweet, smooth malt and slight citrusey hops, then suddenly smashes headlong into huge crashing waves of bitter coffee, chocolate, and hops. Finishes wet and bitter, with lingering flavors of coffee and bitterness. An excellent black ipa (or cascadian dark ale).

4.23/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to Wendall for this one!

A: Pours a dark brown with a one finger tan colored head on top. It settles quickly to a thin cap on top, thin lacing forming all around the glass.

S: Lots of chocolate and roast upfront with some floral hops on the backend. Really nice combination, lots of both the dark and hop.

T: Similar to the aroma, some nice chocolate and roasted malt upfront with a little bit of floral hops mixed in, with a hint of citrus.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

O: A nice Black IPA, better than most I have had. Neither the roast nor the hops dominate the flavor profile as it does on many others in the style.

4.06/5  rDev +3%

I was able to try Anger from Green BUSH at a local tavern that just recently opened. The beer poured a dark nearly opaque amber with thin slightly off-whote head that left spotty lacing. The smell included piney hops and subtle roast. The taste started just as most IPAs ....a nice piney citrus that was quickly replaced with roast and then bittering hops that helped to cleanse the pallet. The mouthfeel was a medium body with smooth carbonation. Overall the beer was decent....but comapred to the Stone SSRIPA it was not as good. I would definitely have it again....and again....and again....if I see it in the future.

4.11/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured slowly down the side of a nonic from a 12 oz bottle. Dark in color. Light barely peeks through a dark amber window around the edges. Left a pinky thick, dark sandy colored head that was light and foamy and disappeared into a silky beer ceiling. Very light lacing.

Aroma: Coffee apparent. A subtle long grass breeze swoops in followed by a spicy chocolate. Spice slightly tickles the back of your throat.

Taste: Coffee comes through first. Its quickly followed by sweet chocolate and a grassy hop character. All is pushed aside by a tongue lashing of spicy hop character that sticks to your gums and teeth. Spice slowly fades out and leaves you with a grassy bubble gum to chew on until you take your next drink.

Mouth feel: Medium body. Its a bitter beer at 85 IBU's. The hops takeover here. Water feel at first followed by the medium body that turns into thick hop, bitter consistency.

Overall: A great beer. Solid! Has everything you could want from a Black IPA. Greenbush is coming. Look out!

Reviewing the Anger from Greenbush Brewing Company out of Michigan. This is a relatively new brewery, and I believed they opened less than a year ago.
Score: 90

16 oz tap pour served in a pint glass at Kuma's Corner in Chicago. Kuma's has some of the best food in the city, and they always have interesting stuff on tap. Last time I stopped in to eat they had Surly Darkness on tap. It was too dark in the restaurant to snap a picture, and this is a draft only beer right now. Alas, no picture.

Appearance: Pours a black coffee color with a thin layer of tan head. Mostly opaque with brown highlights at the top of the glass. Pretty good lacing. 4/5

Smell: Floral citrusy hops, some roasted malts, and light chocolate/raisin. 4/5

Taste: Tastes like a pale ale bookended with light stout qualities. Light raisin and a hint of chocolate up front and in the finish. Earthy, piney hops bitterness and roasted maltiness on the midpalate. There's a little bit of citrus cutting thru the roasty maltiness too. Finish has some bitter hops flavor. More chocolate and dark fruit characteristics in the finish as it layers. A really solid brew. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Creamy mouthfeel. Balanced and drinkable with a slight bitter hops and roasted chocolate linger. 3.5/5

Overall: A very solid, true-to-style black ale. I would certainly drink this one again.

Recommendation: Worth seeking out. The hops characteristics of this brew are more mellow than most pale ales, so it should have a broader appeal to casual beer drinkers -- at least in theory.

Pairings: Hamburgers (by default).

Cost: $7 or $8 for a pint.

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

I bought this single 12oz brown bottle at the Binny's store in Bloomingdale,IL as part of a build-your-own six pack for $9.99, making this $1.67 a bottle. No freshness date.

The beer poured a dfark brown color with 3 finger's worth of tan head. Retention was good as was the lacing.

Wow! - Huge piny hop aroma.

Pine and grapefruit hops dominate the flavor and provide 85 IBU's worth of bitterness. Under the hops there is a mild chocolaty malt flavor but it plays a secondary role to the hops..

Medium body with medium carbonation. I really enjoyed the creamy texture to this beer.

Not my favorite black ale - New Glarus's Black Top takes top prize for that, but those who like it on the hoopy side may enjoy this one.

4.26/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 fluid ounce bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - The first thing that I noticed was that my normal pour yielded a mountain of mocha head. It is a very foamy beer. The body is very dark. It looks a lot like a porter.

S - This black IPA has a more noticeable roasted character. I can smell some chocolate and some citrus.

T - It starts out with the roasted malt. I get some chocolate, cocoa, and some black coffee. The finish has a mild citrus flavor.

M - Full and creamy like a good stout.

O - This is probably my favorite black IPA to date. I love the balance between the hops and the roasted malt. Most black IPA's are hop bombs with roasted malt. This is more like a hoppy stout. The hops compliment this beer perfectly. It pairs well with Metallica's St. Anger (song or the album).

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz. bottle with no apparent bottled on date present. My second beer from Greenbush Brewing Co., and excited to have it within my grasp! Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours an opaque jet black colored body with two fingers of creamy fluffy mocha colored head. Big rings of fluffy lacing on the way down.

S - Fresh juicy citric grapefruit and pine hops right off the bat, paired beautifully with the roasted coffee notes, and notes of dry powdery cocoa.

T - Taste follows the nose: ultra bitter roasty coffee beans, refreshing citric & pine hops, some pineapple maybe, and some dry cocoa.

M - Feel is dry, with bitter hops & coffee beans lingering around. Medium-full bodied, with a good solid level of carbonation that tingles the tongue.

Overall, a solid black IPA if there ever was one. A nice hybrid of styles, of sorts. Could come off as either an extremely hoppy stout, or a nice coffee-infused IPA. Either way, it works. Rewarding 7.60% abv, another winner from Greenbush. A beer I would have again, and a brewery I want to try more from.

Greenbush Anger ---4/5.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

from notes on 7/18/11 at Kalamazoo Beer Exchange

85 ibu

A: Pitch-black beer. Light brown head that pours about a half finger, but stays about a half a finger nail the whole way down. With a good amount of lacing and good head retention.

S: dank hops, deep, dark, roasty

T: coffee, bourbon, and chocolate. Along with the classic piney & floral hops of an IPA. A bitter and hoppy (but not overly hoppy) finish.

M: medium to full body with low carbonation. Very filling

O: originally rated from notes on 7/18/11 at Kalamazoo Beer Exchange, additional notes and rating from bottle bought at Spartan Spirits 2/23/13

4.11/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Picked up a single bottle to try. Poured a good two fingered head that settled to a light ring with some spotty lacing. I rate it high for looks because it is what I expect for a good beer. I only would like it better if had a little better head retention. As for fitting the style, I'd say it's as it should be. The smell was nice and hoppy right off and roasted malts latter. Fairly strong but not complex but for me to notice with my nose it is impressive to me.

I loved the balanced flavor between roasted malts and the piney hops, nice. This is dry and clean but after 2/3 through it left too much lingering bitter. Taste follows the nose and has depth but I don't pick up a lot of other complex flavors, maybe I am just not that imaginative. Not as pleased with mouthfeel. A bit thin and became too astringent toward the end but I am being nit-picky. Medium carbonation is good.

Overall I would go back to this one. Above average but not wow and fairly priced. Greenbush you have my attention.

4.36/5  rDev +10.7%

"Anger," - On Tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

A: Pours a very dark brown with little to no lacing on my glass. However, the waitress filled my pint up to the brim (thank you!), so it may have had some at one point. It's definitely not very sticky, which concerns me that it may be a bit "watery," but we shall see.

S: Suprised. I smell a lot more hops than any roasted malts, which is not typically of many other Black IPAs that I've had. In fact, I don't smell anything else other than the hops. I believe the hops are Columbus...the smell reminds me of a beer I brewed using Columbus hops...I could be wrong on this though. Anyway, I'm partial to a strong hop presence over roasted malts in my IPAs, so I'm excited about this one.

T: You actually can taste the roasted malts in the initial drink, however, the strong hop profile takes over from there. I really like the taste of this beer...At first, I thought the hop profile faded too quickly, but now that I've drank 1/2 of it, that taste is just sticking around...which I'm pretty happy about. However, I do warn people who usually like this style because of the Roasted Malts, that you will probably be disappointed, as that is not where this beer shines. The roasted malts are a nice addition to a beer that shines in other ways that I just discussed.

M: Mid-light body for the style. It wasn't as watery as it looked, thank goodness. It has a dryer finish (thank you cotton-mouth hops!) that makes you want to drink more.

O: I want to say that this is my favorite Black IPA that I've had. Although, I really liked Stone's as well. I'd have to try them side by side to compare. If you prefer a hops-forward profile over roasted malts in your Black IPAs, then you'll enjoy ANGER. I do, so this beer is solid in my opinion. Well done Greenbush!

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Anger last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I'm still working my way through Greenbush's lineup, I haven't had this beer before but I have had Rage before which I think is suppose to be the imperial version of this beer, I'm in the mood for a Black IPA tonight, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, I know it's fairly fresh since they just showed up. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it had a nice darker look to it that went nice with the name which I also like, Anger just seems like a fitting name for a Black IPA. It poured a nice black color that let hardly any light come through with two fingers worth of medium tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking Black IPA, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma is pretty intense and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight brown sugar like aroma to it followed by a good amount of hops that impart a pretty big resiny and piney aromas with a slight bit of citrus hops that add a little more depth. Up next comes the malts which also stick out a good deal and impart some dark, roasted, and almost charred malt aromas followed by some nice chocolate and coffee aromas and there was also a slight boozy aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it was intense and fairly complex, I enjoyed it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight brown sugar flavor to it and it's followed by a nice amount of hops with some resiny, piney and citrusy hop flavors all showing up equally making for a nice and unique hop profile. Up next comes the malts which impart some dark roasted malts flavors that had a slight charred flavor to them and were followed by a nice medium amount of coffee and chocolate flavors. Towards the end I get a real slight boozy flavor followed by a medium amount of bitterness with a half and half mixture of roasted malts with some resiny and citrus hops in the aftertaste. This was a good tasting Black IPA, it was well balanced and pretty unique.

M- fairly smooth, creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied, with a nice amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel, it worked nicely with it and I have no complaints.

I thought this was a good beer and a good and unique example of a Black IPA, it was nicely balanced with neither the hops or the malts being too overpowering and it wasn't overly bitter. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth and the flavor did a good job at holding my attention, but I couldn't see myself drinking more than two of these, this seems like a nice fall time beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was enjoyable and pretty unique, I liked it. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, I don't think that there's anything that I would change with this beer, it's fine just the way it is. I would buy this bee again when in the mood for a nice and unique Black IPA and I think it's priced well, I would recommend this to anyone who likes Black IPA's. All in all I enjoyed this beer, it did remind me a lot of Rage, but much less intense which made it much more enjoyable. I thought this was a good Black IPA, I still think that Arcadia's B Craft is still my favorite Black IPA, but this beer isn't that far behind. I've been pretty impressed with these new Greenbush beers, it seems like all the beers I have had from them haven't tasted like anything I have had before and I really like that, Keep up the good work guys.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Greenbush is one of the best new mcrobreweries in 2011. In fact, when I stopped by for a taste of their brews on August 5, they had been in business less than two months.

Sawyer, MI is a small town in Michigan Harbor Country, not far from the Warren Dunes State Park. Great location, and great brews.

I stopped to sample the Sunspot, a hefeweizen, and Anger, a black IPA. It was a tough call, but I chose to buy a growler of Anger.

The growler was popped open this weekend and it has been two days of utter enjoyment. Poured into a Duvel tulip, the beer is dark as night with a frothy tan head that recedes to leave a thick coat of lacing on the glass.

On the second day of the growler, I notice a tad less carbonation and that is just fine with me. The hoppiness has also faded since it was bottled three weeks ago and this beer smells and tastes more like a smokey porter than a black ipa.

The beer gets much more complex as it's allowed to warm to room temperature. Again it tastes like a fresh Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes than a two-day-old growler.

I am a satisfied customer. Greenbush really impresses me. Looking forward to a Labor Day weekend beer stop.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from bottle into snifter.

A: Nice dark brown with a gorgeous tan head. This beer looks awesome.

S: Smells piney and citrus. With a little booziness in there too.

T: Starts off a little sweet, getting citrus notes, dark malts, ending with a nice bitter pine finish.

M: Good mouthfeel, carbonation is just right.

O: This is my second offering from Greenbush, and never has a newer brewery impressed me like they have. I love everything they've done with this one, the maltiness, the hoppyness, watch out for Greenbush Brewing!

3.86/5  rDev -2%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/14/12
*From notes

-- Another winner from Señor brydeen --

A: Killer bootstrap brown. A good pour yields a 3+ finger head and monster gobs of lacing.

S: Earthy mud and robust hop oil. There's a big dose of malts that round out the bouquet.

T: Bitingly hoppy, and for a beer with a moderate IPA, I'm quite impressed. It certainly comes across as the hoppiest Black Ale I've quaffed to date.

M: A bit overcarbed, which downshifts the entire beer. As I swirl it in my glass a bit, it helps to loosen the carb's death grip and opens 'er up.

O: For a style I don't normally reach for, Greenbush has put together a killer ABA with their Anger. The hops are the first, last and everything in this beer, yet the dark malt really adds a killer complexity to it. Recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best beer Green Bush has!

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to dschuster03 for sharing this growler.

A - Dark brown colored beer with a bit of khaki head that left some spots on the glass.

S - Roasted malts, little bit of bitter chocolate, floral hops. Really great smelling.

T - This is a very tasty beer that doesn't get too heavy for the style. Nice roasty malts with some good hoppyness. Very clean tasting with a touch of citrus in there to brighten it up a bit.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O - A really nice beer. Easy to drink, and has great flavors. I really liked this beer a lot and find it a great example of the style.

3.87/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pored this out almost black and produced a nice two finger dark tan frothy head that has super small tight bubbles. The nose is interesting. A sweet candy cherry, slight roast, earthy, caramel, and some pine. The taste has all hops in the front then you get the slight roast character in the finish along with a bitterness. I get pine, earthiness, slight cherry sweetness, then the roasted coffee character comes in with a dry finish. The bitterness builds and takes over the flavor (malts and hops could be slightly more balanced.) Definitely a unique flavor for this style with a lot going on. This one is worth a try if you like the style but be ready for a beer that has a strong pronounced flavor and bitterness, cheers!

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured out of a growler, courtesy of Mattyb319...thanks Matt!

A- Black, quite black. A bit of burgundy around the edges when held up to the light, with a healthy tan head resting on top. Good lacing, great head retention.

S- Nice! First thing to jump out of the glass is the hops: floral, slight citrus, a hint of tropical fruit, and peaches and cream. This is coupled with a nice wave of milk chocolate and a bit of roasted malt. As the beer warms, the peaches and cream becomes less prominent and the milk chocolate comes more to the front.

T- Follows the nose, with more of the roast coming through in the taste, and the beer leaves more lingering bitterness than the aroma would have suggested. I think this is a good balance between hop character and caramel/roasted malt presence, which is what we all seem to seek out in a black ipa.

M- This is the one area in which I don't think this brew performs quite as well. It's still good, good carbonation, creamy, medium-bodied mouthfeel, but it leaves a slightly harsh finish that just doesn't sit quite right on my palatte. I will, however, give this beer credit for disguising the 7.6% abv...no alcohol presence at all, well done.

O- Great beer and I'm glad I had the chance to try this...really makes me want to get my hands on some more Greenbush brews. My buddy Matt clued me in on the great things that this brewery is putting out, and he's definitely right. If Greenbush isn't on your radar now, it will be soon.

3.79/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I dont really understand "Black IPAs" ....Theyre good, but I dont get it. Anyway, This beer is really good.
A- Aesome head retention. This is black as a porter. Nice lacing, a sure sign of a well crafted beer.
S- I smell the black patent(?) Malts and a dank piney floral hop aroma. Its quite nice, I almost smell licorice... interesting.
T- Matches the smell. I like it, I taste pretty much what I smelled, dank piney hops and dark malts. Its really a hopped up porter in my opinion, as for this style I think someone just messed up one time and said uhh its a black IPA, yeah thats it. Hah, some of the best things that happen are accidental. I like it though.
M- Outstanding. kinda chewy, full bodied, smooth, almost creamy, I love this.
Overall this is the best "Black IPA" Ive ever had. And Ive knocked back a few. Wortha try if youre into this sort of thing.

Cheers!

3.46/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This bipa pours a very dark mahogany body with a short lasting tan head and just a slight film lace. The nose is subtle and a little funky. Slightly hoppy but also roasty and dark. The mouthfeel is smooth and rather light. It could actually use s little more body. The flavor is not particularly hoppy mostly just light coffee notes and a little citrus. Almost closer to a light porter than a bipa. Not a bad beer but nothing to hunt down.

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

(A)- Pours practically pitch black in color. Produced a great 3+ finger tan fluffy head that stuck around for quite awhile before dissipating. Plenty of lacing left behind too.

(S)- Some dry roasted malts and bits of citrus overall; honestly, it is a bit muted.

(T)- A nice combination of dry roasted baked bread meets a blast of lemon lime and pineapple citrus.

(M)- A nice smooth carbonation level meets a nice balanced mouthfeel overall. The dry roasted malts help cut the bitterness from the hops while the citrus is free to shine.

(O)- A pretty solid Black IPA. Often times I feel some of this are just too much like a hoppy porter or stout, but this one is well balanced and well-made enough to fit the style.

3.62/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

How appropriate that I'm drinking this while watching an AVGN episode. This stuff pours a dark black-brown topped by a solid finger of soft khaki foam. The nose comprises miscellaneous greens, light pine needle, and some very light roasted malts in the background. The taste brings in more of the same, with a stronger sense of pine and a more robust roastiness, providing the balance so sorely missed in the smell. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly silky feel. Overall, a nice little black IPA. 'Nuff said.

4.28/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours pitch black with a finger length mocha colored head that went away fairly slowly and left a thin ring of lacing. Nice balance in the aroma for a black ipa, but not overpowering at all. Get floral and faint pine notes from the hops, while also getting lots of roasted malts, licorice, and some dark chocolate notes. Nice balance in the taste as well. Starts with floral notes, some orange, pine. Then a burst of roasted malts come through and mix with the hop flavors. Start to get dark chocolate notes as well. The finish is a great balance of hoppy and roasty flavors. More of the floral, orange, and pine along with roasted malts and creamy dark chocolate. Get some ashy/smokey flavors as well. Do get that belgian flavor from the malts, but it is minimal and adds to the complexity of the beer. High medium body with a really nice creamy mouthfeel. Somewhat clean on the finish too: no resinous hop oils left behind. I thought this was an outstanding example of what a black ipa should be. Definitely hoppy, but incorporated with a hefty dose of roasted, dark malts nicely. Greenbush continues to impress.

to view more.