Anger - Greenbush Brewing Company

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  7.60% ABV

Beer added by: minterro on 07-21-2011

4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured into becker pint glass; jet black with a huge tan fluffy head that leaves amazing lacing. Smell is bitter coffee and chocolate roasted malt, blending equally with sweet floral, fruity and piney hops. Smell is really hitting all the big notes, let's see if the taste does the same. Yes...yes it does. Starts off with sweet, smooth malt and slight citrusey hops, then suddenly smashes headlong into huge crashing waves of bitter coffee, chocolate, and hops. Finishes wet and bitter, with lingering flavors of coffee and bitterness. An excellent black ipa (or cascadian dark ale). (584 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: Pours a deep, opaque black brown with a towering three and a half fingers of thick greyish tan foam.

Smell: Fairly muted aroma of toasted malt, cocoa powder, caramel, coffee and a faint, almost grape-like, fruitiness.

Taste: Faint citrus, roasted and caramel malts, cocoa, pine, some bitter grapefruit rind and a nice spicy bite. Superbly balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and fairly creamy with a lightly crisp finish.

Overall, this is one of the best black IPAs I've had. Unique, complex, flavorful, and perfectly balanced, this is a beer lover's beer. (571 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

poured form the bottle cold and cola black with a 1/2 finger tan long lasting big bubbled head.

big sweet earthy hops in the nose, real nice.

smooth and big bodied, great big hops but not too terribly bitter. very tasty.

great beer, i'd give this one another go. (265 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks, Dave! Poured into Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - Pours black, tan colored head, thin collar, spotty lace.

S - Nice mix of light bitter hops, roast, slight chocolate. Really nice and once of the better-smelling Black IPA's I've had. Just very smooth and the hops vs. roast is right down the middle.

T - Grassy hops, some floral notes, roast, chocolate. The taste lives up to the nose, perhaps better. Really nice mix of both..so good.

M - Light to medium body, good carbonation, roast finish.

O - A really great Black IPA that I would keep drinking over and over. I knew nothings about Greenbush before drinking this beer and now I'm inclined to try some of their other offerings. This one is a winner! (703 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

Had on tap at the brewery.

A-Pours a deep dark brown pretty much black. One finger dark tan head rises and fades away to spotty lacing rather quickly.

S- This beer has the perfect balance in the aroma with the roasted malts and bittering hops playing the two major parts with light bitter chocolate and settle alcohol bringing up the the rest of the aroma.

T- The roasted malts in the front give way to a hint of bitter chocolate. The malts do a good job of not overkilling the palate in the front and you can tell when the light grassy hops and citrus hops kick in right afterward. The ending of the beer is a balance of roasted malts and hints of citrus hops to me.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation I think is perfect for this beer. Medium alcohol drying on the palate with each sip. Clean roasted malts and hints of bitter hops are left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly alcohol, citrusy hops, and clean roasted malts. Flavors were very balanced for this style with no off flavors present while drinking this beer.

O- This has got to be one of the best Black IPA's I have had. One of my favorite beers from Greenbush and a style they do well. The balance between roast and hop without overdoing either or is something a lot of brewers could take a lesson on. Fantastic beer (1,287 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

nice black with a tan-ish head on top....
smell is earthy and a bit bitter smelling.
nice porter mind of taste, moreso than a black IPA in my opinion. thick to a degree, chalky, musky and earthy bitterness. almost some espresso-like flavor, but not quite.
overall, a very decent brew but not sure which way they are trying to go with it. very good brew, but more of a porter, no? black IPA works too, I suppose but either way it tastes very good. a little thicker than I was expecting, cheers! (493 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Anger has an onyx color, a gentle reminder that this is a beer that will deliver some intensity. A small ecru head rests on top of the beer, but the small size is more due to the nature of the pour than the beer itself.

The aroma is a sharp blend of roasted malt, dark chocolate, coffee, and pine and citrus hops. It is easy to distinguish the aromas, but they work together nicely.

My first sip starts off with a bang; fully roasted malt, smoke, dark unsweetened chocolate, and strong black coffee all come through. The flavor at this point is enough to be considered a flavorful beer. But then the hop flavors start playing games with my taste buds. There is a dash of grapefruit and orange citrus, but the main player is a strong spicy, resiny pine note. The hops and coffee work together to bring a bitter finish, although there is not much aftertaste.

The thickness of this mouthfeel is right around where I want it to be. At 7.6%, I want something that has some bite to it, and Anger does not disappoint. The carbonation is creamy and smooth. Out of the bottle the carbonation is a little bit out of control, so I like it better on tap. There is a bit of hoppy resin residue left on my lips after each sip.

Anger is one of the top American Black Ales out there, no question. This is a great beer that straddles two categories rather nicely. I order this regularly. (1,406 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one amazing beer, my fellow explorers.

The appearance is a solid jet black with mild carbonation and a beige two finger head

Smells: Roast Malt, Oats, Hops, Coffee, and Cocoa

Taste: Roast Malt, Coffee, Pine, Cocoa, and a boozy, citrus finish

Mouthfeel: Smooth and Thick!

Overall, I'd have this again in a heartbeat. Such a great beer for this time of year, when you don't want the total stout. (406 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +9.5%

"Anger," - On Tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

A: Pours a very dark brown with little to no lacing on my glass. However, the waitress filled my pint up to the brim (thank you!), so it may have had some at one point. It's definitely not very sticky, which concerns me that it may be a bit "watery," but we shall see.

S: Suprised. I smell a lot more hops than any roasted malts, which is not typically of many other Black IPAs that I've had. In fact, I don't smell anything else other than the hops. I believe the hops are Columbus...the smell reminds me of a beer I brewed using Columbus hops...I could be wrong on this though. Anyway, I'm partial to a strong hop presence over roasted malts in my IPAs, so I'm excited about this one.

T: You actually can taste the roasted malts in the initial drink, however, the strong hop profile takes over from there. I really like the taste of this beer...At first, I thought the hop profile faded too quickly, but now that I've drank 1/2 of it, that taste is just sticking around...which I'm pretty happy about. However, I do warn people who usually like this style because of the Roasted Malts, that you will probably be disappointed, as that is not where this beer shines. The roasted malts are a nice addition to a beer that shines in other ways that I just discussed.

M: Mid-light body for the style. It wasn't as watery as it looked, thank goodness. It has a dryer finish (thank you cotton-mouth hops!) that makes you want to drink more.

O: I want to say that this is my favorite Black IPA that I've had. Although, I really liked Stone's as well. I'd have to try them side by side to compare. If you prefer a hops-forward profile over roasted malts in your Black IPAs, then you'll enjoy ANGER. I do, so this beer is solid in my opinion. Well done Greenbush! (1,803 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Greenbush is one of the best new mcrobreweries in 2011. In fact, when I stopped by for a taste of their brews on August 5, they had been in business less than two months.

Sawyer, MI is a small town in Michigan Harbor Country, not far from the Warren Dunes State Park. Great location, and great brews.

I stopped to sample the Sunspot, a hefeweizen, and Anger, a black IPA. It was a tough call, but I chose to buy a growler of Anger.

The growler was popped open this weekend and it has been two days of utter enjoyment. Poured into a Duvel tulip, the beer is dark as night with a frothy tan head that recedes to leave a thick coat of lacing on the glass.

On the second day of the growler, I notice a tad less carbonation and that is just fine with me. The hoppiness has also faded since it was bottled three weeks ago and this beer smells and tastes more like a smokey porter than a black ipa.

The beer gets much more complex as it's allowed to warm to room temperature. Again it tastes like a fresh Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes than a two-day-old growler.

I am a satisfied customer. Greenbush really impresses me. Looking forward to a Labor Day weekend beer stop. (1,174 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler picked up by Dave (dschuster03). Served in a Russian River tulip. This is an American Black Ale - not a "Belgian IPA"?!

A - A half-finger of tan foam settles to a thin ring, wispy cap, and tiny dots of lace. The body is a dark brown color.

S - Smell is great - exactly what I want from this style. It's a blend of roasted malts, chocolate, floral and grassy hops, and perhaps a touch of citrus.

T - The taste is also quite nice, with a blend of roastiness, chocolate, and citrus hop flavors. This thankfully lacks the char, ash, and astringent black malt flavors I get from many Black IPAs.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a grainy and somewhat gritty texture. There's some mild stickiness in the finish. Could stand to be a bit softer here.

D - A very enjoyable Black IPA, and much better than almost all of the ones available in the Chicago area. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Greenbush sends a few kegs of this one our way, as I'd love to revisit it without having to make the long trek to Sawyer. My second experience with this brewery, and they're two for two. (1,095 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to dschuster03 for sharing this growler.

A - Dark brown colored beer with a bit of khaki head that left some spots on the glass.

S - Roasted malts, little bit of bitter chocolate, floral hops. Really great smelling.

T - This is a very tasty beer that doesn't get too heavy for the style. Nice roasty malts with some good hoppyness. Very clean tasting with a touch of citrus in there to brighten it up a bit.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O - A really nice beer. Easy to drink, and has great flavors. I really liked this beer a lot and find it a great example of the style. (599 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +8%

I don't have a lot of experience with this style, my only other beer in the category is Founders Artist Inspired Black IPA. While I was ambivalent about that one (surprising since I'm a huge Founders fan) this offering by Greenbush is surprisingly tasty.

Appearance: Nice black appearance with a medium dark blackish head

Smell: Pleasing, slightly roasty, aroma

Taste: This is where this little gem really starts to shine. Nice malty balance to the hoppy finish. I’m reminded of a Bell's Two Heart. Really, this one is that good!

Mouthfeel: Nice hoppy mouthfeel, with a slight roasty notes..

Overall: After tasting the Founders Black IPA, I was ready to write this style off entirely. I'm glad I didn't. I'm headed back to the store for a six pack. (755 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours pitch black with a finger length mocha colored head that went away fairly slowly and left a thin ring of lacing. Nice balance in the aroma for a black ipa, but not overpowering at all. Get floral and faint pine notes from the hops, while also getting lots of roasted malts, licorice, and some dark chocolate notes. Nice balance in the taste as well. Starts with floral notes, some orange, pine. Then a burst of roasted malts come through and mix with the hop flavors. Start to get dark chocolate notes as well. The finish is a great balance of hoppy and roasty flavors. More of the floral, orange, and pine along with roasted malts and creamy dark chocolate. Get some ashy/smokey flavors as well. Do get that belgian flavor from the malts, but it is minimal and adds to the complexity of the beer. High medium body with a really nice creamy mouthfeel. Somewhat clean on the finish too: no resinous hop oils left behind. I thought this was an outstanding example of what a black ipa should be. Definitely hoppy, but incorporated with a hefty dose of roasted, dark malts nicely. Greenbush continues to impress. (1,114 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 fluid ounce bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - The first thing that I noticed was that my normal pour yielded a mountain of mocha head. It is a very foamy beer. The body is very dark. It looks a lot like a porter.

S - This black IPA has a more noticeable roasted character. I can smell some chocolate and some citrus.

T - It starts out with the roasted malt. I get some chocolate, cocoa, and some black coffee. The finish has a mild citrus flavor.

M - Full and creamy like a good stout.

O - This is probably my favorite black IPA to date. I love the balance between the hops and the roasted malt. Most black IPA's are hop bombs with roasted malt. This is more like a hoppy stout. The hops compliment this beer perfectly. It pairs well with Metallica's St. Anger (song or the album). (794 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, pours black with slight mahogany hues when held to a light, huge foamy tan head, excellent retention, some lacing. Fresh, dank, citric and floral hops - mainly grapefruit, with some dark malts on the nose. Tastes include an excellent meld of roasted malts, chocolate, biscuity grain, caramel, grapefruit rind, and pine. Very creamy mouth-feel, bitterness lingers with roastiness in there as well. Overall, I really enjoyed this offering from Greenbush. I look forward to trying more of their beers. (514 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

$1.79 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo. Brewed with Maris Otter, Munich, Crystal 10L, Crystal 60L, British Chocolate, Carafa III, Wheat Malt. Hopped with Columbus, Amarillo, Simcoe, and Cascade
85 ibu, 7.6% by vol., 28.3º Lovibond

Pours out to a lightly cloudy light black (bottle conditioned), forming a modest light tan head with good retention and lacing. Mild to moderate carbonation, ~2.0 carbs or so. The nose is pungent with fine hops...skunkweed MJ, pine, and cat piss with a hint of roast character. The mouthfeel is pleasantly stinging with hop bite (not bitterness) with a medium dense body and finishing with a hop astringency. The taste is great...a wonderful balance of hop bomb and roasted malts with a well balanced bitterness, a little bit of chalk towards the finish, and more hops and roast lingering long after the swallow. Lots of resinous hop character. Bitterness is medium to medium strong, enough to please most hop heads but not severe enough that it interferes with the drinkability or relative balance.

A great example of the style. Black IPA fans will not be disappointed. This is only my 4th beer from Greenbush, but thus far I have been impressed. Would buy again. (1,191 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served from growler into English pint glass.

Pours a very dark brown to black color. Not much of a head, less than a finger. Appears to have low carbonation. Light lacing occurs.

The first thing that comes to mind is coffee and roasted malts when I smell this thing and since I love coffee beers and stouts in general, this smells amazing. There are some nice earthy hops behind the malt, but no real bold hop aromas hit me in the nose.

Very similar to the aroma. Big, sweet, roasty malts hit you on the first part of the taste. The hop bitterness hits next and sticks around for a little bit. Seems pretty straightforward, nothing overly complex in here, but I like that. Kind of reminds me of what I would think of as hoppy stout. Different than other "black ipas" that I've had.

Mouthfeel was a little above average. Loved the "fullness" factor of the beer, as it was a little more heavy bodied than other black ipas I've had. A little low on carbonation, although that could be from the growler. Hop flavors stick in the mouth for awhile.

Overall this was a pretty good beer. Could use a little more carbonation, but loved the full bodiedness of the beer. Hops weren't over the top like in other american black ales. They stuck out for sure, but complemented the beer rather than overtook it. (1,301 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to Wendall for this one!

A: Pours a dark brown with a one finger tan colored head on top. It settles quickly to a thin cap on top, thin lacing forming all around the glass.

S: Lots of chocolate and roast upfront with some floral hops on the backend. Really nice combination, lots of both the dark and hop.

T: Similar to the aroma, some nice chocolate and roasted malt upfront with a little bit of floral hops mixed in, with a hint of citrus.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

O: A nice Black IPA, better than most I have had. Neither the roast nor the hops dominate the flavor profile as it does on many others in the style. (669 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This pours a dark cola-caramel in color. The aroma is piney, dank, and slightly earthy with the grapefruit that I’ve come to expect in a black IPA. There’s a sticky, piney bitterness on the palate, with a grapefruitty dankness and a resiny finish contrasting a hint of roast. More, please. (293 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

from notes on 7/18/11 at Kalamazoo Beer Exchange

85 ibu

A: Pitch-black beer. Light brown head that pours about a half finger, but stays about a half a finger nail the whole way down. With a good amount of lacing and good head retention.

S: dank hops, deep, dark, roasty

T: coffee, bourbon, and chocolate. Along with the classic piney & floral hops of an IPA. A bitter and hoppy (but not overly hoppy) finish.

M: medium to full body with low carbonation. Very filling

O: originally rated from notes on 7/18/11 at Kalamazoo Beer Exchange, additional notes and rating from bottle bought at Spartan Spirits 2/23/13 (618 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

This beer gushes a deep dark brownish black and a great head crowns with great lacing on my Southern Tier tulip.

Amazing aroma wafts through the senses. One of the best BIPA aromas I have experienced. The aromatics of the black roasted malt are dry and then transition directly into bold pine needle hops along with some nice fruity notes.

Cant wait for the taste after that nose. Could not stop smelling this one, just intense.

The taste is a surprise but not too surprising. It is still intense with the black malt flavor but does not have something I picked up before. Maybe the hops? But they too are intense. Mostly pine and a touch of citrus. Just a bit different than the nose but it's good. Very bitter finish.

M: Sharp and carbonated mouthfeel and slightly harsh.

I liked the aroma the most and the taste was good. I think this one was meant to be abrasive (hence the name) so I guess they hit the target. Pretty good heavy hitting black IPA. My first sample of Greenbush just a stones throw from Warren Dunes...heaven on earth. (1,042 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from bottle into snifter.

A: Nice dark brown with a gorgeous tan head. This beer looks awesome.

S: Smells piney and citrus. With a little booziness in there too.

T: Starts off a little sweet, getting citrus notes, dark malts, ending with a nice bitter pine finish.

M: Good mouthfeel, carbonation is just right.

O: This is my second offering from Greenbush, and never has a newer brewery impressed me like they have. I love everything they've done with this one, the maltiness, the hoppyness, watch out for Greenbush Brewing! (537 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured slowly down the side of a nonic from a 12 oz bottle. Dark in color. Light barely peeks through a dark amber window around the edges. Left a pinky thick, dark sandy colored head that was light and foamy and disappeared into a silky beer ceiling. Very light lacing.

Aroma: Coffee apparent. A subtle long grass breeze swoops in followed by a spicy chocolate. Spice slightly tickles the back of your throat.

Taste: Coffee comes through first. Its quickly followed by sweet chocolate and a grassy hop character. All is pushed aside by a tongue lashing of spicy hop character that sticks to your gums and teeth. Spice slowly fades out and leaves you with a grassy bubble gum to chew on until you take your next drink.

Mouth feel: Medium body. Its a bitter beer at 85 IBU's. The hops takeover here. Water feel at first followed by the medium body that turns into thick hop, bitter consistency.

Overall: A great beer. Solid! Has everything you could want from a Black IPA. Greenbush is coming. Look out! (1,008 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Picked up a single bottle to try. Poured a good two fingered head that settled to a light ring with some spotty lacing. I rate it high for looks because it is what I expect for a good beer. I only would like it better if had a little better head retention. As for fitting the style, I'd say it's as it should be. The smell was nice and hoppy right off and roasted malts latter. Fairly strong but not complex but for me to notice with my nose it is impressive to me.

I loved the balanced flavor between roasted malts and the piney hops, nice. This is dry and clean but after 2/3 through it left too much lingering bitter. Taste follows the nose and has depth but I don't pick up a lot of other complex flavors, maybe I am just not that imaginative. Not as pleased with mouthfeel. A bit thin and became too astringent toward the end but I am being nit-picky. Medium carbonation is good.

Overall I would go back to this one. Above average but not wow and fairly priced. Greenbush you have my attention. (1,002 characters)

Anger from Greenbush Brewing Company