Anger - Greenbush Brewing Company

AngerAnger

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: minterro on 07-21-2011)
4.39/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Anger has an onyx color, a gentle reminder that this is a beer that will deliver some intensity. A small ecru head rests on top of the beer, but the small size is more due to the nature of the pour than the beer itself.

The aroma is a sharp blend of roasted malt, dark chocolate, coffee, and pine and citrus hops. It is easy to distinguish the aromas, but they work together nicely.

My first sip starts off with a bang; fully roasted malt, smoke, dark unsweetened chocolate, and strong black coffee all come through. The flavor at this point is enough to be considered a flavorful beer. But then the hop flavors start playing games with my taste buds. There is a dash of grapefruit and orange citrus, but the main player is a strong spicy, resiny pine note. The hops and coffee work together to bring a bitter finish, although there is not much aftertaste.

The thickness of this mouthfeel is right around where I want it to be. At 7.6%, I want something that has some bite to it, and Anger does not disappoint. The carbonation is creamy and smooth. Out of the bottle the carbonation is a little bit out of control, so I like it better on tap. There is a bit of hoppy resin residue left on my lips after each sip.

Anger is one of the top American Black Ales out there, no question. This is a great beer that straddles two categories rather nicely. I order this regularly.

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

"Anger," - On Tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

A: Pours a very dark brown with little to no lacing on my glass. However, the waitress filled my pint up to the brim (thank you!), so it may have had some at one point. It's definitely not very sticky, which concerns me that it may be a bit "watery," but we shall see.

S: Suprised. I smell a lot more hops than any roasted malts, which is not typically of many other Black IPAs that I've had. In fact, I don't smell anything else other than the hops. I believe the hops are Columbus...the smell reminds me of a beer I brewed using Columbus hops...I could be wrong on this though. Anyway, I'm partial to a strong hop presence over roasted malts in my IPAs, so I'm excited about this one.

T: You actually can taste the roasted malts in the initial drink, however, the strong hop profile takes over from there. I really like the taste of this beer...At first, I thought the hop profile faded too quickly, but now that I've drank 1/2 of it, that taste is just sticking around...which I'm pretty happy about. However, I do warn people who usually like this style because of the Roasted Malts, that you will probably be disappointed, as that is not where this beer shines. The roasted malts are a nice addition to a beer that shines in other ways that I just discussed.

M: Mid-light body for the style. It wasn't as watery as it looked, thank goodness. It has a dryer finish (thank you cotton-mouth hops!) that makes you want to drink more.

O: I want to say that this is my favorite Black IPA that I've had. Although, I really liked Stone's as well. I'd have to try them side by side to compare. If you prefer a hops-forward profile over roasted malts in your Black IPAs, then you'll enjoy ANGER. I do, so this beer is solid in my opinion. Well done Greenbush!

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

Greenbush is one of the best new mcrobreweries in 2011. In fact, when I stopped by for a taste of their brews on August 5, they had been in business less than two months.

Sawyer, MI is a small town in Michigan Harbor Country, not far from the Warren Dunes State Park. Great location, and great brews.

I stopped to sample the Sunspot, a hefeweizen, and Anger, a black IPA. It was a tough call, but I chose to buy a growler of Anger.

The growler was popped open this weekend and it has been two days of utter enjoyment. Poured into a Duvel tulip, the beer is dark as night with a frothy tan head that recedes to leave a thick coat of lacing on the glass.

On the second day of the growler, I notice a tad less carbonation and that is just fine with me. The hoppiness has also faded since it was bottled three weeks ago and this beer smells and tastes more like a smokey porter than a black ipa.

The beer gets much more complex as it's allowed to warm to room temperature. Again it tastes like a fresh Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes than a two-day-old growler.

I am a satisfied customer. Greenbush really impresses me. Looking forward to a Labor Day weekend beer stop.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler picked up by Dave (dschuster03). Served in a Russian River tulip. This is an American Black Ale - not a "Belgian IPA"?!

A - A half-finger of tan foam settles to a thin ring, wispy cap, and tiny dots of lace. The body is a dark brown color.

S - Smell is great - exactly what I want from this style. It's a blend of roasted malts, chocolate, floral and grassy hops, and perhaps a touch of citrus.

T - The taste is also quite nice, with a blend of roastiness, chocolate, and citrus hop flavors. This thankfully lacks the char, ash, and astringent black malt flavors I get from many Black IPAs.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a grainy and somewhat gritty texture. There's some mild stickiness in the finish. Could stand to be a bit softer here.

D - A very enjoyable Black IPA, and much better than almost all of the ones available in the Chicago area. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Greenbush sends a few kegs of this one our way, as I'd love to revisit it without having to make the long trek to Sawyer. My second experience with this brewery, and they're two for two.

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Thanks to dschuster03 for sharing this growler.

A - Dark brown colored beer with a bit of khaki head that left some spots on the glass.

S - Roasted malts, little bit of bitter chocolate, floral hops. Really great smelling.

T - This is a very tasty beer that doesn't get too heavy for the style. Nice roasty malts with some good hoppyness. Very clean tasting with a touch of citrus in there to brighten it up a bit.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O - A really nice beer. Easy to drink, and has great flavors. I really liked this beer a lot and find it a great example of the style.

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours pitch black with a finger length mocha colored head that went away fairly slowly and left a thin ring of lacing. Nice balance in the aroma for a black ipa, but not overpowering at all. Get floral and faint pine notes from the hops, while also getting lots of roasted malts, licorice, and some dark chocolate notes. Nice balance in the taste as well. Starts with floral notes, some orange, pine. Then a burst of roasted malts come through and mix with the hop flavors. Start to get dark chocolate notes as well. The finish is a great balance of hoppy and roasty flavors. More of the floral, orange, and pine along with roasted malts and creamy dark chocolate. Get some ashy/smokey flavors as well. Do get that belgian flavor from the malts, but it is minimal and adds to the complexity of the beer. High medium body with a really nice creamy mouthfeel. Somewhat clean on the finish too: no resinous hop oils left behind. I thought this was an outstanding example of what a black ipa should be. Definitely hoppy, but incorporated with a hefty dose of roasted, dark malts nicely. Greenbush continues to impress.

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

I don't have a lot of experience with this style, my only other beer in the category is Founders Artist Inspired Black IPA. While I was ambivalent about that one (surprising since I'm a huge Founders fan) this offering by Greenbush is surprisingly tasty.

Appearance: Nice black appearance with a medium dark blackish head

Smell: Pleasing, slightly roasty, aroma

Taste: This is where this little gem really starts to shine. Nice malty balance to the hoppy finish. I’m reminded of a Bell's Two Heart. Really, this one is that good!

Mouthfeel: Nice hoppy mouthfeel, with a slight roasty notes..

Overall: After tasting the Founders Black IPA, I was ready to write this style off entirely. I'm glad I didn't. I'm headed back to the store for a six pack.

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, pours black with slight mahogany hues when held to a light, huge foamy tan head, excellent retention, some lacing. Fresh, dank, citric and floral hops - mainly grapefruit, with some dark malts on the nose. Tastes include an excellent meld of roasted malts, chocolate, biscuity grain, caramel, grapefruit rind, and pine. Very creamy mouth-feel, bitterness lingers with roastiness in there as well. Overall, I really enjoyed this offering from Greenbush. I look forward to trying more of their beers.

4.26/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 fluid ounce bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - The first thing that I noticed was that my normal pour yielded a mountain of mocha head. It is a very foamy beer. The body is very dark. It looks a lot like a porter.

S - This black IPA has a more noticeable roasted character. I can smell some chocolate and some citrus.

T - It starts out with the roasted malt. I get some chocolate, cocoa, and some black coffee. The finish has a mild citrus flavor.

M - Full and creamy like a good stout.

O - This is probably my favorite black IPA to date. I love the balance between the hops and the roasted malt. Most black IPA's are hop bombs with roasted malt. This is more like a hoppy stout. The hops compliment this beer perfectly. It pairs well with Metallica's St. Anger (song or the album).

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to Wendall for this one!

A: Pours a dark brown with a one finger tan colored head on top. It settles quickly to a thin cap on top, thin lacing forming all around the glass.

S: Lots of chocolate and roast upfront with some floral hops on the backend. Really nice combination, lots of both the dark and hop.

T: Similar to the aroma, some nice chocolate and roasted malt upfront with a little bit of floral hops mixed in, with a hint of citrus.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

O: A nice Black IPA, better than most I have had. Neither the roast nor the hops dominate the flavor profile as it does on many others in the style.

Anger from Greenbush Brewing Company