Anger - Greenbush Brewing Company

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  7.60% ABV

Beer added by: minterro on 07-21-2011

4.11/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Picked up a single bottle to try. Poured a good two fingered head that settled to a light ring with some spotty lacing. I rate it high for looks because it is what I expect for a good beer. I only would like it better if had a little better head retention. As for fitting the style, I'd say it's as it should be. The smell was nice and hoppy right off and roasted malts latter. Fairly strong but not complex but for me to notice with my nose it is impressive to me.

I loved the balanced flavor between roasted malts and the piney hops, nice. This is dry and clean but after 2/3 through it left too much lingering bitter. Taste follows the nose and has depth but I don't pick up a lot of other complex flavors, maybe I am just not that imaginative. Not as pleased with mouthfeel. A bit thin and became too astringent toward the end but I am being nit-picky. Medium carbonation is good.

Overall I would go back to this one. Above average but not wow and fairly priced. Greenbush you have my attention.

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance: Pours a deep, opaque black brown with a towering three and a half fingers of thick greyish tan foam.

Smell: Fairly muted aroma of toasted malt, cocoa powder, caramel, coffee and a faint, almost grape-like, fruitiness.

Taste: Faint citrus, roasted and caramel malts, cocoa, pine, some bitter grapefruit rind and a nice spicy bite. Superbly balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and fairly creamy with a lightly crisp finish.

Overall, this is one of the best black IPAs I've had. Unique, complex, flavorful, and perfectly balanced, this is a beer lover's beer.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 3/4/2013. Pours pitch black color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of huge mango, passionfruit, tangerine, caramel, toast, floral, light roast, and floral earthiness. Nice and interesting aromas with huge tropical hop presence and minimal malts. Taste of mango, passionfruit, tangerine, orange zest, roasted malt, light char, toast, coffee, floral, and roasted earthiness. Fair amount of floral bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, tropical, roasted malt, light char, toast, and floral on the finish for a bit. Good complexity of roasted malt and hop flavors; with a good malt/hop balance and no cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and lightly sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a good black IPA. Good balance of malt and hop flavors; and smooth to sip on. An enjoyable offering.

3.62/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: black body with a tan two finger head that leaves some lacing.

Aroma: I could smell the piney hops when I popped the cap;

Flavors: nice hoppy spice for a black IPA; roasted grains mix it up with some citrus and pine

Mouthfeel: good bitterness, medium-full body, mild-moderate fizzy carbonation feel, pine on the aftertaste, very dry

To the Point: I have had several black IPAs and this one does have a little attitude with the bitterness compared to the other ones. If you like to have an IPA with a little black lager – this is it

3.72/5  rDev -5.6%

On tap at Pete's Garage. In the dimly lit restaurant, the beer is seemingly black, only traced with a wood-stained brown around the very edges when held up to the light. It's capped with a coffee-and-cream colored head that mellows out at a few millimeters thick and leaves small bits of wet, dripping lacing on the sides of the glass.

Chocolate malt is the first thing that my senses pick up on as I take my first whiff - it's got a hefty, dry cocoa aroma to it. Crushed coffee beans, burnt caramel, and some roasted malts make up the remainder of the malt bill contribution. Hops are in full force; leafs, mild pine, and even a small, citrus-filled finish. Reminds me a little of Shorts' Goodnight Bodacious, only this one is a little more tame and not quite as coffee-heavy.

The citric character in the nose is only amplified on the palate - heavy citrus up front; a good helping of peppery grapefruit and tangerine. It's actually almost tart for a brief moment before the leafy and herbal notes start to creep in and take over. The malts crescendo through the background and halfway through, they are in full force; slightly roasted coffee beans, cocoa powder, and some charred wood. The aftertaste is full of burnt hops with a roasty malt and faintly citric flavor combination. Medium bodied, decent carbonation with a slick and almost crisp mouth feel.

I don't know why, but I wasn't feeling the vibe on this one quite like everyone else. It was okay, but not something I would seek out or pick up again, unless I had a super-huge craving for a black IPA and there were no other one's available. I'd take both Shorts' black IPAs over this one (Bludgeon Yer Eye and Goodnight Bodacious). I guess my main complaint with this is that the citrus profile of the hops didn't mesh too favorably with the malt bill. I would have rather seen more herbal, ashy, spicy hops. Wish in one hand, I guess.

Anger from Greenbush Brewing Company