Anger - Greenbush Brewing Company

AngerAnger

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: minterro on 07-21-2011)

fredmugs, Apr 02, 2013

Sparty55, Mar 31, 2013

NSK79, Mar 30, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured slowly down the side of a nonic from a 12 oz bottle. Dark in color. Light barely peeks through a dark amber window around the edges. Left a pinky thick, dark sandy colored head that was light and foamy and disappeared into a silky beer ceiling. Very light lacing.

Aroma: Coffee apparent. A subtle long grass breeze swoops in followed by a spicy chocolate. Spice slightly tickles the back of your throat.

Taste: Coffee comes through first. Its quickly followed by sweet chocolate and a grassy hop character. All is pushed aside by a tongue lashing of spicy hop character that sticks to your gums and teeth. Spice slowly fades out and leaves you with a grassy bubble gum to chew on until you take your next drink.

Mouth feel: Medium body. Its a bitter beer at 85 IBU's. The hops takeover here. Water feel at first followed by the medium body that turns into thick hop, bitter consistency.

Overall: A great beer. Solid! Has everything you could want from a Black IPA. Greenbush is coming. Look out!

SimcoeJoe, Mar 27, 2013

JVoyager, Mar 26, 2013

Sparky44, Mar 25, 2013
3.99/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a good looking beer. Pours very dark with a medium-high viscosity. Very rich and creamy head that is a mocha color. Looks exciting!

An ok aroma, but I'm not crazy about it. I detect a faint hop character, but the nose is more about the malt. Very sweet smelling, almost like a sweet stout. I detect dextrose, corn, and caramel as well as some faint hops, which are mostly hidden.

A nice flavor. It's rich and full-bodied, but less sugary than it smells (although it's still sweet). There is some nice roast malt flavor. The beer finishes dry due to the malt and hop bitterness. A nice balance making for a drinkable beer.

Kind of a confusing texture. The beer almost feels like a porter. It leaves a syrupy layer which is astringent and smoky. I wish it drank lighter. Carbonation is medium-high.

I like the beer, but it didn't blow me away. It's a fun drinking beer with a really pleasant flavor. It's also an exceptionally good-looking beer. My favorite feature by far.

lunarbrew, Mar 24, 2013

beergorrilla, Mar 23, 2013

shamrock071521, Mar 22, 2013

syntax, Mar 21, 2013
4.06/5  rDev +2.8%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Anger last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I'm still working my way through Greenbush's lineup, I haven't had this beer before but I have had Rage before which I think is suppose to be the imperial version of this beer, I'm in the mood for a Black IPA tonight, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, I know it's fairly fresh since they just showed up. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it had a nice darker look to it that went nice with the name which I also like, Anger just seems like a fitting name for a Black IPA. It poured a nice black color that let hardly any light come through with two fingers worth of medium tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking Black IPA, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma is pretty intense and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight brown sugar like aroma to it followed by a good amount of hops that impart a pretty big resiny and piney aromas with a slight bit of citrus hops that add a little more depth. Up next comes the malts which also stick out a good deal and impart some dark, roasted, and almost charred malt aromas followed by some nice chocolate and coffee aromas and there was also a slight boozy aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it was intense and fairly complex, I enjoyed it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight brown sugar flavor to it and it's followed by a nice amount of hops with some resiny, piney and citrusy hop flavors all showing up equally making for a nice and unique hop profile. Up next comes the malts which impart some dark roasted malts flavors that had a slight charred flavor to them and were followed by a nice medium amount of coffee and chocolate flavors. Towards the end I get a real slight boozy flavor followed by a medium amount of bitterness with a half and half mixture of roasted malts with some resiny and citrus hops in the aftertaste. This was a good tasting Black IPA, it was well balanced and pretty unique.

M- fairly smooth, creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied, with a nice amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel, it worked nicely with it and I have no complaints.

I thought this was a good beer and a good and unique example of a Black IPA, it was nicely balanced with neither the hops or the malts being too overpowering and it wasn't overly bitter. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth and the flavor did a good job at holding my attention, but I couldn't see myself drinking more than two of these, this seems like a nice fall time beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was enjoyable and pretty unique, I liked it. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, I don't think that there's anything that I would change with this beer, it's fine just the way it is. I would buy this bee again when in the mood for a nice and unique Black IPA and I think it's priced well, I would recommend this to anyone who likes Black IPA's. All in all I enjoyed this beer, it did remind me a lot of Rage, but much less intense which made it much more enjoyable. I thought this was a good Black IPA, I still think that Arcadia's B Craft is still my favorite Black IPA, but this beer isn't that far behind. I've been pretty impressed with these new Greenbush beers, it seems like all the beers I have had from them haven't tasted like anything I have had before and I really like that, Keep up the good work guys.

StoutHunter, Mar 20, 2013

warnerry, Mar 15, 2013

Tek9ne, Mar 11, 2013

Rons35, Mar 09, 2013

HoneyLamb, Mar 06, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A pitch black with a dark creamy head that has a good cling to it.

S. hop resin, malts, chocolate and coffee beans.

T. Good level of hop taste up front, some malts, full bodied, toasted nutty flavor, roasted coffee. The balance falls apart as the beer finishes with a heavy handed dose of anise that sticks to the mouth.

O. The charred lack licorice taste left a bad aftertaste and a lot to be desired. I will not be having this again.

andrewjraab, Mar 02, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

BGsWo22, Mar 02, 2013

Danielr26, Feb 27, 2013
4.14/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from bottle into snifter.

A: Nice dark brown with a gorgeous tan head. This beer looks awesome.

S: Smells piney and citrus. With a little booziness in there too.

T: Starts off a little sweet, getting citrus notes, dark malts, ending with a nice bitter pine finish.

M: Good mouthfeel, carbonation is just right.

O: This is my second offering from Greenbush, and never has a newer brewery impressed me like they have. I love everything they've done with this one, the maltiness, the hoppyness, watch out for Greenbush Brewing!

robhbest, Feb 26, 2013