Anger - Greenbush Brewing Company

American Black Ale |  7.60% ABV

Beer added by: minterro on 07-21-2011

Ratings: 486 | Reviews: 71
4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from bottle into snifter.

A: Nice dark brown with a gorgeous tan head. This beer looks awesome.

S: Smells piney and citrus. With a little booziness in there too.

T: Starts off a little sweet, getting citrus notes, dark malts, ending with a nice bitter pine finish.

M: Good mouthfeel, carbonation is just right.

O: This is my second offering from Greenbush, and never has a newer brewery impressed me like they have. I love everything they've done with this one, the maltiness, the hoppyness, watch out for Greenbush Brewing!

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap for $5.99 a pint at Terry's Terrace in Harrison Township (?), Michigan.

Just not as impressed as the majority of people here.

Appearance: Pitch black with a creamy finger or two of head. Pretty gorgeous, if I may say so. The lacing doesn't last through the whole glass, but it's nice looking regardless.

Smell: Quite interesting, like the taste is... smells like a stout or dark coffee with hops. Has roasted malts, coffee, and... hops.

Taste: A lot like the smell, but with tastes of char and smoke as well. The hops aren't present initially, but kick in on the finish. It definitely has a different taste for the average craft beer drinker (whatever that means), but it's certainly not an unpleasant one. I definitely preferred this beer when it was a little bit colder than room temperature -- once it warmed up, the alcohol could be traced, there was a warmth in the throat, the primary taste was that of smoked wood, and the bitterness really kicked in. I didn't hate it, but it was certainly tastier within the first 15-20 minutes of having it, as it seemed to just be more balanced.

It isn't my favorite of the style, but it has a unique taste to it... it had me thinking, and it really changes quite a lot the more it warms up. Wouldn't be my go-to black ale, but it's a very nice offering from a brewery that I have never heard of. Good going, Greenbush.

4.06/5  rDev +3%

I was able to try Anger from Green BUSH at a local tavern that just recently opened. The beer poured a dark nearly opaque amber with thin slightly off-whote head that left spotty lacing. The smell included piney hops and subtle roast. The taste started just as most IPAs ....a nice piney citrus that was quickly replaced with roast and then bittering hops that helped to cleanse the pallet. The mouthfeel was a medium body with smooth carbonation. Overall the beer was decent....but comapred to the Stone SSRIPA it was not as good. I would definitely have it again....and again....and again....if I see it in the future.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Half finger head with nice lacing on a jet black body. Aroma is balanced with roasted malts, earthy hops, with light coffee and vanilla. Flavor is also fairly well balanced for the style with roasted malts and dark chocolate mingling well throughout with the earthy and slightly floral/grassy hops. Medium body and light to moderate carbonation. So many of these aren't very well balanced and either are more of a stout or an IPA but the balance here makes this a nice black IPA it's jut not complex enough to make it the best but still one to try while at the brewery.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

12oz bottle into a tulip.

a - pours a murky brown shade with a thin cap of light brown head. leaves thick rings of lacing in the glass.

s - sweet citrus, faint roasted malt, faint dark fruits, faint pine resin.

t - more of the nose. pine resin, roasted barley, faint grapefruit, faint dark fruits. has an herbal bitterness that hangs on the tongue for quite a while. really an interesting flavor profile. tastes...angry.

t - lighter in body with lighter carbonation and a medium co2 profile.

o - an interesting take on the style. not quite like any other beer i have tried. memorable, but maybe just shy of greatness. worth trying if you come across it.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a growler drawn two days earlier at the greenbush brewery.

Appearance- pours a thick looking, oily dark brown with a huge bubbly, dark tan head. The head dissipated very slowly leaving lacing all over the place. Inpresstive soft head- almost like a nitro-tap.

Smell- A faint roasty coffee note, followed by a resinous marijuana funk, then dominated by a huge hop bomb. What an American black IPA should smell like.

Taste- roasty coffee malts and dark chocolate that fades into bitter plum, then an all out bitter hop finish. Aftertaste is like hoppy cold espresso.

Mouthfeel- Smooth and creamy with a bitter mouth pucker.

Overall. Nothing remarkable, but a dynamite representation of a Black IPA. Very well done. Beauty in simplicity.

Cheers.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

I had several beers on tap at Greenbush on 8/11/2012. By far this beer was the highlight. Noting that I am not a fan of the genre of black ale, I was particularly impressed with this one.

The ale was black in the pint glass with a slighlty off-white head. There was a slight lacing in the glass, though not note-worthy. The aroma was a borderline rancid level of hops. Hopheads will love the aroma. The ale had a smooth mouthfeel, though it was somewhat thin. Citric notes such as grapefruit and pine accompanied a mild maltiness. In the aftertaste, a mild maltiness became more apparent as the citrus notes faded.

Black ales are often an explosion, like every member of a band playing their loudest note at the same time. Anger allows the individual notes of a black ale to stand out.

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

12oz, no dating visible
Central Waters globe

A: Pours out a deep black color with some reddish hues. Only a mild quarter finger of light tan head. Some slight lacing bits.

S: I get a good amount of hops on the nose. Piney, earthy hop aromas. Behind that is some I do get a touch of roast coffee and some chocolate.

T: I get that hop bitterness on the tip of the tongue (and through the mouth). Don't know if it's 85ibus but it's nicely bitter. You certainly get that piney hop bitter flavor. I does overpower the dark malts, which surprises me. Wish it meshed better and blended the styles more. As it warms, I get a little more light roast and chocolate. Finish is actually creamy along with bitterness.

M: it's medium bodied.

O: It's about a B. Not the best BIPA around.

4.36/5  rDev +10.7%

"Anger," - On Tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

A: Pours a very dark brown with little to no lacing on my glass. However, the waitress filled my pint up to the brim (thank you!), so it may have had some at one point. It's definitely not very sticky, which concerns me that it may be a bit "watery," but we shall see.

S: Suprised. I smell a lot more hops than any roasted malts, which is not typically of many other Black IPAs that I've had. In fact, I don't smell anything else other than the hops. I believe the hops are Columbus...the smell reminds me of a beer I brewed using Columbus hops...I could be wrong on this though. Anyway, I'm partial to a strong hop presence over roasted malts in my IPAs, so I'm excited about this one.

T: You actually can taste the roasted malts in the initial drink, however, the strong hop profile takes over from there. I really like the taste of this beer...At first, I thought the hop profile faded too quickly, but now that I've drank 1/2 of it, that taste is just sticking around...which I'm pretty happy about. However, I do warn people who usually like this style because of the Roasted Malts, that you will probably be disappointed, as that is not where this beer shines. The roasted malts are a nice addition to a beer that shines in other ways that I just discussed.

M: Mid-light body for the style. It wasn't as watery as it looked, thank goodness. It has a dryer finish (thank you cotton-mouth hops!) that makes you want to drink more.

O: I want to say that this is my favorite Black IPA that I've had. Although, I really liked Stone's as well. I'd have to try them side by side to compare. If you prefer a hops-forward profile over roasted malts in your Black IPAs, then you'll enjoy ANGER. I do, so this beer is solid in my opinion. Well done Greenbush!

4.11/5  rDev +4.3%

Had on tap at Kuma's Corner. Served in a pint glass.

A: Pours a light black color with dark brown edges where the light catches it. A light tan head forms on the pour and dissipates to a thin collar. It leaves some nice soapy webbing behind.

S: The nose has some fruity citrus hops with some nice roasted malts and some light bitter chocolate. Pretty standard, but good.

T: Wow, the taste is significantly better than the nose. There is a great combination of citrus hop flavors with a nice roasted oat malt body. The bitter chocolate provides a nice base for the citrus and there is also a light coffee bean flavor that plays off the lingering hop flavor. The finish is roasty with a light pine.

M: Medium bodied with a nice carbonation. The finish is refreshing with a drying, roasted finish.

O: Very solid. Really well done with the green hops lingering in the background while the roasted malts and chocolate flavors were upfront. Nicely done Greenbush.

3.86/5  rDev -2%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/14/12
*From notes

-- Another winner from Señor brydeen --

A: Killer bootstrap brown. A good pour yields a 3+ finger head and monster gobs of lacing.

S: Earthy mud and robust hop oil. There's a big dose of malts that round out the bouquet.

T: Bitingly hoppy, and for a beer with a moderate IPA, I'm quite impressed. It certainly comes across as the hoppiest Black Ale I've quaffed to date.

M: A bit overcarbed, which downshifts the entire beer. As I swirl it in my glass a bit, it helps to loosen the carb's death grip and opens 'er up.

O: For a style I don't normally reach for, Greenbush has put together a killer ABA with their Anger. The hops are the first, last and everything in this beer, yet the dark malt really adds a killer complexity to it. Recommended.

4.23/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to Wendall for this one!

A: Pours a dark brown with a one finger tan colored head on top. It settles quickly to a thin cap on top, thin lacing forming all around the glass.

S: Lots of chocolate and roast upfront with some floral hops on the backend. Really nice combination, lots of both the dark and hop.

T: Similar to the aroma, some nice chocolate and roasted malt upfront with a little bit of floral hops mixed in, with a hint of citrus.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

O: A nice Black IPA, better than most I have had. Neither the roast nor the hops dominate the flavor profile as it does on many others in the style.

Reviewing the Anger from Greenbush Brewing Company out of Michigan. This is a relatively new brewery, and I believed they opened less than a year ago.
Score: 90

16 oz tap pour served in a pint glass at Kuma's Corner in Chicago. Kuma's has some of the best food in the city, and they always have interesting stuff on tap. Last time I stopped in to eat they had Surly Darkness on tap. It was too dark in the restaurant to snap a picture, and this is a draft only beer right now. Alas, no picture.

Appearance: Pours a black coffee color with a thin layer of tan head. Mostly opaque with brown highlights at the top of the glass. Pretty good lacing. 4/5

Smell: Floral citrusy hops, some roasted malts, and light chocolate/raisin. 4/5

Taste: Tastes like a pale ale bookended with light stout qualities. Light raisin and a hint of chocolate up front and in the finish. Earthy, piney hops bitterness and roasted maltiness on the midpalate. There's a little bit of citrus cutting thru the roasty maltiness too. Finish has some bitter hops flavor. More chocolate and dark fruit characteristics in the finish as it layers. A really solid brew. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Creamy mouthfeel. Balanced and drinkable with a slight bitter hops and roasted chocolate linger. 3.5/5

Overall: A very solid, true-to-style black ale. I would certainly drink this one again.

Recommendation: Worth seeking out. The hops characteristics of this brew are more mellow than most pale ales, so it should have a broader appeal to casual beer drinkers -- at least in theory.

Pairings: Hamburgers (by default).

Cost: $7 or $8 for a pint.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured out of a growler, courtesy of Mattyb319...thanks Matt!

A- Black, quite black. A bit of burgundy around the edges when held up to the light, with a healthy tan head resting on top. Good lacing, great head retention.

S- Nice! First thing to jump out of the glass is the hops: floral, slight citrus, a hint of tropical fruit, and peaches and cream. This is coupled with a nice wave of milk chocolate and a bit of roasted malt. As the beer warms, the peaches and cream becomes less prominent and the milk chocolate comes more to the front.

T- Follows the nose, with more of the roast coming through in the taste, and the beer leaves more lingering bitterness than the aroma would have suggested. I think this is a good balance between hop character and caramel/roasted malt presence, which is what we all seem to seek out in a black ipa.

M- This is the one area in which I don't think this brew performs quite as well. It's still good, good carbonation, creamy, medium-bodied mouthfeel, but it leaves a slightly harsh finish that just doesn't sit quite right on my palatte. I will, however, give this beer credit for disguising the 7.6% abv...no alcohol presence at all, well done.

O- Great beer and I'm glad I had the chance to try this...really makes me want to get my hands on some more Greenbush brews. My buddy Matt clued me in on the great things that this brewery is putting out, and he's definitely right. If Greenbush isn't on your radar now, it will be soon.

4.42/5  rDev +12.2%

Had on tap at the brewery.

A-Pours a deep dark brown pretty much black. One finger dark tan head rises and fades away to spotty lacing rather quickly.

S- This beer has the perfect balance in the aroma with the roasted malts and bittering hops playing the two major parts with light bitter chocolate and settle alcohol bringing up the the rest of the aroma.

T- The roasted malts in the front give way to a hint of bitter chocolate. The malts do a good job of not overkilling the palate in the front and you can tell when the light grassy hops and citrus hops kick in right afterward. The ending of the beer is a balance of roasted malts and hints of citrus hops to me.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation I think is perfect for this beer. Medium alcohol drying on the palate with each sip. Clean roasted malts and hints of bitter hops are left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly alcohol, citrusy hops, and clean roasted malts. Flavors were very balanced for this style with no off flavors present while drinking this beer.

O- This has got to be one of the best Black IPA's I have had. One of my favorite beers from Greenbush and a style they do well. The balance between roast and hop without overdoing either or is something a lot of brewers could take a lesson on. Fantastic beer

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to dschuster03 for sharing this growler.

A - Dark brown colored beer with a bit of khaki head that left some spots on the glass.

S - Roasted malts, little bit of bitter chocolate, floral hops. Really great smelling.

T - This is a very tasty beer that doesn't get too heavy for the style. Nice roasty malts with some good hoppyness. Very clean tasting with a touch of citrus in there to brighten it up a bit.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O - A really nice beer. Easy to drink, and has great flavors. I really liked this beer a lot and find it a great example of the style.

4.44/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks, Dave! Poured into Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - Pours black, tan colored head, thin collar, spotty lace.

S - Nice mix of light bitter hops, roast, slight chocolate. Really nice and once of the better-smelling Black IPA's I've had. Just very smooth and the hops vs. roast is right down the middle.

T - Grassy hops, some floral notes, roast, chocolate. The taste lives up to the nose, perhaps better. Really nice mix of both..so good.

M - Light to medium body, good carbonation, roast finish.

O - A really great Black IPA that I would keep drinking over and over. I knew nothings about Greenbush before drinking this beer and now I'm inclined to try some of their other offerings. This one is a winner!

4.34/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler picked up by Dave (dschuster03). Served in a Russian River tulip. This is an American Black Ale - not a "Belgian IPA"?!

A - A half-finger of tan foam settles to a thin ring, wispy cap, and tiny dots of lace. The body is a dark brown color.

S - Smell is great - exactly what I want from this style. It's a blend of roasted malts, chocolate, floral and grassy hops, and perhaps a touch of citrus.

T - The taste is also quite nice, with a blend of roastiness, chocolate, and citrus hop flavors. This thankfully lacks the char, ash, and astringent black malt flavors I get from many Black IPAs.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a grainy and somewhat gritty texture. There's some mild stickiness in the finish. Could stand to be a bit softer here.

D - A very enjoyable Black IPA, and much better than almost all of the ones available in the Chicago area. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Greenbush sends a few kegs of this one our way, as I'd love to revisit it without having to make the long trek to Sawyer. My second experience with this brewery, and they're two for two.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Greenbush is one of the best new mcrobreweries in 2011. In fact, when I stopped by for a taste of their brews on August 5, they had been in business less than two months.

Sawyer, MI is a small town in Michigan Harbor Country, not far from the Warren Dunes State Park. Great location, and great brews.

I stopped to sample the Sunspot, a hefeweizen, and Anger, a black IPA. It was a tough call, but I chose to buy a growler of Anger.

The growler was popped open this weekend and it has been two days of utter enjoyment. Poured into a Duvel tulip, the beer is dark as night with a frothy tan head that recedes to leave a thick coat of lacing on the glass.

On the second day of the growler, I notice a tad less carbonation and that is just fine with me. The hoppiness has also faded since it was bottled three weeks ago and this beer smells and tastes more like a smokey porter than a black ipa.

The beer gets much more complex as it's allowed to warm to room temperature. Again it tastes like a fresh Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes than a two-day-old growler.

I am a satisfied customer. Greenbush really impresses me. Looking forward to a Labor Day weekend beer stop.

4.24/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served from growler into English pint glass.

Pours a very dark brown to black color. Not much of a head, less than a finger. Appears to have low carbonation. Light lacing occurs.

The first thing that comes to mind is coffee and roasted malts when I smell this thing and since I love coffee beers and stouts in general, this smells amazing. There are some nice earthy hops behind the malt, but no real bold hop aromas hit me in the nose.

Very similar to the aroma. Big, sweet, roasty malts hit you on the first part of the taste. The hop bitterness hits next and sticks around for a little bit. Seems pretty straightforward, nothing overly complex in here, but I like that. Kind of reminds me of what I would think of as hoppy stout. Different than other "black ipas" that I've had.

Mouthfeel was a little above average. Loved the "fullness" factor of the beer, as it was a little more heavy bodied than other black ipas I've had. A little low on carbonation, although that could be from the growler. Hop flavors stick in the mouth for awhile.

Overall this was a pretty good beer. Could use a little more carbonation, but loved the full bodiedness of the beer. Hops weren't over the top like in other american black ales. They stuck out for sure, but complemented the beer rather than overtook it.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

from notes on 7/18/11 at Kalamazoo Beer Exchange

85 ibu

A: Pitch-black beer. Light brown head that pours about a half finger, but stays about a half a finger nail the whole way down. With a good amount of lacing and good head retention.

S: dank hops, deep, dark, roasty

T: coffee, bourbon, and chocolate. Along with the classic piney & floral hops of an IPA. A bitter and hoppy (but not overly hoppy) finish.

M: medium to full body with low carbonation. Very filling

O: originally rated from notes on 7/18/11 at Kalamazoo Beer Exchange, additional notes and rating from bottle bought at Spartan Spirits 2/23/13

Anger from Greenbush Brewing Company