Dunegräs - Greenbush Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 332 | Reviews: 48
Reviews by PhilMiller:
3.41/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to Mike for handing this one over to me. Pours a swampy and murky orange and burnt sienna color - the initial pour reveals some huge stringy looking sediment before it gets lost in the intense haze of the beer. The slightly off-white head settles quickly into a thin cover atop the unfiltered brew.

The aroma is pretty light overall; mild citrus fruit and skins. Light juicy characteristics, almost a little like taking a whiff of actually fruit-juice, if it wasn't for the underlying hop notes. Slight white pepper and tiny herbal notes make up a majority of the green notes. When all is said and done, it doesn't smell bad at all, but it's quite underwhelming. A bit mild and one-dimensional. I know it sounds funny to call an "IPA" one dimensional, because they're all just about the hops, right? Eh, not quite. This one just doesn't really stand out in any kind of way and the nose is slightly under-powered.

Dunegras is a bit watery on the mouth - very wet and leaving a bit to be desired. It starts off with a combo of citrus and mild peppery spice. As the nose indicated, the hop flavors remain mostly ashy and herbal. As the beers warms up, I pick up some lightly floral and very little pine notes, too, but still with heavy herbal overtones. The malt is pretty heavy and noticeable - breadiness and very light caramel sweetness back the hops up. Near the end, some more distinct fruits come out - light apricot and grapefruit. Aftertaste is mildly leafy and fruity, not too bitter, but not that sweet, either. The body is pretty thin and it leaves a sticky coating all around my mouth. Medium carbonation.

Definitely not a bad beer, just fairly unimpressive in basically all facets of the game. I enjoyed the gift from Mike, but this is something I would probably not purchase if I saw it in a store now. There's just too many other options and this is giving me no reason to every pick it over the rest.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Pours a slightly hazy copper with one finger of head. Nice lacing.

S -- Big citrus aroma, both orange pulp and a bit of grapefruit. Also some caramel malt. Nice.

T -- Similar to smell, nice citrus burst up front. Not overly bitter , but a decent bitterness throughout. Enough caramel malt to balance, but not too malty.

M -- Medium mouthfeel with nice amount of carbonation that gives some creaminess.

O -- Enjoyable IPA. Solid all around, and something I would have again, but not amazing.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

This is a Solid IPA from Michigan.

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to Wendall for this one!

A: Pours a dark copper color with some ruby tint to it. Small off-white head with little retention, reducing to a thin cap on top. Thin lacing forms around the entire glass.

S: A little on the weak side with some floral/grassy hops, a little bit of orange, and some caramel.

T: Some citrus fruits up front, mostly orange and a little lemon peal, slightly bitter. The second wave is full of bready and caramel malt.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

O: A middle of the road IPA. Better than average, but probably wouldn't be my go to.

3.79/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The Dunegras fro the Bush is decent. I would classify it as a Belgian ipa. The beer poured a clear copper with white head that left a nice lace. The scent was definitely Belgian leaning. The taste was nicely balanced with Belgian sugar/malt present.the m outhfeel is medium in body with good carbonation. Overall this beer is sessionable and I would recommend it.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler.

Appearance - Copper body. Nice big white head with great lacing. Excellent retention.

Smell - Grassy and piney. Some caramel and bready malts.

Taste - Grassy hops. Gets a little spicy, even. Bready malt with just a hint of sweetness. Aggressively grassy and bitter. Just a hint of citrus in the back end.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. A little creamy. Medium carbonation.

Overall - The hop profile isn't my thing, but every other part hits the spot.

This is a nice IPA. Nothing that jumps out and makes it special, but definitly a decent IPA.

The beer pours a dark golden color with off-white head.

Floral and citrus hops dominate the aroma.

Taste is hoppy. Nice american IPA. Bitter and floral. Citrus tones are presant. Caramel malts really balance out the flavor.

Good beer.

3.72/5  rDev -3.4%

On tap at Headquarters, served in a footed tulip glass. Copper orange color, slightly hazy, but bright when held to the light. An initial fingers width of foam, settling down to a broken skim and ring around the edges after a few sips.

Resiny pine and caramel malt aromas, pretty solid and standard for an IPA. Taste has more dry resiny hop bitterness, piney with some sweet caramel and bready malt notes in the middle. Finishes dry. Medium bodied with an even level of carbonation. A firm bitterness level, mildly sweet middle, dry finish. Pretty textbook IPA that satisfies the hop craving.

4.24/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I just tried this beer and think it is very tasty with a nice dark amber color. The smell is not as interesting but the beer tastes great and gives a kick. Mouthfeel is good also. Overall- a good beer which grows on you and that is not a bad thing. I will drink again.

3.79/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

No freshness info was apparent. Poured in to snifter.

A - Slightly hazy medium amber with one finger of tan coloured head.

S - Grapefruit, tangerine, peach and some sweet honey.

T - Bitter up front with grapefruit, orange zest, pine and some lighter grassy notes. Some honey sweetness in the background.

M - Medium body. Creamy with some sticky hop oils. Light carbonation.

3.56/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 fluid ounce bottle
Served in my new Kuhnhenn snifter

A - It is tea colored. I must have forgotten how to pour. I ended up with a half a glass of off-white head.

S - There is a light citrus aroma. I also smell some fresh cut grass. Maybe the name is influencing my perception.

T - At first I tasted the citrus. The more I drink. The more the bitterness takes over becoming less pleasant.

M - Moderate

O - It started out good with light citrus notes, but I found the building bitterness overwhelming after a while.

3.85/5  rDev 0%

Very hazy appearance, probably at the bottom of the keg. Couldnt pick up too much aroma either. Taste had grassy and lemony notes to it. Dammit I enjoy these more herbal hops, everyone needs to get off the citrus hop band wagon and open your horizons. This isn't green Bush's best offering but I'm always excited to see what they have in store.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

AAfter studying on Friday night Halloween weekend me and my girlfriend decided to grab a quick beer at Crunchy's in East Lansing. Lo and behold the have GREENBUSH!

notes from cell phone yesterday.

A&S: smell is sweet citrus hops and sweet malts. No head! No head from the very beginning, there is a ring of off white head. Hazy dark orange colored beer, no carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

T&M: very smooth going down, moderately hopped: a mixture of piney and citrus, but the hops are mostly floral. The beer is pretty well rounded with a pleasant malty background. More piney in the burp very. not much bitterness right away, but it becomes steadily more and more bitter as you restrain yourself from drinking it. low carbonation and medium bodied.

O: After being super pumped about this beer it kind of was disappointed compared to the other two beers I’ve tried from them. I NEED to come back to Crunchy’s this week and try some more Greenbush beers.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Dunegras last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I'm working my way through the new Greenbush beer's I picked up and since I'm in the mood for an IPA tonight, I thought I would give their Dunegras a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh since it just showed up. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's pretty well done and the sand dunes and lighthouse give it a nice Michigan lake shore look to it and I like how it makes it clear that this beer isn't brewed with Dune grass. It poured a light muddy brown/ burnt orange color with a brighter orange hue coming through when held to the light. There was a finger and half worth of white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. The appearance is a little above average, the head and lacing weren't too shabby, but the color seemed off for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a candied sugar like aroma and was followed by huge tropical fruit, bubblegum and candy like aromas that smells exactly like juicy fruit gum, it blows my mind how close it smells to the gum, I really enjoy it. After that comes some earthy, citrus, and slightly floral hops followed by some grainy and bready malts that provide a little bit of balance to the aroma. This beer has a very good aroma, it;s hoppy, a little malty, and it has huge juicy fruit gum aromas that make this beer have a unique aroma that I really enjoyed.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but not as intense, it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some earthy, citrus, and slightly floral hops that aren't super intense but they seem to stick out enough for the style. After that comes a good amount of bubblegum flavors that taste like Juicy fruit bubblegum, it's not nearly as intense as it was in the aroma, but it's still very noticeable. On the finish I get some sweet, grainy, and bready malts that provide a little bit of balance to this beer and it's followed by a lighter amount of medium bitterness, with a sweet, bready, and citrus like aftertaste. This was a good and unique tasting IPA, the juicy fruit flavor was nice and it really sets this beer apart from all the other IPA's on the market.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly sticky, a little dry on the finish, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good and unique example of an American IPA, it really sticks out from the pack, but it still retains enough of those classic American IPA aspects that keep it pretty true to style. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, not filling, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these without getting bored of the taste, it keeps me wanting to come back for more and that's a quality that I always look for in an American IPA. What I liked the most about this beer was how great and unique the aroma was, the strong juicy fruit gum aroma mixed with those classic American IPA aromas make for a really good aroma that I really enjoyed. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, the color just seemed a little off for the style and it wasn't what I was expecting. I would buy this beer again, it's for sure worth buying a six pack of and I can see myself drinking this quite often, I'll have to keep some in the fridge for the summer, I think this would be a pretty refreshing and tasty beer to have in the warm weather. I recommend this beer to anybody who is a fan of American IPA's, there's no confusing this with any other IPA. All in all I was fairly impressed with this beer, I thought it was pretty enjoyable, I really liked the juicy fruit gum aspect and I couldn't get enough of the aroma. Good job Greenbush, you guys are really starting to impress me with your unique brews, I can't wait to see what your other beers are like.

4.71/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of the best IPA's I've had.

3.51/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served from bottle into tulip glass.

P: Golden Amber with 1 finger white head.

S: Smells of tropical fruits, slight pine in there too.

T: Similar to smell with the tropical fruits, seems like a good balance between the pine and fruity characteristics.

M: Good mouthfeel, carbonation seems just right.

O: I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I didn't have high expectations going into this one but it was actually pretty good. I didn't blow me out of the water or anything but I could see myself drinking again. Nice solid IPA with the hops in the right places.

3.82/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Cloudy amber color with a huge, fizzy head that gushed out of the bottle before I even poured. This one appears mega carbonated.

S: Yeast. Some funk. Strong citrus. Heavy floral notes. Very nice.

T: As the nose suggests, definite yeast esters upfront. Floral hoppiness follows and finishes with orange and clementine-like sweetness. This one finishes with a nice fruity note that was surprising and unexpected from the nose.

M: High carbonation. Dry. Medium Body. A bit prickly. Refreshing.

O: Not bad at all, following the frightening bottle opening and initial pour. I wasn't sure what to expect from the initial smell, but it ended up being a nice little surprise. Glad I tried.

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

(A)- Pours a golden amber orange color. Produced a giant clump of frothy white foam with one of the best retentions on an IPA I have seen in a long time. Tons of clumpy lacing left behind as it finally dissipated.

(S)- A good combination of pineapple and orange citrus meets a subtle layer of lemongrass and minimal caramel malt sweetness.

(T)- Very similar to the smell, only a much more pronounced bitter pine needle entering the mix with the pineapple and orange citrus. Not so much the lemongrass anymore but the same very minimal caramel malt sweetness at the end.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance to this. Bitter, yes, but a good sweetness and slight acidic twang from the citrus too.

(O)- I am actually kind of impressed by this one. A fairly new brewery, but with some definite solid entries and this one perhaps being one of their better ones with the style in mind. For me, it really takes something well-made and thought out to stand out in the sea that is pale ale / IPA / DIPA in the craft beer world. This one will probably go well under the radar, but its dynamic and well-made enough to get my attention.

3.67/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into an Idle Hands tulip.

A - Pours a hazy, pale amber color with a huge three fingers of dense cream colored foam with excellent staying power. Foamy lacing is left on the glass as the head slowly fades.

S - Citrus and tropical fruit up front - oranges, grapefruit, pineapple, mango. Lightly sugary sweet and finishing a bit spicy. Plenty of great hop character here.

T - Bitter hops up front that tend towards medicinal in character. Less hop flavor than the aroma would indicate with only light hints of citrus and some pine coming thru but really subdued. Mildly sweet malt.

M - Medium body with a prickly medium carbonation. Aspirin-like bitterness that lingers past the swallow tempered by a bit of sweetness mid sip.

O - Great looking and very good smelling hoppy beer that falls short a bit in the flavor category. Not undrinkable by any stretch, but unremarkable and slightly off-putting with its medicinal flavors. This would be a one and done for me - happy to try though.

3.56/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1496th Review on BA
Bottle to Speigleau small tulip
12oz

No bottle date

Thanks to ErikKoppin for this one.

App- When it poured out at 1st it was a bit of a honey orange that was a wee bit hazy and unfiltered. A solid two finger off white, thick head was there that was quite long lasting with some amazing cling.

Smell- Very grassy. Wet and cut but not fresh cut football practice. Hoppy and small citrus. A small amount of malt balances it all out. There is a tinge to it that I can't place but didnt knock my thought of it down.

Tastse- This was a moderately bitter and balanced IPA. It had a nice hop flavor with a small citrus. Bits of wheat and spice come on the finish and a little bit of the grass flavors developed in the middle.

Mouth- A solid medium body on this one with a gentle but medium and semi creamy carbonation. Residual citrus zest and thick malt flavors.

Drink- It's good and solid. A great IPA, not there yet. Only because not in my wheelhouse of flavors that I generally enjoy more than the bill on this one. I'd have again at a party in the midwest, but wouldnt seek it in trade.

3.42/5  rDev -11.2%

On tap at GB, served in a mug.

Pour: Hazy, nearly cloudy orange with a finger plus of off white head. Some lacing.

Smell: Nice citrus and caramel. Some dank pine sneaks in, but only just. Pretty straightforward.

Taste: Follows the nose with nice citrus orange and a sweet caramel backbone. The typical GB cloying sweetness sneaks in and distracts immensely from the enjoyable aspects of this brew.

Mouthfeel: Pretty solidly drinkable, but again, far too sweet for the style.

Overall: A good go to at the brewpub, but GB needs to figure out the situation with how sweet most of their beer is.

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but was released recently. Pours hazy golden orange color with a nice 2 finger dense and fluffy cream colored head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of big tangerine, pineapple, orange zest, grapefruit, lemon zest, floral, pine, caramel, honey, and light bread. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of hop notes with good malt balance. Taste of tangerine, pineapple, orange zest, lemon zest, grapefruit, light pine, floral, caramel, light honey, and light bread. Moderate citrus bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, citrus zest, pineapple, light pine, floral, caramel, light honey, and light bread on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice balance and complexity of hop flavors; with a nice moderate malt balance; and zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with pretty much zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice IPA. Great hop complexity and balance of flavors; and extremely smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

4.29/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz poured into a pint glass.

Chestnut brown, light colored head with good staying power that clings to the glass. Looks as it should and I like that the foam never really goes away and is sticky.

Nice balance of pine and grapefruit with just enough malt in the nose. This is what I want an IPA to smell like.

Nice and malty upfront and it transitions into the hop flavors from the nose nicely. Lingering grapefruit with a nice dry finish that stays with me. The malts are there, but they know their place and add just enough balance to keep things complex without getting too busy. This tastes like a solid American IPA and hits all of the notes I want and need from this style.

The mouth is as full as I want it to be and the carbonation helps the dry finish. Again, what I want from this style.

This is what I think of when someone asks me what I want to taste and feel in an American IPA. It hits all of the notes perfectly and I will be buying this again, and again. This beer stands out in a market that some might (reasonably) argue is a market over saturated by the style. I highly recommend.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 01/15/15 Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

L- Mostly hazy deep amber, one finger off white head.

S- Spicy and floral hops hit you first followed by citrus notes of grapefruit and orange. Sweet malty note.

T- Similar to aroma with spicy notes, more citrus than in aroma, ends with a floral note and malty sweetness and light toasted malts.

F- Lighter side of medium

O- It's okay but not really the hop profile I enjoy and a bit too malty for what I want in an American IPA.

4.21/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a caramel orange color…somewhat dense, I can see a few bubbles in the middle…head is light khaki and maintains a finger width thick…a nice lively looking brew with some great head…(4/5)

Smell: Yum! Fresh and lively aroma…tons of piney, tropical, citrus hops exploding out of the glass…orange, mandarin, pineapple, mango, lemon, grapefruit and a distinct pine bite…very inviting and mouthwatering…malts play a background role here, but there is some pale, caramel and toffee notes…very hops driven, this thing smells fantastic! (4.25/5)

Taste: Yum! Way more caramel malt flavor than the nose would indicate…this brew is wonderfully flavored with zesty piney, citrus and tropical hops varieties that bring orange, pineapple, mango, grapefruit, lemon bitterness and a piney resinous bite to my palate…there is that noticeable sweet caramel malt presence that does just enough to keep the flavor balanced as best as it could be…this is very hoppy, very fresh and very tasty…one sip lasts a few minutes…(4.25/5)

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium to tons of carbonation…this thing fluffs up nicely bringing muted earthy/piney bitterness to the palate…it really hits all parts of my tongue and that noticeable bite really rounds out the overall flavor nicely…lingering piney bitterness in the after taste…(4/5)

Overall: This is a fantastic brew…the flavor is wonderful and there’s a real drinkability here that would put an ordinary sixer in danger, each sip leaves me wanting more…Greenbush is becoming one of my favorite “Chicagoland” (I use that loosely because it’s about 1.5 hours from Chicago) breweries with each outstanding beer I try from them…Dunegras is fantastic ale that is a bit high on the ABV scale for an all day sipper, but if you are looking for a brew to help watch the game or sustain laughs during the neighborhood poker run, than this is the beer for you…easily recommendable, if you see this in your local beer store or are in Western Michigan, pick up a sixer of this and enjoy…(4.25/5)

to view more.