Dunegräs - Greenbush Brewing Company

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: ahq514 on 09-20-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.63/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Greenbush has been on my radar for a while now. While I haven’t made it to the brewery I’m glad to see they’ve started bottling.

This poured a honeyed amber color with great foaming. I found an aroma of tropical fruit and lemon, pineapple and lemon zest, along with some pine. It has a fantastic big, aroma. There’s an intense bitterness on the palate which just dominated the flavor, with a smooth piney and tropical fruit hop profile coming across. Great finish. One of my new finds for the year! (507 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Greenbush brewery is nearby in Sawyer MI and is frequently crowded. I've had Dunegras many times on tap, but this time was poured from a bottle into pint glass. I did not notice much of a difference.

A: Beautiful caramel color. Hint of red. 1/2 finger head, dissipates relatively quickly.

S: Sweet, malty.

T: Balanced bitterness and sweetness. Slight citrus taste comes through.

M: Minimal carbonation. Lingering bitterness, not overwhelming.

Overall: One of my favorite beers from GB. (490 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

(A)- Pours a golden amber orange color. Produced a giant clump of frothy white foam with one of the best retentions on an IPA I have seen in a long time. Tons of clumpy lacing left behind as it finally dissipated.

(S)- A good combination of pineapple and orange citrus meets a subtle layer of lemongrass and minimal caramel malt sweetness.

(T)- Very similar to the smell, only a much more pronounced bitter pine needle entering the mix with the pineapple and orange citrus. Not so much the lemongrass anymore but the same very minimal caramel malt sweetness at the end.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance to this. Bitter, yes, but a good sweetness and slight acidic twang from the citrus too.

(O)- I am actually kind of impressed by this one. A fairly new brewery, but with some definite solid entries and this one perhaps being one of their better ones with the style in mind. For me, it really takes something well-made and thought out to stand out in the sea that is pale ale / IPA / DIPA in the craft beer world. This one will probably go well under the radar, but its dynamic and well-made enough to get my attention. (1,183 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz poured into a pint glass.

Chestnut brown, light colored head with good staying power that clings to the glass. Looks as it should and I like that the foam never really goes away and is sticky.

Nice balance of pine and grapefruit with just enough malt in the nose. This is what I want an IPA to smell like.

Nice and malty upfront and it transitions into the hop flavors from the nose nicely. Lingering grapefruit with a nice dry finish that stays with me. The malts are there, but they know their place and add just enough balance to keep things complex without getting too busy. This tastes like a solid American IPA and hits all of the notes I want and need from this style.

The mouth is as full as I want it to be and the carbonation helps the dry finish. Again, what I want from this style.

This is what I think of when someone asks me what I want to taste and feel in an American IPA. It hits all of the notes perfectly and I will be buying this again, and again. This beer stands out in a market that some might (reasonably) argue is a market over saturated by the style. I highly recommend. (1,106 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I just tried this beer and think it is very tasty with a nice dark amber color. The smell is not as interesting but the beer tastes great and gives a kick. Mouthfeel is good also. Overall- a good beer which grows on you and that is not a bad thing. I will drink again. (268 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a caramel orange color…somewhat dense, I can see a few bubbles in the middle…head is light khaki and maintains a finger width thick…a nice lively looking brew with some great head…(4/5)

Smell: Yum! Fresh and lively aroma…tons of piney, tropical, citrus hops exploding out of the glass…orange, mandarin, pineapple, mango, lemon, grapefruit and a distinct pine bite…very inviting and mouthwatering…malts play a background role here, but there is some pale, caramel and toffee notes…very hops driven, this thing smells fantastic! (4.25/5)

Taste: Yum! Way more caramel malt flavor than the nose would indicate…this brew is wonderfully flavored with zesty piney, citrus and tropical hops varieties that bring orange, pineapple, mango, grapefruit, lemon bitterness and a piney resinous bite to my palate…there is that noticeable sweet caramel malt presence that does just enough to keep the flavor balanced as best as it could be…this is very hoppy, very fresh and very tasty…one sip lasts a few minutes…(4.25/5)

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium to tons of carbonation…this thing fluffs up nicely bringing muted earthy/piney bitterness to the palate…it really hits all parts of my tongue and that noticeable bite really rounds out the overall flavor nicely…lingering piney bitterness in the after taste…(4/5)

Overall: This is a fantastic brew…the flavor is wonderful and there’s a real drinkability here that would put an ordinary sixer in danger, each sip leaves me wanting more…Greenbush is becoming one of my favorite “Chicagoland” (I use that loosely because it’s about 1.5 hours from Chicago) breweries with each outstanding beer I try from them…Dunegras is fantastic ale that is a bit high on the ABV scale for an all day sipper, but if you are looking for a brew to help watch the game or sustain laughs during the neighborhood poker run, than this is the beer for you…easily recommendable, if you see this in your local beer store or are in Western Michigan, pick up a sixer of this and enjoy…(4.25/5) (2,081 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Dunegras last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I'm working my way through the new Greenbush beer's I picked up and since I'm in the mood for an IPA tonight, I thought I would give their Dunegras a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh since it just showed up. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's pretty well done and the sand dunes and lighthouse give it a nice Michigan lake shore look to it and I like how it makes it clear that this beer isn't brewed with Dune grass. It poured a light muddy brown/ burnt orange color with a brighter orange hue coming through when held to the light. There was a finger and half worth of white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. The appearance is a little above average, the head and lacing weren't too shabby, but the color seemed off for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a candied sugar like aroma and was followed by huge tropical fruit, bubblegum and candy like aromas that smells exactly like juicy fruit gum, it blows my mind how close it smells to the gum, I really enjoy it. After that comes some earthy, citrus, and slightly floral hops followed by some grainy and bready malts that provide a little bit of balance to the aroma. This beer has a very good aroma, it;s hoppy, a little malty, and it has huge juicy fruit gum aromas that make this beer have a unique aroma that I really enjoyed.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but not as intense, it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some earthy, citrus, and slightly floral hops that aren't super intense but they seem to stick out enough for the style. After that comes a good amount of bubblegum flavors that taste like Juicy fruit bubblegum, it's not nearly as intense as it was in the aroma, but it's still very noticeable. On the finish I get some sweet, grainy, and bready malts that provide a little bit of balance to this beer and it's followed by a lighter amount of medium bitterness, with a sweet, bready, and citrus like aftertaste. This was a good and unique tasting IPA, the juicy fruit flavor was nice and it really sets this beer apart from all the other IPA's on the market.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly sticky, a little dry on the finish, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good and unique example of an American IPA, it really sticks out from the pack, but it still retains enough of those classic American IPA aspects that keep it pretty true to style. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, not filling, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these without getting bored of the taste, it keeps me wanting to come back for more and that's a quality that I always look for in an American IPA. What I liked the most about this beer was how great and unique the aroma was, the strong juicy fruit gum aroma mixed with those classic American IPA aromas make for a really good aroma that I really enjoyed. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, the color just seemed a little off for the style and it wasn't what I was expecting. I would buy this beer again, it's for sure worth buying a six pack of and I can see myself drinking this quite often, I'll have to keep some in the fridge for the summer, I think this would be a pretty refreshing and tasty beer to have in the warm weather. I recommend this beer to anybody who is a fan of American IPA's, there's no confusing this with any other IPA. All in all I was fairly impressed with this beer, I thought it was pretty enjoyable, I really liked the juicy fruit gum aspect and I couldn't get enough of the aroma. Good job Greenbush, you guys are really starting to impress me with your unique brews, I can't wait to see what your other beers are like. (4,148 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

$2 12oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: A very hazy red color with orange around the edges -- bits can be seen floating around, and there's a little bit of sediment. There's a two finger of off-white, creamy head that lasts awhile before dying down to about half a finger. Lacing is awesome.

Smell: A lot of piney, resinous hops with really no fruit character to speak of. Grassy and earthy. A bit of spiciness comes through as well. Very nice, and smells super fresh.

Taste/feel: Follows the nose for the most part, with a good "malt backbone" as they say. IBUs on this are at 67, which is about what I'd guess. There's a slight bitterness on the finish just to let you know that you're sipping on an IPA. As the beer warms up, it gets a slightly fruity quality to it, and it tastes a little more sweet. The mouthfeel on this beer sets it apart from most IPAs that I have had -- like their Closure Pale Ale, this beer has a very silky, drinkable quality.

I'm really enjoying Greenbush, and I'm glad to get the chance to taste their stuff. Another awesome beer ... I'm surprised the score on this site is "only" 86. (1,144 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from growler into english pint glass.

Pours a nice deep copper golden color. Appears lightly carbonated (I poured vigorously and got little to no head). As stated, almost no head. Light lacing.

Aroma is typical for an american ipa. Some lightly sweet malt in the background. Featured are the various hops. This one is a balance between floral and citrus hops.

Taste matches the aroma very well. Leading taste is the citrus hops which is quickly overpowered by a more floral, bitter, hop bite. Integrated with this is a nice sweet caramel malt flavor that complements very well.

Mouthfeel is pretty nice. Light carbonation which is ok with me. Nice medium body. Sticky hops.

Overall this is a real nice, well balanced ipa. Could see myself drinking this on a regular basis. Nice aroma and taste, just could use some more head I think. (857 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a bottle purchased onsite at the brewery. Deep honey color, slightly cloudy, full bodied mouth feel. Distinctive grassy flavors, pine with a hint of citrus and brown sugar. A nice complexity going on without one note over taking over the other. Well rounded, interesting beer, definitely worth coming back to. (321 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Brewed with Golden Promise, Gambrinus, Munich, Belgian Aromatic, and Crystal 60L. Hopped with Columbus, Amarillo, Cascade, and Spalt. Fermented with House yeast, which I'm guessing is Nottingham because it's highly compact and flocculant and the beer is brilliantly clear.
67 ibu, 6.7% ABV, 12º Lovibond. $1.79 for a 12oz bottle @ Bevco.

Pours out to a brilliantly clear dark copper, forming a tall whipped and creamy light yellow head with superior retention and beautiful lacing, in part due to it's brisk carbonation, ~3.25 carbs or so. The nose is nice...a little cat piss, a little grassy green hops, a touch of pine, a touch of skunkweed, sitting on top of a grainy malt base with some toast and some mango esters. The mouthfeel is a little dry and hop astringent with tannin astringency as well. Medium bodied. The alcohol is a touch harsh and imparts a peppery aftertaste with some moderate fusels. The malts are well balanced despite the pleasantly firm bitterness with lots of toasted bread and some apricot in the middle.

A peculiar beer. A little incohesive but tasty. Worth trying. (1,097 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

12 ounce bottle, date 1.5.15

Bottle pours into snifter with a beautiful deep amber, nearing red color. There is a one finger, white head that slowly dissipates.

Aroma is nicely balanced between sweet, candied caramel malt and floral, orange notes from the hops.

Taste remains balanced but favors the floral (over the orange) hops, which really take the lead and are joined by some perfume and white pepper notes.

Mouthfeel is medium, as is carbonation. Bitterness is damn near perfect, almost completely cleansing the palate after each sip.

Overall, Dunegräs is a very solid IPA. While I'm not a huge fan of the floral, perfume and white pepper hop flavors that this beer provides, I can appreciate the balance that is presented throughout. (748 characters)

This is a nice IPA. Nothing that jumps out and makes it special, but definitly a decent IPA.

The beer pours a dark golden color with off-white head.

Floral and citrus hops dominate the aroma.

Taste is hoppy. Nice american IPA. Bitter and floral. Citrus tones are presant. Caramel malts really balance out the flavor.

Good beer. (333 characters)

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but was released recently. Pours hazy golden orange color with a nice 2 finger dense and fluffy cream colored head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of big tangerine, pineapple, orange zest, grapefruit, lemon zest, floral, pine, caramel, honey, and light bread. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of hop notes with good malt balance. Taste of tangerine, pineapple, orange zest, lemon zest, grapefruit, light pine, floral, caramel, light honey, and light bread. Moderate citrus bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, citrus zest, pineapple, light pine, floral, caramel, light honey, and light bread on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice balance and complexity of hop flavors; with a nice moderate malt balance; and zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with pretty much zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice IPA. Great hop complexity and balance of flavors; and extremely smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering. (1,251 characters)

Single finger head with amazing retention and nice lacing on a murky golden with amber hues body. Aroma of toasted malts, and hop varieties including earthy, mild citrus and floral. Flavors of toasted caramel malts, tart citrus, light pine resin and grassy hops. Medium body and moderate carbonation. A nice IPA. Not memorable or complex but a nice traditional member of the style. (381 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Pours a slightly hazy copper with one finger of head. Nice lacing.

S -- Big citrus aroma, both orange pulp and a bit of grapefruit. Also some caramel malt. Nice.

T -- Similar to smell, nice citrus burst up front. Not overly bitter , but a decent bitterness throughout. Enough caramel malt to balance, but not too malty.

M -- Medium mouthfeel with nice amount of carbonation that gives some creaminess.

O -- Enjoyable IPA. Solid all around, and something I would have again, but not amazing. (497 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

AAfter studying on Friday night Halloween weekend me and my girlfriend decided to grab a quick beer at Crunchy's in East Lansing. Lo and behold the have GREENBUSH!

notes from cell phone yesterday.

A&S: smell is sweet citrus hops and sweet malts. No head! No head from the very beginning, there is a ring of off white head. Hazy dark orange colored beer, no carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

T&M: very smooth going down, moderately hopped: a mixture of piney and citrus, but the hops are mostly floral. The beer is pretty well rounded with a pleasant malty background. More piney in the burp very. not much bitterness right away, but it becomes steadily more and more bitter as you restrain yourself from drinking it. low carbonation and medium bodied.

O: After being super pumped about this beer it kind of was disappointed compared to the other two beers I’ve tried from them. I NEED to come back to Crunchy’s this week and try some more Greenbush beers. (986 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

received both the beer and the glassware from c64person in a BIF. Thanks so much for the great box, bud!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a FFF Teku.

The bottle had a ton of yeast caked to the bottom on the cap and near the top of the bottle. it let me know what i was in for.

Poured an opaque deep caramel, with a minimal amount of floaties. It has highlights of orange and peach. Egg shell head, fairly rocky.

lightly citric hop nose complimented by caramel malt and bready yeast.

Peach, grapefruit and lemon zest backed up by a big malty backbone. Flavorful and balanced.

Big, heavy mouthfeel for the style. has a lot of weight on the palate. low carbonation accentuates this body. long finish, but not overly bitter.

i really enjoyed this beer. i had my reservations with after seeing the bottle and the initial appearance, but this beer does not disappoint. I would recommend it.

Thanks again Justin for letting me try this one. (942 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to Wendall for this one!

A: Pours a dark copper color with some ruby tint to it. Small off-white head with little retention, reducing to a thin cap on top. Thin lacing forms around the entire glass.

S: A little on the weak side with some floral/grassy hops, a little bit of orange, and some caramel.

T: Some citrus fruits up front, mostly orange and a little lemon peal, slightly bitter. The second wave is full of bready and caramel malt.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

O: A middle of the road IPA. Better than average, but probably wouldn't be my go to. (605 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Very hazy appearance, probably at the bottom of the keg. Couldnt pick up too much aroma either. Taste had grassy and lemony notes to it. Dammit I enjoy these more herbal hops, everyone needs to get off the citrus hop band wagon and open your horizons. This isn't green Bush's best offering but I'm always excited to see what they have in store. (344 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle > Tulip Glass

A - Slightly hazy orange with a finger of fizzy off white head, no real lacing as the head dissipates fast.
S - Aroma is rather nice, big pine and grass dankness, fresh lemon zest, pineapple, a little astringency, sweet malt.
T - Load of bitterness come through, the malt while mildy sweet kinda takes a back seat, you get a bread taste more at the end, but this thing is loaded with big spicy piney hope bitterness, you get a little orange juice, and some bitey citrus too.
M - Lingering bitterness, mildly dry, feels kinda bigger than it is, but its fairly balanced in feel.
O - This was an interesting IPA, the downside would be the bitterness is a tad extreme, but its got a really nice aroma for what it is. (737 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Cloudy amber color with a huge, fizzy head that gushed out of the bottle before I even poured. This one appears mega carbonated.

S: Yeast. Some funk. Strong citrus. Heavy floral notes. Very nice.

T: As the nose suggests, definite yeast esters upfront. Floral hoppiness follows and finishes with orange and clementine-like sweetness. This one finishes with a nice fruity note that was surprising and unexpected from the nose.

M: High carbonation. Dry. Medium Body. A bit prickly. Refreshing.

O: Not bad at all, following the frightening bottle opening and initial pour. I wasn't sure what to expect from the initial smell, but it ended up being a nice little surprise. Glad I tried. (688 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed on tap at Greenbush. Served in a shaker pint.

A: Pours an amber and peach color with a fluffy white head forming on the pour. The head has some yellowish tint to it as well. The head recedes slowly leaving behind sticky cascades of lace.

S: Grassy and floral on the nose. Mild citrus notes in the background as well. Sweet malt bill background.

T: The taste follows the nose but is a little more amped up. Very grassy and floral with a nice little citrus bite to it. Mild grapefruit with a residual bitterness and a light sweet cracker malt body.

M: Really drinkable and refreshing. Light bodied with a medium carbonation level. Sweet and floral finish.

O: A very nice and refreshing single IPA. I could definitely drink a few on a hot summer day. Nice balanced as well. (783 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The Dunegras fro the Bush is decent. I would classify it as a Belgian ipa. The beer poured a clear copper with white head that left a nice lace. The scent was definitely Belgian leaning. The taste was nicely balanced with Belgian sugar/malt present.the m outhfeel is medium in body with good carbonation. Overall this beer is sessionable and I would recommend it. (363 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

No freshness info was apparent. Poured in to snifter.

A - Slightly hazy medium amber with one finger of tan coloured head.

S - Grapefruit, tangerine, peach and some sweet honey.

T - Bitter up front with grapefruit, orange zest, pine and some lighter grassy notes. Some honey sweetness in the background.

M - Medium body. Creamy with some sticky hop oils. Light carbonation. (377 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast