Dunegräs - Greenbush Brewing Company

DunegräsDunegräs

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: ahq514 on 09-20-2011)

4.8/5  rDev +24.7%

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

4.61/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Greenbush has been on my radar for a while now. While I haven’t made it to the brewery I’m glad to see they’ve started bottling.

This poured a honeyed amber color with great foaming. I found an aroma of tropical fruit and lemon, pineapple and lemon zest, along with some pine. It has a fantastic big, aroma. There’s an intense bitterness on the palate which just dominated the flavor, with a smooth piney and tropical fruit hop profile coming across. Great finish. One of my new finds for the year!

4.49/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Greenbush brewery is nearby in Sawyer MI and is frequently crowded. I've had Dunegras many times on tap, but this time was poured from a bottle into pint glass. I did not notice much of a difference.

A: Beautiful caramel color. Hint of red. 1/2 finger head, dissipates relatively quickly.

S: Sweet, malty.

T: Balanced bitterness and sweetness. Slight citrus taste comes through.

M: Minimal carbonation. Lingering bitterness, not overwhelming.

Overall: One of my favorite beers from GB.

4.31/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

(A)- Pours a golden amber orange color. Produced a giant clump of frothy white foam with one of the best retentions on an IPA I have seen in a long time. Tons of clumpy lacing left behind as it finally dissipated.

(S)- A good combination of pineapple and orange citrus meets a subtle layer of lemongrass and minimal caramel malt sweetness.

(T)- Very similar to the smell, only a much more pronounced bitter pine needle entering the mix with the pineapple and orange citrus. Not so much the lemongrass anymore but the same very minimal caramel malt sweetness at the end.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance to this. Bitter, yes, but a good sweetness and slight acidic twang from the citrus too.

(O)- I am actually kind of impressed by this one. A fairly new brewery, but with some definite solid entries and this one perhaps being one of their better ones with the style in mind. For me, it really takes something well-made and thought out to stand out in the sea that is pale ale / IPA / DIPA in the craft beer world. This one will probably go well under the radar, but its dynamic and well-made enough to get my attention.

4.29/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz poured into a pint glass.

Chestnut brown, light colored head with good staying power that clings to the glass. Looks as it should and I like that the foam never really goes away and is sticky.

Nice balance of pine and grapefruit with just enough malt in the nose. This is what I want an IPA to smell like.

Nice and malty upfront and it transitions into the hop flavors from the nose nicely. Lingering grapefruit with a nice dry finish that stays with me. The malts are there, but they know their place and add just enough balance to keep things complex without getting too busy. This tastes like a solid American IPA and hits all of the notes I want and need from this style.

The mouth is as full as I want it to be and the carbonation helps the dry finish. Again, what I want from this style.

This is what I think of when someone asks me what I want to taste and feel in an American IPA. It hits all of the notes perfectly and I will be buying this again, and again. This beer stands out in a market that some might (reasonably) argue is a market over saturated by the style. I highly recommend.

Dunegräs from Greenbush Brewing Company