Dunegräs - Greenbush Brewing Company

DunegräsDunegräs

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: ahq514 on 09-20-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

03-17-2013 00:48:16 | More by MichPaul
jeff96gt

03-15-2013 23:36:59 | More by jeff96gt
superspak

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but was released recently. Pours hazy golden orange color with a nice 2 finger dense and fluffy cream colored head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of big tangerine, pineapple, orange zest, grapefruit, lemon zest, floral, pine, caramel, honey, and light bread. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of hop notes with good malt balance. Taste of tangerine, pineapple, orange zest, lemon zest, grapefruit, light pine, floral, caramel, light honey, and light bread. Moderate citrus bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, citrus zest, pineapple, light pine, floral, caramel, light honey, and light bread on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice balance and complexity of hop flavors; with a nice moderate malt balance; and zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with pretty much zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice IPA. Great hop complexity and balance of flavors; and extremely smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

03-14-2013 04:18:04 | More by superspak
StoutHunter

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Dunegras last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I'm working my way through the new Greenbush beer's I picked up and since I'm in the mood for an IPA tonight, I thought I would give their Dunegras a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh since it just showed up. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's pretty well done and the sand dunes and lighthouse give it a nice Michigan lake shore look to it and I like how it makes it clear that this beer isn't brewed with Dune grass. It poured a light muddy brown/ burnt orange color with a brighter orange hue coming through when held to the light. There was a finger and half worth of white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. The appearance is a little above average, the head and lacing weren't too shabby, but the color seemed off for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a candied sugar like aroma and was followed by huge tropical fruit, bubblegum and candy like aromas that smells exactly like juicy fruit gum, it blows my mind how close it smells to the gum, I really enjoy it. After that comes some earthy, citrus, and slightly floral hops followed by some grainy and bready malts that provide a little bit of balance to the aroma. This beer has a very good aroma, it;s hoppy, a little malty, and it has huge juicy fruit gum aromas that make this beer have a unique aroma that I really enjoyed.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but not as intense, it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some earthy, citrus, and slightly floral hops that aren't super intense but they seem to stick out enough for the style. After that comes a good amount of bubblegum flavors that taste like Juicy fruit bubblegum, it's not nearly as intense as it was in the aroma, but it's still very noticeable. On the finish I get some sweet, grainy, and bready malts that provide a little bit of balance to this beer and it's followed by a lighter amount of medium bitterness, with a sweet, bready, and citrus like aftertaste. This was a good and unique tasting IPA, the juicy fruit flavor was nice and it really sets this beer apart from all the other IPA's on the market.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly sticky, a little dry on the finish, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good and unique example of an American IPA, it really sticks out from the pack, but it still retains enough of those classic American IPA aspects that keep it pretty true to style. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, not filling, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these without getting bored of the taste, it keeps me wanting to come back for more and that's a quality that I always look for in an American IPA. What I liked the most about this beer was how great and unique the aroma was, the strong juicy fruit gum aroma mixed with those classic American IPA aromas make for a really good aroma that I really enjoyed. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, the color just seemed a little off for the style and it wasn't what I was expecting. I would buy this beer again, it's for sure worth buying a six pack of and I can see myself drinking this quite often, I'll have to keep some in the fridge for the summer, I think this would be a pretty refreshing and tasty beer to have in the warm weather. I recommend this beer to anybody who is a fan of American IPA's, there's no confusing this with any other IPA. All in all I was fairly impressed with this beer, I thought it was pretty enjoyable, I really liked the juicy fruit gum aspect and I couldn't get enough of the aroma. Good job Greenbush, you guys are really starting to impress me with your unique brews, I can't wait to see what your other beers are like.

03-12-2013 03:55:53 | More by StoutHunter
Tek9ne

03-11-2013 19:24:22 | More by Tek9ne
david131

03-08-2013 04:25:21 | More by david131
tectactoe

3.41/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to Mike for handing this one over to me. Pours a swampy and murky orange and burnt sienna color - the initial pour reveals some huge stringy looking sediment before it gets lost in the intense haze of the beer. The slightly off-white head settles quickly into a thin cover atop the unfiltered brew.

The aroma is pretty light overall; mild citrus fruit and skins. Light juicy characteristics, almost a little like taking a whiff of actually fruit-juice, if it wasn't for the underlying hop notes. Slight white pepper and tiny herbal notes make up a majority of the green notes. When all is said and done, it doesn't smell bad at all, but it's quite underwhelming. A bit mild and one-dimensional. I know it sounds funny to call an "IPA" one dimensional, because they're all just about the hops, right? Eh, not quite. This one just doesn't really stand out in any kind of way and the nose is slightly under-powered.

Dunegras is a bit watery on the mouth - very wet and leaving a bit to be desired. It starts off with a combo of citrus and mild peppery spice. As the nose indicated, the hop flavors remain mostly ashy and herbal. As the beers warms up, I pick up some lightly floral and very little pine notes, too, but still with heavy herbal overtones. The malt is pretty heavy and noticeable - breadiness and very light caramel sweetness back the hops up. Near the end, some more distinct fruits come out - light apricot and grapefruit. Aftertaste is mildly leafy and fruity, not too bitter, but not that sweet, either. The body is pretty thin and it leaves a sticky coating all around my mouth. Medium carbonation.

Definitely not a bad beer, just fairly unimpressive in basically all facets of the game. I enjoyed the gift from Mike, but this is something I would probably not purchase if I saw it in a store now. There's just too many other options and this is giving me no reason to every pick it over the rest.

03-07-2013 14:30:04 | More by tectactoe

SaisonRichBiere

03-03-2013 16:09:11 | More by SaisonRichBiere
andrewjraab

3.64/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Purchased the first 5 brews released from GB at Copper Vine in Grandville. I'm excited to see what all the talk is about.

A - Caramel brown with an oily slick white head. Looks nice.

S - Hop Resin, malt forward, bread, and some citrus.

T - Very crisp and clean hop profile up front followed by some malt which turns sweet. Finishes dry and bitter.

O - I'm Looking for more of a hop forward brew and I'm not sure the balance is there with the different hops. It drinks a little bit yeasty and wheaty for me, but overall very solid. I'd get it again.

03-01-2013 03:30:59 | More by andrewjraab
MrBIP

02-27-2013 02:20:17 | More by MrBIP
Giggy

02-24-2013 22:38:10 | More by Giggy
robhbest

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served from bottle into tulip glass.

P: Golden Amber with 1 finger white head.

S: Smells of tropical fruits, slight pine in there too.

T: Similar to smell with the tropical fruits, seems like a good balance between the pine and fruity characteristics.

M: Good mouthfeel, carbonation seems just right.

O: I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I didn't have high expectations going into this one but it was actually pretty good. I didn't blow me out of the water or anything but I could see myself drinking again. Nice solid IPA with the hops in the right places.

02-24-2013 21:20:42 | More by robhbest

CanisMajor

01-29-2013 17:46:42 | More by CanisMajor
Malty_Matty

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Very hazy appearance, probably at the bottom of the keg. Couldnt pick up too much aroma either. Taste had grassy and lemony notes to it. Dammit I enjoy these more herbal hops, everyone needs to get off the citrus hop band wagon and open your horizons. This isn't green Bush's best offering but I'm always excited to see what they have in store.

01-22-2013 23:39:51 | More by Malty_Matty
ssimpson89

12-29-2012 04:07:22 | More by ssimpson89
Stoutlad

12-22-2012 04:22:51 | More by Stoutlad
Fanhitter

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

12.13.12 served on tap at Ashley's Westland.

In the pint, this looks like a textbook pub pour with a firm half inch of bubbly white head. It dissipates and goes the top of the glass a rather cratered appearance. The color is one of a rich tobacco hue, calling to mind a nice dark aled identity.

The smell is malt-dominant, nothing offensive. A very light hop sting comes across, but nothing overbearing as far as IPAs go.

Tastes malty as well, with a nice creamy hop finish. Has a tartness to it in the back of my mouth, weirdly reminiscent of guarana soda. There are some sweet pine notes and a faint sweet grapefruit essence; nothing leaps in front of the others as far as flavors go. Leaves an airy rose flavor lingering in my throat. This is very enjoyable for a mild IPA.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, and makes a pint go down like I was in my 20s again. I could easily get down on this beer anytime, with a meal, etc. it's very easy-drinking.

Overall, I like this beer for reasons I don't like other IPAs, and would recommend it to anyone who says IPAs are too hoppy. In all honesty, it wasn't what I was expecting after trying Brother Benjamin from the same brewery, but I do enjoy it. Would definitely order it again.

12-14-2012 01:46:52 | More by Fanhitter
kylehay2004

Single finger head with amazing retention and nice lacing on a murky golden with amber hues body. Aroma of toasted malts, and hop varieties including earthy, mild citrus and floral. Flavors of toasted caramel malts, tart citrus, light pine resin and grassy hops. Medium body and moderate carbonation. A nice IPA. Not memorable or complex but a nice traditional member of the style.

11-24-2012 20:00:49 | More by kylehay2004