Dunegräs - Greenbush Brewing Company

DunegräsDunegräs

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: ahq514 on 09-20-2011)
4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Dunegras last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I'm working my way through the new Greenbush beer's I picked up and since I'm in the mood for an IPA tonight, I thought I would give their Dunegras a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh since it just showed up. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's pretty well done and the sand dunes and lighthouse give it a nice Michigan lake shore look to it and I like how it makes it clear that this beer isn't brewed with Dune grass. It poured a light muddy brown/ burnt orange color with a brighter orange hue coming through when held to the light. There was a finger and half worth of white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. The appearance is a little above average, the head and lacing weren't too shabby, but the color seemed off for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a candied sugar like aroma and was followed by huge tropical fruit, bubblegum and candy like aromas that smells exactly like juicy fruit gum, it blows my mind how close it smells to the gum, I really enjoy it. After that comes some earthy, citrus, and slightly floral hops followed by some grainy and bready malts that provide a little bit of balance to the aroma. This beer has a very good aroma, it;s hoppy, a little malty, and it has huge juicy fruit gum aromas that make this beer have a unique aroma that I really enjoyed.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but not as intense, it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some earthy, citrus, and slightly floral hops that aren't super intense but they seem to stick out enough for the style. After that comes a good amount of bubblegum flavors that taste like Juicy fruit bubblegum, it's not nearly as intense as it was in the aroma, but it's still very noticeable. On the finish I get some sweet, grainy, and bready malts that provide a little bit of balance to this beer and it's followed by a lighter amount of medium bitterness, with a sweet, bready, and citrus like aftertaste. This was a good and unique tasting IPA, the juicy fruit flavor was nice and it really sets this beer apart from all the other IPA's on the market.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly sticky, a little dry on the finish, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good and unique example of an American IPA, it really sticks out from the pack, but it still retains enough of those classic American IPA aspects that keep it pretty true to style. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, not filling, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these without getting bored of the taste, it keeps me wanting to come back for more and that's a quality that I always look for in an American IPA. What I liked the most about this beer was how great and unique the aroma was, the strong juicy fruit gum aroma mixed with those classic American IPA aromas make for a really good aroma that I really enjoyed. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, the color just seemed a little off for the style and it wasn't what I was expecting. I would buy this beer again, it's for sure worth buying a six pack of and I can see myself drinking this quite often, I'll have to keep some in the fridge for the summer, I think this would be a pretty refreshing and tasty beer to have in the warm weather. I recommend this beer to anybody who is a fan of American IPA's, there's no confusing this with any other IPA. All in all I was fairly impressed with this beer, I thought it was pretty enjoyable, I really liked the juicy fruit gum aspect and I couldn't get enough of the aroma. Good job Greenbush, you guys are really starting to impress me with your unique brews, I can't wait to see what your other beers are like.

StoutHunter, Mar 12, 2013

Tek9ne, Mar 11, 2013

david131, Mar 08, 2013
3.41/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks to Mike for handing this one over to me. Pours a swampy and murky orange and burnt sienna color - the initial pour reveals some huge stringy looking sediment before it gets lost in the intense haze of the beer. The slightly off-white head settles quickly into a thin cover atop the unfiltered brew.

The aroma is pretty light overall; mild citrus fruit and skins. Light juicy characteristics, almost a little like taking a whiff of actually fruit-juice, if it wasn't for the underlying hop notes. Slight white pepper and tiny herbal notes make up a majority of the green notes. When all is said and done, it doesn't smell bad at all, but it's quite underwhelming. A bit mild and one-dimensional. I know it sounds funny to call an "IPA" one dimensional, because they're all just about the hops, right? Eh, not quite. This one just doesn't really stand out in any kind of way and the nose is slightly under-powered.

Dunegras is a bit watery on the mouth - very wet and leaving a bit to be desired. It starts off with a combo of citrus and mild peppery spice. As the nose indicated, the hop flavors remain mostly ashy and herbal. As the beers warms up, I pick up some lightly floral and very little pine notes, too, but still with heavy herbal overtones. The malt is pretty heavy and noticeable - breadiness and very light caramel sweetness back the hops up. Near the end, some more distinct fruits come out - light apricot and grapefruit. Aftertaste is mildly leafy and fruity, not too bitter, but not that sweet, either. The body is pretty thin and it leaves a sticky coating all around my mouth. Medium carbonation.

Definitely not a bad beer, just fairly unimpressive in basically all facets of the game. I enjoyed the gift from Mike, but this is something I would probably not purchase if I saw it in a store now. There's just too many other options and this is giving me no reason to every pick it over the rest.

tectactoe, Mar 07, 2013

shamrock071521, Mar 07, 2013

Gtg642, Mar 06, 2013

SaisonRichBiere, Mar 03, 2013
3.64/5  rDev -5.2%

Purchased the first 5 brews released from GB at Copper Vine in Grandville. I'm excited to see what all the talk is about.

A - Caramel brown with an oily slick white head. Looks nice.

S - Hop Resin, malt forward, bread, and some citrus.

T - Very crisp and clean hop profile up front followed by some malt which turns sweet. Finishes dry and bitter.

O - I'm Looking for more of a hop forward brew and I'm not sure the balance is there with the different hops. It drinks a little bit yeasty and wheaty for me, but overall very solid. I'd get it again.

andrewjraab, Mar 01, 2013

MrBIP, Feb 27, 2013

Giggy, Feb 24, 2013
3.51/5  rDev -8.6%

Served from bottle into tulip glass.

P: Golden Amber with 1 finger white head.

S: Smells of tropical fruits, slight pine in there too.

T: Similar to smell with the tropical fruits, seems like a good balance between the pine and fruity characteristics.

M: Good mouthfeel, carbonation seems just right.

O: I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I didn't have high expectations going into this one but it was actually pretty good. I didn't blow me out of the water or anything but I could see myself drinking again. Nice solid IPA with the hops in the right places.

robhbest, Feb 24, 2013

mrebeka, Feb 24, 2013

alex021224, Feb 23, 2013

TCJosh, Feb 23, 2013

BlissJunkie, Feb 20, 2013

CanisMajor, Jan 29, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +1%

Very hazy appearance, probably at the bottom of the keg. Couldnt pick up too much aroma either. Taste had grassy and lemony notes to it. Dammit I enjoy these more herbal hops, everyone needs to get off the citrus hop band wagon and open your horizons. This isn't green Bush's best offering but I'm always excited to see what they have in store.

Malty_Matty, Jan 22, 2013

ssimpson89, Dec 29, 2012

Stoutlad, Dec 22, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -14.1%

12.13.12 served on tap at Ashley's Westland.

In the pint, this looks like a textbook pub pour with a firm half inch of bubbly white head. It dissipates and goes the top of the glass a rather cratered appearance. The color is one of a rich tobacco hue, calling to mind a nice dark aled identity.

The smell is malt-dominant, nothing offensive. A very light hop sting comes across, but nothing overbearing as far as IPAs go.

Tastes malty as well, with a nice creamy hop finish. Has a tartness to it in the back of my mouth, weirdly reminiscent of guarana soda. There are some sweet pine notes and a faint sweet grapefruit essence; nothing leaps in front of the others as far as flavors go. Leaves an airy rose flavor lingering in my throat. This is very enjoyable for a mild IPA.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, and makes a pint go down like I was in my 20s again. I could easily get down on this beer anytime, with a meal, etc. it's very easy-drinking.

Overall, I like this beer for reasons I don't like other IPAs, and would recommend it to anyone who says IPAs are too hoppy. In all honesty, it wasn't what I was expecting after trying Brother Benjamin from the same brewery, but I do enjoy it. Would definitely order it again.

Fanhitter, Dec 14, 2012

Single finger head with amazing retention and nice lacing on a murky golden with amber hues body. Aroma of toasted malts, and hop varieties including earthy, mild citrus and floral. Flavors of toasted caramel malts, tart citrus, light pine resin and grassy hops. Medium body and moderate carbonation. A nice IPA. Not memorable or complex but a nice traditional member of the style.

kylehay2004, Nov 24, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap at Headquarters, served in a footed tulip glass. Copper orange color, slightly hazy, but bright when held to the light. An initial fingers width of foam, settling down to a broken skim and ring around the edges after a few sips.

Resiny pine and caramel malt aromas, pretty solid and standard for an IPA. Taste has more dry resiny hop bitterness, piney with some sweet caramel and bready malt notes in the middle. Finishes dry. Medium bodied with an even level of carbonation. A firm bitterness level, mildly sweet middle, dry finish. Pretty textbook IPA that satisfies the hop craving.

emerge077, Nov 14, 2012
3.38/5  rDev -12%

On tap at GB, served in a mug.

Pour: Hazy, nearly cloudy orange with a finger plus of off white head. Some lacing.

Smell: Nice citrus and caramel. Some dank pine sneaks in, but only just. Pretty straightforward.

Taste: Follows the nose with nice citrus orange and a sweet caramel backbone. The typical GB cloying sweetness sneaks in and distracts immensely from the enjoyable aspects of this brew.

Mouthfeel: Pretty solidly drinkable, but again, far too sweet for the style.

Overall: A good go to at the brewpub, but GB needs to figure out the situation with how sweet most of their beer is.

cfrances33, Nov 13, 2012