Dunegräs - Greenbush Brewing Company

DunegräsDunegräs

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: ahq514 on 09-20-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but was released recently. Pours hazy golden orange color with a nice 2 finger dense and fluffy cream colored head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of big tangerine, pineapple, orange zest, grapefruit, lemon zest, floral, pine, caramel, honey, and light bread. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of hop notes with good malt balance. Taste of tangerine, pineapple, orange zest, lemon zest, grapefruit, light pine, floral, caramel, light honey, and light bread. Moderate citrus bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, citrus zest, pineapple, light pine, floral, caramel, light honey, and light bread on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice balance and complexity of hop flavors; with a nice moderate malt balance; and zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with pretty much zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice IPA. Great hop complexity and balance of flavors; and extremely smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering. (1,251 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Dunegras last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I'm working my way through the new Greenbush beer's I picked up and since I'm in the mood for an IPA tonight, I thought I would give their Dunegras a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh since it just showed up. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's pretty well done and the sand dunes and lighthouse give it a nice Michigan lake shore look to it and I like how it makes it clear that this beer isn't brewed with Dune grass. It poured a light muddy brown/ burnt orange color with a brighter orange hue coming through when held to the light. There was a finger and half worth of white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. The appearance is a little above average, the head and lacing weren't too shabby, but the color seemed off for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a candied sugar like aroma and was followed by huge tropical fruit, bubblegum and candy like aromas that smells exactly like juicy fruit gum, it blows my mind how close it smells to the gum, I really enjoy it. After that comes some earthy, citrus, and slightly floral hops followed by some grainy and bready malts that provide a little bit of balance to the aroma. This beer has a very good aroma, it;s hoppy, a little malty, and it has huge juicy fruit gum aromas that make this beer have a unique aroma that I really enjoyed.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but not as intense, it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some earthy, citrus, and slightly floral hops that aren't super intense but they seem to stick out enough for the style. After that comes a good amount of bubblegum flavors that taste like Juicy fruit bubblegum, it's not nearly as intense as it was in the aroma, but it's still very noticeable. On the finish I get some sweet, grainy, and bready malts that provide a little bit of balance to this beer and it's followed by a lighter amount of medium bitterness, with a sweet, bready, and citrus like aftertaste. This was a good and unique tasting IPA, the juicy fruit flavor was nice and it really sets this beer apart from all the other IPA's on the market.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly sticky, a little dry on the finish, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good and unique example of an American IPA, it really sticks out from the pack, but it still retains enough of those classic American IPA aspects that keep it pretty true to style. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, not filling, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these without getting bored of the taste, it keeps me wanting to come back for more and that's a quality that I always look for in an American IPA. What I liked the most about this beer was how great and unique the aroma was, the strong juicy fruit gum aroma mixed with those classic American IPA aromas make for a really good aroma that I really enjoyed. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, the color just seemed a little off for the style and it wasn't what I was expecting. I would buy this beer again, it's for sure worth buying a six pack of and I can see myself drinking this quite often, I'll have to keep some in the fridge for the summer, I think this would be a pretty refreshing and tasty beer to have in the warm weather. I recommend this beer to anybody who is a fan of American IPA's, there's no confusing this with any other IPA. All in all I was fairly impressed with this beer, I thought it was pretty enjoyable, I really liked the juicy fruit gum aspect and I couldn't get enough of the aroma. Good job Greenbush, you guys are really starting to impress me with your unique brews, I can't wait to see what your other beers are like. (4,148 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to Mike for handing this one over to me. Pours a swampy and murky orange and burnt sienna color - the initial pour reveals some huge stringy looking sediment before it gets lost in the intense haze of the beer. The slightly off-white head settles quickly into a thin cover atop the unfiltered brew.

The aroma is pretty light overall; mild citrus fruit and skins. Light juicy characteristics, almost a little like taking a whiff of actually fruit-juice, if it wasn't for the underlying hop notes. Slight white pepper and tiny herbal notes make up a majority of the green notes. When all is said and done, it doesn't smell bad at all, but it's quite underwhelming. A bit mild and one-dimensional. I know it sounds funny to call an "IPA" one dimensional, because they're all just about the hops, right? Eh, not quite. This one just doesn't really stand out in any kind of way and the nose is slightly under-powered.

Dunegras is a bit watery on the mouth - very wet and leaving a bit to be desired. It starts off with a combo of citrus and mild peppery spice. As the nose indicated, the hop flavors remain mostly ashy and herbal. As the beers warms up, I pick up some lightly floral and very little pine notes, too, but still with heavy herbal overtones. The malt is pretty heavy and noticeable - breadiness and very light caramel sweetness back the hops up. Near the end, some more distinct fruits come out - light apricot and grapefruit. Aftertaste is mildly leafy and fruity, not too bitter, but not that sweet, either. The body is pretty thin and it leaves a sticky coating all around my mouth. Medium carbonation.

Definitely not a bad beer, just fairly unimpressive in basically all facets of the game. I enjoyed the gift from Mike, but this is something I would probably not purchase if I saw it in a store now. There's just too many other options and this is giving me no reason to every pick it over the rest. (1,923 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Purchased the first 5 brews released from GB at Copper Vine in Grandville. I'm excited to see what all the talk is about.

A - Caramel brown with an oily slick white head. Looks nice.

S - Hop Resin, malt forward, bread, and some citrus.

T - Very crisp and clean hop profile up front followed by some malt which turns sweet. Finishes dry and bitter.

O - I'm Looking for more of a hop forward brew and I'm not sure the balance is there with the different hops. It drinks a little bit yeasty and wheaty for me, but overall very solid. I'd get it again. (554 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served from bottle into tulip glass.

P: Golden Amber with 1 finger white head.

S: Smells of tropical fruits, slight pine in there too.

T: Similar to smell with the tropical fruits, seems like a good balance between the pine and fruity characteristics.

M: Good mouthfeel, carbonation seems just right.

O: I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I didn't have high expectations going into this one but it was actually pretty good. I didn't blow me out of the water or anything but I could see myself drinking again. Nice solid IPA with the hops in the right places. (569 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Very hazy appearance, probably at the bottom of the keg. Couldnt pick up too much aroma either. Taste had grassy and lemony notes to it. Dammit I enjoy these more herbal hops, everyone needs to get off the citrus hop band wagon and open your horizons. This isn't green Bush's best offering but I'm always excited to see what they have in store. (344 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

12.13.12 served on tap at Ashley's Westland.

In the pint, this looks like a textbook pub pour with a firm half inch of bubbly white head. It dissipates and goes the top of the glass a rather cratered appearance. The color is one of a rich tobacco hue, calling to mind a nice dark aled identity.

The smell is malt-dominant, nothing offensive. A very light hop sting comes across, but nothing overbearing as far as IPAs go.

Tastes malty as well, with a nice creamy hop finish. Has a tartness to it in the back of my mouth, weirdly reminiscent of guarana soda. There are some sweet pine notes and a faint sweet grapefruit essence; nothing leaps in front of the others as far as flavors go. Leaves an airy rose flavor lingering in my throat. This is very enjoyable for a mild IPA.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, and makes a pint go down like I was in my 20s again. I could easily get down on this beer anytime, with a meal, etc. it's very easy-drinking.

Overall, I like this beer for reasons I don't like other IPAs, and would recommend it to anyone who says IPAs are too hoppy. In all honesty, it wasn't what I was expecting after trying Brother Benjamin from the same brewery, but I do enjoy it. Would definitely order it again. (1,226 characters)

Single finger head with amazing retention and nice lacing on a murky golden with amber hues body. Aroma of toasted malts, and hop varieties including earthy, mild citrus and floral. Flavors of toasted caramel malts, tart citrus, light pine resin and grassy hops. Medium body and moderate carbonation. A nice IPA. Not memorable or complex but a nice traditional member of the style. (381 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%

On tap at Headquarters, served in a footed tulip glass. Copper orange color, slightly hazy, but bright when held to the light. An initial fingers width of foam, settling down to a broken skim and ring around the edges after a few sips.

Resiny pine and caramel malt aromas, pretty solid and standard for an IPA. Taste has more dry resiny hop bitterness, piney with some sweet caramel and bready malt notes in the middle. Finishes dry. Medium bodied with an even level of carbonation. A firm bitterness level, mildly sweet middle, dry finish. Pretty textbook IPA that satisfies the hop craving. (594 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -10.7%

On tap at GB, served in a mug.

Pour: Hazy, nearly cloudy orange with a finger plus of off white head. Some lacing.

Smell: Nice citrus and caramel. Some dank pine sneaks in, but only just. Pretty straightforward.

Taste: Follows the nose with nice citrus orange and a sweet caramel backbone. The typical GB cloying sweetness sneaks in and distracts immensely from the enjoyable aspects of this brew.

Mouthfeel: Pretty solidly drinkable, but again, far too sweet for the style.

Overall: A good go to at the brewpub, but GB needs to figure out the situation with how sweet most of their beer is. (596 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -27.9%

12oz bottle poured into tulip - thanks to erikkoppin

Pours clouded auburn with a thick layer of white head resting on top. Bubbly and persistent, the head slowly fades into a collar with patchy lacing on the glass.

Relatively mellow citrus hops with bread crust and caramel in the nose. Semi-balanced sweet and bitter character.

Bitter and dry up front with pine and citrus peel. Grain, cereal, and bread in the backbone followed by some predictable caramel sweetness. I was searching for something else in here, but there wasn't much else to be found. Finishes bitter and dry with a residual burnt sugar sweetness.

Medium body, higher carbonation, sticky, dry and biting on the tongue. I love trying new IPAs and I love trying new local breweries - but this one is a miss for me. (787 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1496th Review on BA
Bottle to Speigleau small tulip
12oz

No bottle date

Thanks to ErikKoppin for this one.

App- When it poured out at 1st it was a bit of a honey orange that was a wee bit hazy and unfiltered. A solid two finger off white, thick head was there that was quite long lasting with some amazing cling.

Smell- Very grassy. Wet and cut but not fresh cut football practice. Hoppy and small citrus. A small amount of malt balances it all out. There is a tinge to it that I can't place but didnt knock my thought of it down.

Tastse- This was a moderately bitter and balanced IPA. It had a nice hop flavor with a small citrus. Bits of wheat and spice come on the finish and a little bit of the grass flavors developed in the middle.

Mouth- A solid medium body on this one with a gentle but medium and semi creamy carbonation. Residual citrus zest and thick malt flavors.

Drink- It's good and solid. A great IPA, not there yet. Only because not in my wheelhouse of flavors that I generally enjoy more than the bill on this one. I'd have again at a party in the midwest, but wouldnt seek it in trade. (1,111 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to Wendall for this one!

A: Pours a dark copper color with some ruby tint to it. Small off-white head with little retention, reducing to a thin cap on top. Thin lacing forms around the entire glass.

S: A little on the weak side with some floral/grassy hops, a little bit of orange, and some caramel.

T: Some citrus fruits up front, mostly orange and a little lemon peal, slightly bitter. The second wave is full of bready and caramel malt.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

O: A middle of the road IPA. Better than average, but probably wouldn't be my go to. (605 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

On-tap at Greenbush, although I sampled this at Haymarket a few weeks ago too. Served in a 6oz taster glass.

A - Finger of foam settles to a thin near-complete cap and thick collar, leaving behind a touch of lacing. Hazy bronze body.

S - Malt-foward, with a very icing sugar bent to it. Some grass and herb hop flavors, as well as a light touch of citrus.

T - The combo of icing sugar and orange citrus is evocative of creamsicles. However, this is marred by a mildly astringent herbal finish and mounting bitterness that is surprising and unexpected.

M - Zesty carbonation, dry finish, chewy texture, and plenty of slick tooth-coating hop oils and resins. Medium body that is plenty hefty for the listed ABV.

D - A very East Coast American IPA, with a bit too much bitterness to it. Decent, but not an IPA I'd have regularly. I'm getting the feeling that Greenbush's forté is darker beers. (896 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Greenbush.

A- Came to me a hazed golden copper color. One finger off-white head shows good retention. Lacing is shown off in a couple different sticky layers as I drink this one down.

S- Citrus hops shine right off the get go in the aroma with this beer. Light caramel malts shine between blasts of citrus hops. Underlying greeny bittering hops throughout the entire beer really show up toward the end as a dominating aroma. More toffee/caramel malts in the ending as well.

T- Light citrus hops and heavier handed earthy bittering hops come out the flavor gate first. This is quickly toned down by a caramel bready malt. The hops don't seem to pick back up from this hit but balance out the malt from here to the finish. Light bittering hops in the backend give a little bit more of a push off the malt but not too far.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the beer. Light leafy hops and lots of caramel malts are left on the palate. Aftertaste is light alcohol, caramel malts, and hints of citrus and earthy hops. No off flavors were present while I was drinking this beer. Medium alcohol drying on the palate with each sip.

O- This beer has been a lot better in the past when I have had it. There is something alittle off I thought and will review it when I get another chance. A overall better than average IPA except this past time I had it. (1,370 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Pours a slightly hazy copper with one finger of head. Nice lacing.

S -- Big citrus aroma, both orange pulp and a bit of grapefruit. Also some caramel malt. Nice.

T -- Similar to smell, nice citrus burst up front. Not overly bitter , but a decent bitterness throughout. Enough caramel malt to balance, but not too malty.

M -- Medium mouthfeel with nice amount of carbonation that gives some creaminess.

O -- Enjoyable IPA. Solid all around, and something I would have again, but not amazing. (497 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -4.2%

Served on-tap in a branded Tripel Karmeliet tulip at Randy Melnick’s Corner Tap (Chicago, IL).

A: Amber-lemonade hue with short, 1-finger of quickly fading head with several residual layers of lacing (3.5).

S: A nice combination of lighter toffee sweetness matched with leafy, herbal, resiny, and lemon-orange citrus hops (4)

T: The toffee comes through a bit stronger in the flavor and dampens the hoppiness to some degree. The hops stick pack some power, but it is most in early bitterness of leafy, resiny, citrus flavor that unfortunately doesn’t quite hit that sharp bitterness in the finish. I think more focus on lighter caramel malts might help to allow the hopping more room to blitz the palate. The bitterness is more flat and less crisp than it could be (3.5).

M: Somewhat sticky but not overly heavy, very smooth and drinkable with moderate carbonation (4)

O: A nice brew from the Chicago area that I am glad I got the opportunity to try. Its fresh hops flavor is there but a little less crystal malt sweetness with just the same body would given the hops more space to shine. (3.5) (1,103 characters)

This is a nice IPA. Nothing that jumps out and makes it special, but definitly a decent IPA.

The beer pours a dark golden color with off-white head.

Floral and citrus hops dominate the aroma.

Taste is hoppy. Nice american IPA. Bitter and floral. Citrus tones are presant. Caramel malts really balance out the flavor.

Good beer. (333 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

AAfter studying on Friday night Halloween weekend me and my girlfriend decided to grab a quick beer at Crunchy's in East Lansing. Lo and behold the have GREENBUSH!

notes from cell phone yesterday.

A&S: smell is sweet citrus hops and sweet malts. No head! No head from the very beginning, there is a ring of off white head. Hazy dark orange colored beer, no carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

T&M: very smooth going down, moderately hopped: a mixture of piney and citrus, but the hops are mostly floral. The beer is pretty well rounded with a pleasant malty background. More piney in the burp very. not much bitterness right away, but it becomes steadily more and more bitter as you restrain yourself from drinking it. low carbonation and medium bodied.

O: After being super pumped about this beer it kind of was disappointed compared to the other two beers I’ve tried from them. I NEED to come back to Crunchy’s this week and try some more Greenbush beers. (986 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from growler into english pint glass.

Pours a nice deep copper golden color. Appears lightly carbonated (I poured vigorously and got little to no head). As stated, almost no head. Light lacing.

Aroma is typical for an american ipa. Some lightly sweet malt in the background. Featured are the various hops. This one is a balance between floral and citrus hops.

Taste matches the aroma very well. Leading taste is the citrus hops which is quickly overpowered by a more floral, bitter, hop bite. Integrated with this is a nice sweet caramel malt flavor that complements very well.

Mouthfeel is pretty nice. Light carbonation which is ok with me. Nice medium body. Sticky hops.

Overall this is a real nice, well balanced ipa. Could see myself drinking this on a regular basis. Nice aroma and taste, just could use some more head I think. (857 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last