Closure - Greenbush Brewing Company

good

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 11-09-2011

A different hop variety each and every time we brew a batch.
to view more.
Ratings: 276 | Reviews: 44
Reviews by BellsFan:
3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Transparent, orange-copper color. Finger and half head retains itself forever as a blanket over the brew and coats the glass in beautiful lace patches.

Malty caramel aroma with a hefty dose of fresh flowers.

Dense malt backbone, mostly caramel. Aggressive, floral, pine, grapefruit, detergent hoppy bitterness. Finishes with an odd, out-of-place, bitterness. The malt and hop varieties just do not blend well in this one.

Medium bodied, syrupy mid-drink with a crisp finish.

Overall, pretty average. A little balance goes a long way and this one is lacking in that department.

3.19/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I opened the bottle and it did not gush, but as I softly poured it into a pint glass, it flared up like a bad case of herpes. I was left with an inch of beer and about five inches of foam. Granted, even after settling, the head lasted for the entirety of the beer at an incredibly height and left some of the fattest lacing I've ever seen. The beers is a deep amber-copper color, cloudy, and a bit darker than I'd expect a pale ale to be.

Apparently this batch was done with Apollo hops. That's the thing with this beer - every "batch" uses a different hop profile. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. The aroma carries waves of heavy pine and zesty floral spices with a hint of brash soapiness in the back. Faint, orange-like juiciness sits in the back, but the rustic, spicy, and earthy hop aromas are stealing the show. Slightly aggressive for a pale ale.

The flavor is even a step up in intensity from the aroma; even spicier with heaps of ground white pepper, earthy hops, dirty and herbal to the core. Brash bitterness hits up front, though is brought back to Earth with a heavy injection of malty sweetness. The malts taste somewhere along the lines of toasted bread and toffee... Again, maybe just a bit too "heavy" and dark for a pale ale.

Though the sweetness is certainly high, the abundant bitterness makes a comeback in the finish, scraping the tongue and the palate heartily before the beer transcends into nothing. Unusually thick and creamy body - I'll say it again - a little too "over the top" for simply a pale ale. The mouth is left feeling coated with a slight touch of resin and residual sugary stickiness. Carbonation is tingly and excessive, could be toned down a bit.

I've come to the conclusion that I do not much care for Greenbush pale ales (including IPAs and DIPAs). They tend to be too malt-forward and just overall pretty cumbersome. In this case, the malt was a bit too dark, the bitterness was too brash, and the body was too big. I envision pale ales being beers I could easily crush without thinking about it. Closure was not that way. Hell, I think Permanent Funeral from Three Floyds (a 10% ABV "pale ale") was easier drinking than this. Not bad, but slightly above average at best.

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- The murky brown body glows an orange glow at the base with a sticky light tan cream that sticks to the glass a bit.

S- The clean pale malt note has some cracker malt notes coming through with a green herbal note in the finish.

T- The herbal dark pungency has a light fruity note in the finish. Some pale malt hints underneath have a light toast note that takes on a butter note as it opens. There is a slight pungent hop note that lingers.

M- The medium-full mouthfeel and a creamy fizz in the finish.

O- The well-blended flavor is soft without much hop character other than the pungency.

3.91/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer swirls and billows dramatically on the pour to build up a dense froth of pillowy yellowish head beginning at three fingers and displaying fantastic retention. Webbing leads to sticky, chunky spotting as the completely clear coppery dark orange brew recedes in the glass.
The first sniff gives a nice, big hit of hops, old-school style with floral, grassy and herbal hops notes balanced by dryer malts and a bit of biscuit. A sweetness like confectioner's sugar with a bit of orange peel gives good depth. Eventually the powdered sugar fades away, leaving something a little more raw but with not without the light supporting citric sweetness.
The floral and grassy hops start it off, then it goes in the middle to a flash of something odd, almost light burnt grains. That translates to a heavily pithy bitterness that leads into the finish along with some leaf.
The texture starts off smoother, then goes a little dry as leaf transliterates to the feel. Crispness is firm without being too hard, giving it a nip that stays with it. The medium body gives good support, though it backs down at the very end of the sip. The finish lingers long and pithy.

3.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The Closure Ale is decent and worth a try. The beer pours a slightly hazy copper with white head that is leaving a nice lace. The scent and taste has a spiciness to it that is attractive...while having the presence of bitter fresh hops. The mouthfeel is medium in body with good carbonation. Overall this is a nice beer that could be sessioned during the fall or early spring seasons.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 12 oz bottle into tulip glass.

A: Pours a cloudy golden copper color with gigantic head. I ha to wait almost 5 minutes to get it to fit into the glass. Some decent lacing.

S: Hops mixed with some floral notes. Toasted malts.

T: A bit of bitterness from the hops. Toasted bread, grapefruit rind. Some slight sweetness from the malts.

M: Fairly light body and way too much carbonation.

O: An average APA. I think this one is best enjoyed with a nice spicy meal.

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

Two pints on draft at Hopleaf, review from written notes.

Pint arrives with a finger of white foam on top, a lightly hazed saturated orange color that glows a bit in the light. Some sparse trails of rising carbonation visible. Retention is good, the satiny skim eventually breaks but there is some spotty lacing around the edges.

Smells a touch sweet and fruity, lightly resiny and green hop notes also. Flavors of fruity apricot, green hops lend some light bitterness, while underneath it all there's a clean armature of pale malt adding a touch of graininess. Light bodied and drinkable. Thought it was nice enough to have another, so I did.

3.67/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap @ Hop Cat.

A - Straw yellow with a small layer of white head.

S - Grapefruit, pine and a fairly prominent overall bitterness.

T - Fresh grapefruit, pine, some peach and mango. A decent bitterness for an APA. Some sweet bready malts in background but definitely hop-forward.

M - Light body. Moderate carboantion.

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 fluid ounce bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It is copper colored with amber highlights. It is topped with two inches of tan head.

S - I smell some caramel malt and floral hops.

T - It starts out with some caramel. Then it is just bitter and not a good bitter. There is a metallic taste, too.

M - Medium, chalky

O - It is an overtly bitter beer. I do not find it enjoyable to drink.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. The local beer store just started carrying Greenbush products a week or so ago, so I'm confident it's as fresh as can be. My bottle states a 5.90% abv. Brewed with a different variety of hops in every batch, so I'm assuming this is a fairly inconsistent beer, with varying results for everyone. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but whatever.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Gentle pour yields one finger of soft fluffy off-white head with excellent retention. Body color is a dark coppery looking blood orange, with some ruby hues when held under the light. As others have said, fairly dark appearance for a pale ale. Some bubbles lazily floating to the top. Some of the biggest walls of lacing I've ever seen. Very intense.

S - Smell is of juicy earthy hops, of an unknown variety obviously. Sweet malt presence, with tons of floral action reminiscent of lilacs, lavender, & spring daisies. At times, I feel like I'm sniffing the flower on the bottle. Smells good, but it falls short.

T - Taste is of lightly bitter hops, earthiness, lemongrass, & tons of floral notes approaching lavender and lilacs. Tastes like I'm drinking the flower on the bottle, also. Bit of a peppery type finish on this one.

M - Feel is creamy & smooth, with hop bitterness coating the palate & some floral notes leftover. Medium-full bodied.

Overall, it is a nice beer, but it seems to hang somewhere just slightly above average. High drinkability, nice flavors, decent abv, but it seems to be missing something. I would be interested to try a bottle from a different batch to see how it varies from this one. An interesting beer that I would drink again.

Greenbush Closure ---3.5/5

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Really excited to be getting more of this stuff at work, today we just got this and Brother Benjamin both I singled and bought. This one went for around 2 a single. On the bottle it says 5.9% probably just changes to the individual batch. I noticed they still have some sort of hand bottling system because their fill levels are inconsistent.

I'm not sure if I like or hate the fact that they change the hops up each batch. I could see this both being fun and frustrating depending on how this beer tastes. No freshness date so I dont have a clue. I do know what the label on this bottle is very awesome.

A&S: Translucent lively looking copper colored beer. Gray-yellow foamy head the pours about a finger and has excellent. Great lacing making this an overall very impressive looking beer. Lots of floral and grassy hops. Along with a bready undertones and hints of citrus and sugary sweetness.

T&M: Much more bready then I was expecting. Still has it decent floral & citrus hoppyness to it. Very crisp and clean feeling. Higher bitterness levels then I expected considering the bottle says only 40 IBUs. Fairly dry finish. High levels of carbonation, medium body. Not especially drinkable.

Overall: Was expecting greatness, got an above average pale. Not my favorite style and plus after experiencing Zombie Dust I have "high expectations" but, never the less I enjoyed this beer especially for the price. I really love the brewing company and will continue to buy the stuff they bottle (hopefully their hefe soon) and let customers know about them. Best of luck Greenbush.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle (no date) poured into a Shaker Pint glass. Sediment from the beer remained behind.

Appearance: Hazy medium amber with a nice orange glow to it when held up to the light. 1/8" off white head upon pouring died back to a thin skin across the top, but good delicate lacing noted with every sip. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Orange citrus, some floral and bready notes on the swirl.

Taste: Bitter leafy start, some cracker like malt in the middle, lingering citrus (grapefruit) and pine finish. A solidly bitter ale.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, nice thickness, definitely some hop oils sticking to my teeth with this one.

Overall / Drinkability: I normally like hoppy beers to have more malt backbone to counter the hop bitterness, but this one works rather nicely. Snappy bitterness would be a good way to describe it. I find I rather like it and probably could have another one if it was available. I do want some peanuts with this in a bad way though - it's good by itself, but I think it would be better with snack food.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Closure last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. Greenbush just started distributing their beer so I decided to get one of each and try them out, I have had a couple beers from them before on draft, but I haven't tried any of the beers they bottled so I'm interested to see what this brewery can do, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I really like the label on this beer, I don't exactly know why, but I think the flower on the label is drawn very well and it has a nice darker look it to it, it's pretty much the opposite of Bell's Smitten Rye label. It poured a nice slightly golden orange color that took on some darker orange hues when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that had a nice honey aroma to it and is followed by bready and grainy malts that imparted a slight caramel like aroma. Up next comes the hops which are nice blend of earthy and citrus hops with the citrus seeming to stick out the most imparting a juicy fruit like aroma that I liked and found to be a little unique. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it was balanced nicely for the style and the juicy fruit like aroma intrigued me.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that had a nice and slight honey flavor to it followed by a good amount of malts that imparted some grainy and bread flavors with some bread crust flavors really sticking out with some lightly toasted flavors. Up next comes the hops which show up a little lighter than I would like and impart a light floral, citrus and earthy hop flavor with no one aspect sticking out more than the other and it imparted a nice amount of medium bitterness. This was a nice tasting American Pale Ale that was very balanced, but I wish the hops flavors stuck out just a little more than they did.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, clean, medium bodied, with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and pretty true to style, no problems here.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a fairly good example of the style, it may be a little more balanced than some American Pales Ales, but most of the other aspects seem to be dead on for the style. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these, especially in the summertime. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty good and fairly unique, the appearance was also pretty good. What I liked the least about this beer was that the hops didn't impart a little more flavors than they did, if there was a little more hoppy citrus flavors than I think this would be up there with some of the better American Pale Ales. I would buy this beer again, but I can't see myself buying it that often especially when they start bottling Oddsides Citra Pale Ale, but it would be a nice to have a couple in the summer and I recommend this to fans of American Pale Ales. All in all I thought this was a solid American Pale Ale, it wasn't the best I have had, but it was still fairly enjoyable and I wouldn't turn this beer down if I was offered one. Green Bush seems to be making a good impression on me, the first beer I tried from them was a little rough, but everyone since then has been solid at the least. I'm looking forwards to trying the rest of their bottled lineup. I don't want to say this too early, but this might be a brewery that any Michigan craft beer lover should have on their radar, nice work guys.

3.47/5  rDev -4.1%

Mug poured at Dusty's Tap Room. How cool, never even heard of these guys!

The pour is your standard pale ale golden, with a 1+ finger head, slightly shimmery.

Smell provides a lot of yeast and lemon, thrown in with some hop. Nicely fresh smelling, almost a saison with a split personality.

Taste provides muted hoppiness, some malt, plenty of citrusy lemon flavor, but ultimately it lacks panache and is a little bit tame.

Very nice for sipping at 5.8% ABV. Goes down good.

Sort of a boring beer, but still tastes pretty good. Worth a go.

2.84/5  rDev -21.5%

Bottle from the brewery, 12oz into a tulip. Listed at 5.9% ABV.

Looks quite different from what others have described here, mine poured a deep amber-brown, with an ultra-persistent offwhite head. Super creamy and sheets of lacing. Nose has some hop character, and a weird mineral/yeast thing going on. Some bread underneath. Not at all inviting for a pale. Taste has some grassy/green hop notes, and again a weird bready/yeasty and mineral quality to it that I can't get past. Drying and moderately bitter finish. Medium full feel, medium carbonation. Not at all a fan - not sure if something went wrong with the bottling or the brew here.

3.04/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I poured a finger and 1/2 of off-white head over a beer with a nice complex looking body. Held up to the light, the coloration on this beer is interesting, a variety of yellow-orange to burnt orange colors come through. Lacing tries to cling to the glass.

I smell caramelized malt and weak, generic hops.

The front end is a light malt sweetness. The hops come in rather quickly, and it's a generic pine flavor. A little earthy tone also noted.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Carbonation a little on the weak side, but not quite flat. It has a dry, bitter finish.

This beer is interesting in that it looks much better than it is.

4.04/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: a golden yellow. not quite clear but almost. a thin off white head that leaves a lacing

Smell: kind of subdued hops. some citrusy and floral. a sweet grainy background

Taste: floral hops, citrus and tropical fruity flavors. honey mixed in with a graininess. very complex and hard to decide on the actual flavors

Mouthfeel: not overly bitter at all. smoothish and fairly refreshing

Overall: this was an enjoyable and complex beer. clearly well done. I'd like to try a whole six pack rather than just one bottle to see how i really feel about it

3.59/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving is from a bottle. Poured a nice deep amber color with about a finger of head. Aroma is not overpowered with hoppiness. Mouthfeel is good, maybe a little bit creamier than other pale ales. Not bad at all. Taste is smooth and a little malty at first and with a bit of spiciness on the back end to give it a kick. Leaves a good amount of lace in the glass. Overall a solid offering and session beer, particularly with a summer BBQ.

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tumbler at The Tribes.

The Accidental Highway to Hell Tour continues! A new brewery in town, eh? Always fun. This batch was hopped with Fuggle and Columbus hops. It pours a lightly hazy straw-amber topped by a finger of off-white micro-foam. The nose comprises sweetgrass, sweet flowers, dark greens, toffee, and powdered sugar. The taste brings in more of the same, though the sweetness of the toffee and powdered sugar are amped up a bit. The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a smooth feel, and an almost dry finish. Overall, a solid APA, one that drinks pretty easily, but nothing truly outstanding.

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A light rusty copper color to this brew. Murky body clearness. Slightly above average carbonation. Creamy head to about a finger on the pour and provided heavy lacing on the glass while drinking.

Smell: Bring caramel, more sweetness then thick body. Smooth malt with some syrupy hop presence. Spices, cinnamon, and maple syrup add some nice complexity.

Taste: Follows the aroma pretty closely but seems to lack some overall depth. Sweet clean front. Caramel and sugar. The strongest player is probably the strong malt in the body. There is some spicy hops on the back end. Malts linger on the palette during the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: A little thin but overall solid. Hits the palette with a medium body and lingers for a while.

Overall: Pretty solid APA overall. I tend to prefer hoppier APAs but this one had some nice malt accents. Could have used some more balance but I wouldn't mind having this brew again.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass; no bottle dating, but a recent release. Pours hazy orange amber color with a small dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of peach, pear, orange peel, apple, floral, honey, caramel, bread, herbal, and floral earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of hop and malt notes. Taste of peach, pear, orange, apple, honey, toast, bread, floral, caramel, herbal, light pine, and floral earthiness. Slight floral bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of light fruit, orange, toast, bread, floral, herbal, honey, caramel, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice balance and good complexity of hop and malt flavors; with a pretty big malt backbone for a pale ale; and no cloying sweetness present after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied; with a creamy and smooth mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a good pale ale. Good balance and complexity of flavors; and very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This one was a gusher. After rushing the bottle to the sink and pouring and letting this one settle, it appears murky brown with only a layer of head retaining. The nose is floral with fragrant hops that also carry a hint of apple and cracker. The taste is malty up front with toasted bread followed by flowers, pines, and grapefruit rind. Finish is moderately bitter with a bit of sweetness as well. Mouthfeel is prickly from this bottle being over carbonated. Overall, this was a pretty forgettable brew.

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This comes off as advertised as an APA. It has a beautiful orange color and a nice mouth feel. I didn't fully enjoy until I had it with food and it was fantastic. I took a growler home and drank it over dinner all week. I found myself taking smaller and smaller sips just make it last. This a very refined APA.

4.27/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a spring orange with brown hues on top fading all the way to a golden color on the bottom…fairly transparent once it settles, there’s tons of bubble action in the middle….a thin, tight bubbled head formed and remains throughout…looks like a good brew…(4.5/5)

Smell: Dank and woodsy hops up front…I’m also getting some tropical/floral hops, mango in particular…it’s very sweet, almost syrupy…malts are full of sweet toffee and caramel…nicely balanced, with an overall strong aroma…a touch of melon maybe in there too…(4.25/5)

Taste: Yum! Tons of flavor, this thing really takes me on a ride…follows the nose with dank and woodsy hops up front…mildly robust, they are lightened with a touch of lemon peel citrus in the background…malts are sweet (almost candy sweet), toffee and caramel heavy…there’s a nice creaminess…hops are the dominant flavor overall, but there is little bitterness…very full flavored with a noticeable freshness…the more I drink and as it warms, the floral aspects of the hops become more apparent…Yum! (4.25/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body…medium carbonation fluffs up to bring tons of dank/woodsy hops flavor to the palate…bitterness is well overshadowed by straight flavor, leaving a nice layer of sweet dankness on my tongue…very sweet, somewhat creamy, mildy robust…finishes clean, but each drink’s flavor last for minutes…after taste is full of dank hops essence…(4.25/5)

Overall: This is a fantastic brew…the flavor is strong, unique and well balanced…with it’s light body and lower ABV, I could drink several of these and still be able to keep logical thought happening…the more Greenbush beer I drink, the more I love what they are doing over there…another success from their labs, Closure is definitely worth seeking out by making a trip to Sawyer, MI…they sell this on tap, by the bottle ($2) and six pack ($10)…hope to see ya out there! (4.25/5)

Brewreport.blogspot.com

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Closure has a sophistication that matches that of its bottle art. A handsome burnished brandy colour, its complexion is like that of frosted glass: clean but merely translucent. Its foam fails to cover the entire surface but puts forth a good effort that partially coats the glass too.

This recipe uses a different hop variety each time it's brewed. I have no way of knowing for sure which one's in this batch but it's got no shortage of aromatic properties; at first leafy and resinous, the nose opens up to showcase candied mango and pineapple flavours. It has the high-octane citrus of a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc...

Provided you can stay focused on it. The malt and yeast are no lightweights either; there's no shortage of esters working to push those tropical fruits out of the picture. The malts especially are a distraction, their honey-on-toast flavour is perfectly suited to the marmalade-like notes.

Pale Ales are typically distinctly either malty or hoppy. This one can go either way. Though it has a generous amount of candied citrus zest and a not-so-shabby 40 IBUs, its malt bill is nearly dark enough to question use of the term "pale" and dense enough to be described as muscular.

Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez wrote that “wisdom comes to us when it can no longer do any good”. So allow me to share some wisdom with you before it's too late: don't walk out of the store without at least one bottle of Closure in hand. Greenbush is a good brewery and not picking up their offerings will lead to regret. Trust me on that - next time I'm buying more.

to view more.