Closure - Greenbush Brewing Company

ClosureClosure

good

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

A different hop variety each and every time we brew a batch.

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 11-09-2011)

BrewtalHonesty, Oct 23, 2013

KC9LDB, May 11, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +24%

kristenrae8, Jun 25, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +24%

kwittlieff, Sep 21, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I’m starting to learn that with anything from Greenbush I should approach it with an open mind and it most likely won’t fit any preconceived stylistic expectations—but it will be excellent. This was no exception.

This poured a caramel-amber color with nice, thick foaming.

There’s a matly backing to this sweetish aroma of candied orange, orange preserves and the faintest whisper of … papaya?

The beer is bold and upfront, with a body and finish of a DIPA despite having the strength of a sessionable IPA. There’s that malty backing to a piney, orangey hop profile, with a hint of the tropical. Found this beer to be more than I expected and I liked it all the more for that.

elNopalero, Feb 06, 2014
4.3/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

$1.79 for a 12oz bottle @ Bevco. Brewed with 2 Row, Munich, Crystal 60L, Gambrinus Honey Malt and White Wheat Malt. Hopped with Apollo. Fermented with a British Style ale yeast.
40 IBU's, 6% ABV, 24.5L

Pours out to a slightly cloudy light amber, forming a tall whipped creamy light yellow head with excellent retention and beautiful lacing. Carbonation is moderate, ~2.5 carbs. The aroma immediately recalls Manitou Amber ale, which was a local brew brewed with proprietary yeast on their Peter Austin brewing system. It has that British yeast nose, which is fruity, not tart, sitting on top of grainy/bready grains, vanilla, and light hop nose. The mouthfeel is creamy and medium bodied with a finishing astringency. The taste is great...nice balance of the Munich and crystal malts with the 2-row with a firm bitterness that settles in half way through. The hops are somewhat grassy and piney. No perceptible off flavors or aromas. The finish is dry owing in part to the hop astringency.

Well, this is the first beer I've had from Greenbush and I'm totally digging it. Looking forward to trying their other two I have in the fridge. Recommended.

Mitchster, Mar 12, 2013
4.26/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a spring orange with brown hues on top fading all the way to a golden color on the bottom…fairly transparent once it settles, there’s tons of bubble action in the middle….a thin, tight bubbled head formed and remains throughout…looks like a good brew…(4.5/5)

Smell: Dank and woodsy hops up front…I’m also getting some tropical/floral hops, mango in particular…it’s very sweet, almost syrupy…malts are full of sweet toffee and caramel…nicely balanced, with an overall strong aroma…a touch of melon maybe in there too…(4.25/5)

Taste: Yum! Tons of flavor, this thing really takes me on a ride…follows the nose with dank and woodsy hops up front…mildly robust, they are lightened with a touch of lemon peel citrus in the background…malts are sweet (almost candy sweet), toffee and caramel heavy…there’s a nice creaminess…hops are the dominant flavor overall, but there is little bitterness…very full flavored with a noticeable freshness…the more I drink and as it warms, the floral aspects of the hops become more apparent…Yum! (4.25/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body…medium carbonation fluffs up to bring tons of dank/woodsy hops flavor to the palate…bitterness is well overshadowed by straight flavor, leaving a nice layer of sweet dankness on my tongue…very sweet, somewhat creamy, mildy robust…finishes clean, but each drink’s flavor last for minutes…after taste is full of dank hops essence…(4.25/5)

Overall: This is a fantastic brew…the flavor is strong, unique and well balanced…with it’s light body and lower ABV, I could drink several of these and still be able to keep logical thought happening…the more Greenbush beer I drink, the more I love what they are doing over there…another success from their labs, Closure is definitely worth seeking out by making a trip to Sawyer, MI…they sell this on tap, by the bottle ($2) and six pack ($10)…hope to see ya out there! (4.25/5)

Brewreport.blogspot.com

Gatch, Apr 27, 2013

amishbooze, Aug 21, 2012

ethanmc12, Jan 10, 2014
4.18/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Very good looking. A hazy orange color with no visible particles. About a finger or two of creamy head put this beer in my pint glass perfectly. Lacing's quite good.

Smell: Man, I just... can't really describe this one. Definitely a lot of sweetness. Fruity characteristics that I just can't pinpoint. The smell is very solid and inviting though.

Taste/feel: It drinks like most pale ales ... super easy drinking, nothing inoffensive... not super flavorful, but this one is more interesting than a lot of other pale ales I've had. Really nothing but a bunch of creaminess on the front of each sip without much flavor, but spicy floral notes come in the aftertaste with a bit of caramel malt. There's a tinge of bitterness, but it's mild (only 40 IBUs on this beer). The mouthfeel on this is quite pleasant, but it's almost too thick for a pale ale. Extremely smooth, but almost too much so. Carbonation is good here, though.

Maybe it's just my batch, but this is a damn good pale ale. I don't normally complain about having a beer having a silky mouthfeel, but it's a bit too much on this one. This is a sexy looking pale ale that's above average for its style in taste and aroma. Since they use different variety hops in every batch, it's doubtful you'll taste the same beer I just did. I expect Closure to be rather inconsistent with its scoring due to this fact. Based on whatever hop variety was in this beer, Closure gets a + rating from me. I just wish I knew what hop was in this particular batch, as it's one that I don't think I've had much of, but would like to.

Alextricity, May 01, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Greenbush pint glass. I was super stoked to pick up some Greenbush in bottles when I went there earlier this week. Can't wait to see bottle distribution in Illinois for their stuff.

Pours very little head with a bright golden color. A little bit more hazy than other pale ales I've had. Appears to have light carbonation. Light lacing.

Not as hop forward as I remember when having it on draft, but I know they use different hops in each batch they do. Actually smells a lot like the pale ale I homebrewed, which I used mostly Cascade for, so I assume its that. A little citrusy, a little floral, but fairly subdued. The caramel malt comes through nicely.

Much more delicious than I expected from the appearance and the aroma. Perfect balance of malt and hops. Some sweet caramel malt leads with the citrus and floral hops sweeping in. There is just enough bitterness on the end to give it a bite.

This is so drinkable. I could drink these all night. Light carbonation and light-medium body.

Another impressive beer from a new brewery. Can't wait to see what they do in the future. The only things I would change about Closure is if the aroma was more hop forward and the beer had better head retention.

ahq514, Dec 29, 2011
4.06/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: a golden yellow. not quite clear but almost. a thin off white head that leaves a lacing

Smell: kind of subdued hops. some citrusy and floral. a sweet grainy background

Taste: floral hops, citrus and tropical fruity flavors. honey mixed in with a graininess. very complex and hard to decide on the actual flavors

Mouthfeel: not overly bitter at all. smoothish and fairly refreshing

Overall: this was an enjoyable and complex beer. clearly well done. I'd like to try a whole six pack rather than just one bottle to see how i really feel about it

SportsandJorts, Apr 20, 2013