Closure - Greenbush Brewing Company

good

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 11-09-2011

A different hop variety each and every time we brew a batch.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 279 | Reviews: 45
4.48/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I’m starting to learn that with anything from Greenbush I should approach it with an open mind and it most likely won’t fit any preconceived stylistic expectations—but it will be excellent. This was no exception.

This poured a caramel-amber color with nice, thick foaming.

There’s a matly backing to this sweetish aroma of candied orange, orange preserves and the faintest whisper of … papaya?

The beer is bold and upfront, with a body and finish of a DIPA despite having the strength of a sessionable IPA. There’s that malty backing to a piney, orangey hop profile, with a hint of the tropical. Found this beer to be more than I expected and I liked it all the more for that.

4.39/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On draft at the brewpub. Nice, easy drinking pale ale.

4.31/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

$1.79 for a 12oz bottle @ Bevco. Brewed with 2 Row, Munich, Crystal 60L, Gambrinus Honey Malt and White Wheat Malt. Hopped with Apollo. Fermented with a British Style ale yeast.
40 IBU's, 6% ABV, 24.5L

Pours out to a slightly cloudy light amber, forming a tall whipped creamy light yellow head with excellent retention and beautiful lacing. Carbonation is moderate, ~2.5 carbs. The aroma immediately recalls Manitou Amber ale, which was a local brew brewed with proprietary yeast on their Peter Austin brewing system. It has that British yeast nose, which is fruity, not tart, sitting on top of grainy/bready grains, vanilla, and light hop nose. The mouthfeel is creamy and medium bodied with a finishing astringency. The taste is great...nice balance of the Munich and crystal malts with the 2-row with a firm bitterness that settles in half way through. The hops are somewhat grassy and piney. No perceptible off flavors or aromas. The finish is dry owing in part to the hop astringency.

Well, this is the first beer I've had from Greenbush and I'm totally digging it. Looking forward to trying their other two I have in the fridge. Recommended.

4.27/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a spring orange with brown hues on top fading all the way to a golden color on the bottom…fairly transparent once it settles, there’s tons of bubble action in the middle….a thin, tight bubbled head formed and remains throughout…looks like a good brew…(4.5/5)

Smell: Dank and woodsy hops up front…I’m also getting some tropical/floral hops, mango in particular…it’s very sweet, almost syrupy…malts are full of sweet toffee and caramel…nicely balanced, with an overall strong aroma…a touch of melon maybe in there too…(4.25/5)

Taste: Yum! Tons of flavor, this thing really takes me on a ride…follows the nose with dank and woodsy hops up front…mildly robust, they are lightened with a touch of lemon peel citrus in the background…malts are sweet (almost candy sweet), toffee and caramel heavy…there’s a nice creaminess…hops are the dominant flavor overall, but there is little bitterness…very full flavored with a noticeable freshness…the more I drink and as it warms, the floral aspects of the hops become more apparent…Yum! (4.25/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body…medium carbonation fluffs up to bring tons of dank/woodsy hops flavor to the palate…bitterness is well overshadowed by straight flavor, leaving a nice layer of sweet dankness on my tongue…very sweet, somewhat creamy, mildy robust…finishes clean, but each drink’s flavor last for minutes…after taste is full of dank hops essence…(4.25/5)

Overall: This is a fantastic brew…the flavor is strong, unique and well balanced…with it’s light body and lower ABV, I could drink several of these and still be able to keep logical thought happening…the more Greenbush beer I drink, the more I love what they are doing over there…another success from their labs, Closure is definitely worth seeking out by making a trip to Sawyer, MI…they sell this on tap, by the bottle ($2) and six pack ($10)…hope to see ya out there! (4.25/5)

Brewreport.blogspot.com

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Very good looking. A hazy orange color with no visible particles. About a finger or two of creamy head put this beer in my pint glass perfectly. Lacing's quite good.

Smell: Man, I just... can't really describe this one. Definitely a lot of sweetness. Fruity characteristics that I just can't pinpoint. The smell is very solid and inviting though.

Taste/feel: It drinks like most pale ales ... super easy drinking, nothing inoffensive... not super flavorful, but this one is more interesting than a lot of other pale ales I've had. Really nothing but a bunch of creaminess on the front of each sip without much flavor, but spicy floral notes come in the aftertaste with a bit of caramel malt. There's a tinge of bitterness, but it's mild (only 40 IBUs on this beer). The mouthfeel on this is quite pleasant, but it's almost too thick for a pale ale. Extremely smooth, but almost too much so. Carbonation is good here, though.

Maybe it's just my batch, but this is a damn good pale ale. I don't normally complain about having a beer having a silky mouthfeel, but it's a bit too much on this one. This is a sexy looking pale ale that's above average for its style in taste and aroma. Since they use different variety hops in every batch, it's doubtful you'll taste the same beer I just did. I expect Closure to be rather inconsistent with its scoring due to this fact. Based on whatever hop variety was in this beer, Closure gets a + rating from me. I just wish I knew what hop was in this particular batch, as it's one that I don't think I've had much of, but would like to.

4.07/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Greenbush pint glass. I was super stoked to pick up some Greenbush in bottles when I went there earlier this week. Can't wait to see bottle distribution in Illinois for their stuff.

Pours very little head with a bright golden color. A little bit more hazy than other pale ales I've had. Appears to have light carbonation. Light lacing.

Not as hop forward as I remember when having it on draft, but I know they use different hops in each batch they do. Actually smells a lot like the pale ale I homebrewed, which I used mostly Cascade for, so I assume its that. A little citrusy, a little floral, but fairly subdued. The caramel malt comes through nicely.

Much more delicious than I expected from the appearance and the aroma. Perfect balance of malt and hops. Some sweet caramel malt leads with the citrus and floral hops sweeping in. There is just enough bitterness on the end to give it a bite.

This is so drinkable. I could drink these all night. Light carbonation and light-medium body.

Another impressive beer from a new brewery. Can't wait to see what they do in the future. The only things I would change about Closure is if the aroma was more hop forward and the beer had better head retention.

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

Two pints on draft at Hopleaf, review from written notes.

Pint arrives with a finger of white foam on top, a lightly hazed saturated orange color that glows a bit in the light. Some sparse trails of rising carbonation visible. Retention is good, the satiny skim eventually breaks but there is some spotty lacing around the edges.

Smells a touch sweet and fruity, lightly resiny and green hop notes also. Flavors of fruity apricot, green hops lend some light bitterness, while underneath it all there's a clean armature of pale malt adding a touch of graininess. Light bodied and drinkable. Thought it was nice enough to have another, so I did.

4.04/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: a golden yellow. not quite clear but almost. a thin off white head that leaves a lacing

Smell: kind of subdued hops. some citrusy and floral. a sweet grainy background

Taste: floral hops, citrus and tropical fruity flavors. honey mixed in with a graininess. very complex and hard to decide on the actual flavors

Mouthfeel: not overly bitter at all. smoothish and fairly refreshing

Overall: this was an enjoyable and complex beer. clearly well done. I'd like to try a whole six pack rather than just one bottle to see how i really feel about it

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Two finger head with excellent lacing on a murky golden amber body. Very nice aroma appropriate in degree for the style with caramel malts, grapefruit citrus and toast. Nicely balanced flavor opening with toasted caramel malts with the hops coming in late with citrus tartness, grass, floral and metallic flavors. Medium body and moderate carbonation. A very nice pale ale. The hop character may make this less drinkable for some but I feel this one is well balanced and memorable for a style which is usually very variable.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Really excited to be getting more of this stuff at work, today we just got this and Brother Benjamin both I singled and bought. This one went for around 2 a single. On the bottle it says 5.9% probably just changes to the individual batch. I noticed they still have some sort of hand bottling system because their fill levels are inconsistent.

I'm not sure if I like or hate the fact that they change the hops up each batch. I could see this both being fun and frustrating depending on how this beer tastes. No freshness date so I dont have a clue. I do know what the label on this bottle is very awesome.

A&S: Translucent lively looking copper colored beer. Gray-yellow foamy head the pours about a finger and has excellent. Great lacing making this an overall very impressive looking beer. Lots of floral and grassy hops. Along with a bready undertones and hints of citrus and sugary sweetness.

T&M: Much more bready then I was expecting. Still has it decent floral & citrus hoppyness to it. Very crisp and clean feeling. Higher bitterness levels then I expected considering the bottle says only 40 IBUs. Fairly dry finish. High levels of carbonation, medium body. Not especially drinkable.

Overall: Was expecting greatness, got an above average pale. Not my favorite style and plus after experiencing Zombie Dust I have "high expectations" but, never the less I enjoyed this beer especially for the price. I really love the brewing company and will continue to buy the stuff they bottle (hopefully their hefe soon) and let customers know about them. Best of luck Greenbush.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle (no date) poured into a Shaker Pint glass. Sediment from the beer remained behind.

Appearance: Hazy medium amber with a nice orange glow to it when held up to the light. 1/8" off white head upon pouring died back to a thin skin across the top, but good delicate lacing noted with every sip. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Orange citrus, some floral and bready notes on the swirl.

Taste: Bitter leafy start, some cracker like malt in the middle, lingering citrus (grapefruit) and pine finish. A solidly bitter ale.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, nice thickness, definitely some hop oils sticking to my teeth with this one.

Overall / Drinkability: I normally like hoppy beers to have more malt backbone to counter the hop bitterness, but this one works rather nicely. Snappy bitterness would be a good way to describe it. I find I rather like it and probably could have another one if it was available. I do want some peanuts with this in a bad way though - it's good by itself, but I think it would be better with snack food.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Closure last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. Greenbush just started distributing their beer so I decided to get one of each and try them out, I have had a couple beers from them before on draft, but I haven't tried any of the beers they bottled so I'm interested to see what this brewery can do, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I really like the label on this beer, I don't exactly know why, but I think the flower on the label is drawn very well and it has a nice darker look it to it, it's pretty much the opposite of Bell's Smitten Rye label. It poured a nice slightly golden orange color that took on some darker orange hues when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that had a nice honey aroma to it and is followed by bready and grainy malts that imparted a slight caramel like aroma. Up next comes the hops which are nice blend of earthy and citrus hops with the citrus seeming to stick out the most imparting a juicy fruit like aroma that I liked and found to be a little unique. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it was balanced nicely for the style and the juicy fruit like aroma intrigued me.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that had a nice and slight honey flavor to it followed by a good amount of malts that imparted some grainy and bread flavors with some bread crust flavors really sticking out with some lightly toasted flavors. Up next comes the hops which show up a little lighter than I would like and impart a light floral, citrus and earthy hop flavor with no one aspect sticking out more than the other and it imparted a nice amount of medium bitterness. This was a nice tasting American Pale Ale that was very balanced, but I wish the hops flavors stuck out just a little more than they did.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, clean, medium bodied, with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and pretty true to style, no problems here.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a fairly good example of the style, it may be a little more balanced than some American Pales Ales, but most of the other aspects seem to be dead on for the style. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these, especially in the summertime. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty good and fairly unique, the appearance was also pretty good. What I liked the least about this beer was that the hops didn't impart a little more flavors than they did, if there was a little more hoppy citrus flavors than I think this would be up there with some of the better American Pale Ales. I would buy this beer again, but I can't see myself buying it that often especially when they start bottling Oddsides Citra Pale Ale, but it would be a nice to have a couple in the summer and I recommend this to fans of American Pale Ales. All in all I thought this was a solid American Pale Ale, it wasn't the best I have had, but it was still fairly enjoyable and I wouldn't turn this beer down if I was offered one. Green Bush seems to be making a good impression on me, the first beer I tried from them was a little rough, but everyone since then has been solid at the least. I'm looking forwards to trying the rest of their bottled lineup. I don't want to say this too early, but this might be a brewery that any Michigan craft beer lover should have on their radar, nice work guys.

3.92/5  rDev +8.3%

On draft in St. Joe MI. Unfiltered, pleasantly hoppy. Very nice.

3.91/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer swirls and billows dramatically on the pour to build up a dense froth of pillowy yellowish head beginning at three fingers and displaying fantastic retention. Webbing leads to sticky, chunky spotting as the completely clear coppery dark orange brew recedes in the glass.
The first sniff gives a nice, big hit of hops, old-school style with floral, grassy and herbal hops notes balanced by dryer malts and a bit of biscuit. A sweetness like confectioner's sugar with a bit of orange peel gives good depth. Eventually the powdered sugar fades away, leaving something a little more raw but with not without the light supporting citric sweetness.
The floral and grassy hops start it off, then it goes in the middle to a flash of something odd, almost light burnt grains. That translates to a heavily pithy bitterness that leads into the finish along with some leaf.
The texture starts off smoother, then goes a little dry as leaf transliterates to the feel. Crispness is firm without being too hard, giving it a nip that stays with it. The medium body gives good support, though it backs down at the very end of the sip. The finish lingers long and pithy.

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- The murky brown body glows an orange glow at the base with a sticky light tan cream that sticks to the glass a bit.

S- The clean pale malt note has some cracker malt notes coming through with a green herbal note in the finish.

T- The herbal dark pungency has a light fruity note in the finish. Some pale malt hints underneath have a light toast note that takes on a butter note as it opens. There is a slight pungent hop note that lingers.

M- The medium-full mouthfeel and a creamy fizz in the finish.

O- The well-blended flavor is soft without much hop character other than the pungency.

3.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The Closure Ale is decent and worth a try. The beer pours a slightly hazy copper with white head that is leaving a nice lace. The scent and taste has a spiciness to it that is attractive...while having the presence of bitter fresh hops. The mouthfeel is medium in body with good carbonation. Overall this is a nice beer that could be sessioned during the fall or early spring seasons.

3.73/5  rDev +3%

Had a pint at The Norse. Nice opaque glowing orange, one finger of head, good lacing. The smell was dominated by the hops, and the taste is a lot of pine, a touch of grain malt, and nice fruit flavors--apricot, pear, lemon. The body is on the light side, very drinkable, but I did find that it had some oddly unresolved sweetness--I would have liked a drier finish. Tasty but nothing particularly memorable.

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Closure has a sophistication that matches that of its bottle art. A handsome burnished brandy colour, its complexion is like that of frosted glass: clean but merely translucent. Its foam fails to cover the entire surface but puts forth a good effort that partially coats the glass too.

This recipe uses a different hop variety each time it's brewed. I have no way of knowing for sure which one's in this batch but it's got no shortage of aromatic properties; at first leafy and resinous, the nose opens up to showcase candied mango and pineapple flavours. It has the high-octane citrus of a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc...

Provided you can stay focused on it. The malt and yeast are no lightweights either; there's no shortage of esters working to push those tropical fruits out of the picture. The malts especially are a distraction, their honey-on-toast flavour is perfectly suited to the marmalade-like notes.

Pale Ales are typically distinctly either malty or hoppy. This one can go either way. Though it has a generous amount of candied citrus zest and a not-so-shabby 40 IBUs, its malt bill is nearly dark enough to question use of the term "pale" and dense enough to be described as muscular.

Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez wrote that “wisdom comes to us when it can no longer do any good”. So allow me to share some wisdom with you before it's too late: don't walk out of the store without at least one bottle of Closure in hand. Greenbush is a good brewery and not picking up their offerings will lead to regret. Trust me on that - next time I'm buying more.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass; no bottle dating, but a recent release. Pours hazy orange amber color with a small dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of peach, pear, orange peel, apple, floral, honey, caramel, bread, herbal, and floral earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of hop and malt notes. Taste of peach, pear, orange, apple, honey, toast, bread, floral, caramel, herbal, light pine, and floral earthiness. Slight floral bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of light fruit, orange, toast, bread, floral, herbal, honey, caramel, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice balance and good complexity of hop and malt flavors; with a pretty big malt backbone for a pale ale; and no cloying sweetness present after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied; with a creamy and smooth mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a good pale ale. Good balance and complexity of flavors; and very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.67/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap @ Hop Cat.

A - Straw yellow with a small layer of white head.

S - Grapefruit, pine and a fairly prominent overall bitterness.

T - Fresh grapefruit, pine, some peach and mango. A decent bitterness for an APA. Some sweet bready malts in background but definitely hop-forward.

M - Light body. Moderate carboantion.

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A light rusty copper color to this brew. Murky body clearness. Slightly above average carbonation. Creamy head to about a finger on the pour and provided heavy lacing on the glass while drinking.

Smell: Bring caramel, more sweetness then thick body. Smooth malt with some syrupy hop presence. Spices, cinnamon, and maple syrup add some nice complexity.

Taste: Follows the aroma pretty closely but seems to lack some overall depth. Sweet clean front. Caramel and sugar. The strongest player is probably the strong malt in the body. There is some spicy hops on the back end. Malts linger on the palette during the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: A little thin but overall solid. Hits the palette with a medium body and lingers for a while.

Overall: Pretty solid APA overall. I tend to prefer hoppier APAs but this one had some nice malt accents. Could have used some more balance but I wouldn't mind having this brew again.

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This comes off as advertised as an APA. It has a beautiful orange color and a nice mouth feel. I didn't fully enjoy until I had it with food and it was fantastic. I took a growler home and drank it over dinner all week. I found myself taking smaller and smaller sips just make it last. This a very refined APA.

3.59/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving is from a bottle. Poured a nice deep amber color with about a finger of head. Aroma is not overpowered with hoppiness. Mouthfeel is good, maybe a little bit creamier than other pale ales. Not bad at all. Taste is smooth and a little malty at first and with a bit of spiciness on the back end to give it a kick. Leaves a good amount of lace in the glass. Overall a solid offering and session beer, particularly with a summer BBQ.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. The local beer store just started carrying Greenbush products a week or so ago, so I'm confident it's as fresh as can be. My bottle states a 5.90% abv. Brewed with a different variety of hops in every batch, so I'm assuming this is a fairly inconsistent beer, with varying results for everyone. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but whatever.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Gentle pour yields one finger of soft fluffy off-white head with excellent retention. Body color is a dark coppery looking blood orange, with some ruby hues when held under the light. As others have said, fairly dark appearance for a pale ale. Some bubbles lazily floating to the top. Some of the biggest walls of lacing I've ever seen. Very intense.

S - Smell is of juicy earthy hops, of an unknown variety obviously. Sweet malt presence, with tons of floral action reminiscent of lilacs, lavender, & spring daisies. At times, I feel like I'm sniffing the flower on the bottle. Smells good, but it falls short.

T - Taste is of lightly bitter hops, earthiness, lemongrass, & tons of floral notes approaching lavender and lilacs. Tastes like I'm drinking the flower on the bottle, also. Bit of a peppery type finish on this one.

M - Feel is creamy & smooth, with hop bitterness coating the palate & some floral notes leftover. Medium-full bodied.

Overall, it is a nice beer, but it seems to hang somewhere just slightly above average. High drinkability, nice flavors, decent abv, but it seems to be missing something. I would be interested to try a bottle from a different batch to see how it varies from this one. An interesting beer that I would drink again.

Greenbush Closure ---3.5/5

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a cloudy rusty copperish color that settles with a thin cap of white head.

S - mild floral notes, some malts come through, honey,

T. Nicely balanced on the front end, honey, Dry and bitter resinous aftertaste.

O. Quite interesting that they will continue to brew this with a different hop variety every time. Would be interesting to review it once a year and see how it changes. Overall, solid ale and I'd try it again for the sheer novelty to "open up something new".

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »