Closure - Greenbush Brewing Company

good

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 11-09-2011

A different hop variety each and every time we brew a batch.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 266 | Reviews: 44

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Very good looking. A hazy orange color with no visible particles. About a finger or two of creamy head put this beer in my pint glass perfectly. Lacing's quite good.

Smell: Man, I just... can't really describe this one. Definitely a lot of sweetness. Fruity characteristics that I just can't pinpoint. The smell is very solid and inviting though.

Taste/feel: It drinks like most pale ales ... super easy drinking, nothing inoffensive... not super flavorful, but this one is more interesting than a lot of other pale ales I've had. Really nothing but a bunch of creaminess on the front of each sip without much flavor, but spicy floral notes come in the aftertaste with a bit of caramel malt. There's a tinge of bitterness, but it's mild (only 40 IBUs on this beer). The mouthfeel on this is quite pleasant, but it's almost too thick for a pale ale. Extremely smooth, but almost too much so. Carbonation is good here, though.

Maybe it's just my batch, but this is a damn good pale ale. I don't normally complain about having a beer having a silky mouthfeel, but it's a bit too much on this one. This is a sexy looking pale ale that's above average for its style in taste and aroma. Since they use different variety hops in every batch, it's doubtful you'll taste the same beer I just did. I expect Closure to be rather inconsistent with its scoring due to this fact. Based on whatever hop variety was in this beer, Closure gets a + rating from me. I just wish I knew what hop was in this particular batch, as it's one that I don't think I've had much of, but would like to.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

3.44/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: a hazy deep amber body with a two finger head that leaves some lacing on the glass.

Aroma: overall, light to me; touch of sweetness yet earthy malts, lightly hoppy – faint floral; as the ale warms a nice tropical note appears

Flavors and Mouthfeel: earthy grains, sweet nondescript malts, grassy feel, light floral on the back, moderate bitterness, acidic, moderate-low fizzy carbonation, sharp sea grass aftertaste or pine needle feel, medium-full bodied Pale Ale,

To the Point: solid earthy profile with a firm bitter style with a hint of sweetness, a nice Pale Ale to try

4.04/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: a golden yellow. not quite clear but almost. a thin off white head that leaves a lacing

Smell: kind of subdued hops. some citrusy and floral. a sweet grainy background

Taste: floral hops, citrus and tropical fruity flavors. honey mixed in with a graininess. very complex and hard to decide on the actual flavors

Mouthfeel: not overly bitter at all. smoothish and fairly refreshing

Overall: this was an enjoyable and complex beer. clearly well done. I'd like to try a whole six pack rather than just one bottle to see how i really feel about it

4.27/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a spring orange with brown hues on top fading all the way to a golden color on the bottom…fairly transparent once it settles, there’s tons of bubble action in the middle….a thin, tight bubbled head formed and remains throughout…looks like a good brew…(4.5/5)

Smell: Dank and woodsy hops up front…I’m also getting some tropical/floral hops, mango in particular…it’s very sweet, almost syrupy…malts are full of sweet toffee and caramel…nicely balanced, with an overall strong aroma…a touch of melon maybe in there too…(4.25/5)

Taste: Yum! Tons of flavor, this thing really takes me on a ride…follows the nose with dank and woodsy hops up front…mildly robust, they are lightened with a touch of lemon peel citrus in the background…malts are sweet (almost candy sweet), toffee and caramel heavy…there’s a nice creaminess…hops are the dominant flavor overall, but there is little bitterness…very full flavored with a noticeable freshness…the more I drink and as it warms, the floral aspects of the hops become more apparent…Yum! (4.25/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body…medium carbonation fluffs up to bring tons of dank/woodsy hops flavor to the palate…bitterness is well overshadowed by straight flavor, leaving a nice layer of sweet dankness on my tongue…very sweet, somewhat creamy, mildy robust…finishes clean, but each drink’s flavor last for minutes…after taste is full of dank hops essence…(4.25/5)

Overall: This is a fantastic brew…the flavor is strong, unique and well balanced…with it’s light body and lower ABV, I could drink several of these and still be able to keep logical thought happening…the more Greenbush beer I drink, the more I love what they are doing over there…another success from their labs, Closure is definitely worth seeking out by making a trip to Sawyer, MI…they sell this on tap, by the bottle ($2) and six pack ($10)…hope to see ya out there! (4.25/5)

Brewreport.blogspot.com

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

2.75/5  rDev -24%

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass; no bottle dating, but a recent release. Pours hazy orange amber color with a small dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of peach, pear, orange peel, apple, floral, honey, caramel, bread, herbal, and floral earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of hop and malt notes. Taste of peach, pear, orange, apple, honey, toast, bread, floral, caramel, herbal, light pine, and floral earthiness. Slight floral bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of light fruit, orange, toast, bread, floral, herbal, honey, caramel, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice balance and good complexity of hop and malt flavors; with a pretty big malt backbone for a pale ale; and no cloying sweetness present after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied; with a creamy and smooth mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a good pale ale. Good balance and complexity of flavors; and very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.57/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a unique brew from Greenbush in that they brew it with different hops each time. I wish I could find some sort of bottle identifier to check up on the hop profile.

Beer pours hazy amber color with a nice eggshell head and good lacing. Beer smells candy sweet, juicy, and floral. I can taste the juicy quality with a floral attack and piney finish. The beer is quite bitter and the finish isn't particularly pleasant. It isn't nearly as sweet as it smells and the grain is overpowered by the hops. Not very well balanced unfortunately. The texture is light to medium and the carbonation is well executed.

Overall, I was disappointed in the balance and light mouthfeel. The juicy quality didn't seem fit with the flavor profile. Nothing particularly special here, but I still dig this awesome brewery!

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

4.31/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

$1.79 for a 12oz bottle @ Bevco. Brewed with 2 Row, Munich, Crystal 60L, Gambrinus Honey Malt and White Wheat Malt. Hopped with Apollo. Fermented with a British Style ale yeast.
40 IBU's, 6% ABV, 24.5L

Pours out to a slightly cloudy light amber, forming a tall whipped creamy light yellow head with excellent retention and beautiful lacing. Carbonation is moderate, ~2.5 carbs. The aroma immediately recalls Manitou Amber ale, which was a local brew brewed with proprietary yeast on their Peter Austin brewing system. It has that British yeast nose, which is fruity, not tart, sitting on top of grainy/bready grains, vanilla, and light hop nose. The mouthfeel is creamy and medium bodied with a finishing astringency. The taste is great...nice balance of the Munich and crystal malts with the 2-row with a firm bitterness that settles in half way through. The hops are somewhat grassy and piney. No perceptible off flavors or aromas. The finish is dry owing in part to the hop astringency.

Well, this is the first beer I've had from Greenbush and I'm totally digging it. Looking forward to trying their other two I have in the fridge. Recommended.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Closure last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. Greenbush just started distributing their beer so I decided to get one of each and try them out, I have had a couple beers from them before on draft, but I haven't tried any of the beers they bottled so I'm interested to see what this brewery can do, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I really like the label on this beer, I don't exactly know why, but I think the flower on the label is drawn very well and it has a nice darker look it to it, it's pretty much the opposite of Bell's Smitten Rye label. It poured a nice slightly golden orange color that took on some darker orange hues when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that had a nice honey aroma to it and is followed by bready and grainy malts that imparted a slight caramel like aroma. Up next comes the hops which are nice blend of earthy and citrus hops with the citrus seeming to stick out the most imparting a juicy fruit like aroma that I liked and found to be a little unique. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it was balanced nicely for the style and the juicy fruit like aroma intrigued me.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that had a nice and slight honey flavor to it followed by a good amount of malts that imparted some grainy and bread flavors with some bread crust flavors really sticking out with some lightly toasted flavors. Up next comes the hops which show up a little lighter than I would like and impart a light floral, citrus and earthy hop flavor with no one aspect sticking out more than the other and it imparted a nice amount of medium bitterness. This was a nice tasting American Pale Ale that was very balanced, but I wish the hops flavors stuck out just a little more than they did.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, clean, medium bodied, with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and pretty true to style, no problems here.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a fairly good example of the style, it may be a little more balanced than some American Pales Ales, but most of the other aspects seem to be dead on for the style. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these, especially in the summertime. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty good and fairly unique, the appearance was also pretty good. What I liked the least about this beer was that the hops didn't impart a little more flavors than they did, if there was a little more hoppy citrus flavors than I think this would be up there with some of the better American Pale Ales. I would buy this beer again, but I can't see myself buying it that often especially when they start bottling Oddsides Citra Pale Ale, but it would be a nice to have a couple in the summer and I recommend this to fans of American Pale Ales. All in all I thought this was a solid American Pale Ale, it wasn't the best I have had, but it was still fairly enjoyable and I wouldn't turn this beer down if I was offered one. Green Bush seems to be making a good impression on me, the first beer I tried from them was a little rough, but everyone since then has been solid at the least. I'm looking forwards to trying the rest of their bottled lineup. I don't want to say this too early, but this might be a brewery that any Michigan craft beer lover should have on their radar, nice work guys.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Closure from Greenbush Brewing Company