Closure - Greenbush Brewing Company

ClosureClosure

good

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

A different hop variety each and every time we brew a batch.

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 11-09-2011)

Tek9ne, Mar 11, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Closure last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. Greenbush just started distributing their beer so I decided to get one of each and try them out, I have had a couple beers from them before on draft, but I haven't tried any of the beers they bottled so I'm interested to see what this brewery can do, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I really like the label on this beer, I don't exactly know why, but I think the flower on the label is drawn very well and it has a nice darker look it to it, it's pretty much the opposite of Bell's Smitten Rye label. It poured a nice slightly golden orange color that took on some darker orange hues when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that had a nice honey aroma to it and is followed by bready and grainy malts that imparted a slight caramel like aroma. Up next comes the hops which are nice blend of earthy and citrus hops with the citrus seeming to stick out the most imparting a juicy fruit like aroma that I liked and found to be a little unique. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it was balanced nicely for the style and the juicy fruit like aroma intrigued me.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that had a nice and slight honey flavor to it followed by a good amount of malts that imparted some grainy and bread flavors with some bread crust flavors really sticking out with some lightly toasted flavors. Up next comes the hops which show up a little lighter than I would like and impart a light floral, citrus and earthy hop flavor with no one aspect sticking out more than the other and it imparted a nice amount of medium bitterness. This was a nice tasting American Pale Ale that was very balanced, but I wish the hops flavors stuck out just a little more than they did.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, clean, medium bodied, with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and pretty true to style, no problems here.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a fairly good example of the style, it may be a little more balanced than some American Pales Ales, but most of the other aspects seem to be dead on for the style. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these, especially in the summertime. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty good and fairly unique, the appearance was also pretty good. What I liked the least about this beer was that the hops didn't impart a little more flavors than they did, if there was a little more hoppy citrus flavors than I think this would be up there with some of the better American Pale Ales. I would buy this beer again, but I can't see myself buying it that often especially when they start bottling Oddsides Citra Pale Ale, but it would be a nice to have a couple in the summer and I recommend this to fans of American Pale Ales. All in all I thought this was a solid American Pale Ale, it wasn't the best I have had, but it was still fairly enjoyable and I wouldn't turn this beer down if I was offered one. Green Bush seems to be making a good impression on me, the first beer I tried from them was a little rough, but everyone since then has been solid at the least. I'm looking forwards to trying the rest of their bottled lineup. I don't want to say this too early, but this might be a brewery that any Michigan craft beer lover should have on their radar, nice work guys.

StoutHunter, Mar 11, 2013
3.56/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a cloudy rusty copperish color that settles with a thin cap of white head.

S - mild floral notes, some malts come through, honey,

T. Nicely balanced on the front end, honey, Dry and bitter resinous aftertaste.

O. Quite interesting that they will continue to brew this with a different hop variety every time. Would be interesting to review it once a year and see how it changes. Overall, solid ale and I'd try it again for the sheer novelty to "open up something new".

andrewjraab, Mar 09, 2013
3.91/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Really excited to be getting more of this stuff at work, today we just got this and Brother Benjamin both I singled and bought. This one went for around 2 a single. On the bottle it says 5.9% probably just changes to the individual batch. I noticed they still have some sort of hand bottling system because their fill levels are inconsistent.

I'm not sure if I like or hate the fact that they change the hops up each batch. I could see this both being fun and frustrating depending on how this beer tastes. No freshness date so I dont have a clue. I do know what the label on this bottle is very awesome.

A&S: Translucent lively looking copper colored beer. Gray-yellow foamy head the pours about a finger and has excellent. Great lacing making this an overall very impressive looking beer. Lots of floral and grassy hops. Along with a bready undertones and hints of citrus and sugary sweetness.

T&M: Much more bready then I was expecting. Still has it decent floral & citrus hoppyness to it. Very crisp and clean feeling. Higher bitterness levels then I expected considering the bottle says only 40 IBUs. Fairly dry finish. High levels of carbonation, medium body. Not especially drinkable.

Overall: Was expecting greatness, got an above average pale. Not my favorite style and plus after experiencing Zombie Dust I have "high expectations" but, never the less I enjoyed this beer especially for the price. I really love the brewing company and will continue to buy the stuff they bottle (hopefully their hefe soon) and let customers know about them. Best of luck Greenbush.

minterro, Mar 06, 2013

TCJosh, Feb 22, 2013

CanisMajor, Jan 29, 2013

Stoutlad, Dec 22, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -23.4%

Bottle from the brewery, 12oz into a tulip. Listed at 5.9% ABV.

Looks quite different from what others have described here, mine poured a deep amber-brown, with an ultra-persistent offwhite head. Super creamy and sheets of lacing. Nose has some hop character, and a weird mineral/yeast thing going on. Some bread underneath. Not at all inviting for a pale. Taste has some grassy/green hop notes, and again a weird bready/yeasty and mineral quality to it that I can't get past. Drying and moderately bitter finish. Medium full feel, medium carbonation. Not at all a fan - not sure if something went wrong with the bottling or the brew here.

liamt07, Dec 17, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +11%

Two finger head with excellent lacing on a murky golden amber body. Very nice aroma appropriate in degree for the style with caramel malts, grapefruit citrus and toast. Nicely balanced flavor opening with toasted caramel malts with the hops coming in late with citrus tartness, grass, floral and metallic flavors. Medium body and moderate carbonation. A very nice pale ale. The hop character may make this less drinkable for some but I feel this one is well balanced and memorable for a style which is usually very variable.

kylehay2004, Nov 24, 2012