Mr. Hyde (SmallBar Collaboration) - Greenbush Brewing Company

Mr. Hyde (SmallBar Collaboration)Mr. Hyde (SmallBar Collaboration)

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

Milk / Sweet Stout |  7.80% ABV

Beer added by: dlello2 on 01-13-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 141 | Reviews: 19
Reviews by liamt07:
3.81/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle from the brewery, 12oz into a tulip. Thanks CWBlues!

Deep brown, almost black with a mocha head. Creamy retention and a sheets of lacing. Nose has a large dose of coffee beans, chocolate tones, subtle green/herbal qualities. A bit creamy, some sweet malt . Taste is almost completely coffee, roasty and bitter finish. Very mild sweetness on the palate, this one finishes dry and the coffee lingers for quite some time. Alcohol is hidden, medium-full body. A good beer, coffee dominates but some complexity otherwise could've added - a bit one-dimensional and I love coffee beers.

3.83/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

MFG: 12.08.14
Brownish black, creamy tan foam on the surface, lasts for a few sips, leaves behind a good amount of lacing. Roasty coffee aroma, sweet cream, the coffee seems slightly old.

Creamy at first, slightly astringent, lots of earthy roast and dark bakers chocolate. Medium bodied, charry roast in the aftertaste. Overall it's pretty good though I'm glad I only got a single. Would try it again fresh on tap sometime.

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%

Big thanks to JasonR1975 for the bottle (as an extra!!).

For a standard, readiy available coffee stout, this was an excelent! Nice big head with great retention and lots of lacing; powerful nose of malt and coffee; and a round, sweet coffee forward taste. Really nice!

2.99/5  rDev -23.5%

This beer has a solid color with an aroma and taste to match is coffee brewing style

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Mr. Hyde last week for $2.09 at The lager Mill. I had this beer last year at a Greenbush tap takeover and I thought it was a decent and I'm interested to see if my opinion has changed, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A= The label looks nice, it seems to go with the name a little and I think it's eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through and it had just about two and half fingers worth of creamy and slightly bubbly brown head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some lots of patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the coffee being the first to show up and it imparts a nice black coffee like aroma with a little bit of chocolate to make for an aroma that's a little mocha like. Up next comes the malt with some dark malts, roasted and sweet malt like aromas coming through. Towards the end comes a little bit of a cream aspect, but it's pretty light. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that's just what I would expect from the style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the roasted malts sticking out the most. Up next comes the coffee which imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma, but this time the chocolate is just a little lighter and it takes on more of black coffee flavor. On the finish there's a slightly lower amount of medium bitterness with a black coffee like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, but the base seemed to be more like a regular stout than a milk stout.

M- Smooth, slightly crisp, a little creamy, slightly sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel that worked well with it, but I wouldn't mind a just a little more carbonation.

Overall i thought this was a pretty nice beer and i thought it was an above average example of the style, it had pretty much all the aspects that I look for in a Coffee Stout and I liked it but, but I wish there was more of a cream aspect to it, it just seemed to be a little one dimensional. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, slightly crisp, a little creamy, slightly sticky, a little filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I think one is the perfect amount for me, anymore than that and it might start to get too filling. What I like the most about this beer wast the appearance, it was a really nice looking beer. What I like the least about this beer was the carbonation, I wish it had just a little more and it felt just a little flat. I would buy this beer again, but it isn't something I'll be stocking up on. I would recommend this to anyone who likes coffee stouts. All in all I liked this beer and I thought it was a good coffee stout, but I wouldn't mind more complexity and i think it was just slightly rough around the edges. It's just a little better than I remember, but it's still not one of the better example of the style. This isn't a favorite Greenbush beer and I still think Short's Cup A Joe is still my favorite of the style. Good job guys, I enjoyed this one, keep up the solid work.

4.21/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from 10.08.14, enjoyed from a snifter.

Mr. Hyde pours entirely black with a head that looks like it's made out of white sand. Nice, pungent aroma of baker's chocolate, roasted - almost smokey - malts, roasted coffee beans, and dark red fruits. Flavors are a tasty blend of rich cocoa and coffee that's creamy but a bit bitter. Pretty sweet on the front end, pretty dry, roasty, and bitter on the back end. You definitely want to let this beer come up close to room temperature. Mouthfeel is creamy, dry, and satisfying.

One of Greenbush's better beers for sure. Not a coffee bomb, and not a chocolate bomb, but a beer that nicely blend both flavors and aromas.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Intense roasted notes and coffee. Creamy body. Not a lot of bells and whistles, just a solid coffee stout.

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

On tap at O'Rourkes in South Bend, IN at the Greenbush tap takeover on 8/15/12. Served in a GB snifter.

Pour: Pitch black with a finger and a half tan head. Leaves a light lacing.

Smell: A light chocolate with an intense coffee aspect. A lot of dark fruit in the back, with some raisons and figs.

Taste: Chewey figs and raisons up front to the max. Some roasted aspects, and a light chocolate as well. Too much dark fruit as it warms. Way more than a sweet stout should typically showcase.

Mouthfeel: A sipper, but creamy and good. Honestly, the taste makes this hard to drink.

Overall: Pretty forgettable in my opinion. Not sure if this was brewed again since the collab, or if this keg has been aging, but either way, I did not enjoy it.

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz. bottle mfg 12.08.14 (birthday gift from my wife) poured into a nonic pint.

A- 1-1/2 finger brown head. Near jet body. Head drops to a thin film and leaves nice rings on the glass.

S- Lots of rich, dark roast coffee. Slightly sweet with just a hint of smoke. Maybe a touch light on the aroma.

T- As aroma suggests. Loads of coffee with a sweetness that balances. Something of a dark roast with a sugar packet. Very subtle hints of chocolate and vanilla. Clean finish.

M- Medium-full body with moderate carbonation that tries to keep up. Nicely dry.

O- A very solid coffee stout. I'd place it near my favorite coffee brews by Bell's, Short's, and Dark Horse (though not quite on par). Higher ABV is subtle, but makes a single serving about right for the session.

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%

12 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 12/1/2014. Pours pitch black color with a 2 finger dense and rocky tan head with incredible retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice dense soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, light smoke/char, light pine, herbal/roasted earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt, coffee, and moderate herbal hop notes; with good strength. Taste of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, light smoke/char, light pine, and herbal/roasted earthiness. Good amount of roast/char and herbal hop bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, light smoke/char, and herbal/roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/roasted malt, coffee, and moderate herbal hop flavors; with a nice roasted bitterness/sweetness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy, and lightly sticky/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent imperial coffee stout. All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/roasted malt, coffee, and moderate earthy hop flavors; and very smooth to drink for the ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

Wasn't going to review this beer, but after reading what others have written, I wanted to speak my piece.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with a wonderfully fluffy mocha colored head that sticks around the edge of the glass wonderfully. The lacing is fantastic.

Smell: Big nose of coffee with some sweet lactose notes. Some real nice roasted notes coming through.

Taste: Has some really nice coffee notes. A bit one dimensional with the coffee and roasted barley notes, bu that's exactly what it is, so I won't knock it.

Mouth: Really nice mouthfeel. I feel like I've drank some really nice coffee. A bit dry, but crisp. Some good creamy texture initially.

Drink and overall: I'm a big fan of this beer, and that is why I had to review it. I think it's a really nice coffee stout, and Greenbush deserves a pat on the back for this guy.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

A: light head; solid lacing; dark brown in color

S: coffee bitter on the nose; slightly caramel too

T: really solid coffee flavor; malty, bitter, all about the dark roast/Sumatran coffee blend flavorwise

M: really smooth overall, balanced and lightly carbonated

Overall: I believe this is GB's answer to the ever-popular Founders Breakfast Stout, if only unintentionally. Quality offering

4.38/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I loved this collaboration. The mouthfeel was thinner than I would have thought, however as it warmed up I was getting more and more presence.

The smell was great. Some coffee and chocolate, a touch of booze, hops.

The taste was wonderful. Definitely got lots of coffee but the coffee worked perfectly in this brew. Sometimes with milk stouts the addition of coffee gives me a sickly sweet latte feel. The balance of this one, however, was really nice and inviting. I would compare this to Big Hugs (Half Acre), but I enjoyed this more.

I was actually given a taste of the bourbon barrel aged version of this and liked the regular more. Good stuff guys.

2.64/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

The most bitter milk stout I've ever had

4.14/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap at Bad Apple. Served in a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark black color with a tan head forming on the pour. It recedes slowly to a thin cap that leaves some sticky lace down the glass.

S: Notes of chocolate and light espresso. The nose is pretty roasty well. Dried cocoa.

T: The taste has an even more roasted malt presence. Dark chocolate with a light milk chocolate. Coffee grounds with some dark fruit notes, anise and light lactose sugar.

M: Medium to heavy bodied, silky and smooth. Medium carbonation level with dry roast finish.

O: Definitely one of the better milk stouts I've ever had. Super roasty and dry with complex flavors. Hopefully I'll come across this again in the near future.

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

This beer poured out as a deep black color with a quick fading brown head on top. The retention was minimal and there wasn't much lacing either. The smell of the beer gives off a nice coffee aroma with a subtle sweetness on the nose as well. The taste is bold upfront with a coffee kick that settles into the milky sweetness of the beer. There is a subtle bitter chocolate flavor in there too. The mouthfeel wasn't heavy at all, it was actually lighter than expected. The carbonation was decent and the beer maintains a good drinkablity. Overall this was a pretty good stout, I would drink this one again.

4.09/5  rDev +4.6%

Had on-tap at BoatWorks in St. Clair Shores, Michigan for $5.25 a pint.

Appearance: One of the most gorgeous looking beers I have ever seen... seriously. Pitch black with two fingers of a tan head that lasts forever. The lacing goes sip-by-sip from the top to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: A little more bitter smelling than I'm accustomed to from a Milk stout. Dark chocolate and coffee are the dominant aromas, for sure. I don't pull much of anything else out. I suppose roasted malts as well, and some slight sweetness, but it doesn't smell like Milk stouts I've had in the past (not at all a bad thing).

Taste/feel: Like the smell, slightly bitter (especially on the front), with a smooth semi-sweetness on the finish. Not what I expected, but still very good. The ABV doesn't come through at all in any way, and this is just a very nice beer by Greenbush... one of their best. While I didn't think it was much of a Milk stout at first, the finish let me know why. Roasty bitterness and a good wallop of chocolate on the start, with a silky, semi-sweet finish. Never too bitter, never cloying, just a very well crafted Milk stout.

3.81/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks, Another6Pack! 12 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is three fingers high and khaki in shade. Even better, it has an attractive density to it (though retention isn't anything great). Lots of lacing sticks to the glass, a solid ring in fact. This one's quite a looker. (4.25)

Smell: Yeah, I get plenty of coffee. The milk stout base that backs it up also works by bringing notes of vanilla cream and chocolate, but it could add some additional roastiness to the coffee. Otherwise, I can't complain about the nose - it hits all the aspects I like in a good coffee beer, and in a milk stout. (3.75)

Taste: Wow, this IS very roasty. Unlike what the nose may have suggested, it has both a coffee AND roasted malt note, with a subtle nutty finish. Before the coffee really hits the palate, there's a nice opening flavor of lactose. Only real problem? While the black coffee flavors are really nice, they become slightly vegetal at times. Still a rock-solid beer. (3.75)

Mouthfeel: The body is quite good - it's as thick-feeling as I expect from a near 8% brew, long finishing, yet it never lingers disgustingly. Carbonation is gentle yet assertive enough to cleanse the palate. (4)

Overall: I like coffee stouts, unless they suck...nope, this doesn't suck one bit. It even seems to bring a bigger black coffee flavor than your average example of the style. I wouldn't mind seeing this on a nearby shelf, that's for sure. (3.75)

3.81/5: What's so monstrous about this beer, again?

4.92/5  rDev +25.8%

Pours like a very dark coffee stout. Damn near opaque, chocolate brown head.

Smells of giant coffee nodes. Like, I'm not talking coffee-like. I mean it smells like you're holding a nice glass of some high-acid coffee right up to your face--there's lots of sweet, bitter, sour, and stingy complexities that I have never before found in a coffee stout, only in an actual glass of actual coffee.

Tastes basically the same, only with more sweet stout nodes coming in. Sweet stout up front moving into excellent and complex coffee, ending on dry hops. Excellent.

This is a goddamn gem. It's Where It's At. That is, this beer is an exclamation that's also the chorus of an unorthodox pop song that's as hummable and familiar as it unique and life-affirming. Find it, buy it, drink it.

to view more.