Mr. Hyde (SmallBar Collaboration) - Greenbush Brewing Company

Mr. Hyde (SmallBar Collaboration)Mr. Hyde (SmallBar Collaboration)

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

Milk / Sweet Stout |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: dlello2 on 01-13-2012)
3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

This beer poured out as a deep black color with a quick fading brown head on top. The retention was minimal and there wasn't much lacing either. The smell of the beer gives off a nice coffee aroma with a subtle sweetness on the nose as well. The taste is bold upfront with a coffee kick that settles into the milky sweetness of the beer. There is a subtle bitter chocolate flavor in there too. The mouthfeel wasn't heavy at all, it was actually lighter than expected. The carbonation was decent and the beer maintains a good drinkablity. Overall this was a pretty good stout, I would drink this one again.

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle from the brewery, 12oz into a tulip. Thanks CWBlues!

Deep brown, almost black with a mocha head. Creamy retention and a sheets of lacing. Nose has a large dose of coffee beans, chocolate tones, subtle green/herbal qualities. A bit creamy, some sweet malt . Taste is almost completely coffee, roasty and bitter finish. Very mild sweetness on the palate, this one finishes dry and the coffee lingers for quite some time. Alcohol is hidden, medium-full body. A good beer, coffee dominates but some complexity otherwise could've added - a bit one-dimensional and I love coffee beers.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.93/5  rDev +25.8%

Pours like a very dark coffee stout. Damn near opaque, chocolate brown head.

Smells of giant coffee nodes. Like, I'm not talking coffee-like. I mean it smells like you're holding a nice glass of some high-acid coffee right up to your face--there's lots of sweet, bitter, sour, and stingy complexities that I have never before found in a coffee stout, only in an actual glass of actual coffee.

Tastes basically the same, only with more sweet stout nodes coming in. Sweet stout up front moving into excellent and complex coffee, ending on dry hops. Excellent.

This is a goddamn gem. It's Where It's At. That is, this beer is an exclamation that's also the chorus of an unorthodox pop song that's as hummable and familiar as it unique and life-affirming. Find it, buy it, drink it.

2.58/5  rDev -34.2%

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Mr. Hyde last week for $2.09 at The lager Mill. I had this beer last year at a Greenbush tap takeover and I thought it was a decent and I'm interested to see if my opinion has changed, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A= The label looks nice, it seems to go with the name a little and I think it's eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through and it had just about two and half fingers worth of creamy and slightly bubbly brown head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some lots of patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the coffee being the first to show up and it imparts a nice black coffee like aroma with a little bit of chocolate to make for an aroma that's a little mocha like. Up next comes the malt with some dark malts, roasted and sweet malt like aromas coming through. Towards the end comes a little bit of a cream aspect, but it's pretty light. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that's just what I would expect from the style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the roasted malts sticking out the most. Up next comes the coffee which imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma, but this time the chocolate is just a little lighter and it takes on more of black coffee flavor. On the finish there's a slightly lower amount of medium bitterness with a black coffee like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, but the base seemed to be more like a regular stout than a milk stout.

M- Smooth, slightly crisp, a little creamy, slightly sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel that worked well with it, but I wouldn't mind a just a little more carbonation.

Overall i thought this was a pretty nice beer and i thought it was an above average example of the style, it had pretty much all the aspects that I look for in a Coffee Stout and I liked it but, but I wish there was more of a cream aspect to it, it just seemed to be a little one dimensional. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, slightly crisp, a little creamy, slightly sticky, a little filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I think one is the perfect amount for me, anymore than that and it might start to get too filling. What I like the most about this beer wast the appearance, it was a really nice looking beer. What I like the least about this beer was the carbonation, I wish it had just a little more and it felt just a little flat. I would buy this beer again, but it isn't something I'll be stocking up on. I would recommend this to anyone who likes coffee stouts. All in all I liked this beer and I thought it was a good coffee stout, but I wouldn't mind more complexity and i think it was just slightly rough around the edges. It's just a little better than I remember, but it's still not one of the better example of the style. This isn't a favorite Greenbush beer and I still think Short's Cup A Joe is still my favorite of the style. Good job guys, I enjoyed this one, keep up the solid work.

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%