Dystopia - Greenbush Brewing Company

Beer added by: gustogasmic on 11-02-2012

Reviews by StoutItOutLoud:
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

On tap at Ashley's in Westland for the Shorts vs Greenbush Throwdown. Dystopia pours a very deep color, but not quite dark enough to be called black - ruby shines through all of the edges. Not much of a head, but the khaki-colored skin and ring sits on top of the beer almost all the way down leaving some generous spots of lacing behind it.

For a Russian Imperial Stout, the aroma is actually quite muted. I know the beer was served a bit too cold, but even after giving it some time to warm up, it's not really bashing my sense of smell like it should be. Some roasted malts, very faint cocoa powder, and maybe even a hint of smokiness. A very light sweetness plays into the tail end, but no real scents can be drawn from it... maybe a touch of molasses or anise, but it's really hard to discern.

Luckily, the taste is much more lively than the aroma with its first swing containing a brazing of deep cocoa nibs, some toasted and roasted malts, and quite a bit of molasses and brown sugar sweetness. Alcohol is warm and tasteful without being overbearing. Some licorice, anise, and a hint of dates rests in the background, along with a fading taste of cocoa powder in the finish. Surprisingly low bitterness and no immediate hop flavors are jumping out at me. Thick bodied relative to beer in general, though it's still not quite as thick as I'd like my RIS's to be. Low-medium carbonation and a soft, smooth mouth feel.

Not a bad choice, although there are many other RIS's I'd reach for before I'd grab this one (shelf RIS's, that is). Unfortunately it was the aroma that kind of let me down. It was so muzzled, especially compared to the flavor. I really don't understand how that's possible, since flavors and aromas are so closely tied together, but I was reaching deep to pull stuff out of the nose.

4.09/5  rDev +1.7%

2.57/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Basic ris decent flavor,smell and mouth feel

3.94/5  rDev -2%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.36/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Excellent chocolate smell... taste very similar to founders Imp Stout, which I like very much... recommend trying.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Dystopia last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I had a small sample of this and I thought it was nice and I thought I would pick up a bottle to review, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice design to it, but I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that didn't let any come through and it had two fingers worth of bubbly and creamy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness that has just a slight molasses like aroma with malts being the first to show up and they impart some nice roasted malt, sweet malt, slightly charred and dark chocolate like aromas. Up next comes a noticeable alcohol aroma that's a little on the lighter side and it's followed by some dark fruit aromas with some plums seeming to stick out the most. This beer has a pretty nice aroma, but I wouldn't mind just a like more roasted and chocolate aromas.

T- The taste seems to pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time there's more of a milk chocolate aspect showing up along with just a slight smokey flavor. Up next comes the alcohol which is still on the light side and it's followed by the dark fruit which show up just like it did in the aroma with the plums still coming through nicely. On the finish there's just a light amount of bitterness with a nice creamy roasted malt aftertaste with just a slight bit of dark fruits coming through. This was a good tasting Imperial Stout, it had some nice complexity to it.

M- Smooth, not too crisp, creamy, velvety, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a higher amount of low carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and I thought it was a good example of the style, it had pretty much everything that I look for in the style, while having a pretty good mouthfeel and still being a little complex for the style. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, not too crisp, creamy, velvety, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think one is the perfect amount, but I wouldn't rule out drinking two. What I like the most about this beer was mouthfeel, it was just what I want in a good Imperial Stout. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, I wish more of those chocolate aspects came through. I would buy this beer again and I'll be interested to see how this one ages for a little while. I would recommend trying this beer, especially if you really like Imperial Stouts. All in all I was happy with this beer, I thought it was a good stout with just enough complexity to make it a little memorable and stick out from the other Imperial Stouts. So far this is one of the better beers I've had from Greenbush and I would say it's above average for the style. Good job guys, this was a tasty Imperial Stout, keep it up.

4.57/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

4.06/5  rDev +1%

3.92/5  rDev -2.5%

Nice coffee toasty malt nose. Strong dark chocolate flavor on this with a dark chocolate bitterness to the finish. Overall a nice beer.

3.7/5  rDev -8%