Brother Benjamin - Greenbush Brewing Company

Ratings: 520 | Reviews: 67
Reviews by Florida9:
3.71/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A double IPA from Michigan brewed with honey. What is Hopslam? Nope.

A: Very dark, slightly pastel brown in color. Forms a modest sized off-white, light tan colored head. Little retention. Some light lacing.

S: Aroma is quite earthy. Very woody, almost plywood-like, but the pine resin notes do help keep this one from smelling like a piece of furniture.

T: Taste is similar, but more expressive. Earthy and woody, with notes of pine and balsa wood. Lots of caramel malt with a mild sweetness.

M: Full bodied with lower carbonation and a very strong bitterness. Dry, bordering on astringent.

O: Well, this is certainly a DIPA. The honey barely shows up anymore than a fleeting bitterness, while the hops are old school earthy and pine. None of that new-fangled juicy Citra or tropical Galaxy shit here. In the end, a pretty good beer. I like the heavier malts with the earthy hops, but, at $15/4-pack, I can't justify the price.

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

It's good to see new breweries springing up and bottling their stuff in my home state. If there's one thing I'll never complain about - it's having too much beer to chose from. Brother Benjamin pours a murky, swamp-brown color, only showing a faint copper essence near the very bottom of the glass. Save for that area, it's completely opaque with lots of little yeast-looking sediment floating about. The foamy, thin-bubbled, khaki head is probably the saving grace of the appearance as it has nice staying power and leaves some traces of lacing behind.

Some sweet grapefruit rinds jump out at my nostrils right away - the sweetness quickly turns into a heavier bitterness that's very pungent to the senses. Some hints of spice and white pepper, giving the hops an herbal and earthy feel. Some light honey sweetness squeezes its way into things, too. I'm picking up a very light tartness that occasionally shows up and occasionally does not. Hard to pinpoint or really put my finger on, but it's definitely something to note. Heavy malt underneath - lots of bread and even a good dose of caramel. Looks like this could be a malt-heavy, East Coast style DIPA.

Well, well, not only is it a malt-heavy DIPA, it's a malt-ONLY DIPA. Just kidding... but, seriously. This malt bill in this bad boy is absolutely huge - so much so that it even overpowers the hop bill just a tad. Huge bread flavors segue into a caramel and toffee backbone that injects some seemingly residual sweetness into the brew. Hops seem secondary, surprisingly enough; herbal, ashy, and loaded with a white pepper flavor. Right away, I notice that the flavor is quite different than the aroma. Not so sure I agree with the disconnect there.

Any detectable fruit in the flavor (which is plenty) is typically of the "bitter" type - meaning lots of pith, peel, and spicy zest flavors rather than the juicy or sweeter type of flavors you'd get from something like Citra hops. I want to say orange zest and grapefruit pith are the most notable fruits in this one. Booze is apparent - not too surprising given the 10+% ABV, although there are plenty of similarly injected beers that hide the alcohol much more elegantly. Aftertaste is reasonably dry and sustainably bitter. Lots of fading caramel notes, bitter fruits, and ashy hops. The body on this is huge - close you eyes and it feels like a stout. Sticky and thick on the palate with medium carbonation.

I don't like this one as much as everyone else, and perhaps it's because I'm not particularly partial to the malt-heavy IPAs. Or at least in this case, I wasn't the biggest fan of the hop bill that was chosen to pair with the heavy malt underbody. I was able to force it down, but it's safe to say that I won't be revisiting this one anytime soon. Or ever. Just too sweet and fat on the palate.

3.67/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, Spartan213!

Distinct copper color with more of a honey and dark orange near the thinner edges. Persistent, creamy, khaki colored head. Leaves irregular, large spots of stick down the glass. Pretty IPA.

Dank citrus (grapefruit) aroma, combined with cookie malt sweetness, definite honey character, and just a bit of alcohol presence.

Moderate to highly bitter, grapefruit zest and flesh, shortbread cookie sweetness, and a bit of booze combine. This is quite drinkable for the known ABV. Unsurprisingly, this reminds me of Hopslam, though perhaps a bit less refined.

Medium to near-full in body for the style, with moderate but creamy carbonation. Very drinkable.

Coming away quite impressed with this one, though I had no idea what to expect.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Appearance is amber-orange, translucent, with a small amount of head. Smells citrusy and piney, malty and sweet, and some alcohol. I little more bitter than I expected upon tasting and it has a malt backbone that supports the heavy-handed hoppiness. Finishes sweet and dry and alcohol is evident. The mouthfeel brings an interesting aspect as its oily and slick. Well-carbonated. This one is a tough one to review because there is really only one other imperial ipa made with honey from Michigan. It's good and I'm glad I tried it, but I would rather have a Hopslam.

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not a huge fan of outrageously hopped IPA's. Had to try this one because of all I had heard. Not as good as Hopslam, like many have tried to say. Still, I understand why the Hop heads like it.

4.87/5  rDev +23.3%

Appearance is a deep amber, copper with minimal head.

Smell. Honey, hops.

Pours nicely in a tulip glass with minimal lacing. Lots of sediment.

Smooth honey taste with hint of banana and very slight spice, hops, then alcohol presence on the back.

Great DIPA, right up there on the favorite list. Hopslam is a second to this for me.

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz. Hazy dark orange pour. A thick fine bubbled white head. Retained very well.

Aroma, Some resiny pine and citrus. Fairly balanced with some malty candied caramel.

Taste, yellow raisin and caramel. Quickly goes into heavy citrus. Grapefruit. A very dry finish, with the bitter lingering nicely.

Probably a little over medium bodied. Creamy and coating, but the dryness keeps it all in check. Alcohol is very well hidden, drinks dangerously easy.

One of the better new DIPAs I've had in a while. Would recommend even if just to try. Thumbs up for this one Greenbush.

4.39/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding beer . Beautiful amber color. Floral and a touch bitter. I found myself wanting another. It packs a punch but not anything irritating. Just really mellow. It almost has a creamy taste and is definitely hop forward. I plan to take this to our home "Up North" so I can sit on the deck and look at the lake and just feel great. Not an everyday six pack beer but who drinks those anyway??

3.89/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

No freshness info apparent on the bottle. Poured in to snifter.

A - Hazy medium amber with a thin coating of dirty white head.

S - Pungent pine aroma up front with some tangerine and grapefruit. A light honey malt sweetness is also evident.

T - An assertive bitterness up front with pine, grapefruit and tangerine flavours and a fairly prominent honey malt sweetness that provides good balance.

M - Medium body, sticky. Lots of resinous hop oils. Light carbonation.

3.26/5  rDev -17.5%

Bottle brought in to share by Curran.

Pours a golden amber color, with a half inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells quite strongly of caramel malt and honey, almost feels like a barleywine. A little bit of pine is noted, but it doesn't really smell hoppy at all.

This definitely drinks like a barleywine more so than a DIPA. There's a bit of cloying honey, caramel malt, brown sugar, some bitterness, a bit of pine. At least no alcohol is present. Unfortunately, it it was a barleywine, it wouldn't really be a good barleywine.

This one has a thick syrupy mouthfeel, and a big body, with low carbonation. Not all that drinkable.

This one didn't quite work, I'm not sure why it's rated the way it is.

3.61/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 fluid ounce bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is dark amber in color with amber highlights. This is one of the darkest IIPA's that I have seen. It is topped with two inches of tan head.

S - The aroma has some caramel malt, alcohol, pine, and honey.

T - The taste starts out with some caramel malt and is quickly overwhelmed by bitter hops. The honey sweetens things a little.

M - Medium.

O - I liked it better on tap which is the case with a lot of beers.

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Pours a deep copper color, with a thick chalky head and a bit of lacing. Lots of citrus, bread, malt, caramel in the nose. The palate is equally malty with sweet caramel, bread, biscuits and loads of hops: tropical (pineapple, mango) and citrus (red grapefruit, tangerine). Full and round mouthfeel with a proper amount of carbonation. A very tasty brew.

4.24/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

At crunchys and in a bottle on 3/7/13. About $4 in a bottle and less then that at crunchys cause it was half off sunday

Very volital aroma. lots of sugary sweetness, floral, earthy, and fruity. The aroma is very unique. A decent amount of alcohol as well. Color is a murky red/brown. The head is a egg shell white and leaves globs of lacing along the snifter, dies relatively fast.

Quite hot like most of their beers. Very intense mixture of sweet and alcohol. Lots of grapefruit and citrus in this one. Piney bitter finish. very smooth medium body.

Very good beer overall. On tap I felt that it could have used a bit more of a boast in flavor but in the bottle it was as powerful as I expected.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Brother Benjamin last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I'm continuing my way through Greenbush's lineup and I decided to go with this Double IPA tonight, I have had their Norton 11 and I thought it was good, so I have high hopes for this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter

A- The label looks ok, but I find it to be a little odd looking, it's weird. It poured a hazy brunt orange color that didn't let much light come through, when held to the light it just had a slight darker orange hue to it with two and half fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a very good looking DIPA, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight honey like aroma followed by lots of hops, there's some floral and slightly pine like aromas followed by lots of citrus hops that seem to dominate the aroma and are full of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and citrus rind aromas with a slight peach aroma coming through. The malts show up towards the end and impart a medium caramel and bread malt aroma. This beer has a very good aroma, it's balanced yet full of citrus hop aromas that remind me of Hopslam, I think the aroma is just as good.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but not as intense and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a light honey like flavor and was followed by loads of hops mainly floral and citrus hops with the citrus hops sticking out a little more and imparting flavors of all the fruits that I picked up in the aroma, they are just a little lighter though. Up next comes some malts which impart some bready and slight caramel like flavors followed by a medium amount of warming alcohol. On the finish there's a pretty high amount medium bitterness that is right on the border of being pretty damn bitter and it had a sweet and citrus hop like aftertaste. This is a good tasting DIPA, I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, a little creamy, on the full side of being medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a DIPA, it was balanced nicely and it had a very enjoyable hop profile, but it seems to be a little short of being as good as some of the elite DIPA's. This beer had decent drinkability for the style, it was fairly smooth, not overly bitter, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, but it was a little boozy so I think one would be enough for me, but If i didn't have anything to do the next day I could see drinking a couple of these, but it's not something I would do often. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was very good and it was so full of citrus hops that it smelled like a sweet and slightly floral fruit juice, I really enjoyed it and I couldn't stop smelling it. What I liked the least about this beer was how much the warming alcohol stuck out, it wasn't super boozy, but It was pretty warming and I think the alcohol could have been hidden just a little better. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good DIPA, but I think it's a little pricey and if it was a little cheaper I think I would buy it more often. I recommend this to anyone who likes DIPA, i think any DIPA fan would really like the aroma of this beer, I know I did. All in all I was happy with this beer and I enjoyed it, it didn't blow my mind, and I wouldn't put it up there with my top three DIPA's, but I still think it's good nonetheless and I like the fact that this beer is readily available. Greenbush is putting out some pretty good beers, I have yet to have one of their bottled beers that I didn't like, I have to say that the last couple beers from them have really peaked my interest in this brewery and they are now on the list of brewery's I need to visit, good job guys, this is a good DIPA,

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Greenbush has a honey IPA! It's great, and go ahead, compare it to the Hopslam, you'll be presently surprised. Great beer!

3.26/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: a deep orange. a bit hazy and a nice off white head that leaves a lacing

Smell: big in your face hops. i can tell there is a strong malt presence as well but i have trouble getting past the hops

Taste: starts off with citrus and piney hops, and an intense bitterness blocks out the rest of the beer from my taste buds. i can pick up more but there's no way i can tell what is going on through this sea of hops

Mouthfeel: extremely bitter and pretty heavy.

Overall: I think i need to work up to this one. for now this is my rating but I may have to revisit it after working my way up to hop bombs. it certainly has a lot of potential and greenbush does know their way around the hops

3.46/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Darker amber in color, with a firm, off-white head, that retained as a ringlet, and left some dots of lacing on the glass. Nose was fairly malty for an IPA, with some honey sweetness, pithy hops. In the taste, grapefruit pith, candied orange peel, bubblegum, persistent sugars--pale malts, honey--which took the edge off any hop bitterness that may have been present. Kind of like tropical candy. Not really my kind of IPA, but it was actually still pretty good. Light-medium body, and decently drinkable.

These guys are doing something right. I would put this on par with Bell's Hopslam. This is a terrific DIPA with some great honey sweetness to balance out the aggressive Hop Bitterness. Please excuse not formatting this by category. Hands down, would recommend.

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Poured a one finger off white mixed tiny to big bubble frothy head with a ruby reddish cloudy body. Nice looking but does not look like a traditional double IPA. Looks well carbonated with plenty of bubbles streaming up off the bottom. Smoke came out of the bottle when opened. Looks to have a yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle so be careful when pouring this out.

S - Smell pretty well balanced with a sweet malt caramel backbone and some piney earthy hops coming in after. Not picking up much more then that on the smell. Wish the smell was more pungent with hops.

T - The taste on this one is mostly malt caramel/breadiness sweetness with hops earthy/piney following like on the nose. Not sure how old the bottle is on this one with no date. Booze comes in last on the palate and does a decent job at moving the flavors along so your ready for another sip. There is also a burnt flavor in it. Not a traditional tasting Double IPA and can not see how this is a 114 IBUs.

M - Simpley lovely on the mouth with a nice creamy frothy chewy full body. My tongue does feel the alcohol on this one.

O - Nice tasting beer and is pleasant but I can not see how this one is classified a double IPA. It reminds me more of an barely wine then anything. Who knows, I might have an old bottle but I'm not getting the hops I thought I would; leaving me to believe the bottle is past its prime. Wish they dated their bottles. Had to dock some point here. Better luck next time, cheers!

4.06/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance is beautiful, deep almost red amber color, almost opaque and I like that. This beer has character. Smell is fantastic!I smell apple, alcohol, and herbal-pine-citrus hops. In your face hop flower goodness. Taste is what Id expect after smelling it. This is a strong beer, the alcohol is not well hidden, but for the way this one turned out, Im digging that, its a big beer. Almost like a barley wine. Mouthfeel is nice, almost chewy, definitely not light. Its a bit on the expensive side at 15 a 4 pack, but compared to the 10 dollar 4 pack also purchased at the same time, which shall remain nameless, this one kicked its ass and was well worth it!

3.72/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This dipa pours a very cloudy deep amber color with a ton of sediment and an off white head that gives way to a nice film and lacing. The nose is rich and malty with some notes of spice and pine, maybe even a little west coast citrus. The flavor is deep and rich encompassing all the notes the aroma had foretold. This is a delicious beer only hindered by a distinct alcohol bite. This is a 10%+er and it does not hide it. I love a strong beer but not everyone will feel the same way. Id love to try this one fresher because I feel like it is meant to be so much more.

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Radiant amber/maple syrup/orange body, little to medium smooth off-white head, hazy and a bit transparent (not really)

S: Definitely has a nice, elegant, honey presence….pineapple, citrus, orange, some resin & caramel malt….grapefruit/tropical fruit

T: Nicely balanced: fruit (tropical/grapefruit), citrusy hops, honey, orange, lime, caramel malt, pineapple, and mango… pine bitterness…I found this to be fairly smooth considering the ABV

M: Medium-to-full-bodied

O: Got this guy from my good friend Kenny Leeper…a good friend indeed…and will have to concur with his opinion that this guy right here puts up a good fight against Hopslam: extravagant; mouthwatering; juicy…just a tasty beverage I would gladly have again - Thank you Sir

2.51/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a reddish copper amber color. Produced some good white froth and lacing.

(S)- A fairly spiced yet sweet caramel malt body meets a yeasty bubblegum, lemon, and grapefruit citrus. A bit odd with the yeast acting a bit strange in an almost hefeweiss type of aroma.

(T)- A touch strange. Kind of spiced with a potent yeast profile. Almost bubblegum in flavor with a potent caramel sweetness.

(M)- The carbonation level is fine, but the yeast really seems to be off-centered and causing this to be a bit off considering this is supposed to be a DIPA.

(O)- Not bad, but definitely a strange version of a DIPA for sure. Not one of Greenbush's best.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Rich burnt orange color with a perfect, full white head. Light aroma of pineapple, honey, citrus. Huge flavor, more on the sweet side of honey and caramel. Sweetness is balanced by finishing hop bitterness and tangy citrus. Very rich with miniscule signs of alcohol despite the abv. Drinks similar to barleywines I've had. Something about the flavor combo doesn't sit as well as it should in the finish. Other than that, I like it.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Greenbush branded snifter

Pours a golden amber capped by a slight off white two finger head. Excellent retention, significant lacing. Tropical fruit, mango and papaya especially, floral notes round out the nose. The taste follows the nose initially, hint of caramel, the honey comes through midpalate, finishes with light grapefruit bitterness combined with light caramel and honey-tinged floral notes. Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, slick and silky. Very nice beer. More balanced than modern day hop heads might prefer; but a solid DIPA that more seasoned veterans might enjoy more.

to view more.