Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Brother Benjamin - Greenbush Brewing Company

Brother BenjaminBrother Benjamin

Greenbush Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: divineaudio on 11-09-2012

These guys are doing something right. I would put this on par with Bell's Hopslam. This is a terrific DIPA with some great honey sweetness to balance out the aggressive Hop Bitterness. Please excuse not formatting this by category. Hands down, would recommend.

4.87/5  rDev +29.2%

Appearance is a deep amber, copper with minimal head.

Smell. Honey, hops.

Pours nicely in a tulip glass with minimal lacing. Lots of sediment.

Smooth honey taste with hint of banana and very slight spice, hops, then alcohol presence on the back.

Great DIPA, right up there on the favorite list. Hopslam is a second to this for me.

4.6/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorites from a great brewery right here in the Mitten. This one is all that you expect from a honey DIPA. Smooth, sweet, warm, and floral. The ABV is hidden well, too well. I'd love to have a few of these in a sitting, but one and I'm done. Absolutely a delicious must have.

4.59/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A hop bomb from the northeast. I live in Hawaii so I get a lot of the California doubles like Pliny, Knee Deep, etc., and this ranks right up their with them in my opinion.

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a Spiegelau glass. I added this beer into a mix 6 pack at the Garden Center / Grocery Store in Sawyer, having somewhat high expectations as it was $3.99/bottle.

A: Pours a medium brown color with over a finger of off white head that reduces fairly slowly and leaves great lacing. Surprised how dark this is in color, brown with a slightly copper tone.
S: Wafting aroma of a good mix of citrus, pine, and honey. I get pine in the front, honey throughout, and the lemony citrus as a slight compliment. Very impressed with how this one comes across.
T: Pine and citrus up front, and a long lingering honey after taste. I'm getting some heat here too, which is acceptable for over 10%.
M: Carbed well, extremely bitter, and leaves a mildly dry after taste.
O: Finding a beer like this on a whim is a large part of why I love craft beer. I had never heard of Greenbush before snagging this one, and I've got to say I'm very impressed with their first beer I've tried. Very reminiscent of another Michigan beer also brewed with honey, however I think I prefer this one.

4.39/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding beer . Beautiful amber color. Floral and a touch bitter. I found myself wanting another. It packs a punch but not anything irritating. Just really mellow. It almost has a creamy taste and is definitely hop forward. I plan to take this to our home "Up North" so I can sit on the deck and look at the lake and just feel great. Not an everyday six pack beer but who drinks those anyway??

4.39/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours that thick, dark, orangey ruddy color, that isn't all that great to look at, but often is very good. I like ales filtered or not, so, no big deal here, but really not a looker either. Anyway, smells floral, complex, somewhat boozy and sweet with little malt forwardness (a good thing). Taste is great. Mouthfeel explodes, and at the right temperature, the bitterness just sings. Great echo of the hops...really carries along. I think temperature of this one is more than key: mid-fifities and this DIPA flies. I really liked this fresh bottle. I'd buy a 4/6.

4.37/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Beautiful orange/amber color. Pures a little hazy with about two fingers of eggshell head. Pretty sticky full layer of lacing that doesn't go away. Very good looking beer.

S- Smells excellent. Very hop forward. Floral with tons of citrus. I'm really getting a creamy orange scent. I would rate a little higher if the aroma was stronger and didn't die out quite as quick.

T- Tastes awesome. Very balanced. Very creamy. Very hoppy with a nice bitter finish. Love it.

Mouthfeel- Also excellent. Sticky sweet, medium body, and creamy. Bubbles are small and lingering.

O- Highly drinkable and alcoholic. I'd like a little heavier mouthfeel and a little more depth, but still this beer is awesome. An excellent beer from and excellent brewery.

4.24/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

At crunchys and in a bottle on 3/7/13. About $4 in a bottle and less then that at crunchys cause it was half off sunday

Very volital aroma. lots of sugary sweetness, floral, earthy, and fruity. The aroma is very unique. A decent amount of alcohol as well. Color is a murky red/brown. The head is a egg shell white and leaves globs of lacing along the snifter, dies relatively fast.

Quite hot like most of their beers. Very intense mixture of sweet and alcohol. Lots of grapefruit and citrus in this one. Piney bitter finish. very smooth medium body.

Very good beer overall. On tap I felt that it could have used a bit more of a boast in flavor but in the bottle it was as powerful as I expected.

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz. Hazy dark orange pour. A thick fine bubbled white head. Retained very well.

Aroma, Some resiny pine and citrus. Fairly balanced with some malty candied caramel.

Taste, yellow raisin and caramel. Quickly goes into heavy citrus. Grapefruit. A very dry finish, with the bitter lingering nicely.

Probably a little over medium bodied. Creamy and coating, but the dryness keeps it all in check. Alcohol is very well hidden, drinks dangerously easy.

One of the better new DIPAs I've had in a while. Would recommend even if just to try. Thumbs up for this one Greenbush.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Brother Benjamin last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I'm continuing my way through Greenbush's lineup and I decided to go with this Double IPA tonight, I have had their Norton 11 and I thought it was good, so I have high hopes for this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter

A- The label looks ok, but I find it to be a little odd looking, it's weird. It poured a hazy brunt orange color that didn't let much light come through, when held to the light it just had a slight darker orange hue to it with two and half fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a very good looking DIPA, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight honey like aroma followed by lots of hops, there's some floral and slightly pine like aromas followed by lots of citrus hops that seem to dominate the aroma and are full of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and citrus rind aromas with a slight peach aroma coming through. The malts show up towards the end and impart a medium caramel and bread malt aroma. This beer has a very good aroma, it's balanced yet full of citrus hop aromas that remind me of Hopslam, I think the aroma is just as good.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but not as intense and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a light honey like flavor and was followed by loads of hops mainly floral and citrus hops with the citrus hops sticking out a little more and imparting flavors of all the fruits that I picked up in the aroma, they are just a little lighter though. Up next comes some malts which impart some bready and slight caramel like flavors followed by a medium amount of warming alcohol. On the finish there's a pretty high amount medium bitterness that is right on the border of being pretty damn bitter and it had a sweet and citrus hop like aftertaste. This is a good tasting DIPA, I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, a little creamy, on the full side of being medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a DIPA, it was balanced nicely and it had a very enjoyable hop profile, but it seems to be a little short of being as good as some of the elite DIPA's. This beer had decent drinkability for the style, it was fairly smooth, not overly bitter, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, but it was a little boozy so I think one would be enough for me, but If i didn't have anything to do the next day I could see drinking a couple of these, but it's not something I would do often. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was very good and it was so full of citrus hops that it smelled like a sweet and slightly floral fruit juice, I really enjoyed it and I couldn't stop smelling it. What I liked the least about this beer was how much the warming alcohol stuck out, it wasn't super boozy, but It was pretty warming and I think the alcohol could have been hidden just a little better. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good DIPA, but I think it's a little pricey and if it was a little cheaper I think I would buy it more often. I recommend this to anyone who likes DIPA, i think any DIPA fan would really like the aroma of this beer, I know I did. All in all I was happy with this beer and I enjoyed it, it didn't blow my mind, and I wouldn't put it up there with my top three DIPA's, but I still think it's good nonetheless and I like the fact that this beer is readily available. Greenbush is putting out some pretty good beers, I have yet to have one of their bottled beers that I didn't like, I have to say that the last couple beers from them have really peaked my interest in this brewery and they are now on the list of brewery's I need to visit, good job guys, this is a good DIPA,

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but was released recently. Pours very hazy reddish orange color with a nice 2 finger dense cream colored head with incredible retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big orange zest, grapefruit, orange rind, peach, pineapple, pine, floral, honey, caramel, bread, floral earthiness, and pine resin. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of hop notes; with good malt balance that isn’t overdone. Taste of orange zest, pineapple, orange rind, grapefruit, peach, pineapple, pine, floral, honey, caramel, and floral earthiness. Good amount of piney citrus bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus zest, citrus rind, pineapple, peach, pine resin, floral, honey, caramel, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic balance and complexity of hop flavors; with a solid malt balance that isn’t too strong; and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a creamy, sticky, lightly slick, and lightly crisp mouthfeel that is very nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with hardly any warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent DIPA! Great balance and complexity of hop flavors with solid malt balance; and dangerously smooth to sip on. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Rich burnt orange color with a perfect, full white head. Light aroma of pineapple, honey, citrus. Huge flavor, more on the sweet side of honey and caramel. Sweetness is balanced by finishing hop bitterness and tangy citrus. Very rich with miniscule signs of alcohol despite the abv. Drinks similar to barleywines I've had. Something about the flavor combo doesn't sit as well as it should in the finish. Other than that, I like it.

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

12oz bottle, $4.49 at Drakes Party Center in Kalamazoo.

Pours dark amber with a beige, fluffy head of two inches. A solid skim coat and plenty of stringy lacing for the duration.

Aromatics lead off with pungent piney resins, dank-drizzled candies, and fruit skins. A hint of spice-dusted leather and caramel follows through.

On the full side of medium bodied with a chewy, tacky mouthfeel.

Sweet malt starts the palate but a semi-numbing hop assault quickly follows. Resinous and piney with plenty of spicy bite and warming alcohol.

Finishes with lingering malt, piney hops, and boozy alcohol.

Tasty beer but more of a Barleywine than an IIPA. The malt character is almost as big as the hops, which are one-dimensional as well.

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance - Dark golden and very cloudy. Light carbonation but some decent lacing as it was drunk.

Smell - First bottle had a wonderful aroma - lots of honey and tangy hops. The second bottle definitely had a smell of alcohol in addition to the honey and hops.

Taste - A great balance of sweetness and hoppiness. Nice example of an IIPA. The taste lasts through the end of the beer - no diminishing as the mouth is coated.

Mouthfeel - Thick, smooth, even.

Overall - A great IIPA. Due to the high alcohol content, the desired balance of alcohol to hops and honey might be hard to achieve consistently.

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had on-tap at Boat Works in St. Clair Shores, Michigan for $6.25 a pint.

I've been wanting to have this beer for awhile, but most places where I've seen it on draft have charged insane prices... $6.25 a pint for a IIPA that's over 10% is a very fair price. Digging in...

Appearance: A dark amber color. Quite a dark red color... maybe a little darker than I usually expect from even an Imperial IPA. Two finger head sat on top when I got my pint, and it looked awesome. Lacing was sip-for-sip from top to bottom. Nearly a flawless looking beer.

Smell: Sweet. Bursting with a lot of citrus, but there's a solid earthy note as well. I can't pinpoint exactly what fruit it is, but it's a very inviting citrus and tropical aroma. I've smelled better, but this still smells outstanding.

Taste/feel: Yeah, another great beer from Greenbush that I'd give an "A" rating to. The look of it is glorious, the smell is candle-worthy, the taste follows suit with a sweet start, and then bitter, drying finish, and the mouth feel of Brother Benjamin is awesome... medium/full feel that's nearly perfect. The alcohol in this is nearly untraceable, making this a delicious, dangerous beer.

I have certainly had some better Imperial IPAs, but few better that have been over 10%. This is nearly a masterpiece of a beer, and any Double IPA fan should seek this out.

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A - Pours a great copper amber with a finger of caramel head. OK retention, with so so lacing.

S - Huge grapefruit resinous hoppy aroma, grain and caramel malts

T - Honey, resinous bitter hops, lots of sweet caramel followed by citrus rinds and more honey

M - Light bodied+, decent carbonation, quite drinkable

O - Honey and citrus rind deliciousness

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Greenbush branded snifter

Pours a golden amber capped by a slight off white two finger head. Excellent retention, significant lacing. Tropical fruit, mango and papaya especially, floral notes round out the nose. The taste follows the nose initially, hint of caramel, the honey comes through midpalate, finishes with light grapefruit bitterness combined with light caramel and honey-tinged floral notes. Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, slick and silky. Very nice beer. More balanced than modern day hop heads might prefer; but a solid DIPA that more seasoned veterans might enjoy more.

4.09/5  rDev +8.5%

Tatsy take on a balanced double. While the honey makes the hops more palatable for those less acclimated to the very high ibus, it can create an very busy taste profile.

4.09/5  rDev +8.5%

Good beer on its own... But in comparison with similar beers... Just doesn't crack the top offerings.

Starts sweet... But the bitterness is not playing well with the beer.

4.06/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance is beautiful, deep almost red amber color, almost opaque and I like that. This beer has character. Smell is fantastic!I smell apple, alcohol, and herbal-pine-citrus hops. In your face hop flower goodness. Taste is what Id expect after smelling it. This is a strong beer, the alcohol is not well hidden, but for the way this one turned out, Im digging that, its a big beer. Almost like a barley wine. Mouthfeel is nice, almost chewy, definitely not light. Its a bit on the expensive side at 15 a 4 pack, but compared to the 10 dollar 4 pack also purchased at the same time, which shall remain nameless, this one kicked its ass and was well worth it!

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance is amber-orange, translucent, with a small amount of head. Smells citrusy and piney, malty and sweet, and some alcohol. I little more bitter than I expected upon tasting and it has a malt backbone that supports the heavy-handed hoppiness. Finishes sweet and dry and alcohol is evident. The mouthfeel brings an interesting aspect as its oily and slick. Well-carbonated. This one is a tough one to review because there is really only one other imperial ipa made with honey from Michigan. It's good and I'm glad I tried it, but I would rather have a Hopslam.

At first sight this beer is a deep amber with a small head( thats what she said ) with tiny bubbles, looks almost like honey in a glass with a frothiness on top

Smell , You can smell the honey and the sweetness right away then the high IBU smell in between,

Smooth mouth feel , the honey is right on top of your tounge on this one, then dry high ibu feeling in the back of your throat, with the big ass alcohol warming tingle from this gift

Taste like a dipa should , well how i like them anyways , bitter from the high ibu's yet sweet and sorta crisp in flavor. Very drinkable and pleasant . Goes down super easy, no real alcohol flavor or presence for such a big beer.

Over all this is very good in style and all around, The sweetness in this is amazing , pure honey flavor with a touch of citrus, Highly recommend this beer for those who like the higher IBU beers and Those looking to find something with a little twist on a old classic style.

So, I was at my local bottle shop and they had this in their pick six section. Oven been wanting to try it for a while now. Here it goes:

Appearance: reddish copper. Hazy with a off white head. Very heavy lacing on the glass. Really nice

Smell:citrus. Grapefruit, orange, and maybe some pine in there.

Taste: the best way I can describe it is like this: starts with the citrus hops, then a mellow honey taste. All of a sudden, the bitterness come crashing through. Wow! It's very crazy. I like it

Mouthfeel: almost stout like. Thick. But at the same time if can drink this on the deck in the summer. It's very pleasing to the senses

Overall: I like it a lot! It's not a beer I could drink a few of in one night, but a few bottles here and there. Very tasty!

3.99/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Pours a deep amber with a two-finger off white head. Light sticky lacing.

S - Aroma of citrus, honey, and bready malt.

T - Taste starts off sweet with honey and citrus. Some bready malts come through mid-swallow. The hops give the finish a nice bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Smooth creamy mouthfeel. Sticky & dry finish.

O - Not the best DIPA I've ever had, but still very good. Fans of malty DIPAs should definetly check this out.

Brother Benjamin from Greenbush Brewing Company