Brother Benjamin - Greenbush Brewing Company

Beer added by: divineaudio on 11-09-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.14/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

this was a huge huge disappointment all around, not least because it shares my name. it pours nice enough, tarnished bronze in color and mostly clear, with a bold white head that lasts. the nose on it is off, like something has gone terribly wrong, its not really hoppy at all, but rather sweet and just downright weird, floral and chemical laden, I do not understand why this smells like it does, but its turning me right off. the taste is the same, only the off elements are intensified. its like bad compost, preservative acid, and decaying hops that are only bitter and lack flavor almost entirely. its more like an American barleywine gone wrong than an ipa, with a huge and messy grain bill. the feel is like licking a battery, burns the whole palate from all the alcohol. fusel notes dominate the finish, carbonation tapers off, and the beer is undrinkable in terms of both size and flavor. im writing about this like its a crap macro ice beer instead of a craft ipa, which is maybe unfair, but the bar has been set awfully high for craft ipa, and I expect a lot more from a brewer who takes pride in his product. this is a few levels below even the most basic of double ipas, and greenbush owes us one here...

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

12oz bottle, $4.49 at Drakes Party Center in Kalamazoo.

Pours dark amber with a beige, fluffy head of two inches. A solid skim coat and plenty of stringy lacing for the duration.

Aromatics lead off with pungent piney resins, dank-drizzled candies, and fruit skins. A hint of spice-dusted leather and caramel follows through.

On the full side of medium bodied with a chewy, tacky mouthfeel.

Sweet malt starts the palate but a semi-numbing hop assault quickly follows. Resinous and piney with plenty of spicy bite and warming alcohol.

Finishes with lingering malt, piney hops, and boozy alcohol.

Tasty beer but more of a Barleywine than an IIPA. The malt character is almost as big as the hops, which are one-dimensional as well.

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: ruddy brown body with an off-white two finger head that leaves tons of sticky lacing. The body color is not all that pleasing but, the lacing is very good.

Aroma: floral, pine sap, earthy caramel and grains; while I am drinking the pine note seems to change to a grapefruit rind note.

Flavors: the sweet dark amber honey is noticeable and it seems to control the hoppy style; notes of pink grapefruit, floral-herbal, earthy caramel, sour bread, multigrain bread, white peppercorn,

Mouthfeel: honey up front and going down the middle with citrus notes swirling around the edges with a dusty white peppercorn finish along with some warmth from the alcohol, a linger citrus peel on the palate, dry, moderate carbonation,
Nice bitterness with a zesty feel and the earthy malts almost mute the hops … almost.

To the Point: I was told since I like Hopslam that I would like this. Well, this is okay. The way I feel right now about this beer I might give it a B. The honey in Hopslam seemed to become part of the hops; example sweet citrus, sweet floral. Maybe Greenbush used a different grade of honey that is earthier and has a touch a caramel. And thinking about that, which could be why the malts standout the way they do.

To me Bell’s Hopslam and Witch’s Hat Big Doedish are top shelf type beers; this is just the next shelf down; give it a try and see what you think. Yes, I would buy this again.

3.15/5  rDev -16.7%

"Imperial India Pale Ale brewed with honey." 10.1% ABV confirmed. 114 IBUs. 12 fl oz bottle with branded green pressure cap and interesting label served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Acquired from the very generous surlytheduff in a trade; I received my box today. Thanks again, buddy! Expectations are somewhat high given its current high ratings.

Served cold, straight from a cooler. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger light khaki colour head of nice cream, nice thickness, and very good (~5 minute) retention for the high ABV. Uneven lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a dark murky copper. Nontransparent; semitranslucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Pretty dark for the style; the colour isn't quite ideal. But it does seem different, and I'm intrigued. Impressed with the head retention, to be sure. Somewhat rich and understated rather than vibrant. It has my attention.

Sm: Caramalts. Honey. Floral hops. Heavy heavy pine - almost like one of those pine car fresheners. A hint of citrus on the back end. This is not the usual bright juicy citrusy imperial IPA I've come to expect. It's strangely malty. Assertive, with herbal hop notes and maybe even some spice - pepper perhaps. Brown sugar. Brown bread. Heavy grains. Caramel is dominant. A hefty aroma of moderate to strong punch. For an imperial IPA, I'm not sure it's all that appealing. But I'm intrigued. This could either be good or terrible. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: Heavy heavy pine joins with substantial caramalts and a bit of biscuit malt. Some biscuity hops as well - perhaps amarillo? Some sort of unrefined sugar on the climax. Perhaps marshmallow as well. Grainy as well, with some brown bread touches to boot. Dark honey when I look for it. Alcohol is present here, but tolerable. Really really malty for an imperial IPA. Herbal, lightly dank, piney hops. Not very floral, and there's no citrusy, nectary, or even oily hop character here. No yeast character comes through. The most flavour is on the climax; the rest of the beer is somewhat flat. There's not a whole lot of depth or complexity here, but I do like it. Balances its relatively few notes. Lacks subtlety.

Mf: Too thick and too full-bodied for its lack of flavour. Smooth and wet like it needs to be. It's too filling; there's not enough going on here to justify that. Unrefreshing. Slightly overcarbonated.

Dr: The biggest flaw is definitely the malt focus, followed by the relative simplicity given what a commitment a glass of this beer is. Not sure the high ABV and thick texture is worth the flavour payoff. There are interesting things going on with piney hops here, but overall it's just not that drinkable. It'll take me some time to down this glass. I wouldn't get it again, but I respect what Greenbush is doing with the style. Definitely a different take on an imperial IPA. I'm looking forward to trying more of their beers, but this one isn't really doing it for me like it should be. High alcohol is not that well disguised, though it never comes off boozy or hot.

4.39/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding beer . Beautiful amber color. Floral and a touch bitter. I found myself wanting another. It packs a punch but not anything irritating. Just really mellow. It almost has a creamy taste and is definitely hop forward. I plan to take this to our home "Up North" so I can sit on the deck and look at the lake and just feel great. Not an everyday six pack beer but who drinks those anyway??

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

It's good to see new breweries springing up and bottling their stuff in my home state. If there's one thing I'll never complain about - it's having too much beer to chose from. Brother Benjamin pours a murky, swamp-brown color, only showing a faint copper essence near the very bottom of the glass. Save for that area, it's completely opaque with lots of little yeast-looking sediment floating about. The foamy, thin-bubbled, khaki head is probably the saving grace of the appearance as it has nice staying power and leaves some traces of lacing behind.

Some sweet grapefruit rinds jump out at my nostrils right away - the sweetness quickly turns into a heavier bitterness that's very pungent to the senses. Some hints of spice and white pepper, giving the hops an herbal and earthy feel. Some light honey sweetness squeezes its way into things, too. I'm picking up a very light tartness that occasionally shows up and occasionally does not. Hard to pinpoint or really put my finger on, but it's definitely something to note. Heavy malt underneath - lots of bread and even a good dose of caramel. Looks like this could be a malt-heavy, East Coast style DIPA.

Well, well, not only is it a malt-heavy DIPA, it's a malt-ONLY DIPA. Just kidding... but, seriously. This malt bill in this bad boy is absolutely huge - so much so that it even overpowers the hop bill just a tad. Huge bread flavors segue into a caramel and toffee backbone that injects some seemingly residual sweetness into the brew. Hops seem secondary, surprisingly enough; herbal, ashy, and loaded with a white pepper flavor. Right away, I notice that the flavor is quite different than the aroma. Not so sure I agree with the disconnect there.

Any detectable fruit in the flavor (which is plenty) is typically of the "bitter" type - meaning lots of pith, peel, and spicy zest flavors rather than the juicy or sweeter type of flavors you'd get from something like Citra hops. I want to say orange zest and grapefruit pith are the most notable fruits in this one. Booze is apparent - not too surprising given the 10+% ABV, although there are plenty of similarly injected beers that hide the alcohol much more elegantly. Aftertaste is reasonably dry and sustainably bitter. Lots of fading caramel notes, bitter fruits, and ashy hops. The body on this is huge - close you eyes and it feels like a stout. Sticky and thick on the palate with medium carbonation.

I don't like this one as much as everyone else, and perhaps it's because I'm not particularly partial to the malt-heavy IPAs. Or at least in this case, I wasn't the biggest fan of the hop bill that was chosen to pair with the heavy malt underbody. I was able to force it down, but it's safe to say that I won't be revisiting this one anytime soon. Or ever. Just too sweet and fat on the palate.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Poured a one finger off white mixed tiny to big bubble frothy head with a ruby reddish cloudy body. Nice looking but does not look like a traditional double IPA. Looks well carbonated with plenty of bubbles streaming up off the bottom. Smoke came out of the bottle when opened. Looks to have a yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle so be careful when pouring this out.

S - Smell pretty well balanced with a sweet malt caramel backbone and some piney earthy hops coming in after. Not picking up much more then that on the smell. Wish the smell was more pungent with hops.

T - The taste on this one is mostly malt caramel/breadiness sweetness with hops earthy/piney following like on the nose. Not sure how old the bottle is on this one with no date. Booze comes in last on the palate and does a decent job at moving the flavors along so your ready for another sip. There is also a burnt flavor in it. Not a traditional tasting Double IPA and can not see how this is a 114 IBUs.

M - Simpley lovely on the mouth with a nice creamy frothy chewy full body. My tongue does feel the alcohol on this one.

O - Nice tasting beer and is pleasant but I can not see how this one is classified a double IPA. It reminds me more of an barely wine then anything. Who knows, I might have an old bottle but I'm not getting the hops I thought I would; leaving me to believe the bottle is past its prime. Wish they dated their bottles. Had to dock some point here. Better luck next time, cheers!

3.67/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, Spartan213!

Distinct copper color with more of a honey and dark orange near the thinner edges. Persistent, creamy, khaki colored head. Leaves irregular, large spots of stick down the glass. Pretty IPA.

Dank citrus (grapefruit) aroma, combined with cookie malt sweetness, definite honey character, and just a bit of alcohol presence.

Moderate to highly bitter, grapefruit zest and flesh, shortbread cookie sweetness, and a bit of booze combine. This is quite drinkable for the known ABV. Unsurprisingly, this reminds me of Hopslam, though perhaps a bit less refined.

Medium to near-full in body for the style, with moderate but creamy carbonation. Very drinkable.

Coming away quite impressed with this one, though I had no idea what to expect.

3.89/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

No freshness info apparent on the bottle. Poured in to snifter.

A - Hazy medium amber with a thin coating of dirty white head.

S - Pungent pine aroma up front with some tangerine and grapefruit. A light honey malt sweetness is also evident.

T - An assertive bitterness up front with pine, grapefruit and tangerine flavours and a fairly prominent honey malt sweetness that provides good balance.

M - Medium body, sticky. Lots of resinous hop oils. Light carbonation.

3.44/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

many thanks to zaphog for hooking this one up in a recent BIF. enjoyed from a mystery brewing tulip.

a - poured a fairly deep chestnut brown. has a real barleywine look to it. thin off white cream colored head that hung out for a while and had a creamy look to it.

s - nose resembles a cross between a barleywine and an amber with a hint of cherry that almost resembles cough medicine.

t - taste is also somewhat unexpected having the same amber barleywine vibe with a hint of cough syrup cherry.

m - mentholated vibe from booziness. almost vodka like in the booziness.

o - overall, this wasn't bad, but for a iipa, there are a ton of better options. glad for the taste, but not something i'll be seeking out again.

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

$3.49 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo. Brewed with Maris Otter Pale, Belgian Munich, Belgian Aromatic, Caramel Malt 60, Honey Malt, Beet sugar and Clover Honey. Hopped with Columbus and Cascade. Fermented with "House yeast".
114 ibu, 10.1% ABV, 15º Lovibond

Pours out to a cloudy light brown, very dark for an Imperial IPA. Lots of sediment despite sitting in the fridge for 2 weeks and a careful decant. Forms a modest light yellow head with good retention and solid sheets of lace. Carbonation is somewhat mild, ~ 2.0 carbs. The aroma is good, but the hops are not quite as pungent as I would expect for the style (if you're using just columbus and cascade, it's not gonna happen). Slightly bready, boozy, moderate munich and C60 nose. Mouthfeel is fullbodied, lightly boozy, soft owing to the mild carbonation and the finish is moderately astringent due to the hops. Big malt body, some peppery alcohols in the middle, dry harsh fusel finish, firm grassy bitterness.

Well, it's a good start but it needs some work. I would cut out the belgian aromatic, change the c60 to c40 and add some Simcoe and Amarillo to the mix to get a more cohesive flavor going. I would also ensure good oxygenation, temp control and pitch rate to cut back on the fusels. Worth a try but nothing I would buy again considering the exorbitant price.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Brother Benjamin last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I'm continuing my way through Greenbush's lineup and I decided to go with this Double IPA tonight, I have had their Norton 11 and I thought it was good, so I have high hopes for this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter

A- The label looks ok, but I find it to be a little odd looking, it's weird. It poured a hazy brunt orange color that didn't let much light come through, when held to the light it just had a slight darker orange hue to it with two and half fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a very good looking DIPA, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight honey like aroma followed by lots of hops, there's some floral and slightly pine like aromas followed by lots of citrus hops that seem to dominate the aroma and are full of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and citrus rind aromas with a slight peach aroma coming through. The malts show up towards the end and impart a medium caramel and bread malt aroma. This beer has a very good aroma, it's balanced yet full of citrus hop aromas that remind me of Hopslam, I think the aroma is just as good.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but not as intense and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a light honey like flavor and was followed by loads of hops mainly floral and citrus hops with the citrus hops sticking out a little more and imparting flavors of all the fruits that I picked up in the aroma, they are just a little lighter though. Up next comes some malts which impart some bready and slight caramel like flavors followed by a medium amount of warming alcohol. On the finish there's a pretty high amount medium bitterness that is right on the border of being pretty damn bitter and it had a sweet and citrus hop like aftertaste. This is a good tasting DIPA, I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, a little creamy, on the full side of being medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a DIPA, it was balanced nicely and it had a very enjoyable hop profile, but it seems to be a little short of being as good as some of the elite DIPA's. This beer had decent drinkability for the style, it was fairly smooth, not overly bitter, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, but it was a little boozy so I think one would be enough for me, but If i didn't have anything to do the next day I could see drinking a couple of these, but it's not something I would do often. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was very good and it was so full of citrus hops that it smelled like a sweet and slightly floral fruit juice, I really enjoyed it and I couldn't stop smelling it. What I liked the least about this beer was how much the warming alcohol stuck out, it wasn't super boozy, but It was pretty warming and I think the alcohol could have been hidden just a little better. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good DIPA, but I think it's a little pricey and if it was a little cheaper I think I would buy it more often. I recommend this to anyone who likes DIPA, i think any DIPA fan would really like the aroma of this beer, I know I did. All in all I was happy with this beer and I enjoyed it, it didn't blow my mind, and I wouldn't put it up there with my top three DIPA's, but I still think it's good nonetheless and I like the fact that this beer is readily available. Greenbush is putting out some pretty good beers, I have yet to have one of their bottled beers that I didn't like, I have to say that the last couple beers from them have really peaked my interest in this brewery and they are now on the list of brewery's I need to visit, good job guys, this is a good DIPA,

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but was released recently. Pours very hazy reddish orange color with a nice 2 finger dense cream colored head with incredible retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big orange zest, grapefruit, orange rind, peach, pineapple, pine, floral, honey, caramel, bread, floral earthiness, and pine resin. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of hop notes; with good malt balance that isn’t overdone. Taste of orange zest, pineapple, orange rind, grapefruit, peach, pineapple, pine, floral, honey, caramel, and floral earthiness. Good amount of piney citrus bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus zest, citrus rind, pineapple, peach, pine resin, floral, honey, caramel, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic balance and complexity of hop flavors; with a solid malt balance that isn’t too strong; and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a creamy, sticky, lightly slick, and lightly crisp mouthfeel that is very nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with hardly any warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent DIPA! Great balance and complexity of hop flavors with solid malt balance; and dangerously smooth to sip on. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.39/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours that thick, dark, orangey ruddy color, that isn't all that great to look at, but often is very good. I like ales filtered or not, so, no big deal here, but really not a looker either. Anyway, smells floral, complex, somewhat boozy and sweet with little malt forwardness (a good thing). Taste is great. Mouthfeel explodes, and at the right temperature, the bitterness just sings. Great echo of the hops...really carries along. I think temperature of this one is more than key: mid-fifities and this DIPA flies. I really liked this fresh bottle. I'd buy a 4/6.

4.37/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Beautiful orange/amber color. Pures a little hazy with about two fingers of eggshell head. Pretty sticky full layer of lacing that doesn't go away. Very good looking beer.

S- Smells excellent. Very hop forward. Floral with tons of citrus. I'm really getting a creamy orange scent. I would rate a little higher if the aroma was stronger and didn't die out quite as quick.

T- Tastes awesome. Very balanced. Very creamy. Very hoppy with a nice bitter finish. Love it.

Mouthfeel- Also excellent. Sticky sweet, medium body, and creamy. Bubbles are small and lingering.

O- Highly drinkable and alcoholic. I'd like a little heavier mouthfeel and a little more depth, but still this beer is awesome. An excellent beer from and excellent brewery.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance is amber-orange, translucent, with a small amount of head. Smells citrusy and piney, malty and sweet, and some alcohol. I little more bitter than I expected upon tasting and it has a malt backbone that supports the heavy-handed hoppiness. Finishes sweet and dry and alcohol is evident. The mouthfeel brings an interesting aspect as its oily and slick. Well-carbonated. This one is a tough one to review because there is really only one other imperial ipa made with honey from Michigan. It's good and I'm glad I tried it, but I would rather have a Hopslam.

3.99/5  rDev +5.6%

A - amber / brown with a 3 fingers of foamy off white head. Leaves nice rings after every sip.

S - Huge floral punch, citrus, malts, bread dough, resinous.

T - A very wet hop profile, oily hops, malt forward, hop resin, baked sweet bread, nicely balanced.

O - Very solid offering here. I would definitely try this again. This is the second bottle I've had from GB and both IPA's have a similar oily, and resinous taste and feel. Look for more to come from GB.

3.61/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 fluid ounce bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is dark amber in color with amber highlights. This is one of the darkest IIPA's that I have seen. It is topped with two inches of tan head.

S - The aroma has some caramel malt, alcohol, pine, and honey.

T - The taste starts out with some caramel malt and is quickly overwhelmed by bitter hops. The honey sweetens things a little.

M - Medium.

O - I liked it better on tap which is the case with a lot of beers.

4.24/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

At crunchys and in a bottle on 3/7/13. About $4 in a bottle and less then that at crunchys cause it was half off sunday

Very volital aroma. lots of sugary sweetness, floral, earthy, and fruity. The aroma is very unique. A decent amount of alcohol as well. Color is a murky red/brown. The head is a egg shell white and leaves globs of lacing along the snifter, dies relatively fast.

Quite hot like most of their beers. Very intense mixture of sweet and alcohol. Lots of grapefruit and citrus in this one. Piney bitter finish. very smooth medium body.

Very good beer overall. On tap I felt that it could have used a bit more of a boast in flavor but in the bottle it was as powerful as I expected.

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured in to my non-traditional tulip pint, the color up front is caramel or deep amber; heading-wise, there is some solid beige froth; consistent lacing that stays sip after sip; the beer is very rich in citrus aromas with a touch of dry floral; there are some additional notes of grapefruit and cake-bread; the hops used in this beer 'feel' really bite-y, with a lot of pine-forward and semi-bitter finishes; you can taste the booze in this, although that doesn't make it un-balanced; it's also full of grapefruit notes on the back-end. Solid overall.

3.57/5  rDev -5.6%

picked up a four pack from the brewpub last weekend. undated 12oz bottle into a wine glass.

a - pours a hazy, deep copper shade with a thin film of tan head on top. leaves a few legs of lacing in the glass.

s - honey, toffee, pineapple, grapefruit, grass, faint alcohol.

t - very malt forward with a west cost style bitterness to balance things out a bit. starts off with toffee notes and some sweeter citrus, but quickly moves into herbal, resinous hop territory. noticeable alcohol taste in the finish which contributes to the bitterness.

m - fuller side of medium in body with not quite enough carbonation, finer co2 profile, serious alcohol warming. also a little on the sticky side.

o - i tried some of this at the detroit fall beer fest and was quite impressed, but this bottle is a bit underwhelming. i can totally see this being compared to hopslam, but i think this recipe needs to be refined just a bit before there can be any real competition. still a tasty beer and totally worth trying if you come across it.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last